Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2007, 22:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Route info. - Lakkavalli Forest Range..

I'm planning to visit Lakkavalli (Bhadra WIldlife Sanctuary) this week. I may start early in the morning on Friday or late in the afternoon on Thursday and should be back by Saturday night. I'm looking for help on following. See if you can pass on some information to me.

* Hopefully this is the right time I have chosen to visit this place

* I've a plan to stay at Forest Rest House, Lakkavalli. Later I came to know that JLR (RTL) is also there in the same area - I may switch to RTL if I plan to have more activities (which right now I'm not looking for). I'm little adventurous but not going to be this time as I'm with my family. However, we love spending time in WLS doing nothing..(I'm going with my wife and a kid, none of the friends have yet confirmed that they will join - Lakkavalli FRH has still got one room available..)

* The Best, Scenic route to reach Lakkavalli - an alternate route while returning is also welcome. I have read a lot about BababudanGiri and that ghat section; I'm excited that I'll get to see that route soon. However following is the root that I can see from LiveSearch and doesnt seem to be going via bababudangiri :(

Bangalore >> Tumkur >> Tiptur >> Birur >> Tarikere >> Lakkavalli

* Suggest me the best / scenic route if you guys have a better idea about this area and also any other places around this area that we can club (mostly we are going to be lazy just going for safari and reading Kenneth Anderson - No activities.. )

Thanks in advance.
Old 11th September 2007, 22:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

The route you have suggested is by far the best and shortest route, not much scenic, but if you want to drive into the baba budangiri range that is a bit of a detour.

River tern lodge is amazing, good log cottages with grand views, and now there is plenty of water too, so it's the best season.

The jungle safari is very good too, not much wildlife to be spotted but it is a very thick jungle, and if you want to stay in an ancient cottage in the heart of the jungle you need to carry everything. The forest department looks after this cottage. No electricity, water -nothing! just the kind of place to be adventurous.

Good choice of a vacation. Have fun and drive safe.
Cheers.
Old 12th September 2007, 08:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Ketan, I suggest you go there via NH206 route, spend the saturday in the sanctuary

On return drive through the scenic Kemmanagundi - Chikamagalur route, you can see the Muliyangiri range (which is motorable now)...Then return via chikamagalure - Belur - hassan - Bangalore route... This is the most scenic route...
There is a Kamat Upachar between Hassan and Channarayanpatna which will come on your side while return, where you can plan your lunch/tea break...

Abhi
Old 12th September 2007, 12:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

If you are deciding to come via Kemmangundi-BabaBudangiri then be prepared to face some real bad road. Not that the whole stretch is bad but road starting from Kemmangundi towards BBGiri,first 6-7 km were very bad road.I went there in March and I dunno if the road condition is same or it is repaired.But the scenic beauty very well compensate for the road condition and I would love to go there again even if the roads are bad.
And if you are taking this route then don't forget to visit Muliyangiri, a slight detour of around 8kms, on the way to Chikmagalur from BBGiri.
Old 12th September 2007, 13:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thank you guys,
I'll be taking the normal route (Bangalore >> Tumkur >> Tiptur >> Birur >> Tarikere >> Lakkavalli
)while going from here as it would be the second half of the day.

I shall try BBGiri/Mulyangiri while returning.
Old 12th September 2007, 13:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Thank you guys,
I'll be taking the normal route (Bangalore >> Tumkur >> Tiptur >> Birur >> Tarikere >> Lakkavalli
)while going from here as it would be the second half of the day.

I shall try BBGiri/Mulyangiri while returning.

Badra WLS is a amazing place and the drive from the Nh to lakavali is nice....if you wana come back via kemmangundi or muliangiri then be ready to face some bad roads... as mentioned earlier..

100_1244.jpg :: Postcard - 4 @ Fotopic.Net
Old 14th December 2007, 14:03   #7

Hi !

I a new member on this forum (first post/reply) - joined a month back.

Am planning to do a similar trip around the 20th Dec07.
My plan is to do :
- B'lore-Hassan-CKM-Attigundi-Sampigehatti -a local resort
and then
- local resort- sampigehatti-kemangundi-lingadahalli-tarikere-Jungle Lodge at Bhadra

I will be using a FORD Mondeo for the trip and will be spread over a week.

I need help and info on :
- how are the road conditions - especially for the 2nd part of the trip
- is there a better route to take for the 2nd part of the trip
- which would be a good map/s to buy for this trip (and for roads in India in general) - I have the eicher road atlas, but do not find it too detailed
- will my FORD Mondeo find the roads pleasant !!(have already changed the oil sump once, but then that was because a Scorpio forced me off road near Chickballpur)

Thanks in advance !

Regards,
vasudey1
Old 7th October 2008, 16:04   #8

I m planning a trip from Bangalore to Lakkavalli. I m going to Jungle lodges in Bandra. I have read many post that mention that the NH206 & BH Road are in horrible state. Pl. suggest alternate route to reach Lakkavalli, the objective is the reach in the shortest possible travel time.
Old 7th October 2008, 16:07   #9

Folks : I m planning to do Bangalore to Lakkavalli. I m planning a trip to Jungle lodges property in Bandra. I have read many posts that indicate the bad state of the NH206 & BH Road. Pl. suggest alternate routes to Lakkavalli from Bangalore. I want to reach in the shortest possible time (by car)
Old 7th October 2008, 17:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

GOTG, there is nothing wrong with the route - Bangalore >> Tumkur >> Tiptur >> Birur >> Tarikere >> Lakkavalli,
You can do normal highway speeds, only after you turn left after the IOC pump just outside Tarikere, the road heading to Lakkavalli is a rural road and not as good as the highway.
Cheers,
Hari.
Old 7th October 2008, 18:14   #11

Thanks Hari. I m also going to Goa and read a lot that this route to Honavar is not good at all, and I m planning to go via Belgaum
Old 7th October 2008, 19:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

If you visit Bhadra Jungle Lodge and come back to Bangalore I suggest try these routes.

1. Bangalore - Tumkur - Tarikere - LakkaValli(aprox. 260km). Expect 10km bad road near Tarikere and 15km bad road near Lakkavalli. At least 220km good road you get in this route out of 260km.

2. Bangalore - Hassan - ChikaMagalur - Tarikere - LakkaValli: around 70km extra compared to route 1 and I feel at least 30km bad road you get here too.

So route1 is best one to visit Jungle Lodge rover turn.

If you proceed to Goa form there go via Shimoga - Sagar - Talguppa - turn right to Siddapur - Sirsi turn left to Devimane ghat road - turn right to Mirjan NH17 - ankola - Karwar - Goa, this route is quiet good.

If you visit go directly from Bangalore I suggest take

chitradurga - haveri - sirsi Devimane ghat road - turn right to Mirjan NH17 - ankola - Karwar - Goa

or

chitradurga - haveri - hubli - turn left to yellapur - ankola - Karwar - Goa

or

Chitradurga - haveri - hubli - belgaum - amboli - Goa

All these routes are equally good or bad whatever you feel.

I suggest best one is via amboli which is scenic as well and laluks has reported its very enjoyable driving there.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 7th October 2008 at 19:54.
Old 7th October 2008, 22:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

According to my experience, the road from Shimoga to Honnavar is bad only once you cross Jog falls and enter the ghats, there you have sporadic stretches of potholed roads, have never driven on roads that Ravibhat has mentioned, so can't comment on those. But, it may be pointed out here that Ravi's take on road conditions are very accurate.
Cheers,
Hari.
Old 8th October 2008, 19:14   #14

Ravi : Thanks a ton for the update. I m going to both Goa & Badra, but on different trips. To go to Goa, I have taken your advice and doing the amboli route (I guess its about 700kms).

Lukeshywalker : Thanks to you as well
Old 8th October 2008, 21:22   #15
Senior - BHPian

My uncle has reached Bangalore at 4PM and he left Honnavar at 6AM came via Jog - Sagar - Shimoga - Bangalore.

He told me around 40km bad roads, few palces they have filled soil/mud/sand or whatever waste material road repair workers get, not proper patchwork is done yet.

Over all road is ok condition not bad at all.

I feel via Amboli to Goa might be around 660km (bangalore - belgaum = 500km, belgaum - amboli - goa = 160km ) because via hubli its round about around 700km because bangalore - hubli = 400km, hubli - ankola - 140km ankola - goa = 150km. via sirsi or honnavar to goa from bangalore is also 650km.

Avoid via honnavar because roads around tarikere not good and roads after jog - honnavar - kumta - ankola not good. so 100km mixed roads. Like Lukeskywaker said Jog - honnavar road has lot of bad patches very much true. from last 2 years i have stopped using that road instead i take talguppa - siddapur - sirsi - devimane ghat - mirjan nh17.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 8th October 2008 at 21:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks