Old 29th November 2022, 17:33   #121
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Palani : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Avoid Dindigul-Palani like plague.
Quote:
Yes. Its a much peaceful route than going via Dindigul-Oddanchatram. Traffic is minimal via Dharapuram-Kannivadi-Aravakurichi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Dindigul-Ottanchatram-Palani is heavy in traffic, so you are better off to take dharapuram route, when going from Bangalore.

-Ravi
Completed the Palani trip last week. Had a good Dharshan and was more crowded, especially for Sabarimala pilgrims. It took 30-40 minutes to take a Dharshan from a Special tickets counter.

Stayed in Dhandapani Nilayam(Palani Temple Devasthanam Accommodation). Whenever I visit Palani I used to stay here.There is no online booking or phone booking and it is a spot booking. Room conditions are reasonable and not very bad.

Onward Journey:

Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Namakkal - Karur - Aravakkuruchi - Kannivadi - Moolanur - Dharapuram ByPass - Palani

Return Journey:

Palani - Oddanchatram ByPass - Vedasandur -Karur - Namakkal - Salem - Dharmapuri - Krishnagiri - Bangalore

As most of the members suggested, I thought of the same route while returning to Bangalore. Unfortunately, there was an accident(TN Government Bus) on the way from Palani to Dharapuram bypass in the middle of the road. Immediately I turn around way back to New 4 lane road from Palani-Oddanchatram.

It looks like this is a recent development. The road is absolutely fantastic and almost empty. (This is not a usual road from Dindigul-Palani Road)

It looks like the new NH road between Palani-Oddanchatram or Udumalapet - Dindigul or Udumalapet - Madurai ---> If anybody knows some information about this new NH road, please share it here.

There is a bridge work is going on in between(about 500m) but this is ok and manageable. I take left turn from the bypass to the Vedasandur road. It is a State highway in super condition till Vedasandur.

Onward Journey:

Bangalore to Palani : Route Queries-karurpalani.jpg
Return Journey:
Sorry for my poor edit in the map.
Bangalore to Palani : Route Queries-palanivedachandur.jpg

Namma Palani Selfi Point at Dhandapani Nilayam(Palani Temple Devasthanam Accommodation) with My Golden Cheetah:

Bangalore to Palani : Route Queries-selfi-point-my-golden-cheetah.jpg

New NH Road :

The Road is almost empty and looks beautiful.
Bangalore to Palani : Route Queries-empty-road1.jpg
Bangalore to Palani : Route Queries-empty-road2.jpg
Bangalore to Palani : Route Queries-empty-road3.jpg
Bangalore to Palani : Route Queries-empty-road4.jpg
Bangalore to Palani : Route Queries-empty-road5.jpg

Toll Gate work in Progress:
If Toll gate work completed you have to pay the toll charges.

Bangalore to Palani : Route Queries-toll-work1.jpg
Bangalore to Palani : Route Queries-toll-work2.jpg
Bridge Work:
There is a bridge work going on but it is manageable
Bangalore to Palani : Route Queries-work-going-on1.jpg
Bangalore to Palani : Route Queries-work-going-on2.jpg
Bangalore to Palani : Route Queries-work-going-on3.jpg

Vedachandur SH Road starts from the By Pass:

Bangalore to Palani : Route Queries-vedachandur-road-start-pass1.jpg
Bangalore to Palani : Route Queries-vedachandur-road-start-pass2.jpg
Bangalore to Palani : Route Queries-vedachandur-road-start-pass3.jpg

Vedachandur SH Road:
Bangalore to Palani : Route Queries-vedachandur-road.jpg

As many members suggested, please avoid the usual route between Dindigul to Palani road. Instead of usual route you can take New NH road between Oddanchatram- Palani.

Last edited by JacksonStorm : 29th November 2022 at 17:47. Reason: Add more information
JacksonStorm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 18:55   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStorm View Post
It looks like the new NH road between Palani-Oddanchatram
It is possibly this. When we went in Feb 2019 and October 2020, only Oddanchatram bypass was 6-laned. Kodai Road-Sempatti-Puduchatram was being 4-laned.

Looks like this is a completely new alignment. This might be because earlier NH209 alignment had walkways for those who walk to Palani leading up to Thai Poosam and there was no scope for expansion of the existing road.

I guess this new alignment will get extended till Puduchatram and join the Sempatti 4-lane providing a 4-laned connectivity to Madurai.

How do you Palani-Karur timings compare between the 2 routes?
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 19:41   #123
BHPian

Quote:
It is possibly this. When we went in Feb 2019 and October 2020, only Oddanchatram bypass was 6-laned. Kodai Road-Sempatti-Puduchatram was being 4-laned.
How do you Palani-Karur timings compare between the 2 routes?
Thank you narayans80! I also noticed the same. The real issue is Google Maps is not showing/directing you to the new 4-lane road if you checked the map.

I didn't check the real timing here. If you direct
Karur - Vedachandur - Oddanchatram By Pass - Palani

You will save 20-30 minutes depending upon your speed But this road is absolutely no traffic and it is an empty road except near Vedachandur town.

The usual road
Karur - Aravakuriuchi - Kannivadi- Moolanur -Dharapuram By Pass - Palani

This road is also in good condition but you have to slow down in Aravakuriuchi town and till Kannivadi (because of the Village road and some curves ahead but it is not an issue) post Kannivadi till Dharapuram Bypass there were no issues. Post Dharapuram Bypass till Palani the usual traffic starts.

If you are ready to pay an extra toll and save time I would suggest

Karur - Vedachandur - Oddanchatram By Pass - Palani is the best option

Otherwise, If there is no hurry then the usual route is the best option to visit the countryside/windmills and sightseeing.

Karur - Aravakuriuchi - Kannivadi- Moolanur -Dharapuram By Pass - Palani

Last edited by JacksonStorm : 29th November 2022 at 19:59. Reason: Add More information
JacksonStorm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 18:21   #124
Senior - BHPian

Just did a Bangalore - Palani drive this morning. Left home at sharp 4 am. Had breakfast a few KM’s after Salem around 7.15 am, a 15 mins break.

Took the Salem-Chennimalai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Palani route. Reached Palani temple parking at 10.15 am, well in time for the morning darshan. This has been the fastest time ever for me to Palani for me.

Excellent roads through out. Though the roads from Perundurai, off the Salem-Cochin highway is a 2 lane undivided state highway, it was excellent. The stretch from Chennai Malai to Palani was smooth too, with a majority being a 2 lane state highway, good and smooth. Could easily keep to 60-80 speeds.
Old 3rd March 2024, 12:36   #125
BHPian

This is not exactly a Bangalore - Palani trip, but last week we were near Batlagundu, Dindigul and made an impromptu visit to Palani temple. The route taken was Sempatty - Odanchattram - NH83 - exit at Palani. Sempatty to Odanchattram is mostly 4 lane state highway, very good road. Noticed a new road under construction along the way (and also cutting across NH183) which I am guessing might connect Madurai to NH83 leading to Coimbatore.

Road works are still in progress at Odanchattram, but it was better this time, now there is a direct entry to NH83. Last year I had taken the same route to Valparai and entry was not so straightforward and NH83 was also not fully complete at that time, there were diversions every now and then. But now NH83 is fully operational, even with a toll booth is functional now at Chattrapatti. NH83 is masterpiece of a modern highway, excellent road surface and road signs with night reflectors, 100 kmph speed limit, sleek toll booths and bus stops, neatly designated NHAI amenities block. There is no need to take old Palani route through Odanchattram town now. Took the Palani exit from NH83 which enters Palani town from railway station side.

Palani, we were told that it was less crowded that day compared to its usual standards. Cable cars was not functional, so had to go to the winch station. But there was a long wait for the winch. Evening services started only at 4.45 PM. Took almost 2 hrs to reach the hill top. There is a new third line that is open now, airconditioned cabin with TV and all, costs Rs. 60, moves slightly faster than older winches. Took Rs. 100 ticket for darshan, we were let in after some wait time in the compartment. The sight of the Lord Murugan in his majestic Raja Alankaram that day was magnificent. We went for another round of darshan as the queue had thinned by then. Tickets could be bought at the entry of Rs. 100 queue itself. And we were able to see the Golden Chariot procession as well, Skanda shashti kavacham playing at the temple, heavenly tasting panchamirtham, everything was divine.

But the descent was filled with confusion, partly because we didnt see the signboards properly. The return ticket counter + waiting area for winches are in a different place than the platform itself. Lost sometime to understand the process and some more wait time for the winch to take us down. Had dinner at Ariya Bhavan, served lovingly by the friendly staff. It also has good parking space. Then returned back via the same amazing NH83 route, decked with glowing night reflectors.

Last edited by mankuthimma : 3rd March 2024 at 12:44.
mankuthimma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2024, 12:45   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankuthimma View Post
Road works are still in progress at Odanchattram, but it was better this time, now there is a direct entry to NH83. Last year I had taken the same route to Valparai and entry was not so straightforward and NH83 was also not fully complete at that time, there were diversions every now and then. But now NH83 is fully operational, even with a toll booth is functional now at Chattrapatti. NH83 is masterpiece of a modern highway, excellent road surface and road signs with night reflectors, 100 kmph speed limit, sleek toll booths and bus stops, neatly designated NHAI amenities block. There is no need to take old Palani route through Odanchattram town now. Took the Palani exit from NH83 which enters Palani town from railway station side.
+1. Amazing road for sure, but still under construction for last 20 kms till it joins Dindigul. Once that is done, it will be much faster, otherwise, currently we have to exit at Vedasandur and drive via 2L road which is very good, but not very fast due to speed breakers.

My daughter wanted to take Rope car, so we opted for that and it was good for Rs. 50/- per head. There was hardly 10 people so no crowd when we went on 29th Feb on leap day.

Darshan was also quick as there was no crowd and we got darshan in 30 minutes time.

For food, Hotel GowriKKrishna next to N.Parvathi textiles/Kumaran stores and opposite to Bus Depot in Railway feeder road is excellent for years. Parking is a bit of a problem there.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2024, 12:48   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
For food, Hotel GowriKKrishna next to N.Parvathi textiles/Kumaran stores and opposite to Bus Depot in Railway feeder road is excellent for years. Parking is a bit of a problem there.
-Ravi
I always stay at Hotel "New Tirupur Lodge" which is right at the start of the Adivaram road once you take a left off the highway. The restaurant there, "Nalapakam" has excellent meals and tiffin. Ample parking inside their compound as well.

Start in the morning, arrive in the afternoon, walk up the hill in the evening for darshan and then leave the next morning.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2024, 15:02   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankuthimma View Post
Noticed a new road under construction along the way (and also cutting across NH183) which I am guessing might connect Madurai to NH83 leading to Coimbatore.
I see its the same road which helps bypass the towns and connect to NH83.

Please also note the old Kanakapura road (Yes I mean our very own Kanakpura road) extended all the way from Bangalore to Dindigul! This was the old NH209. (Bangalore-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar-Dimbam-Coimbattore-Pollachi - Udumalpettai-Palam-Odanchattram-Dindigul)

Now we have put newer numbers and newer alignment. But in essence its the route in question which is being improved.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2024, 12:42   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I always stay at Hotel "New Tirupur Lodge" which is right at the start of the Adivaram road once you take a left off the highway. The restaurant there, "Nalapakam" has excellent meals and tiffin. Ample parking inside their compound as well.

Start in the morning, arrive in the afternoon, walk up the hill in the evening for darshan and then leave the next morning.
Yes, we were using Nalapakam for many years, it is still good, but of late some of the food seems to be more oily, so felt Hotel GowriKKrishna was lot more better despite parking challenges.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks