Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2008, 11:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

shisodia saab, self driven gaddi nai milne ki. milegi toh Car Rental India Car Hire & Rental Car India Car Rental - Europcar jaison se.

aur rate niklega .... about 44240 including service tax thats what a self drive innova will cost for 9.5 days. Why not just hire a regular car? and sit in the rear seat
Old 14th March 2008, 11:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Thanks hv! That was quick. Part of the plan is to stop at DDun on the way back (relatives there) so might do that trip in reverse. The suggestions sound great. How about Ranikhet/Binsar ? Is Corbett a better bet than Rajaji ?
Sameer,

havenever been to Rajaji, but Corbett (which I have visited) is a grea place - with definitive sightings of elephants and other sundry wildlife, although tiger may be elusive). For kids, Ranikhet may not be exciting. Binsar is a nice place to take long walks. I think the kids will enjoy boating in Nainital's lakes and maybe paragliding in Naukuchiyatal better.

If ou do in reverse, I would go from Meerut to Corbett, Nainital, Auli and return via Tehri, Musoorie and Dehra Dun to Delhi.
Old 14th March 2008, 11:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

@phamilyman - true, but an Indica turns out to be around 21.5k - now thats how much driving my City to Delhi and back would cost me anyhow I'm just praying there are smaller operators who'll give me an indica for 15k or so. For me, part of the fun is in the drive, especially in the hills (Honestly, I'd rather ride but thats hardly an option with 2 tiny kids)

@hvkumar - thanks a ton. I think the plan's firming up in my head.
19th - Meerut-Corbett
21st am - Corbett - someplace around Nainital-stay at Binsar?
23rd am - to Auli (nearly a full days drive - ?)
25th - to Dhanaulti (how much time is this drive?)
26th eve - to DDun
28th am - to Delhi

is that too tight ? Leave out Auli and spend more time elsewhere ?
Old 14th March 2008, 12:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

How's Harsil as a destination ? Just read about a ride upto there, though unsure about the roads.
Old 14th March 2008, 13:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

[quote=zenx;757994
@hvkumar - thanks a ton. I think the plan's firming up in my head.
19th - Meerut-Corbett
21st am - Corbett - someplace around Nainital-stay at Binsar?
23rd am - to Auli (nearly a full days drive - ?)
25th - to Dhanaulti (how much time is this drive?)
26th eve - to DDun
28th am - to Delhi

is that too tight ? Leave out Auli and spend more time elsewhere ?[/quote]

Meerut-Corbett is a half-day drive. Jungle safaris are in early evening (4 pm I think) and early morning (530 am), hence plan to take it either the same day you arrive or next day morning.

Lots of places in and around Nainital, which is just 2 hours way from Corbett. Apart from Nainital, you can stay at places like Bhimtal and Ramgarh. I would prefer Nainital iself because the place may be less crowded in early April. I would go from Corbett to Nainital on 20th itself since I don't see an point in staing on in Corbett unless you intend to stay in the FRHs inside one of the reserve areas (like Dikhala, Bijrani, etc).

Binsar is too far off for the day's drive, at least 3 hours beyond Nainital. But the HPTDC hotel in Binsar WLS is a nice place to stay.

Nainital-Auli is a hard day's drive. From Nainital, you take the route via Bhowali, Almora, Bageshwar, Gwaldam and Karnaprayag. Normally, the road from Joshimath to Badrinath closes at 430 pm. Not sure whether the road to Auli (separate road) also closes, but I think there is no time restriction there.

Auli to Dhanolti is also a full day's drive. You can take breaks to see temples at Rudraprayag, Deoprayag, and go via Tehri Dam and Chamba to reach Dhanolti. Please remember that in most of these sectors, roads close after 8 pm.
Old 14th March 2008, 13:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How's Harsil as a destination ? Just read about a ride upto there, though unsure about the roads.

Harsil is one of the loveliest valleys you will see in India. It is on the way to Gangotri halfway between Uttarkashi and Gangotri. I don't think that road will be open in April since it is difficult to access during winter. Besides, in April, this road should be very messy and difficult for 2WD vehicles (although I have never been to that area at that time). Even in September, this sector has landslides and bad road sections.
Old 14th March 2008, 16:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Here's the guahhahahaha bit from them .....

Quote:
@phamilyman - true, but an Indica turns out to be around 21.5k - now thats how much driving my City to Delhi and back would cost me anyhow I'm just praying there are smaller operators who'll give me an indica for 15k or so. For me, part of the fun is in the drive, especially in the hills (Honestly, I'd rather ride but thats hardly an option with 2 tiny kids)
Quote:
Originally Posted by From the Booking Page
Travel Restrictions This rental comes with 1500 free kilometres. A charge of 10.00 Rs. will apply for every additional kilometres travelled.
Cough cough cough.

Bherry fine the pirints, warna post your grand tirip, they would all be .. in da money!
Old 31st March 2008, 13:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Someone mentioned Chopta as a great place - including a possible short trek around there. Any take ? Am thinking in terms of dropping Corbett, spending time at Nainital (19-21), then Gwaldam(21st eve-22nd noon), Chopta (22eve-24am, if we trek), to Auli (24-26am), Lansdowne (26th eve-28th morning), and back to Delhi.

Should one book hotels etc in advance, or just hit the road ? How're the GMVNL places ?
Old 31st March 2008, 14:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

lansdowne is superb. The top of line room (1300) has geyser, room space heater etyadi. Worth every paisa.
Old 7th April 2008, 22:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

Plans firmed up (except reservations):
19th 5am Meerut-Corbett (Dhikala FRH, if one can get that).
20th late afternoon: to Nainital (KMVN Snow View a decent option?)
22nd eve: to Almora (in town/someplace closeby? Saw this).
23rd eve: to Gwaldam, and walk around/chill
24th late morning:to Auli (assuming we would have covered some distance already, this should take lesser time)
25th: at and around Auli (auggestions?)
26th: to Lansdowne
27th: at Lansdowne
28th: to Delhi

How rushed is this? Planning to reserve only Dhikala, Nainital, Auli in advance.
Old 7th April 2008, 22:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

Road from Almora to Gwaldam is narrow and full of ups-downs, hence leave post-lunch to reach Gwaldam via Bageshwar, Baijnath, or direct to Baijnath via Someshwar. ook me around 4.5 hours to drive from Almora to Gwaldam via Bageshwar.

Why not stay at Binsar KMVN instead of Almora?

Took me 4.5 hours to drive from Gwaldam to Joshimath (14 kms before Auli).
Old 7th April 2008, 23:05   #27
Senior - BHPian

I thot we could see the temples at Bageshwar from Almora. Same option from Binsar ? 4.5 hrs to Joshimath sounds cool. Of course, its a hired Indica so could take a little more.
Old 9th April 2008, 16:39   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hai Xens,

I would recommend booking in advance, in any season. Gives piece of mind, specially when you're with family, knowing you'd get decent food and bed when you reach there. Maybe a little more expensive, but worth it.

The link below gives you an option to book in advance, they have the best chain in Uttranchal. Check with their office in Delhi.

Uttranchal India Holiday,Uttranchal Holiday Tours in Uttranchal India,Uttranchal Holidays India

In my trip log below (a little dated about the road conditions, but timings and kms are as accurate as it can get) I used camp 5 elements EVERYWHERE, including rafting from much above Kaudiayala a place called Biasi down to the Ram Jhoola, booked well in advance and was very happy with the service and price.

http://www.arkzsol.com/LOGS%20UTTRANCHAL%2006.htm

If you're doing rafting, let me know, I can give you lots of tips, have spent lots of time on the river and rapids from Biasi to Ram Jhula.

Happy Driving and holidays,

--Ramky

========

Quote:
Plans firmed up (except reservations):
19th 5am Meerut-Corbett (Dhikala FRH, if one can get that).
20th late afternoon: to Nainital (KMVN Snow View a decent option?)
22nd eve: to Almora (in town/someplace closeby? Saw this).
23rd eve: to Gwaldam, and walk around/chill
24th late morning:to Auli (assuming we would have covered some distance already, this should take lesser time)
25th: at and around Auli (auggestions?)
26th: to Lansdowne
27th: at Lansdowne
28th: to Delhi

How rushed is this? Planning to reserve only Dhikala, Nainital, Auli in advance.

Last edited by ramkya1 : 9th April 2008 at 16:42.
Old 9th April 2008, 17:27   #29
Senior - BHPian

@ramkya1 - thanks! Yeah am going ahead and booking every place on the itinerary - less footloose-ish but on the other hand, probably saner, with kids involved.

Thanks for that link - but just the Naini leg at those prices will eat up my entire acco budget Am sticking to KMVN/GMVN where possible.

The guy at Ramnagar KMVN said over the phone - "come by lunch, and we'll reserve a jeep for the next day. Since you're staying outside Corbett you might as well stay at our KMVN lodge and save money - you'll spend most day on the Safari anyhow". Sounded like sane advice to me! What say ?
Old 9th April 2008, 17:40   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ramkya1 - thanks! Yeah am going ahead and booking every place on the itinerary - less footloose-ish but on the other hand, probably saner, with kids involved.

Thanks for that link - but just the Naini leg at those prices will eat up my entire acco budget Am sticking to KMVN/GMVN where possible.

The guy at Ramnagar KMVN said over the phone - "come by lunch, and we'll reserve a jeep for the next day. Since you're staying outside Corbett you might as well stay at our KMVN lodge and save money - you'll spend most day on the Safari anyhow". Sounded like sane advice to me! What say ?
Agree with you on the prices.. another alternatives many of my friends recommended is Bhimtal instead of Naini, drivable up and down and much more cheaper and a more "raped" destination than Naini, I think its about 50 KM away, I'm not sure.

Staying outside Cobert is saner, the costs inside are insine, there are few options. I guess what you propose is more cost-effective.

--Ramky

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks