Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2011, 12:53   #16
BHPian

Routes between Mysore & Cochin - Help needed

Hello, I'm planning to go on a trip to Cochin in a few days and I need some help on the recommended routes.

My specific requirements.

1. I'll be traveling in an Indica Vista Aqua Tdi and I've had experience driving on all sorts of roads in all sorts of weather. So, I might be interested in a route that may not be in the best condition if it satisfies my other requirements - as long as my Vista is capable of tackling such a route, obviously.

2. I'm fine with choosing different routes for the forward and the return trips. I'll list my requirements for them separately.

3. The forward trip - Time is not that much of an issue but the route being scenic is important. I intend to start around noon. So, if I'm going to come across any scenery, it should be during daytime. I'm a cruiser, not a scorcher, so, choosing the road with the fastest sections isn't important. Challenging sections are welcome, however.

4. The return trip - One rule. Easy to drive on. Time won't be an issue here either but as far as possible, I would like to travel on a road that's easy to drive on, even if it would mean spending a couple of extra hours on the road.

5. I have google maps on my phone which works as long as I have network coverage. It worked great on my other road trips. I intend to ues that.

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate it.
Old 28th March 2011, 13:19   #17
Team-BHP Support

Re: Routes between Mysore & Cochin - Help needed

Following Options

- Mysore-Gundlupet-Gudalur-Nilambur-Kunnankulam-Trichur-Angamaly-Cochin.
- Mysore-Calicut (via 212) and then on to Cochin via NH17

There are many altercations of the above routes.

1. From Nilambur, hit Guruvayur and take NH17.
2. Go till Trichur and continue on NH47.

If you plan to take Gudalur/Nilambur option: The route via Pattambi is quite broken. An option can be to divert to Manjeri and join NH17 at Kuttipuram.

I am not aware of the immediate status of these roads (Nilambur-Kunnankulam),
Nilambur-Kutipuram. I would let more recent travellers comment on the same.

Last edited by ampere : 28th March 2011 at 13:20.
Old 28th March 2011, 15:38   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure if the route between Kuttipuram and Edappal is repaired, if yes, then turn to NH-17 from Edappal. The road is much better.
Old 28th March 2011, 16:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

Please note that the road from Mysore via Nilambur and Calicut has a restriction - the Gundulpet-Gudalur and Gundulpet-Sultan's Battery sectors which fall on either of the routes are closed between 9 pm and 6 am.
Old 28th March 2011, 16:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Following Options

- Mysore-Gundlupet-Gudalur-Nilambur-Kunnankulam-Trichur-Angamaly-Cochin.
- Mysore-Calicut (via 212) and then on to Cochin via NH17

There are many altercations of the above routes.

1. From Nilambur, hit Guruvayur and take NH17.
2. Go till Trichur and continue on NH47.

If you plan to take Gudalur/Nilambur option: The route via Pattambi is quite broken. An option can be to divert to Manjeri and join NH17 at Kuttipuram.

I am not aware of the immediate status of these roads (Nilambur-Kunnankulam),
Nilambur-Kutipuram. I would let more recent travellers comment on the same.
+1 to ampere's suggestion,diverting to Thrissur might be an unnecessary hassle,considering the present condition of NH47 which is undergoing road widening in between TCR & Angamaly.Instead keep on NH17 from Kunnamkulam and go all the way till Edappally and then onto Cochin.Edappally is a suburb of Cochin/Ernakulam.

To keep it simple,take the route via Calicut(Mysore-Bandipur-Batheri-Thamarasserry Ghats-Calicut-Edappal-Kunnamkulam-Edappally-Cochin)
Old 28th March 2011, 16:54   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post

To keep it simple,take the route via Calicut(Mysore-Bandipur-Batheri-Thamarasserry Ghats-Calicut-Edappal-Kunnamkulam-Edappally-Cochin)
Was that a typo?. Isnt it supposed to be like this?

(Mysore-Gundelpet-Batheri-Thamarasserry Ghats-Calicut-Edappal-Kunnamkulam-Edappally-Cochin)
Old 28th March 2011, 17:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Was that a typo?. Isnt it supposed to be like this?

(Mysore-Gundelpet-Batheri-Thamarasserry Ghats-Calicut-Edappal-Kunnamkulam-Edappally-Cochin)
Well not exactly,at Gundulpet,you pass through the other side of Bandipur forest.(Atleast thats what I thought all the while?Now that you ask,I am beginning to have doubts myself
Old 28th March 2011, 17:33   #23
Senior - BHPian

For both roads - Sultan's Battery or Nilambur - you have to go past Gundulpet. At Gundulpet go straight for Bandipur-Mudumalai-Gudalur-Nilambur and turn right for S Battery-Kalpetta-Thamaraserry-Calicut.
Old 28th March 2011, 17:42   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Well not exactly,at Gundulpet,you pass through the other side of Bandipur forest.(Atleast thats what I thought all the while?Now that you ask,I am beginning to have doubts myself

Have to take a right from Gundelpet, towards Bathery. Well, it does pass tru Bandipur forest range, but not 'Bandipur' the place.

Here:
Cochin to Mysore - Trip info, route & directions-route.jpg

Well, nukeblitz , I stay at Bathery, and will be going to Cochin on 2nd of April. Let me know if you need anything in Bathery.
Old 28th March 2011, 19:12   #25
Team-BHP Support

If you want to go to Bathery, NH212 from Gundlupet is the best option.
No point going to Bandipur.

If one plans to go via Nilambur, then I think one need not even take NH212. SH and other roads would take one directly through to NH17.
Old 14th October 2013, 14:12   #26
BHPian

Re: Thrissur to Mysore - Trip info, route & directions

Hi,

I'm planning a trip from thrissur to mysore in my TBTS 350 tomorrow for Eid. This is my first long-distance bike trip. I'm riding alone. Bike service is done recently.Thinking to go by Thrissur-Printhalmanna-Nilambur-Gudalur-Gundlepet-Mysore (254kms). What time should i start from thrissur to reach mysore by 6.30-7 pm? Is it safe to ride on this route? What about the road condition? Please guide me the essential items/spares that i should carry. Spares inputs from Bullet gurus will be helpful.

Regards,
Imran Shahnawaz
Old 14th October 2013, 15:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImranShahnawaz View Post
Hi,

I'm planning a trip from thrissur to mysore in my TBTS 350 tomorrow for Eid. This is my first long-distance bike trip. I'm riding alone. Bike service is done recently.Thinking to go by Thrissur-Printhalmanna-Nilambur-Gudalur-Gundlepet-Mysore (254kms). What time should i start from thrissur to reach mysore by 6.30-7 pm? Is it safe to ride on this route? What about the road condition? Please guide me the essential items/spares that i should carry. Spares inputs from Bullet gurus will be helpful.

Regards,
Imran Shahnawaz
On a bike the whole stretch may take you 6.5 to 8 hours (depending on your driving style), so a start at say 11 AM may be adequate. But since the initial half of the journey is through Kerala, it would be best if you can start early in the morning. Once the traffic starts (say by 8/8:30 am), the stretch between Trichur and Vazhikkadavu (a little bit after Nilambur) can be a pain to drive.

No serious safety issues other than the fact that you'd be driving through the forest between Gudalur and Gundlupet (About 30 kms of forest stretch), so encountering wildlife on the road is a distinct possibility. But I've seen a lot of bikers traveling through these forest stretches, so would think it is reasonably safe to do so.
Old 14th October 2013, 15:24   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImranShahnawaz View Post
Hi,

Regards,
Imran Shahnawaz
I did this route (upto Gundlupete) on my bullet last month.
Thrissur-Nilambur: 3 to 3.5hrs
Nilambur-Gudalur: 1.25 to 1.5hrs
Gudalur-Gundlupete: 1.25 to 1.5hrs (expected to drive slowly inside forest)
Gundlulpete-Mysore: 1hr

So, the whole journey should be doable in 6.5 to 7.5hrs, depending on traffic (I spent lot of time asking for directions in every town). Except for 5-8kms of rough stretch near Mudumalai, roads are great.

On rides (1000km+) I normally carry the following:
Clutch cable.
Bulbs.
Accelerator cable.
Spark plugs
Tubes - both front and rear.
Chain loop.
Chain spray.
Exhaust gasket.
Tools kit.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2013, 22:21   #29
BHPian

Re: Cochin to Mysore - Trip info, route & directions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
On a bike the whole stretch may take you 6.5 to 8 hours (depending on your driving style), so a start at say 11 AM may be adequate. But since the initial half of the journey is through Kerala, it would be best if you can start early in the morning. Once the traffic starts (say by 8/8:30 am), the stretch between Trichur and Vazhikkadavu (a little bit after Nilambur) can be a pain to drive. No serious safety issues other than the fact that you'd be driving through the forest between Gudalur and Gundlupet (About 30 kms of forest stretch), so encountering wildlife on the road is a distinct possibility. But I've seen a lot of bikers traveling through these forest stretches, so would think it is reasonably safe to do so.
Thanks Kala. Even i planned to start by 11 in the morning. I need to buy some spares before starting from Thrissur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
I did this route (upto Gundlupete) on my bullet last month.
Thrissur-Nilambur: 3 to 3.5hrs
Nilambur-Gudalur: 1.25 to 1.5hrs
Gudalur-Gundlupete: 1.25 to 1.5hrs (expected to drive slowly inside forest)
Gundlulpete-Mysore: 1hr

So, the whole journey should be doable in 6.5 to 7.5hrs, depending on traffic (I spent lot of time asking for directions in every town). Except for 5-8kms of rough stretch near Mudumalai, roads are great.

On rides (1000km+) I normally carry the following:
Clutch cable.
Bulbs.
Accelerator cable.
Spark plugs
Tubes - both front and rear.
Chain loop.
Chain spray.
Exhaust gasket.
Tools kit.

Prasad
Thank you so much prasad for the details. I have to buy the above mentioned spares before starting from Thrissur. Clutch and accelerator cables, tubes were in my list, but never thought of chain loop, spark plugs and exhaust gasket.
Old 16th December 2013, 15:42   #30
BHPian

Re: Cochin to Mysore - Trip info, route & directions

Hi,
I will be travelling from Mysore to Ernakulam next week. I have planned the following route:
Mysore - Nanjangud - Chamarajanagara - sathyamangalam - Annur - Karumathampatti - Kanjikode - Palakkad bypass - Thrissur bypass - Chalakudy - Ernakulam

Any info on the road conditions? I will be travelling in a low GC car (Cruze) with family. Pls suggest info on restaurants on the way.

I will be starting from Mysore at 12pm, hoping to reach Ernakulam by 8/9 pm.

Last edited by rahul_sinha : 16th December 2013 at 15:46. Reason: added timing

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks