Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2007, 19:15   #16

Best route from Bangalore to Goa using GQ

Hi

I am planning a trip next weekend. Have read on various threads and there are multiple routes recommended and I am confused

I would like to take a route preferably using the GQ / good present road conditions and do it in a day. One of my friends recommended to seek expert help on this forum from hvkumar / akroy. So help me out guys.

Here are the 2 I have have recommended the most:
1. AKRoy's suggestion on
[FONT=&quot]Bangalore – Tumkur – Sira – Chitradurga – Davangere – Ranibennur – Haveri(350) – Sirsi (67) – Mirjan (53)– Ankola (24)– Karwar(26) – Canacona – Palolem Beach - Madgaon – Panaji(90)
Total distance - 610 km

[/FONT]2. (Not sure when this was posted) Banglore-Tumkur-Dhrward Bypass-continue on Pune highway till Kittur village - take left to get on Bidi-Nandgad-Khanapur Road (About 35KM, state highway, in OK condition) - once you reach khanapur take Belgaum-Goa Highway (this road is also in excellent condition).
Total distance - 580KM

3. Bangalore - Hubli - Belgaum - Ankola Ghat - Panaji

4. Bangalore - Hubli - Dharawad - Londa - Panaji (heard the Dharwad - Londa sterch has no road).

Which one would you is recommended given the present road conditions?

Karanjs
Old 31st October 2007, 10:59   #17

With all the suggestions, I had a nice vacation... Learning about the road condition and my discomfort at driving long distances.... I broke the journey and it worked well...

1. Day one - BLR to Shimogga (bangalore - tipture - kadur - shimogga) Except for the bad strech b/w Tarekere and Bhadravati, the road is good... I had a lot of relatives almost all major towns in between.. so, we visited all of them ...

2. Day - 2: Shimogga - Thirthahalli - Koppa - Sringere - Horanadu - Shimogga ( This was perfect for a day trip ~350KMs... ). Visited Kuppalli (Kuvempu's place..). Very well maintained and inspiring...

3. Day - 3: Shimogga - Jog falls - Hannavara - Gokarna. Honnavara to Gokarna is very very bad... some time you don't know how to drive forward.... There was not much water in Jog falls (middle of Oct).. It took almost 2 hours for the trip down to the falls... Very tiring for me, but my son enjoyed it... I learnt they release more water on Sunday... So, plan to visit Jog on Sunday.

4. Day 4 to 9 - 6 days in Goa... [FONT=Arial][COLOR=#606420]http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/21721-travelogue-bangalore-goa.html[/COLOR][/FONT] is definetely a ready reference for people visiting Goa ... Excellent!!!
I didn't like the Teracol Fort... Don't miss the ride to see dolphins ~1 hr in the sea ..... I find the beaches in South goa are cleaner than north.

5. return jouney - Having seen the state of the road b/w Honnavara & Ankola, decided to head back to bangalore in the route suggested in the above link... and cancelled trip to Mangalore.

After the return journey, I felt more comfortable for long drives. The road from Chitradurga to Tumkur reminded me of US days and I can say it is better than US roads...
Old 22nd November 2007, 15:09   #18
BHPian

Guys - help needed

How is the condition of this route now

BLR - Hassan - chickmagalur - Aldur - Balehonnur - Sringeri, Hornadu

Planning for a weekend drive to Sringeri, Hornadu.
Which is the best route pls suggest

With elders so pls suggest good roads.
Old 24th November 2007, 22:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

Good news about NH17, road repair work is started but its very very slow. I hope in coming days they will at least complete patch work so roads will last untill next rain!

Still no sign of giving 100% solution, but some patch up work started.

Ravi.
Old 25th June 2008, 15:49   #20
BHPian

ANy updates on this repair work
Old 25th June 2008, 19:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

Alongwith the Haveri route you can also try out Ankola road which might be a kms more as well.
Blr - Hubli - Ankola - Goa

My personal favourite is haveri route although we hope that the NH4A gets into very good shape. Read in TOI few days back that this BJP govt wants to make the road from Belgaum to Goa Border (NH4A stretch). Goa border - Old Goa - Panaji is always a good road.

Abhi
Old 25th June 2008, 20:40   #22
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore - Shimoga - Honnavar - ankola - Panaji = 650 km

Bangalore - chitradurga - haveri - sirsi - ankola - Panaji = 650km

Bangalore - chitradurga - haveri - hubli - ankola - Panaji = 700km.

Bangalore - chitradurga - haveri - hubli - Alnavar - Londa - Panaji = 600km. (I don't know road condition between Dharwad - Alnavar - Londa )

My pick would be via haveri - sirsi which is good road.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 26th June 2008, 10:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore - Mangalore and specifically the ghat section has been totally repaired now. I had posted somewhere else, cant find it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
ANy updates on this repair work
Old 26th June 2008, 10:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Bangalore - Mangalore and specifically the ghat section has been totally repaired now. I had posted somewhere else, cant find it now.
As per this newspaper report, it is cracking up again.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...tml#post877473

D A I J I W O R L D
Old 26th June 2008, 21:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

National Highway Minister has told in the press he has already informed State Government not to allow over loaded Iron Ore trucks in roads.

But its very unfrotunate that no one is taking responsibility to stop this activity.

Experts have already told road repair work done is just eye wash with bad quality and the heavy traffic make roads night mare to travel.

So what I noticed is If we take any road there will be bad stretch.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 6th January 2009, 18:49   #26

Bangalore to Goa in Car in Dec'08

I did Bangalore to Goa in car recently and one can read about road conditions, places to visit in Goa, routes etc at http://hariprakashagrawal.blogspot.c...re-to-goa.html . Also look for The Thoughts...: Points to remember in self driven long journey link for points to remember in self driven long journey.

just to mention, I took different routes for my forward and return trip and could cover few more places.

- Hariprakash
Old 10th December 2009, 17:17   #27
BHPian

I am planning for a 11 day ride with my frnds on bike.
9 Friends, 5 Bikes(2 Thunderbird twinspark, 1 Bullet Classic 500, 1 Karizma and one R15)

Route i chose is as follows.Need your inputs

23rd Dec Day 0: Bangalore -Coimbatore-350 kms
(Blr-Hosur-Royakottai-pennaharam-mecheri-mettur-adhiyur-athani-bangalapudhur-sathy-annur-Coimbatore)

Dec 24th ay 1: Coimbatore-Sathyamangalam-dimbam-chamrajnagar-nanjangud-mysore-Hassan-belur-halebidu-chikmagalur(Halt)-Roughly 430kms

(Dont know why Google map doesnt show the Sathyamangalam-dimbam-chamrajnagar-nanjangud-mysore route ,instead it shows via ooty bandipur.So not sure about the exact distance.Your Suggestion on route, doability etc needed)

Dec 25th Day 2: Chikmagalur-Mullaingiri-Chikmagalur-Agumbe(Halt)-160kms

Dec 26th Day 3:Agumbe-Shimoga-Hubli-Dharwad-Kittur-Belgaum-Amboli(Halt) -362 kms
(Doing this route for the first time. Please share your knowledge on this route. Any cheap accomodation options available in amboli.If not where else i can stay.If possible provide me the number and name of the lodge /resort.I dont want to cross the ghat in the dark as i want to enjoy the scenary)

Dec 27th Day 4: Amboli to Goa (halt) 120kms
Dec 28th Day 5: Party at Goa

Dec 29th Day 6: Goa -Karwar-Udupi-Mangalore (365kms)

Dec 30th Day 7 : Mangalore -Bekal fort-Chalakudy(Kerala) NH 17 -342 kms

Dec 31st Day 8: Chalakudy-Athirapally-Valparai (Halt) NH 17 -120 kms

Jan 1st Day 9: Around Valparai

Jan 2nd Day 10: Valparai -Coimbatore 100kms

Jan 3rd Day 11: Coimbatore -Bangalore -350 kms

Approximate estimation :2700kms ,12 days. After lot of changes in the route, finalized this route

If any of the route mentioned above(apart from Chalakudy-athirapally-valparai) is not good/not safe ,please let me know. Actually 3 couples(Used to 2 wheeler touring) including a foreigner are joining this trip.

Awaiting your inputs,Pleaseeeeee

Last edited by buvan : 10th December 2009 at 17:23.
Old 11th December 2009, 12:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

My comments are in BOLD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buvan View Post
23rd Dec Day 0: Bangalore -Coimbatore-350 kms
(Blr-Hosur-Royakottai-pennaharam-mecheri-mettur-adhiyur-athani-bangalapudhur-sathy-annur-Coimbatore)

Dec 24th ay 1: Coimbatore-Sathyamangalam-dimbam-chamrajnagar-nanjangud-mysore-Hassan-belur-halebidu-chikmagalur(Halt)-Roughly 430kms

(Dont know why Google map doesnt show the Sathyamangalam-dimbam-chamrajnagar-nanjangud-mysore route ,instead it shows via ooty bandipur.So not sure about the exact distance.Your Suggestion on route, doability etc needed)

Bangalore-Hosur 35-Rayakottai 45-Palacode 16-Pennagaram 35-Mecheri 45-Mettur 16-Ammapettai 20-Gobichettipalayam 35-Sathy 25-Coimbatore 70, totaling 342 kms
I have no idea about the route skipping Gobi, but I guess the distance will be around the same. No idea about the condition of the Pennagaram-Mecheri road, but if you want a faster road, best is to stick to NH7 till Toppur and then turn off for Mettur.

Coimbatire-Sathy 70-Bannari 13-Hassanur 26-Chamarajnagar 40-Nanjangud 40-Mysore bypass 10-Krishnarajanagara 30-Hole Narsipur 40-Hassan 45-Belur 35-Halebidu 15-Belur 15-Chickmagalur 30, totaling 409 kms
I have personally not drive the Mysore-Hassan road, but I believe it is a good road. You will have to find the turn off on Mysore bypass (no need to enter Mysore city, when you are coming from Nanjangud, turn left onto the Mysore bypass, KR Nagara is not to be confused with KR Pet)

Dec 25th Day 2: Chikmagalur-Mullaingiri-Chikmagalur-Agumbe(Halt)-160kms

Chickmagalur-Mulayangiri 22-Chickmagalur 22-Aldur 20-Balehonnur 35-Koppa 40-Sringeri 40-Hariharapura 20-Agumbe 30, totaling 229 kms
No idea of hotels in Agumbe, I doubt there is any. Nearest place to stay in is Sringeri.

Dec 26th Day 3:Agumbe-Shimoga-Hubli-Dharwad-Kittur-Belgaum-Amboli(Halt) -362 kms
(Doing this route for the first time. Please share your knowledge on this route. Any cheap accomodation options available in amboli.If not where else i can stay.If possible provide me the number and name of the lodge /resort.I dont want to cross the ghat in the dark as i want to enjoy the scenary)

Route1: Agumbe-Tirthahalli 30-Huncha 30-Ribbonpet 20-Anantapura 10-Sagar 25-Jog Falls 40-Siddapura 10-Sirsi 40-Manchikeri 45-Yellapura 35-Haliyal 45-Alanvar 10-Londa 40-Khanapur 30-Belgaum 30-Chandgad 45-Amboli 35, totaling 520 kms

Route 2: Agumbe-Tirthahalli 30-Shimoga 50-Honnali 40-Harihar 40-Haveri 50-Hubli 75-Belgaum 105-Chandgad 45-Amboli 35, totaling 470 kms

Choice is between high speed roads and Malnad mountains!

Dec 27th Day 4: Amboli to Goa (halt) 120kms
Dec 28th Day 5: Party at Goa
Dec 29th Day 6: Goa -Karwar-Udupi-Mangalore (365kms)

Dec 30th Day 7 : Mangalore -Bekal fort-Chalakudy(Kerala) NH 17 -342 kms

Mangalore-Kasargod 50-Bekal 18-Kanhangad 6-Kannur 75-Mahe 30-Kozhikode 65-Kottakal 45-Edapal 37-Kunnamkulam 25-Trissur 25-Chalakudy 25, totaling 401 kms

Mangalore and Kozhikode cities have bypasses. Remember not to continue on NH17 after Edapal. Trissue city has to be crossed. Chalakudy has lots of hotels, but the enxt town Angamali 15 kms ahead has lot more.

Dec 31st Day 8: Chalakudy-Athirapally-Valparai (Halt) NH 17 -120 kms

Chalakudy-Athirapalli 35-Vazhachal 5-Peringalkuthu 5-Sholayar 25-Malakkiparai 25-Valparai 20, totaling 105 kms

No safety issues on this route, but not to be taken at night. Road narrow, expect wildlife sightings. NO facilities between Chalakudy and Valparai.

Jan 1st Day 9: Around Valparai

Jan 2nd Day 10: Valparai -Coimbatore 100kms

Jan 3rd Day 11: Coimbatore -Bangalore -350 kms
Old 11th December 2009, 12:49   #29
BHPian

Hi Kumar Sir

My replies in Bold:

1) I have no idea about the route skipping Gobi, but I guess the distance will be around the same. No idea about the condition of the Pennagaram-Mecheri road, but if you want a faster road, best is to stick to NH7 till Toppur and then turn off for Mettur

Me: We can skip Gobi if we proceed straight towards Bangalapudhur after Athani instead of taking a left to gobi (If i remember right).Any ways I will update on 23rd december to give you the exact information.

2)Coimbatire-Sathy 70-Bannari 13-Hassanur 26-Chamarajnagar 40-Nanjangud 40-Mysore bypass 10-Krishnarajanagara 30-Hole Narsipur 40-Hassan 45-Belur 35-Halebidu 15-Belur 15-Chickmagalur 30, totaling 409 kms
I have personally not drive the Mysore-Hassan road, but I believe it is a good road. You will have to find the turn off on Mysore bypass (no need to enter Mysore city, when you are coming from Nanjangud, turn left onto the Mysore bypass, KR Nagara is not to be confused with KR Pet)

Me: How is the road from Bannari-dimbam to Mysore ? I heard from people that Mysore to hassan road is not at all good. and Road from hassan to belur and Halebidu are very good.

3)Route1: Agumbe-Tirthahalli 30-Huncha 30-Ribbonpet 20-Anantapura 10-Sagar 25-Jog Falls 40-Siddapura 10-Sirsi 40-Manchikeri 45-Yellapura 35-Haliyal 45-Alanvar 10-Londa 40-Khanapur 30-Belgaum 30-Chandgad 45-Amboli 35, totaling 520 kms

Route 2: Agumbe-Tirthahalli 30-Shimoga 50-Honnali 40-Harihar 40-Haveri 50-Hubli 75-Belgaum 105-Chandgad 45-Amboli 35, totaling 470 kms

Choice is between high speed roads and Malnad mountains!

Me: In this route will I cross the ghat if i travel that 35kms or Will i be passing the ghat on the way to goa. I want to enjoy the scenary in the day time.so suggest some place to stay before the amboli ghat section.

Is the route 1 mountain road or the route 2. I prefer Malnad mountains and lesser distance.
Old 11th December 2009, 13:16   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buvan View Post

Me: How is the road from Bannari-dimbam to Mysore ? I heard from people that Mysore to hassan road is not at all good. and Road from hassan to belur and Halebidu are very good.
Just read somewhere that as usual the road from the TN border to Chamarajnagar is not in good condition - I don't recall it ever being in good condition!!! But that is a short stretch, should not worry you. You can also spy wildlife on this stretch.

Hassan-Belur-Chickmagalur is a lovely road.

Quote:
Me: In this route will I cross the ghat if i travel that 35kms or Will i be passing the ghat on the way to goa. I want to enjoy the scenary in the day time.so suggest some place to stay before the amboli ghat section.
Route 1 is in Malnad throughout. No steep sections but great landscapes. On the other hand, if you take Route 2, from Shimoga onwards you will be on plains and boring terrain.

Belgaum is the only other place where you can stay before Amboli, since Chandgad is a small town.

Most Viewed