Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2009, 23:39   #31
BHPian

Thanks Kumar sir for your reply.Greatly appreciated.

When i searched for the route mentioned by you in googe maps it shows 470kms, Now i feel i cant trust google maps.

from:agumbe to:Tirthahalli to:Sagar to:Sirsi to:Yellapura to:Haliyal to:Londa,India to:Khanapur to:Belgaum to:Chandgad to:Amboli, Maharashtra - Google Maps
Old 11th December 2009, 23:55   #32
Senior - BHPian

I analysed the differences - Google has calculated a slightly shorter route between Sagar and Siddapura (avoiding Jog Falls), which route is not incorrect. What I am worried about is the distance difference in the Sirsi-Yellapura route (I have taken it from a drive on that road, but I am surprised why Google is so less, you will have the opportunity of proving one of us wrong).
Old 11th December 2009, 23:59   #33
BHPian

Hi Kumar sir

yeah even i noticed the same. But me to not interested in visiting Jog falls.Is the route from Sagar and Siddapura (avoiding Jog Falls) exists. I got confused when u said it is incorrect. Can i assume ,you mentioned incorrect based on the route you suggested me??

Yeah I think I will be able to give the right information when i complete this trip.
Old 12th December 2009, 08:47   #34
Senior - BHPian

No, what I meant is that both routes are correct, via Jog Falls and direct. However, I have no idea of the Google route. The route via Jog Falls to Siddapura is a good road. I think you can decide on either of the routes on the spot after ascertaining current road conditions.
Old 12th December 2009, 21:23   #35
BHPian

Thanks for the reply.Will definitely check and post it here .I have proposed the route you suggested to my friends.Let me see how it goes.
Old 13th December 2009, 21:25   #36
BHPian

Which route is better ?

(Option – 1) :Chikmagalur – Horanadu-Kudhremukh – Agumbe ( 183 Km)

(or)

(Option – 2) :Chikmagalur – Agumbe (through Bhadra Wildlife Scantuary) – (104 Km)

Distances above are as per google maps
Old 13th December 2009, 22:28   #37
Senior - BHPian

Please search the forum, I think Samurai has discussed 2 routes around the Bhadra WLS - one is the route inside the WLS from near Tirthahalli, and the other (what you want) the route from the Chickmagalur side entrance to near Balehonnur on the road to Khalasa/Horanadu. Please bear in mind that these are dirt tracks with forest department restrictions, and not ideal for those passing through.
Old 13th December 2009, 23:12   #38
BHPian

Hi Sir,

From whatever I read Chikmagalur-Mudigere-Hornadu-kalasa-kudremukh road is not good. but Chikmagalur-Ballehonnur-hornadu-kalasa-kudremukh-sringeri-agumbe is very good and scenic.Please find the details in the below post.But This is posted in 2007

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...explained.html

However the above route does not exist as per google maps.

I searched the route you suggested sir and again google maps confused me.please check the below link. your suggestion in bold

Chickmagalur-Mulayangiri 22-Chickmagalur 22-Aldur 20-Balehonnur 35-Koppa 40-Sringeri 40-Hariharapura 20-Agumbe 30, totaling 229 kms

from:Chikmagalur, to:aldur to:koppa to:sringeri to:Hariharpur to:Agumbe - Google Maps

Last edited by buvan : 13th December 2009 at 23:14.
Old 14th December 2009, 00:06   #39
Senior - BHPian

No, Google Maps got it wrong. I have personally travelled in the route I have suggested, and I re-checked the printed maps that I have (including a detailed district map of Chickmagalur District), they also indicate the same route and distance.
Old 14th December 2009, 11:21   #40
BHPian

Exactly ,Even I checked in Eicher India Road Atlas and The route you suggested is right. Dont know whats google maps is upto
Old 14th December 2009, 11:25   #41
BHPian

Chikmagalur-Ballehonnur-hornadu-kalasa-kudremukh-sringeri-agumbe

Is this road good Kumar sir???
Old 14th December 2009, 11:28   #42
Senior - BHPian

I don't know about the Balehonnur-Horanadu stretch, but for the rest of the route, roads are good. No reason why the road to Balehonnur should be bad - I beleive even the buses from Bangalore to Sringeri take that route.
Old 14th December 2009, 12:23   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buvan View Post
Which route is better ?

(Option – 1) :Chikmagalur – Horanadu-Kudhremukh – Agumbe ( 183 Km)

(or)

(Option – 2) :Chikmagalur – Agumbe (through Bhadra Wildlife Scantuary) – (104 Km)

Distances above are as per google maps
It depends on what places you want to see and how much time you have.
In route 1 you will have to encounter bad to very bad roads and it is longer. Route 2 is the shortest and has good roads compared to route 1.

Do not take route 1 unless you want to visit Kudremukh and Hornadu. From Kottigehara (where you turn right for Kalasa-Hornadu) the road is good for the first few kms till a place called Baalur. From Baalur, you have to turn left towards Kalasa. From here to Kalasa, the road is very rough. from Kalasa to Kudremukh, it is decent. Kudremukh-Hornadu via Kalasa is a single lane road. Again from Horanadu to Sringeri it is single lane road with potholes. But, it is very scenic. Sringeri to Agumbe road is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buvan View Post
I have personally not drive the Mysore-Hassan road, but I believe it is a good road. You will have to find the turn off on Mysore bypass (no need to enter Mysore city, when you are coming from Nanjangud, turn left onto the Mysore bypass, KR Nagara is not to be confused with KR Pet)

..... I heard from people that Mysore to hassan road is not at all good. and Road from hassan to belur and Halebidu are very good.
Mysore - Hassan road is part of the SH-57 which starts from Bilikere (near Mysore) and ends in Tarikere (on NH-206). This is easily one of the best roads in Karnataka state. It passes through:

Bilikere-K R Nagar-Hole Narsipur-Hassan-Belur-Chikmagalur-Lingadahalli-Tarikere

From Mysore, you have to ask for Hunsur road (SH-88). Continue on Hunsur road till Bilikere village. After a couple of kms from Bilikere village, you have to turn right towards K R Nagar & Hassan. The road is just lovely all the way till Hassan. Just watch out for humps near villages. You will encounter bad stretches inside Hassan.

Hassan-Belur & Hassan-Halebid roads are different. Hassan-Belur road again is a part of the SH-57 and is lovely. Hassan-Halebid road was relaid some 6-7 years back and has deteriorated a bit, but still a decent road. Halebid-Belur also was relaid during the same time and is supposed to be in good condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I don't know about the Balehonnur-Horanadu stretch, but for the rest of the route, roads are good. No reason why the road to Balehonnur should be bad - I beleive even the buses from Bangalore to Sringeri take that route.
Chikmagalur-Balehonnur-Sringeri road is good, but you need to watch out for sudden potholes, mostly in blind spots. Some of these are huge, but any sedan can manage easily. Even I have not traveled the Balehonnur-Hornadu stretch.
Old 14th December 2009, 14:39   #44
BHPian

Thanks Kumar sir and addyhemmige

I am doing this route on Bike. I was in a dilema whether to visit kudremukh or not.Saw some pictures and decided to do it . But might skip it based on the progress made on that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige
Hassan-Belur & Hassan-Halebid roads are different. Hassan-Belur road again is a part of the SH-57 and is lovely. Hassan-Halebid road was relaid some 6-7 years back and has deteriorated a bit, but still a decent road. Halebid-Belur also was relaid during the same time and is supposed to be in good condition.
Do you mean to say there is no direct route like this Hassan-halebidu-belur-Chikmagalur ????
Old 14th December 2009, 14:43   #45
BHPian

Spots en route

Can you please let me know what are all the spots (Can avoid temples) in both the below options

Option – 1) :Chikmagalur – Horanadu-Kudhremukh – Agumbe

(Option – 2) :Chikmagalur – Agumbe (through Bhadra Wildlife Scantuary) –

From whatever I know - Kudremukh peak, Lakya dam, Agumbe sun set point in Route 1 and No Idea about the Route 2

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks