Team-BHP - Bangalore-Shimogga-Jog Falls-Goa-Mangalore-Bangalore Route
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Bangalore-Shimogga-Jog Falls-Goa-Mangalore-Bangalore Route (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/29629-bangalore-shimogga-jog-falls-goa-mangalore-bangalore-route.html)

Hello,

I am planning for a 10 day trip in this route from 10th October - "Bangalore-Shimogga-Jog Falls-Goa-Mangalore-Bangalore" in my Maruti Baleno.

Learnt from the blogs about good roads from bangalore to Goa via shimogga. Also, heard about Mangalore - Bangalore route via Hassan is not possible in a car because of bad roads :confused: .

So, I have a few questions:

1. What route shoud I take for "Goa-Mangalore-Bangalore" stretch? Alternately, if the road via Mangalore is very bad and not safe, is it advisable to return to bangalore via Chitradurga(GQ)..

2. I want to halt a day in some good place b/w Goa and Mangalore, and one day in Mangalore. Pls suggest a good resort/hotel.

Thanks,
Ravi

Recently I travelled between Bangalore - Kadur - Shimoga - Jog falls - Honnavar - Karwar area.

Bad stretches : Between Kadur - Shimoga (almost 30km) not good but managable.
Between Jog - Honnavar also road is not good ( potholes and bad road once a while).

Road between Honnavar and Ankola is pathetic its so worst only SUV or Buses can travel there, any sedans or small cars its nightmare.

Between Ankola and Goa road is quiet good but with bad stretches.

Road between Honnavar and Mangalore is very bad, its difficult to find good road there :)

About Mangalore to Bangalore in Shiradi Ghat section road is pathetic I heard.

I suggest you avoid this trip this time. There is no sign of roads getting repaired in near future. We may have to wait for another one full year to see new governement in centre to see good national highways.

If you can afford fly from Bangalore to Goa and come bacl to bangalore by flight. Plan Bangalore to Mangalore trip in same fashion. You can hire taxy in Goa and Mangalore easily, I feel it will work best rather taking pain to driver our cars.

However If you are fine with bad roads go head, My relatives told me the same but I didn't care and I took my Innova in these bad roads and came back to bangalore with bad tyres within 1000km of travelling in bad roads.

Regards,

Ravi.

While going to Goa, Take the Haveri Sirsi Route rather than Shimoga route...less distance plus also good roads...Devimane ghat is in good shape...following travelogue can be helpful:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...alore-goa.html

Now coming to mangalore section...Well, NH17 from Kundapur to Mangalore can be painful but try to do it in daytime...For return journey,
choose the Udupi - Tirthahalli - Shimoga route....although distance is more but road is very scenic and in good shape...finally take the SHimoga - NH206 - Tumkur - bangalore...

Abhi

True. I did see a lot of potholes and some bad stretches between Udupi to Mulki. Heard the further is bad as well.

The Udupi-Agumbe-Tirthahalli-Shimoga route is pretty good and it is very scenic as well. I heard people tell me that the Udupi - Kundapur route is very bad as well. One reason why I dropped a Kollur trip.

Given the road conditions it may be better to get back directly to Bangalore from Goa or as suggested come via Shimoga and avoid the Sakleshpur-Hassan sector.

About the Udupi-Blore stretch; I heard by several people here that the karkala-kudremukh-kalsa stretch is most pleasurable, making that the shorter and better route from Udupi to Bangalore, isn't it?

Or is the Udupi-Hebri-Agumbe-Thirthalli-Shimoga-Tumkur-Blr route still better?

//Udupi-Hebri-Agumbe-Thirthalli-Shimoga-Tumkur-Blr route still better?

it was decent till this Aug even under heavy pour.
btw, on a 10 days trip in a monsoon,.. Agumbe/Sringeri & all should be IN in the plan! ;-)

Dear All,

Thank you all for your responses.. it has definetly helped me!

Given the road conditions and my internal desire to go to Sringeri and Horanadu, I am planning on the following -

BLR - Shimogga - Jog Falls - Gokarna - Goa
Goa - Udupi - (Sringeri & Horanadu) - Shimogga - BLR

Thanks Again,
Ravi

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravi_hsrlayout (Post 588739)
Dear All,

Thanks Again,
Ravi

Looks like you want to see JogFalls as well and hence you decided to that route for the onward journey...I suggest pls start early (3AM) then you can easily reach Goa by evening with all the breaks at Jog and other spots...

Abhi

Quote:

Originally Posted by akroy (Post 588756)
Looks like you want to see JogFalls as well and hence you decided to that route for the onward journey...I suggest pls start early (3AM) then you can easily reach Goa by evening with all the breaks at Jog and other spots...

Abhi

Whats the distance from Bangalore to Goa via Mangalore & via Jog falls ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 588770)
Whats the distance from Bangalore to Goa via Mangalore & via Jog falls ?

Well, Via Mangalore is out of Question because of bad roads but it should be around 750km
Via JogFalls around 700km..
Via Haveri-Sirsi around 650km (my Home to DonaPaula Guest House)

Lowest in terms of distance is Dharwad - Londa - OldGoa but that road is nonexistant since the last 3-4 years around 600km...

Abhi

Bangalore - Goa - Mangalore is fine.
Take Bangalore - Haveri - Sirsi - Karwar - Goa, This is 100kms more than Londa route, but far better roads.

Visiting Jog at this time will be very good, but takes lot of time to cover the distance to Goa.

In jan we drove on Londa route & that was the worst road I have ever seen. To cover 40kms it took around 5 hrs & that too in a Bolero. Some of the cars were struck on these roads as it was not possible to continue.
I heard they have done that road but why take chance.

But from Mangalore to Bangalore take Karkala - Kudremukh - Kalasa - Mudigere - Hassan - Bangalore.

This route is one of the most scenic routes in south India & good to drive. We have done this route many times & you will really enjoy the driving there.
Last travelled around a year back, But the road will be much better than Mangalore - Blr highway.
It will take around 4 hrs more. If you have time then you can visit Sringeri(22kms from this road) or Horanadu( ~10kms from Kalasa).

Finally it all depends on how much time you have to spend. I think 10days is good enough to do Jog, Goa, Mangalore, Sringeri, Horanadu

Quote:

Originally Posted by akroy (Post 588876)
Well, Via Mangalore is out of Question because of bad roads but it should be around 750km

But why is everyone discounting the Charmadi Ghats from Mangalore to Chikmagalur? Is that road in tatters as well? I read in several places that's it's one of the best roads to drive on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skandyhere (Post 589131)
But why is everyone discounting the Charmadi Ghats from Mangalore to Chikmagalur? Is that road in tatters as well? I read in several places that's it's one of the best roads to drive on.

Yeah it's one of the best places to drive . Yep lot of twisties, Hairpin bends while uphill drive.
I'm not so sure about the potholes in this stretch as of now, But it's always managable to drive in this route

@ravi_hsrlayout
Just a slight correction in this route Goa - Udupi - (Sringeri & Horanadu) - Shimogga - BLR ...
Avoid shimoga instead take Sringeri - Balehonnur - Aldur- chickmagalur- Hassan-BLR route
And for a stay between Mangalore - Goa would be Murdeshwar ..
Take any RNS hotels here which is neary by the sea

One more suggestion, If you want to go Goa via Jog Falls:

From Jog Falls you can try this route Jog Falls -> Siddapur -> Sirsi -> Mirjan -> Gokarna -> Goa. Road between Jog Falls and Mirjan is very good
except for 10 km bad stretch. This route is just 40km extra compared to Jog Falls -> Honnavar -> Kumta -> Mirjan -> Gokarana -> Goa.

Are you planning to stay @gokarana and site see it as well ? If so be sure to visit Om beech which is very good right now with good new road and it has SWa Swara resort which is nice as well. In Swa Swara resort there is pure sweet water problem is there I heard so be sure to drink good branded mineral water :)

I have travelled this route 2 weeks back.

Regards,

Ravi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravibhat (Post 589861)
From Jog Falls you can try this route Jog Falls -> Siddapur -> Sirsi -> Mirjan -> Gokarna -> Goa. Road between Jog Falls and Mirjan is very good
except for 10 km bad stretch. This route is just 40km extra compared to Jog Falls -> Honnavar -> Kumta -> Mirjan -> Gokarana -> Goa.

Ravi, this is an excellent suggession, I too second that...How come it just went off my mind ! I too heard from a source that the route is senic as well as nice...
I know Sirsi - Mirjan is an excellent ghat section (Devimane ghat is the only road which is so far in good condition)

Abhi