Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2010, 21:26   #31
BHPian

Breakfast at Le-Cafe on the Pondichery beach road - remember having seen idli there. But more of continental breakfast, a little pricey than usual but good for a change and the location is too good - on the beach.

Lunch - Rs. 350 buffet at Tharangambadi/Tranquebar - "The Bungalow on the beach" - highly recommend this.

We started at 5 am from Velachery and left 5 PM Velankanni after the church visit - after a very long lunch time + visit to Pichavaram. And I dont drive too fast. So your 10 hr trip should be good and enjoyable.
Old 30th November 2010, 13:34   #32
BHPian

Guys, any update on the present road conditions between

Chidambaram-Sirkazhi-Karaikal

after recent heavy rains in these places? Anyone done a recent trip in this route, please update. I'm planning to drive to Karaikal with family this weekend.
Old 30th November 2010, 13:49   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssengo View Post
Guys, any update on the present road conditions between

Chidambaram-Sirkazhi-Karaikal

after recent heavy rains in these places? Anyone done a recent trip in this route, please update. I'm planning to drive to Karaikal with family this weekend.
I was there some three weeks back travelled thro Chidambaram to Sirkazhi.. The road was OK in fact the rain had only started during the time that I had been there.

Not sure what the condition is for past two weeks.
Old 13th October 2011, 00:58   #34
BHPian

re: Chennai to Velankanni : Route Queries

I am planning to visit Velankanni from Chennai in 2 weeks. I have not traveled this stretch before. I would appreciate any updates or tips on road condition and route.

Also any suggestion for good hotel/accommodation in Velankanni and approximate cost will be helpful. Thanks.
Old 13th October 2011, 07:31   #35
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy28 View Post
I am planning to visit Velankanni from Chennai in 2 weeks. I have not traveled this stretch before. I would appreciate any updates or tips on road condition and route.
I drove in my Linea from Chennai to Velankanni via Pondy on NH 45/66/45A in August 2011. The road condition was bad near Cuddalore in view of pipe-laying works. Other than that stretch, all other stretches were in good condition up to Velankanni. NH 45/66 are 4-lane all the way to Pondy. NH 45A was good 2-lane road road except near Cuddalore.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 13th October 2011 at 07:33.
  (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 09:20   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy28 View Post

Also any suggestion for good hotel/accommodation in Velankanni and approximate cost will be helpful. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I drove in my Linea from Chennai to Velankanni via Pondy on in August 2011. The road condition was bad near Cuddalore in view of pipe-laying works. Other than that stretch, all other stretches were in good condition up to Velankanni. NH 45/66 are 4-lane all the way to Pondy.
The other option is to by-pass Pondy. Go on GST (NH45) till Vikravandi and divert to Panruti and land up at Chidambaram.
Then its the regular route via Sirkazhi/Tranquebarr/Nagapattanam.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 09:24   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The other option is to by-pass Pondy. Go on GST (NH45) till Vikravandi and divert to Panruti and land up at Chidambaram.
How is the condition of the roads from Vikravandi - is it always bad??!
In between I heard too of some problems around Sethiathope on the way to Chidambaram - all ok now?
Old 13th October 2011, 09:29   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
How is the condition of the roads from Vikravandi - is it always bad??!
In between I heard too of some problems around Sethiathope on the way to Chidambaram - all ok now?
45C situation has NOT improved. But some respite in traffic reduction I think because of the Anaikarai bridge going down. But still I would say its better than taking the 4L 66 through Pondycherry and the slow moving Pondicherry-Chidambaram ECR section.

No idea about problems around Sethiathope.

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th December 2011 at 00:12. Reason: Corrected text
Old 13th October 2011, 22:27   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I drove in my Linea from Chennai to Velankanni via Pondy on NH 45/66/45A in August 2011. The road condition was bad near Cuddalore in view of pipe-laying works. Other than that stretch, all other stretches were in good condition up to Velankanni. NH 45/66 are 4-lane all the way to Pondy. NH 45A was good 2-lane road road except near Cuddalore.
Thanks Ravi. I will most likely take this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thanks ampere. I like the idea about by-passing Pondy. But I am not sure if the road from Vikravandi to Chidambaram is good.
Old 15th December 2011, 23:54   #40
BHPian

A Sr. friend is travelling from BLR - Chennai - Pondy - Chidambaram.

BLR - Chennai - Pondy have been figured out...

need help with, between Pondy - Chidambaram:
1. which route to take?
2. how is the road condition?
3. anything to watch out in these areas?

thanks for the input in advance...
Old 9th April 2012, 20:36   #41
BHPian

Folks,

Sudden plan to travel to Velankanni. Planning to leave Chennai by 3.00 am.

Route planned is via Thindivanam , Pondy , detour & boating at Pichavaram and then to Velankanni for lunch.

Return on Wednesday planned via Thirukattuapalli (Poondi Church near Tanjore) then hit the Trichy Chennai bypass.

Any suggestions / tips would be welcome.
Old 9th April 2012, 21:53   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon
Folks,

Sudden plan to travel to Velankanni. Planning to leave Chennai by 3.00 am.

Route planned is via Thindivanam , Pondy , detour & boating at Pichavaram and then to Velankanni for lunch.

Return on Wednesday planned via Thirukattuapalli (Poondi Church near Tanjore) then hit the Trichy Chennai bypass.

Any suggestions / tips would be welcome.
Too early. If you start at 3, you will reach pichavaram by 7am by which time no body will be there. Start at around 4.30 or 5 and you can reach Cuddalore at 8. Have your breakfast there (adayar ananda bhavan is a good choice), and head to pichavaram. Pichavaram - Velankanni is just another 2.30 hrs drive.

Last edited by Harshavarthan : 9th April 2012 at 21:57.
Harshavarthan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 22:34   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
Too early. If you start at 3, you will reach pichavaram by 7am by which time no body will be there. Start at around 4.30 or 5 and you can reach Cuddalore at 8. Have your breakfast there (adayar ananda bhavan is a good choice), and head to pichavaram. Pichavaram - Velankanni is just another 2.30 hrs drive.
My initial plan was to leave by 4.
In one of the other threads it was suggested to be in Pichavaram by 6.30.
Marlon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 22:46   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon
My initial plan was to leave by 4.
In one of the other threads it was suggested to be in Pichavaram by 6.30.
Sorry mate. I'm not sure then. It was just a guess. But I seriously doubt if the ticket counter will be open before 9.
Old 17th July 2012, 16:54   #45
BHPian

Hi
I am planning to visit Rameswaram and Thiruchendur next month from Chennai and would like to take the ECR from Pondy/Cuddalore. How is the state of ECR these days.
Some questions
1. I plan to start early and drive straight to Rameswaram by evening or so - is it feasible ?
2 Spend next day there visiting all the holy spots.
3. Start early next day to Thiruchendur, visit temple, have lunch and head to Madurai and check into a hotel.Visit Meenakshi temple ( next day early morning)
4. Start back next day to Chennai

Please suggest the optimal ECR route too !

Thanks !

Last edited by polopm : 17th July 2012 at 16:56. Reason: plan too ambitious ? changed now !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks