Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2023, 11:14   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chennai to Velankanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanan.skr View Post
Last time when I went by ECR, there was some 4 lane construction going on. Any improvements on that? or is there any alternative better route?
Any thoughts on that, please advice.
When I traveled in Feb between Velankanni and Cuddalore, there were road works happening more or less all the way.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 11:40   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
When I traveled in Feb between Velankanni and Cuddalore, there were road works happening more or less all the way.
Thanks for the response
Can we still take that route or would you suggest any other alternate one?
Old 28th June 2023, 11:46   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Last time when I went by ECR, there was some 4 lane construction going on. Any improvements on that? or is there any alternative better route?
Any thoughts on that, please advice.
Please avoid Cuddalore - Chidambaram - Sirkali - Karaikal stretch. work is on full swing and particularly after dark strict no - no condition. I believe its worth taking longer route through Kumbakonam - Nedungadu - Karaikal - Nagapattinam.
venki.bala is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 12:07   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
I believe its worth taking longer route through Kumbakonam - Nedungadu - Karaikal - Nagapattinam.
How about taking Chn-Trichy-Tanjavur-Needamangalam-Tiruvarur-Nagapatinam where we get 4 Lane all the way till Tanjavur(does it make any sense!)?
Old 28th June 2023, 13:01   #95
BHPian

Quote:
How about taking Chn-Trichy-Tanjavur-Needamangalam-Tiruvarur-Nagapatinam where we get 4 Lane all the way till Tanjavur(does it make any sense!)?
Thanjavur - Needamangalam - Tiruvarur - Nagapattinam is also under widening. Tiruvarur - Nagai road condition is even worser than cuddalore - chidambaram when i went 6 months back. Much better would be Thanjavur - Mannargudi - T.Poondi - Nagai. Except for few bridge works diversion between thanjavur - mannai and curvy mannai - T Poondi. But it will be too long distance wise. Thanjavur - Mannai - 45 mins Mannai - T.Poondi - 45 mins
T Poondi - Nagai - 45 mins. close to 3 hours of travel time.
venki.bala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 13:19   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Tiruvarur - Nagai road condition is even worser than cuddalore - chidambaram
thanks for your help. I think it will be better if I stick with your earlier suggestion (thru' KMK).
ramanan.skr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 12:07   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Please avoid Cuddalore - Chidambaram - Sirkali - Karaikal stretch. work is on full swing and particularly after dark strict no - no condition. I believe its worth taking longer route through Kumbakonam - Nedungadu - Karaikal - Nagapattinam.
I am planning to drive to Tarangambadi tomorrow. I believe heavy road works are still ongoing in ECR. So will it be better to go via GST road till Vikravandi and go to Chidambaram and continue further just to bypass the Cuddalore road works. I guess there is no escape from Chidambaram to Tarangambadi road work as it is part of ECR. Any pointers to any other better route?
Old 8th August 2023, 16:26   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
I am planning to drive to Tarangambadi tomorrow. I believe heavy road works are still ongoing in ECR. So will it be better to go via GST road till Vikravandi and go to Chidambaram and continue further just to bypass the Cuddalore road works. I guess there is no escape from Chidambaram to Tarangambadi road work as it is part of ECR. Any pointers to any other better route?
I wouldn't go via Vikravandi either. Vikravandi-Kumbakonam 4-laning is going on for ages.

Would take Veppur-Vriddachalam-Jayamkondam-GKC-Anaikarai-Tiruppanandal-Mayavaram-Tarangambadi. This would minimize the bad roading you have to do.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 18:15   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
I wouldn't go via Vikravandi either. Vikravandi-Kumbakonam 4-laning is going on for ages.

Would take Veppur-Vriddachalam-Jayamkondam-GKC-Anaikarai-Tiruppanandal-Mayavaram-Tarangambadi. This would minimize the bad roading you have to do.
Thanks Narayan. I have to go to Pondicherry and then to Tarangambadi. So does it still make sense to reach Pondy through Tindivanam and then come out to Villupuram and take the above route? Or just bear the pain of ECR itself since I am driving by day time. Any recent experience on ECR beyond Pondy?
Old 8th August 2023, 19:48   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Narayan. I have to go to Pondicherry and then to Tarangambadi. So does it still make sense to reach Pondy through Tindivanam and then come out to Villupuram and take the above route? Or just bear the pain of ECR itself since I am driving by day time. Any recent experience on ECR beyond Pondy?
Its going to be a tough call for you. since its daytime and if you can handle the road construction activity that is in full swing I would suggest you to proceed in the ECR. if you feel you dont mind coming back to Villupuram, take the anaikarai route. its going to be a longer one but timing wise i guess it would be almost the same and stress free.
venki.bala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2023, 16:48   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
does it still make sense to reach Pondy through Tindivanam and then come out to Villupuram and take the above route?
Tindivanam-Pondy is great. But Pondy-Villupuram is high traffic road. I would retrace back to Tindivanam and catch GST than enduring the Villupuram road.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2023, 21:00   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Its going to be a tough call for you. since its daytime and if you can handle the road construction activity that is in full swing I would suggest you to proceed in the ECR. if you feel you dont mind coming back to Villupuram, take the anaikarai route. its going to be a longer one but timing wise i guess it would be almost the same and stress free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Tindivanam-Pondy is great. But Pondy-Villupuram is high traffic road. I would retrace back to Tindivanam and catch GST than enduring the Villupuram road.
I bit the bullet and took the ECR from Pondy. Road works and diversion is an understatement. I thought it is expansion of existing road but there is literally no road after Cuddalore. I don't know why they are doing concrete road but they are building by scraping out completely old road and increased width. Wherever it is half complete, the deviations are not well marked.

Even with all of this, private buses are driving like maniacs. It took me 3.5 hours from Pondy to Tarangambadi since it is day time. It is a strict no in the night with family.

I am returning tomorrow and will try out Mayavaram - Kattumannar koil - Virudhasalam road mentioned in the Kumbakonam road thread.
thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 18:11   #103
BHPian

Did a recent trip from Kumbakonam to Velankanni and Tuticorin. Routes as below :

Kumbakonam-Needamangalam-Mannargudi-Thiruthuraipoondi-Velankanni

Note :
- There is road construction work in progress in the Kumbakonam-Needamangalam route, i.e. bridges under construction and unpaved stretches (Approx 20 kms distance)

ECR Route, Velankanni-Thiruthuraipoondi-Adirampattinam-Mimisal-Thondi-Ramanathpuram-Keelakarai-Tuticorin

Note :
- ECR is a single lane route which is well paved
- There are several fuel stations all along the route having toilets
- Local eateries are found is small towns, but not the known brands
- Ramanathapuram area has some good eateries along the highway
- Very low traffic all along the route
- No toll

ECR return route, Tuticorin-Ramanathapuram-Thondi-Mimisal-Adirampattinam- Mannargudi-Needamangalam-Kumbakonam

Note :
- Followed GMaps and took a route that byepassed Keelakarai and other small villages and reached Ramanathapuram
- The Adirampattinam-Mannargudi stretch is awesome. A straight road, well paved with good signages and in pristine condition
- Several good food options at Mannargudi
- No toll
Aerobat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks