Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2007, 19:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Chennai to Velankanni : Route Queries

I guess Velankanni is around 375 kms from Chennai. I know there are two ways to get to velankanni one via ECR through Pondy, kadalur, & chidambaram/ other via tindivanam, kumbakonam & thanjavur

But don't know the exact route and distance between places & also about the road conditions.

Which is the best route to Velankanni from Chennai?
Whats the distance?
How about the road conditions?

pls help
Old 4th October 2007, 19:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Surprise I had done Pondy -Velankanni last April, have written a travelogue too on the same.

Route : Pondy –Cuddalore-Chidambaram-Seargazhi(Sirkali) –Karaikkal-Nagoor-Nagapattinam-Velankanni (Distance : 180 kms / Highway : NH45a)

Pondy to Chidambaram roads are superb. About 10kms from Chidambaram the road narrows down into a 6 feet wide road for a few kms.

Bad roads once again after crossing Nagapattinam. For about 5 kms there is virtually no roads towards Velankanni. Could have changed by now since the road work was on then.

So distance between Chennai and Pondy + 180 kms.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 4th October 2007 at 19:49.
Old 5th October 2007, 14:50   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Surprise I had done Pondy -Velankanni last April, have written a travelogue too on the same.

Route : Pondy –Cuddalore-Chidambaram-Seargazhi(Sirkali) –Karaikkal-Nagoor-Nagapattinam-Velankanni (Distance : 180 kms / Highway : NH45a)

Pondy to Chidambaram roads are superb. About 10kms from Chidambaram the road narrows down into a 6 feet wide road for a few kms.

Bad roads once again after crossing Nagapattinam. For about 5 kms there is virtually no roads towards Velankanni. Could have changed by now since the road work was on then.

So distance between Chennai and Pondy + 180 kms.
Hi,
spot on.
After about a couple of kms from Sirkazhi you will find a left with a huge sign board directing to Velankanni. Take this route it will be shorter by 25 kms.And this is via Thirukaddiyur,nad karaikal,nagore as mentioned.
These are single roads with heavy tanker lorries operating from narimanam and genral village traffic. In thirukaddiyur be sure to take the right turn ,straight you hit poompuhar.
Old 5th October 2007, 16:44   #4
BHPian

The route with better roads all the way is
Tambaram, Tindivanam, Pondichery, Cuddalore, Chidambaram, Karaikal, Nagapattinam, Veilankanni.
Old 5th October 2007, 19:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After about a couple of kms from Sirkazhi you will find a left with a huge sign board directing to Velankanni. Take this route it will be shorter by 25 kms.And this is via Thirukaddiyur,nad karaikal,nagore as mentioned
Straight goes to which place and how does it takes to velakanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksethuram View Post
Tambaram, Tindivanam, Pondichery, Cuddalore, Chidambaram, Karaikal, Nagapattinam, Veilankanni.
will we touch Sirkazhi in this route.
Old 5th October 2007, 19:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Yes you will touch Sirkazi, its the next town/city after Chidambaram.

Surprise I would say go ahead and do the drive.Its simply a nice experience and quite a few places to stop by. I enjoyed every bit of my drive and will do it again in the near future.
Old 5th October 2007, 19:41   #7
BHPian

If you are leaving city between 6-10 in the evening take ECR to pondy, same way if you are entering chennai between 6-9 AM on all days or 6-9 PM on sunday take ECR road as Thindivanam Tambaram road is known to have heavy traffic these times.
Old 5th October 2007, 19:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Surprise all I can say is that nothing can outbeat the scenic beauty along ECR. Beyond that its your call, drive safe .
Old 5th October 2007, 19:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Do not miss driving through the rice fields of Thanjavur district!.I will post pics later to give you an idea.And, the roads are in good condition!.A surprise.
Old 6th October 2007, 04:01   #10
BHPian

if you havent left yet, dont miss Point calimere past velankani. Awesome place. They say you can see the lights from SriLanka when it gets dark.
Old 31st October 2007, 23:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to drive to Velankanni again in a few weeks. Last time we went, I reached Velankanni in 311kms.

Any info on the road conditions of late since we had some bad rains?
Old 1st November 2007, 11:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

What About Velankanni To Rameswaram

I will be taking the Tanjore, Velankanni, Pattukottai, Rameswaram route shortly. These posts are God-sent to know what to expect in and around Nagapattinam and Velankanni.

Has anyone travelled thro the East Cost Road to Rameswaram, Tuticorin, Terichendur recently? It would be a great help to know the conditions to plan timings etc.

--Ramky
Old 5th November 2007, 10:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

Any one taken this route recntly. Badly need the road condition update to choose between 2 cars Alto or Santro.
Old 5th November 2007, 13:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksethuram View Post
Nope... when you have the ECR why take Tindivanam route?

Easier to go to Pondy is the ECR. Its Chennai->Thirvanmayur->Mahabalipuram->Pondy....
Old 12th November 2007, 09:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Update

Driving from Pondicherry to Nagapattinam is a pain. After Chidambarram the roads get worst. Avoid night driving. Rains have worsened the road now.

Closer to Sirkali, a long stretch has a single vehicle road where you have to be extremely careful as there is deep edges on both sides of the road. If you are on a small car, stop for the other vehicle to pass as moving onto the edge is dangerous. I had a taste of it last week.

Most Viewed