Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2007, 01:01   #1
Team-BHP Support

Gwalior To Nagpur - Via Bhopal. Is it doable in a day?

Well guys, needed a smal help. One of the family cars (an Indigo) will do the Gwalior to Nagpur stretch sometimes during the last week of this month.

Now we are not interested to take the Sagar route as quite a few people have suggested that the road is no good. An alternate suggested has been via Bhopal. It looks like the Gwalior-Bhopal-Nagpur is a drive of roughly 800 kms. Now I have covered that much and some more in a day (roughly 15 hours). However that was on excellent turfs where the vehicle could run at 130-140kmph speeds for extended periods. I am not so sure about this route.

I would like to know how good is the road from Gwalior to Bhopal and then to Nagpur? Can this 800km stretch be done in a day or should a break be taken at Bhopal?

Also, is the regular route via sagar doable in a day inspite of bad roads?
Old 8th October 2007, 01:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Gwalior- Nagpur route avoiding Sagar should be something like this..

Gwalior--->Shivpuri--->Rajgarh[ NH-3] --->Bhopal--[NH12]--->Gadarwara--->Narsingpur--->
Lakhnadon---[NH7]--->Seoni---->Deolapur--->Ramtek--->Kamthi--->Nagpur
Old 8th October 2007, 02:03   #3
Team-BHP Support

Ok. But then can this route be covered in a day? What is the condition of this road nowadays?
Old 8th October 2007, 10:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

The route via Sagar is 720 kms, shorter than the Bhopal route.

Gwalior-Jhansi 120 kms-Lalitpur 140-Sagar 110-Narasinghpur 140-Laknadon 75-Seoni 60-Nagpur 130 kms

I have done this route in 15 hours, when the roads were very bad between Lalitpur and Laknadon, a distance of over 300 kms (that section took me 8 hours.

Pre-rains, one of our team mebers Biswajit had done this route and he was reasonably happy with road conditions, but I dont know how bad it is after the rains. In any case, construction work is on in this entire stretch (GQ double-roading).

On the route via Bhopal, Iyou have to still go from Narasingpur to Laknadon, which is a distance of 75 kms on bad roads.

And, after rains, even the roads from Gwalior to Shivpuri and Beora on NH3 are in a bad shape (no idea how bad they are this year), so do you really have a good road choice?
Old 8th October 2007, 10:59   #5
Team-BHP Support

So Kumar saab, thats just 80 kms less (route via sagar) than the route via Bhopal. On the other hand you are saying that the sagar route will probably encounter around 300kms of bad patch whereas the Bhopal route will have 75 kms of bad road to drive on. Won't that make the Bhopal route a better option?
Old 8th October 2007, 11:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

No, if the Gwalior-Shivpuri-Biaora road is also bad, you can add to the bad road sections on the Bhopal route. Not much of a choice really, in both routes you are likely to be slowed down anyway except that the Bhopal route has more traffic and better facilities. It is difficult to decide, but I would take the Sagar route unless I hear that is is really very bad (why not checkout with some lorry drivers at Gwalior if they know how bad the respective routes are now?)
Old 5th October 2009, 14:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Any latest updates on this route from anyone ? Hope the road conditions have improved on this route in last 2 years ?
Anyone if they have taken this route, kindly update the conditions of the road.
Old 5th October 2009, 15:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Any latest updates on this route from anyone ? Hope the road conditions have improved on this route in last 2 years ?
Anyone if they have taken this route, kindly update the conditions of the road.
This thread from the guys who did the Leh drive has updates on the road conditions.:Hyderabad - Nagpur - Betul - Itarsi - Hoshangabad - Bhimbetka-Bhopal - Beora - Guna - Shivpuri - Gwalior

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...4-km-saga.html
Old 20th October 2011, 23:53   #9
Team-BHP Support

Re: Gwalior To Nagpur - Via Bhopal. Is it doable in a day?

I am reviving this thread with the same query with some augmentation. I am planning to do Hyderabad to Gwalior... in a day! The car will be a Manza. Now thats about 1280 kms I believe, if done via Bhopal.

I am told that the Sagar route is still best avoided. Hence the Bhopal route. I am planning to leave Hyderabad at night, say after 12 am. I think Nagpur should be reachable by 6 to 7 in the morning. From there, is it possible to reach Gwalior by evening? Please consider the road conditions and resultant driver fatigue into the equation.

Those who have a more recent experience of this route please suggest. I am now planning the drive in Dec. Need to make bookings for stay enroute to Himachal. I am in a quandry as some people have suggested that instead of targetting Himachal in 2 days I should do it in 3 days. My plan is to do 1st day upto Gwalior and then after an overnight stay the next day to Shimla. While others suggested to go only till Nagpur on the first day and then after an overnight refresher break I should attack the rest in the 2 days. The main idea being driver fatigue as the roads on these parts of the country (post Nagpur) will not be the wide stretches of highway as I am normally used to.

Can someone please suggest?

Last edited by Zappo : 20th October 2011 at 23:54.
Old 21st October 2011, 09:01   #10
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I think Nagpur should be reachable by 6 to 7 in the morning. From there, is it possible to reach Gwalior by evening?
I did Nagpur to Gwalior on 11/12 September 2011 as a part of my Leh expedition. We had left Nagpur by 2 pm and reached Gwalior on the next day early morning via Sagar. At that time, I was advised that Sagar route was better than Bhopal route! As I wanted to explore N-S Corridor, I took this route, which was frustrating and strenuous to say the least. For the return journey, I took the best and round-about route of NH 8/4. The details are here.

Old 21st October 2011, 09:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am reviving this thread with the same query with some augmentation. I am planning to do Hyderabad to Gwalior... in a day! The car will be a Manza. Now thats about 1280 kms I believe, if done via Bhopal.

I am told that the Sagar route is still best avoided. Hence the Bhopal route. I am planning to leave Hyderabad at night, say after 12 am. I think Nagpur should be reachable by 6 to 7 in the morning. From there, is it possible to reach Gwalior by evening? Please consider the road conditions and resultant driver fatigue into the equation.

Those who have a more recent experience of this route please suggest. I am now planning the drive in Dec. Need to make bookings for stay enroute to Himachal. I am in a quandry as some people have suggested that instead of targetting Himachal in 2 days I should do it in 3 days. My plan is to do 1st day upto Gwalior and then after an overnight stay the next day to Shimla. While others suggested to go only till Nagpur on the first day and then after an overnight refresher break I should attack the rest in the 2 days. The main idea being driver fatigue as the roads on these parts of the country (post Nagpur) will not be the wide stretches of highway as I am normally used to.

Can someone please suggest?
The route via Nagpur & Bhopal to Gwalior is equally bad, if not worse than the Sagar route.
Old 21st October 2011, 09:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to leave Hyderabad at night, say after 12 am. I think Nagpur should be reachable by 6 to 7 in the morning. From there, is it possible to reach Gwalior by evening? Please consider the road conditions and resultant driver fatigue into the equation.
My parents stay in Bhopal and my in-laws stay in Nagpur. So I have travelled a lot between Bhopal and Nagpur by road in the recent past.

First of all you need to understand that the highways in MP are really really poor. They are narrrow potholed roads with no dividers. Also there are several ghat sections on this road, where speed has to be reduced.

There is a lot of truck traffic on this road. A lot of truck accidents also happen on this road. On an average, at least one truck gets toppled every day on this road. Remember that the road is narrow, hence if a truck gets toppled, the whole road gets jammed and you could be stuck for hours.

There are several railway crossings on the road. Since the road is undivided, when a train is crossing, traffic builds up on both sides of the road (left and right) on both sides of the railway crossing. And when the gates are lifted, all hell breaks loose.

When I got married in Feb 11, our baraat went (and came back) from Bhopal to Nagpur by road. In both the journeys, we encountered toppled trucks and the resulting traffic jams. Normally it should take 6-7 hours from Bhopal to Nagpur, but actually it takes 9-10 hours. Plus the route is extremely strenuous for the driver (and the passengers).

I would seriously advice you to reconsider your plan. Leave Hyd in the morning and take a night halt at Nagpur. Then leave Nagpur early morning.

Rohan
Old 21st October 2011, 09:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Last January I did this stretch from Hyderabad to Manali.
Hyderabad to Nagpur you can do between 6-7hrs.Road work still going on between Kamareddy and Perkit but no issues.
After Adilabad to Hingaghat one side of the lane is open.
From Nagpur-Betul- Shahpur good roads.
Shahpur to Obaidullagunj roads are average and improves after that.
It is in this stretch of ghat lot of accidents I saw as rohan mentioned.
It took me 7hrs for this stretch from Nagpur-Bhopal.
Bhopal to Agra roads are drivable but heavy lorry traffic it took me 9.30hrs.
So plan your trip accordingly.
If it is four lane no issue, the two laned N.H with lorry traffic really drains you out.

Last edited by gajadonga : 21st October 2011 at 10:01.
Old 21st October 2011, 11:09   #14
BANNED

I Hear after the intervention of the High Court NHAI is now hard at work on the various roads in MP. The deadline was the third week of October in may of them, but expect the work to be done by the middle of November (more realistic).
Old 21st October 2011, 14:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I Hear after the intervention of the High Court NHAI is now hard at work on the various roads in MP. The deadline was the third week of October in may of them, but expect the work to be done by the middle of November (more realistic).
What is the nature of this work being done by NHAI ?

Are they widening the highways or just filling up the potholes ?

Rohan

Most Viewed