Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2012, 19:30   #2041
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
cross checked with my colleague. He travelled last week from Dharwad which has a bit of pot holes, rest of the route is perfectly fine. He travelled by Indica. Apparently i found out that Kumbarawada falls on this route. IIRC, somebody was referring to this route earlier. He covered the stretch of Dharwad-Panaji in 3.5 hours with a 15 min tea break at Anmod. I think this is the shortest route so far (barring the Charla ghat which is not in good shape).

With all probability I will take this route while going and on return i will take the Karwar, Ankola, Hubli route.
If falls is what you're looking at, then take amboli ghat route. you'll enjoy the route and falls and more over, you get into north goa straight which means, all that you'll miss is palolem beach.
Old 18th October 2012, 19:40   #2042
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Apparently i found out that Kumbarawada falls on this route. IIRC, somebody was referring to this route earlier. He covered the stretch of Dharwad-Panaji in 3.5 hours with a 15 min tea break at Anmod. I think this is the shortest route so far (barring the Charla ghat which is not in good shape).
Kumbharwada I think should NOT be on this route. Because it falls in the Joida-Kadra route on the Anshi section. ((somewhere here)

(This is south of Ramnagar)

The road to Panaji is on the opposite side from Ramnagar https://maps.google.co.in/maps?q=15....num=1&t=m&z=14 than towards Kumbharwada.
Old 18th October 2012, 21:41   #2043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
If falls is what you're looking at, then take amboli ghat route. you'll enjoy the route and falls and more over, you get into north goa straight which means, all that you'll miss is palolem beach.
Sorry..i think you mistook about the falls...what I meant is the place Kubmharwada is on this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Kumbharwada I think should NOT be on this route. Because it falls in the Joida-Kadra route on the Anshi section. ((somewhere here)

(This is south of Ramnagar)

The road to Panaji is on the opposite side from Ramnagar https://maps.google.co.in/maps?q=15....num=1&t=m&z=14 than towards Kumbharwada.
Google shows that Kumbharwada is on this route. Here is the link
Old 18th October 2012, 22:00   #2044
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sorry..i think you mistook about the falls...what I meant is the place Kubmharwada is on this route.

Sorry for the confusion. There are 2 places. The one you are referring to is Kumbarawad, while I was referring to Kumbharwada!

I think Wikimapia has the both locations marked correctly.
(While Google does not show Kumbharwada)

Here is the reference:

Kumbarawad

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=15.423...rch=kumbarawad

Kumbharwada

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=15.127...ch=kumbharwada
Old 18th October 2012, 22:28   #2045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Sorry for the confusion. There are 2 places. The one you are referring to is Kumbarawad, while I was referring to Kumbharwada!

I think Wikimapia has the both locations marked correctly.
(While Google does not show Kumbharwada)

Here is the reference:

Kumbarawad

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=15.423...rch=kumbarawad

Kumbharwada

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=15.127...ch=kumbharwada
Thanks ampere..for this clarification. This is a very good piece of information.

Any idea about the current road condition of Bangalore-Mangalore stretch (specifically Shakleshpur and shiradi ghat) and Mangalore-Goa stretch?
Old 18th October 2012, 22:57   #2046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon

Thanks ampere..for this clarification. This is a very good piece of information.

Any idea about the current road condition of Bangalore-Mangalore stretch (specifically Shakleshpur and shiradi ghat) and Mangalore-Goa stretch?
Mangalore Goa beyond kundapur is mostly broken up and is a long tiring drive.Expect roads to be patched up by December which is the usual norm every year after monsoons.
Old 19th October 2012, 08:22   #2047
BHPian

Quote:

You got it right, I had visited this village some time ago , the name on the board was Kumbard , I'll have someone local confirm what it is Kumbard or Kumbarwada .There is also the Place Handibadangnath in the place.The place is worth a visit if you are on the road.

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-dsc00341.jpg
Old 19th October 2012, 09:41   #2048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Mangalore Goa beyond kundapur is mostly broken up and is a long tiring drive.Expect roads to be patched up by December which is the usual norm every year after monsoons.
Thanks Ranjit for the info. I was thinking of Bangalore-Mangalore-Goa. Now I hav e to let go off Mangalore and instead will go to Goa directly.
Old 22nd October 2012, 15:32   #2049
BHPian

Re: North Goa - Better to take Karwar or Belgaum route ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
Belgaum route is definitely better to reach North Goa. Superb NH4 all the way till Belgaum. Enter Belgaum City, go past Golf course to take Sawantwadi road. Road about 12-15km after Belgaum is is bad shape but manageable with average speed of 50kmph. Then its superb road all the way. Few bad patches around Amboli Ghats.

Taking Karwar routeto reach north Goa will delay your journey by couple of hours as you need to Negotiate traffic inside Goa traveling through many towns and cities.

I am back from Goa. Took your advise and went via Belgaum and returned via Ankola.

Took a wrong turn after Belgaum and went through SH 130 (turned left early) instead of the Sawantwadi route. This was on account of listening blindly to Google navigation. Road is not good but the scenery is out of the world. Left Bangalore at 4:45 and reached Siolim at 3:00 without breaks. Assume that would have reached faster if I had taken the Sawantwadi route. ON the return left Benaulim at 6:45AM and reached old airport road at 7:15PM with breaks of 1 hr 15 minutes in total. The last 13 kms took 1.5 hours so taking NICE road might make sense if there is peak traffic. Yeshwantpur is a total mess.

Lessons learnt:

1) Clearly take Belgaum for north Goa and Ankola for South
2) Roads are really good. Too many diversions between Tumkur and Sirsa as there is construction
3) Dont rely blindly on Google
4) Be careful inside Belgaum for speed check. I was fined for going at 60 in a 40 zone.
5) If you are going by Belgaum get the directions around Belgaum clear.

Hope this helps other going sometime soon.,
Old 25th October 2012, 11:45   #2050
Senior - BHPian

I just came back from my Bangalore to Goa trip from 21st to 24th.

1. Bangalore to Goa- Went via Tumkur-Ranibennur-Chitradurga-Hubli-Ankola-Karwar-Goa. Total driving time was about 11.5 hours including total break of about 50 minutes and a small detour. Started from Bangalore at 4.40 am, touched the resort in North Goa at 4.10 pm. Great roads all throughout. Loved the Karwar to Goa road and the internal roads in Goa are just lovely. But the stretch between Haveri-Hubli on NH4 is uneven and has too many diversions, so it’s difficult to maintain speeds over 120.
2. Goa to Bangalore: Left the resort in North Goa at 8.40 am. Reached my home on North Bangalore at 7.10pm so about 10.5 hours incl 45 mins break plus some 30 mins lost in the Tumkur and Nelamangala Toll booth. So total driving time was about 9.15 hours which is good. On the return trip, made the mistake of relying on Google navigation. It took me through SH130, which is the Kolhapur route via the Ghats. Boy!! What a terrible road if it can be called that. At one point, I was stuck in 1st gear on an incline, with my wheels spinning on the loose stones and gravel. Somehow managed driving that 25 kms keeping below 15-20 km/h. That was hell, no roads, just loose stones on the ghat and a pathetic surface. But once we reached the top, the road became better all the way down connecting to the Sawantwadi-Belgaum road.
I was able to reach Belgaum in 3 hours from Goa. Belgaum to Bangalore is excellent throughout on NH4. Was able to cover 300 kms from Hubli in 3.5 hours. Stuck to 110-125km/h for a major part of the journey.

I just loved my drive in my Rapid diesel. Gave me a healthy 21.3 km/l average for the onward journey of 682 kms (return yet to be measured, but will be in the 19 km/l whereabouts) and was able to comfortably overtake so many cars with ease. The turbo boost after 1700 rpm is so addictive!! Drive beyond 130 km/h became a bit uncomfortable, but this was because of the road conditions.

I reached 160km/h at one point for a few seconds and saw a village moron on a moped trying to cross the road first, but instead deciding to come in my direction. With a tempo on my left trying to come into my lane and the moron on the right, I had to brake hard and could feel ABS kick in twice. Was able to reduce the speed with considerable distance to spare, but I decided against going above 125km/h after that, which was a good decision in hindsight!

Our roads are not meant for high speeds as there are too many fools who don’t know road rules. I would recommend going and coming back by the Hubli-Ankola-Karwar route, irrespective of the Goa destination.
hrman is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 11:53   #2051
Senior - BHPian

Came back from Goa after a week's vacation.

Bangalore-Goa:
Started on last saturday (20th October) at around 10AM from HSR layout and decided to take the shimoga-sagar route. Reached shimoga by 4PM with almost 1 hour of breaks at Tiptur for lunch and Tumkur for snaks. I made overnight stay at Shimoga (Hotel Jewel Rock) due to my little daughter. Hotel food was not so good, just manageable. Roads from Bangalore to Shimoga are great, could easily cruize at 80-90KMPH. Started for Goa on Sunday morning and found the roads in same condition for some distance after Sagar. Then for a few kilometers the roads are not great with some potholes and damaged surface. Again as I neared to Jog falls they became great. Further some sections of ghat roads are badly broken, also being a single lane road if you are behind a big vehicle, you need to have only patience as nothing else works there. Fortunately I was behind a private bus which was maintaining a good speed on the ghats.
Roads between Honavar and Ankola are badly broken at multiple places, but you can still maintain 80KMPH average, looks like the roads are not maintained for last 5-6 years and getting damaged very badly each day. Roads from Ankola till Quepem (my destination in south Goa) are great.

Goa-Bangalore:
I took the Ankola-Hubli road and visited Sonda/Sirsi en route. Roads are all great. Only problem on this road is people tempt to overtake next vehicle without checking the other side vehicle. I missed an inova by inches as that guy overtook a truck on a blind turn and came just in front of me all of a sudden. I had no choice but to pull my poor estilo off the road where the front left type hit a stone lying just outside the tar. I had similar accident once and that had caused the bushing and bearing for that tyre to be repalced. I feared the same but fortunately nothing happened. Came back to Hubli from Sirsi and then stayed at Davangere (Hotel Pooja International) for the night. Reached Bangalore on Saturday. Overall 1750KMs of travel including a lot of local travel in Goa.

Bangalore-Shimoga-Honavar-Goa route is bit rough but completely doable. Ankola-Hubli route is amazingly good.

Thanks to BHPians for providing all information needed.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 29th October 2012 at 11:56.
Old 30th October 2012, 20:19   #2052
BHPian

Just came back from Goa after a week-long stay. We spent first 5 days at Candolim and then 2 days at Palolem.

Like Deepak Mishra, I also took dreamdiesel's advice to take the Belguam Amboli route to enter North Goa directly.

I hit the same problem in Belguam as Deepak - first Google showed us the wrong way, then people who we asked for directions told us the other route - wasted a good 45 minutes to get on to the Sawantwadi road. I think if you are going to enter Belguam city - you are going to spend 20-25 minutes minimum to get out of the city.

The road from Amboli to Danoli at the base of the ghats is not great at all - and you can't really drive fast. The road from Danoli to Banda does not exist - it's really only suitable for a 4x4. We were driving in two cars - my safari and my BIL's Indica - he really struggled on that road.

I do not recommend this route for going to Goa. It took us more than 12 hours to reach - of course two cars and coordination meant more time in breaks, etc - but my point is - the drive is just too tiring and roads just not good.

On the return we took the Palolem - Ankola - Hubli route. For those who worry about the traffic around Panjim to go from North to South or vice-versa - I use a relatively low traffic route that goes left from Candolim via Verem and Nerul and comes out just at the Panaji bridge - take the left bridge and you are straight away on your way to South Goa minus the traffic. Same thing for the reverse direction - just take a sharp right at the circle just after the Panjim bridge.

The road all the way from Panjim - Palolem - Ankola - Yellapur - Hubli is great and I would say more or less with no potholes - just some rough road here and there.

If ride quality, hassle-free driving and good roads is your criteria for the drive to Goa - I highly recommend this route.

At Yellapur, there is Hotel Shanbhag on the left just as you enter Yellapur when returning from Goa - it's ideal for a lunch-stop with decent meals and south-Indian snacks.
Old 30th October 2012, 21:19   #2053
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak_misra View Post
Took a wrong turn after Belgaum and went through SH 130 (turned left early) instead of the Sawantwadi route. This was on account of listening blindly to Google navigation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_saraf View Post
I hit the same problem in Belguam as Deepak - first Google showed us the wrong way, then people who we asked for directions told us the other route - wasted a good 45 minutes to get on to the Sawantwadi road.

The easiest way to Bypass Belgaum I think would be to take the Bauxite Road.
Go past the city along the the NH4 and the turn back via the Bauxite road which extends to the Sawantwadi road.

Here is the route link

Off course this wont help decide between Sawantwadi road and SH130 ! SH130 is the SH via Tilari ghats which also house the Tilari reservoir. Its very scenic indeed

So just to summarise, following are the entry routes to Goa: (from Bangalore side)

- Via Amboli ghats (deviate from NH4 at Belgaum)
- Via Chorla ghats (deviate from NH4 at Khanapur)
- Via Tilari ghats (deviate from NH4 at Belgaum)
- Via Londa/Ramnagar (deviate from NH4 at Dharwad)
- Via Karwar/Ankola ( Deviate from NH4 at Hubli and take NH63)

Last edited by ampere : 30th October 2012 at 21:32.
Old 31st October 2012, 16:11   #2054
BHPian

Has anyone taken the Dharwad-Nagalaavi(SH 34)-Dandeli-Ponda-Panjim route? If yes, what's the condition of the road after Dharwad?
We are leaving tonight in a Punto and a DZire and plan to reach there between 7 and 8 morro morning. A quick answer would be much appreciated!!
Old 5th November 2012, 16:00   #2055
Distinguished - BHPian

I along with 2 of my friends are planning to do the Bangalore-Goa trip in 1 day on 2 bikes. We will be starting at 3-4 am on 10th Nov riding all the way to Panjim and return on 13th Nov. Can anyone suggest the best possible route for us considering less distance and good road conditions which we can cover in the whole day and reach by 6 pm? Also some decent cheap accomodation option suggestions in Panjim would be very helpful for me.

Most Viewed