Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2012, 16:43   #2056
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I along with 2 of my friends are planning to do the Bangalore-Goa trip in 1 day on 2 bikes. We will be starting at 3-4 am on 10th Nov riding all the way to Panjim and return on 13th Nov. Can anyone suggest the best possible route for us considering less distance and good road conditions which we can cover in the whole day and reach by 6 pm? Also some decent cheap accomodation option suggestions in Panjim would be very helpful for me.
NH4-NH63-NH17 (BLR-Hubli-Yellapur-Karwar-Madgaon-Panjim).Budget for 12-14hrs on a bike.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2012, 14:27   #2057
BHPian

One of my friend is going to Goa on Nov 9th. He has a following questions, request your answers:

"I would like to see Castle Rock/ Dudhsagar falls while returning from Goa (Candolim) to Bangalore. Can you please tell me the route and time taken. Is it possible to come back Banglaore on the same day if I start from Candolim at 8:00 AM. And how is the road condition ?"
Old 6th November 2012, 14:38   #2058
BHPian

We drove to goa last weekend and took the Bangalore-hubli-dharwad-nagalaavi-ramnagar-ponda-panjim route. The road between dharwad and ramnagar is a bit bad in patches. Otherwise it's a good road on which you can consistently maintain speeds between 100-120.
I suggest this route only if you want to hit central/north goa directly.
Old 6th November 2012, 14:58   #2059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
NH4-NH63-NH17 (BLR-Hubli-Yellapur-Karwar-Madgaon-Panjim).Budget for 12-14hrs on a bike.
I along with 6 others rode from Bangalore to Calangute in 2008. Including 6 hours of sleep, it took us 26 hours. All 6 of us were seriously exhausted by the time we had reached Hubli and decided to rest for a few hours before we resumed our journey.
Old 6th November 2012, 15:12   #2060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
I along with 6 others rode from Bangalore to Calangute in 2008. Including 6 hours of sleep, it took us 26 hours. All 6 of us were seriously exhausted by the time we had reached Hubli and decided to rest for a few hours before we resumed our journey.
Quite slow progress I guess at an average of approximately 35kmph for your ride for a distance of 700kms taking you 20hours.
Old 6th November 2012, 15:26   #2061
BHPian

Quote:
Quite slow progress I guess at an average of approximately 35kmph for your ride for a distance of 700kms taking you 20hours.
True. We took our time. We weren't in a hurry, especially since most of the journey was done during the night. We stopped for 10 mins every hour to get refreshments and mostly to rest our hurting spines. We started at 7 PM on Dec 25th and reached in time for dinner. We weren't prepared for the cold and couldn't do more than 60 kmph speeds on the NH. We ended up using plastic bags as gloves.

Last edited by vinu_h : 6th November 2012 at 15:30.
vinu_h is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2012, 17:23   #2062
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
One of my friend is going to Goa on Nov 9th. He has a following questions, request your answers:

"I would like to see Castle Rock/ Dudhsagar falls while returning from Goa (Candolim) to Bangalore. Can you please tell me the route and time taken. Is it possible to come back Banglaore on the same day if I start from Candolim at 8:00 AM. And how is the road condition ?"
if you take the forest road parallel to and right next to the railway track from Kulem station, you can hit Dudhsagar, but it will mean you have to stay overnight maybe head down further to castle rock for overnight stay. The road takes time to negotiate.

--R

Last edited by Ragul : 6th November 2012 at 17:24.
Old 6th November 2012, 19:27   #2063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Wouldnt reccomend doing Dudhsagar enroute to Bangalore,its a very time consuming affair.
Old 6th November 2012, 20:02   #2064
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
if you take the forest road parallel to and right next to the railway track from Kulem station, you can hit Dudhsagar,
but it will mean you have to stay overnight maybe head down further to castle rock for overnight stay. The road takes time to negotiate.
Quote:

"I would like to see Castle Rock/ Dudhsagar falls while returning from Goa (Candolim) to Bangalore. Can you please tell me the route and time taken.
Is it possible to come back Banglaore on the same day if I start from Candolim at 8:00 AM. And how is the road condition ?"
Quote:
Wouldnt reccomend doing Dudhsagar enroute to Bangalore,its a very time consuming affair.
+1 to Ranjith. Spare an extra day. Finish Dudhsagar trek and may be drive to Dharwad/Hubli for a break. Drive home to Bangalore the next day.

Last edited by ampere : 6th November 2012 at 20:04.
Old 6th November 2012, 21:43   #2065
BHPian

Back from an awesome Goa trip.

Bangalore to Goa - - Took the following route:Bangalore - Chitradurga- Davangere- Haveri- Hubli- Ankola- Karwar- Madgaon- Panjim

Total distance - 727 Km (up till the hotel in Anjuna where we were putting up)

We left Bangalore on 31st Oct at around 9 pm. It was one of the most stressful driving conditions I have ever encountered. It kept raining heavily the whole night reducing the visibility to next to zero at times. For the first 450 odd km, it was just torrential downpour. Only when we neared Yellapur did the rain stop. Anyway reached Panjim at around 11:30 am. The road condition on the Hubli- Ankola- karwar stretch is very good with few rough patches here and there. But one needs to be extremely careful because of the countless cows on the stretch. It becomes extremely frustrating at times.

Goa - Bangalore - Took the same route back. Since we stayed at Palolem on our last day, the distance got reduced by 100 km. We left Palolem at 9 am on 5th Nov and reached Neelamangla at 6:15 pm. But we somehow managed to miss the turn to the Nice road and instead took the route via Hebbal, KR Puram till Sarjapur Road. Had to pay for this mistake dearly. It took almost 3 hrs to reach home . It was sort of a rude awakening to the fact "Welcome to Bangalore"

Total Distance - 620 Km

I would highly recommend this route if you are planning to stay in South Goa. But if your stay is in North Goa ( Baga, Calangute, Morjim, Manderem and the likes), your travel time will increase by at least 1.5 hrs.

Last edited by champ27 : 6th November 2012 at 21:45.
Old 6th November 2012, 21:51   #2066
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ27 View Post
But we somehow managed to miss the turn to the Nice road and instead took the route via Hebbal, KR Puram till Sarjapur Road. Had to pay for this mistake dearly. It took almost 3 hrs to reach home . It was sort of a rude awakening to the fact "Welcome to Bangalore"
Lesson Learnt:

Even if you miss the NICE road turning, its never too late to take a U and come back. Because you still gain time.
If you have to goto Sarjapur road, then even more so.
Old 6th November 2012, 22:11   #2067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Lesson Learnt:

Even if you miss the NICE road turning, its never too late to take a U and come back. Because you still gain time.
If you have to goto Sarjapur road, then even more so.
Yes, I totally agree with you. Just that the U turn was roughly 3-4 km ahead of the Nice road turn, so to and fro would have made it around 10kms. But now I learnt the hard way that those extra 10kms would have saved and hour or so in the end. Bad decision on my part.
Old 7th November 2012, 11:45   #2068
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

I need to go to north Goa during the month end. Reading through many postings I found the Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi road to be the ideal one. Please let me know some landmarks from the point I will enter into Belgaum from NH-4. I have never been to Belgaum and don't want to get lost in city traffic rules including one way traffic and speed limits.

While returning I am planning to take NH-4A till Ramnagar from Panjim-Ponda and then goto Dharwad via Alnawar route (I heard it is newly laid).

Please provide the details.
Old 7th November 2012, 12:30   #2069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
I need to go to north Goa during the month end. Reading through many postings I found the Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi road to be the ideal one. Please let me know some landmarks from the point I will enter into Belgaum from NH-4.
The best option is to drive past Belgaum town on NH4 and then join the Bauxite road and it takes you straight to Amboli.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...ra=ls&t=m&z=16

Quote:
While returning I am planning to take NH-4A till Ramnagar from Panjim-Ponda and then goto Dharwad via Alnawar route (I heard it is newly laid).

Yes the road has been newly laid,however the NH4A between Londa and Mollem continues to be potholed,so drive slowly.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 18:57   #2070
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I need to go to north Goa during the month end. Reading through many postings I found the Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi road to be the ideal one. Please let me know some landmarks from the point I will enter into Belgaum from NH-4. I have never been to Belgaum and don't want to get lost in city traffic rules including one way traffic and speed limits.

Personally, I would recommend you take the Hubli-Ankola-Karwar route through Yellapur rather than than Amboli route, having driven both those routes October-end.

But if you do go via Amboli - do not take the shortcut from Danoli (just after you descend from Amboli) to Banda - take the regular highway route.
anand_saraf is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed