Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2012, 09:00   #2071
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_saraf View Post
Personally, I would recommend you take the Hubli-Ankola-Karwar route through Yellapur rather than than Amboli route, having driven both those routes October-end.

But if you do go via Amboli - do not take the shortcut from Danoli (just after you descend from Amboli) to Banda - take the regular highway route.
I have a very tight time schedule. Hubli Ankola route will add for distance and then for the slower NH-17 through Goa.

As you said I will remain on the highway after Amboli but is there a chance to miss the highway and enter into some side route?

I will be traveling in Estilo so absolute NO to bad roads...
Old 8th November 2012, 09:43   #2072
BHPian

I need to do a Goa trip next month.

I decided on the Bangalore > Hubli > Ankola > Karwar > Margao route.

If you look on google maps there is a by-pass road just before hitting Hubli which directly connects to the Hubli > Ankola highway. Looks like considerable saving in the distance.

Would like to know the condition of this short bypass road in case anyone has taken this road ?

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...rce=gplus-ogsb
Old 8th November 2012, 10:30   #2073
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
I need to do a Goa trip next month.

I decided on the Bangalore > Hubli > Ankola > Karwar > Margao route.

If you look on google maps there is a by-pass road just before hitting Hubli which directly connects to the Hubli > Ankola highway. Looks like considerable saving in the distance.
Seems like a good option. Although you save only 20-30km, but I guess the real savings come from the Hubli bypass and the traffic on the Hubli-Kalghatgi section.
Might be a good idea to try, but I dont know the road condition and also not aware of any pointer to the exit point from NH4.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2012, 10:43   #2074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post

Would like to know the condition of this short bypass road in case anyone has taken this road ?
The answer to your question, my earlier post with photos:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2901395

Edited: Oops, Sorry, yours is different route!

Last edited by manim : 8th November 2012 at 10:48.
Old 8th November 2012, 12:42   #2075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving_Nomad View Post
We drove to goa last weekend and took the Bangalore-hubli-dharwad-nagalaavi-ramnagar-ponda-panjim route. The road between dharwad and ramnagar is a bit bad in patches. Otherwise it's a good road on which you can consistently maintain speeds between 100-120.
I suggest this route only if you want to hit central/north goa directly.
How is the route from Ramnagar to Ponda? Did you drive through the Anmod ghat? I read a couple of posts that this section is still not very good.
Old 8th November 2012, 12:48   #2076
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
The answer to your question, my earlier post with photos:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2901395

Edited: Oops, Sorry, yours is different route!
I also initially thought that he was referring to the Bankapur/Mundgod option. When I checked the map it was different.
Since its not a long distance off NH4/NH63 I think this might be useful; but only in case there is less traffic.

Because typically Hubli-Kalghatgi has traffic and hence one loses time try get to the open road beyond. So if that stretch
can be saved by this short deviation, then it would be definitely used.

And off it goes without saying, the stretch should be decent.
Old 8th November 2012, 12:57   #2077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo View Post
How is the route from Ramnagar to Ponda? Did you drive through the Anmod ghat? I read a couple of posts that this section is still not very good.
Ramnagar to Ponda is in an okay condition now. You will encounter a ghat in between (I am not sure of its name). We did Ramnagar-Ponda in 1 hour and 50 mins on the way to goa (as we were driving all night in a heavy downpour). While coming back it took us 1.5 hours.

I would like to reiterate that, "take this route only if you're planning to hit central/north Goa directly."
Old 8th November 2012, 13:00   #2078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ramnagar to Mollem is still patchy and potholed for a section of approximately 20kms or so.Update as of last week
Old 8th November 2012, 13:12   #2079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
I have a very tight time schedule. Hubli Ankola route will add for distance and then for the slower NH-17 through Goa.

As you said I will remain on the highway after Amboli but is there a chance to miss the highway and enter into some side route?

I will be traveling in Estilo so absolute NO to bad roads...
As soon as you descend from Amboli, you will see a left turn with a board saying "Panaji" - this is the Danoli - Banda road - it's a shortcut but very bad roads. Continue straight here instead of taking the left turn.

BTW, as per Google maps - the Amboli route is shorter by 11 kms to the Ankola route to reach Baga - but we didn't end up any faster on the Amboli route because of the road conditions. The roads from Hubli - Yellapur - Ankola and into Goa and then all the way up are almost all in good condition.
Old 8th November 2012, 13:21   #2080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving_Nomad View Post
Ramnagar to Ponda is in an okay condition now. You will encounter a ghat in between (I am not sure of its name). We did Ramnagar-Ponda in 1 hour and 50 mins on the way to goa (as we were driving all night in a heavy downpour). While coming back it took us 1.5 hours.

I would like to reiterate that, "take this route only if you're planning to hit central/north Goa directly."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Ramnagar to Mollem is still patchy and potholed for a section of approximately 20kms or so.Update as of last week
thanks ranjitp1, driving_nomad.

I am headed to N Goa. looks like will have to take Hubli-Karwar route.

I like the Belgaum route, but read that the road from Belgaum to Ambolim is not too good.
Old 8th November 2012, 13:27   #2081
BHPian

I would suggest,

Bangalore - Hubli - Dharwar - Alvnawar (Cross - No need to enter Alnawar) - Ramnagr - Ponda - Panjim

I did this route last week (Nov 1 - Nov 4). Patches on Dharwar - Goa boarder are broken, which can be ignored considering that there is a fresh tarmac laid. Dharwar to Ponda can be easily done in 3 hrs.
deepakchiniwal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2012, 16:11   #2082
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
I did this route last week (Nov 1 - Nov 4). Patches on Dharwar - Goa boarder are broken, which can be ignored considering that there is a fresh tarmac laid. Dharwar to Ponda can be easily done in 3 hrs.
This is a good confirmation more so for the Alnavar section. It was in tatters last year before monsoon. So looks like some good work has happened.

This throws up one more option and that too a much faster one.
Hubli-Ankola-Panjim would be much longer.
Old 8th November 2012, 22:50   #2083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Hi asdon, I suggest you have early lunch at Panduranga International just 1 km before Kumta, on your right hand side. Honnavar hotels are bad especially the ones next to nh17.

Hi RGP, Avoid Jog-Kargal-bhatkal route since recently bridge collapse made this route is cut and heavy rain is always problem in this route otherwise it nice forest route.
JOG - Honnavar - Murdeshwar is always better route you can enjoy scenary and sharavati valley view if you are lucky.

No rains in that area since 3 days so expect dry JOG falls and 1 week heavy rain will make Linganamakki reservoir full!! It is expected in few weeks I hope.

Good VEG hotels as per my experience: Jewel Rock in Shimoga is good one, in sagar hotel next to lake and hotel next to 4 road joining circle is ok, Panduranga International at Kumta for stay and food, Sapna Hotel in Ankola off100mtrs from nh17, Panchavati in Sirsi. There are few more good ones which I need to try.

Non VEG: Amrut Restaurant @ KARWAR for non VEG (as per my friend)

Someone can try http://www.bakulahomestay.com/ near Sirsi and yatri nivas for stay.

Ravi.
Hello Ravi,

Am driving to Jog in a couple of days, and want to try the JOG-KARGAL-BHATKAL route . Any recent update on this route (since your post is more than a year old ) ?

Thanks .
Old 9th November 2012, 10:29   #2084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This throws up one more option and that too a much faster one.
Hubli-Ankola-Panjim would be much longer.
Ampere, do you know the exact route this way? I looked at google maps but am a bit confused.

If this is a shorted route than I would like to give a try as I am kinda of tight on schedule to reach. I don't want to take a chance without proper plan on this route else I end up taking same time as the Karwar or the Belgaum route!

thanks
Old 9th November 2012, 10:43   #2085
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ampere, do you know the exact route this way? I looked at google maps but am a bit confused.

If this is a shorted route than I would like to give a try as I am kinda of tight on schedule to reach. I don't want to take a chance without proper plan on this route else I end up taking same time as the Karwar or the Belgaum route!

thanks

Compared to the Ankola route you definitely save 100km. But you see more ghats on this route and twists.
Now how to get on this route ?

- After Hubli drive to Dharwad on the 4 lane.
- Take the Dharward bypass. On the bypass you should see an exit for Alnavar (SH34)
- Take this SH and at Alnavar, ask for Ramnagar.
- At Ramngar you will join NH4A and from there its the standard route to Panaji via Mulem/Ponda.

Here is the route link

Last edited by ampere : 9th November 2012 at 10:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks