Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2013, 20:50   #2131
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
Hi All,

I will be driving to Goa this friday with the wife and kid. I am planning to leave around 4pm on friday afternoon and need some help with a night stop en-route.

The plan is to drive till about 8.30 or 9pm and then stop for dinner and sleep. We will leave from the night stop around 6 or 7am on sat morning and continue onto Goa. Target is Benaulim, South Goa.

Advice on route and a night stop please.

Thanks,
Manas
I suggest you take a short cut from Bankapur (left from the highway), go past Mundgod and join at Yellapur, it is the same highway towards Karwar. Going all the way to Hubli will be long, I have tried this route and the road is fair if you keep your speeds below 70kms/hr, its a single road going through dense Jungle, it will be fun. In this case you need to halt at Haveri, I guess there are some good options there including Kamat.
zulfi hansi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 21:21   #2132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
I suggest you take a short cut from Bankapur (left from the highway), go past Mundgod and join at Yellapur, it is the same highway towards Karwar. Going all the way to Hubli will be long, I have tried this route and the road is fair if you keep your speeds below 70kms/hr, its a single road going through dense Jungle, it will be fun. In this case you need to halt at Haveri, I guess there are some good options there including Kamat.
Zulfi,

Thanks a bunch for the suggestion. Showed your suggestion to the wife, and she was quite happy. Looks like we will be halting at Haveri and going through Bankapur. Thats why I love tbhp!
Old 24th January 2013, 09:29   #2133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi zulfi, did you take this shortcut recently ? are there any petrol bunks, stops/restaurants on the way ? and most importantly does it save significant amount of time?
Old 24th January 2013, 14:26   #2134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroXidE View Post
I've been through this route too. However, its a pretty long route considering driving from BLR. The Yellapur - Ankola road is a pretty fast route, even compared to Amboli - Savantwadi route. Some stretches are triple digit friendly. Also, NH17 is pretty awesome from Ankola northwards into Goa road quality wise, even if it means entering Goa from South Goa and going all the way north.

Yes The routes through Londa are the most adventurous of the lot. Especially the one via Anshi, Kaiga to NH17 and NH4A to Panaji.
From My home in CV Raman Nagar to Vasco is 684 Km via hubli Karwar, while it is 705 via Belgaum Sawantwadi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its good no doubt. Only issue is at what point in the day you enter south Goa. Day time has high traffic and hence crossing south to North Goa can take time.

Where as, going via Amboli, you don't encounter city traffic.
Exactly, Madgaon, Panjim and Mapusa can get very crowded in the evenings with narrow roads and no bye pass. So actually depends on where you are heading to in Goa.
Old 24th January 2013, 14:58   #2135
BHPian

Quote:
We drove down couple of months back, route was really good except for some narrow sections once you pass bankapur. Started around 3PM from BLR, and halted for the night at Karwar. BLR-Karwar can easily be done in 6.5 - 7 Hours driving time.

Below is the GPS track of my drive (Karwar-BLR) which gives exact route details.

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/work...m4o7nugssc990h

Last edited by xotiq : 24th January 2013 at 15:04.
xotiq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 15:36   #2136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
Zulfi,

Thanks a bunch for the suggestion. Showed your suggestion to the wife, and she was quite happy. Looks like we will be halting at Haveri and going through Bankapur. Thats why I love tbhp!
Glad I could help, but make sure you do not travel on that road after dark, could be possible some forest Dept. restrictions. Otherwise nothing to worry. BTW if you have time do not forget to visit the Tibetan camp, temples and all at Mundgod. Carry some food, its not good, so have breakfast and leave, lunch should be at your destination. Have a nice trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
Hi zulfi, did you take this shortcut recently ? are there any petrol bunks, stops/restaurants on the way ? and most importantly does it save significant amount of time?
I did that run in Feb 2012, no petrol bunks / ATMs etc., its a jungle stretch, its not that long too, 70kms, might be hardly 1.5 - 2 hrs between Bankapur and Yellapur. The drive is enjoyable, jungle all around, single road, no big wild animals though. It does save time and fuel, no trucks on this road, hardly any traffic for that matter, you drive slower about 50-70kms/hr ideally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
We drove down couple of months back, route was really good except for some narrow sections once you pass bankapur. Started around 3PM from BLR, and halted for the night at Karwar. BLR-Karwar can easily be done in 6.5 - 7 Hours driving time.
Spot on!
Old 28th January 2013, 12:27   #2137

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
Obviously via Mangalore is out so I have three choices
  1. Bang-Hubli-Ankola-Goa. I was planning this till a friend said that the Chitradurga Hubli stretch is still not done and the Hubli - Ankola is not good
  2. Bang-Tumkur-Shimoga-Jog-Honnavar-Goa is what he suggested
  3. Bangalore – Tumkur – Sira – Chitradurga – Davangere – Ranibennur – Haveri – Sirsi – Mirjan – Ankola – Karwar – Canacona – Palolem Beach - Madgaon – Panaji is what I read here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/21721-travelogue-bangalore-goa.html

but that is a pre-monsoon report.

Any ideas on which might me the best route? Distance a bit more is fine as long as the roads are good.
Hi Deepak,

My last drive to Goa was the first week of October and as I posted it was Bangalore - Bankapur - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - Goa.

We drive a scorpio, and our drive time ex Bangalore (0400) to Karwar (1100-1130) is 7-7.5 hours and we are at Zeebop always for lunch pre 1300.

The only drag on the route is the roadworks Tumkur-Chitradurga but as one crosses Chitradurga outward at 0630 it is not an issue, but inwards Chitradurga - bangalore can extend to 4 hours.

Have a good trip !
Arjun
Old 21st February 2013, 19:49   #2138
BHPian

Traveled to Goa on Feb 14th from Bangalore.. As mentioned in the previous post by zulfi took deviation at Bankapur (Small left road after Toll). The road condition is ok enough to drive on with occasional slow downs for Tractors filled with hay, animals crossing roads.. Some stretches are nice though and average speed for the stretch can drop to 40-50Km/hr and is worth saving distance.

Left Bangalore at 5 AM and was at Karwar around 12:30 PM and reached South Goa by 1:30 PM.. Returned back on 17th following same route..

On our way to GOA stopped at Kamat near Davangere for breakfast .. Food was average, Toilets disgusting, price high.

Way back stopped at Kamat near Ranebennur for Dinner. Food was good, slow service, toilets average...

Last edited by Kiyon : 21st February 2013 at 19:50.
Old 11th March 2013, 23:48   #2139
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Planning for a trip to panaji, Goa.

Planning to drive Bangalore-Hubli-Darwad->Alnavar(bypass) -> Ramnagar -> Ponda --> Panjim.

Looking for information on road condition Between Darwad->Alnavar(bypass) -> Ramnagar -> Ponda --> Panjim on SH34.

manju
Old 13th March 2013, 15:52   #2140
BHPian

Heading for Goa (from Bangalore) early morning tomorrow. Will take the BLR - Hubli - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - Goa route. Tempted to try the Bankapur - Yellapur short cut though, but unsure.
Old 13th March 2013, 16:00   #2141
Senior - BHPian

take the bankapur shortcut , unless u have a very very low GC car.It saves a lot of time and virtually no traffic on that stretch .It is quite enjoyable .
ms001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 10:41   #2142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArjunVS View Post
Hello People,

Back from Goa last evening and positing a few travel stats and tips:

Balgalore-Goa:
- Out of Cunningham road at 0420, and reached Rani-Bennur at 0800
- excellent road conditions except for the 3 speed breakers 20+Km out of Chitradurga
- We took the route Bankapur-Mundgod-Yellapur and I would recommend it
- The road surface is excellent safe 5 Hm on the first and 10 km on the second. That too is Ok but uneven due to patch repair.
- It is VERY picturesque due to the forest.
- We were at Zebop at Utorda at about 1340 - so that is 9h 20 min with stop and gas.

Goa-Bangalore
- Out of Dona Paola at 0730, light traffic due to Mayday
- we were at Yellapur at 1045 with a easy drive and excellent roads
- At Bankapur on the highway at 1200
- Tumkur at 1525 but only got to Cunningham road at 1640 - traffic and how.
- This is again just over 9 hours but a far easier drive - speeds 110-130 on highway
- Of note: There is a huge amount of construction on the Tumkur-Chitradurg section due to underpasses/flyovers for cross traffic. Seems there is a new road manager in place and there is also an extra lane being added right through.
- Also: Asked a few cabbies about the Panaji-Dharwad road - and they in unnision said TERRIBLE.

The Dona Paola to Bangalore was 580Km which gave us an average drive speed of 64Kmph.

a couple of restaurant tips:

- Fine dining in Panaji: Cafe Mangii
- Goan in Panaji: Goudinho
- Goan in North: Starlight - great food
- Dona Paola: Sea Pebles, O pescador,
- Vagator: Thalasa (Greek food, amazing view, unbelievable)
- Utorda: Zebop: Has to be the best and most well maintained shack

Enjoy
Arjun

Hi Arjun

I was looking for recommendations on the bankapur-mundgod-yellapur stretch and found your post. I am planning for a bangalore-goa drive in late March and driviing with my wife and 1.5 year old in my i10. Based on some personal factors, I might start from Bangalore either at 5AM or 8AM.

Would you recommend this stretch - considering
1. I will be driving with my wife and kid?
2. I might hit this route a little late in the evening, if I start at 8AM from Bangalore?
3. How much time will I save by bye-passing Hubli via this route?

Thanks in advance.
Old 14th March 2013, 18:19   #2143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post

Thanks in advance.
No major savings in time.I would reccomend sticking to the excellent NH63 route from Hubli.Budget for a 10-11hr drive depending on your speeds
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 11:15   #2144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
Hi Arjun

I was looking for recommendations on the bankapur-mundgod-yellapur stretch and found your post. I am planning for a bangalore-goa drive in late March and driviing with my wife and 1.5 year old in my i10. Based on some personal factors, I might start from Bangalore either at 5AM or 8AM.

Would you recommend this stretch - considering
1. I will be driving with my wife and kid?
2. I might hit this route a little late in the evening, if I start at 8AM from Bangalore?

Thanks in advance.
Dear Naetik30,

I have driven that road many a time, and while there are sections that are excellent, there are some that are trying - especially after the monsoon. last drive was October so a bad time.

Quite honestly - I love that section of the road - because it removes you from the "highway" and gives you a taste of the country. the forest section c,ose to Yellapur is also spectaculat with the Siddi people you see along the way.

If you have a doubt however, go with the safe route, or if you wish to be slightly adventurous, take the alternative. But my suggestion would be any adventure do on your way to Goa and not on the way back.

On driving time - horses for courses. I normally leave at 0400, am at Chitradurga at 0630, and at bankapur a little after 0830. That is ball park 410K in 4.5 hours. Then we slow it down to feel the journey.

As I said, 0400 Cunningham road, 14300 Zeebok in Utorda.

Enjoy - I will be on that road next thursday so will post an update, but if you go ahead, do let us know about the diversions pre Chitradurga.

Regards
Arjun / 98455 39488
ArjunVS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 11:49   #2145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArjunVS View Post
Dear Naetik30,

I have driven that road many a time, and while there are sections that are excellent, there are some that are trying - especially after the monsoon. last drive was October so a bad time.

Quite honestly - I love that section of the road - because it removes you from the "highway" and gives you a taste of the country. the forest section c,ose to Yellapur is also spectaculat with the Siddi people you see along the way.

If you have a doubt however, go with the safe route, or if you wish to be slightly adventurous, take the alternative. But my suggestion would be any adventure do on your way to Goa and not on the way back.

On driving time - horses for courses. I normally leave at 0400, am at Chitradurga at 0630, and at bankapur a little after 0830. That is ball park 410K in 4.5 hours. Then we slow it down to feel the journey.

As I said, 0400 Cunningham road, 14300 Zeebok in Utorda.

Enjoy - I will be on that road next thursday so will post an update, but if you go ahead, do let us know about the diversions pre Chitradurga.

Regards
Arjun / 98455 39488

Thanks a lot Arjun. I will be on starting my journey on Wednesday March 27. Staying in Ginger, Panaji.

I guess, I will take the decision on the diversion when I reach the spot - based on the time.

Will definitely update about the diversions/road condition.

Most Viewed