Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2008, 15:00   #256
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ranjit,

While climbing the ghat best route if you want to save time is Karwar - Baaleguli (near Ankola where you turn left to NH63 ) - yellapur - hubli. Wide road and not much ghat section. So this would save time while driving.

Second best route and most scenic is Karwar - Ankola - Mirjan - Devimane ghat - Sirsi - Siddapur - Talguppa - sagar - shimoga - bangalore.

We can discuss.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 6th September 2008, 12:59   #257
BHPian

Hi Ravi, I am planning for a Goa trip, via Shimoga - Sagar - Honnavar - Karwar, last month I visited Jog falls, so aware of the road till that. My question is how good will be the road from karwar - honnavar - Sagar as not many has suggested this route for a return trip to Bangalore. any idea? is that for the ghat section?
Old 6th September 2008, 19:46   #258
Senior - BHPian

Honnavar to Karwar NH17 is in worst condition with lot of bad stretches everywhere you can see dust. I felt like Bellary autmosphere in NH17.

Today I am back Bangalore.

Last week I took Bangalore - Chitradurga - haveri - Sirsi - Devimane Ghat - Mirjan - Ankola. After Chitradurga few diversions and potholes. but managable. Alternate route is Karwar - Ankola - Mirjan - Devimane ghat - Sirsi - Siddapur - saagr - Jog Falls.

While coming back Ankola - Devimane Ghat - Sirsi - Siddapur - Talguppa - Sagar - Shimoga (Till Shimoga except for 5km road is excellant) - Tumkur - Bangalore. This route between Shimoga and Tarikere is not good at all. At least 50km bad stretch in this Shimoga highway. I don't recommand Shimoga highway.

I wonder when government show good roads in India ?

So whoever travel towards Sirsi, goa, Karwar take Chitradurga highway.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 6th September 2008 at 19:48.
Old 8th September 2008, 21:43   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
While coming back Ankola - Devimane Ghat - Sirsi - Siddapur - Talguppa - Sagar - Shimoga (Till Shimoga except for 5km road is excellant) - Tumkur - Bangalore. This route between Shimoga and Tarikere is not good at all. At least 50km bad stretch in this Shimoga highway. I don't recommand Shimoga highway.

I wonder when government show good roads in India ?

So whoever travel towards Sirsi, goa, Karwar take Chitradurga highway.

Regards,

Ravi.
Hi Ravi,

If one has to still take Shimoga route then there is one more route that I know and I am sure most of you people may be knowing. This route would be: Bangalore - Chitradurga - Harihar and at the Harihar bypass-city road junction take left that goes to Shimoga via Honnalli. I am not sure what is the current condition of this stretch and as far as I remember this route has a small ghat section as well and after the ghat the drive is a scenic enroute Honnalli. All NWRTC express buses from Hubli to Shimoga (or those coming through Hubli) will take right diversion at Harihar and take this Honnalli route and this happens to be the main route for all the buses from Hubli and because of this reason the roads may be well maintained but as I said I am not sure about the current condition.
Now coming from Bangalore side, Blore to Harihar would be 4:15 hrs and from Harihar to Shimoga would be 1:30 hrs (again not sure) and that would be a total of 5:45 or ~ 6hrs. Update me if you have any info on this route, may be this could help someone who wants to enjoy the scenic beauty enroute Shimoga.

Thanks & Regards,
Girish
Old 8th September 2008, 21:57   #260
Senior - BHPian

I have taken the Harihar-Shimoga road several times (optimal route to go to Shimoga while coming from Bombay), and distance is as follows:

Harihar-Malebennur 22 kms-Honnali 17-Shimoga 42, totalling 81 kms.
Takes almost 2 hours.
Road has never been impressive, even in post-rain seasons.
Road is not only narrow but usually has potholes.
No idea about current conditions
Old 8th September 2008, 22:04   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Kumar, when was the last time you did this route ? I have done Harihar -Honnali last year, and road was good.

I am not aware of Honnali - Shimoga, though
Old 8th September 2008, 22:26   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Kumar, when was the last time you did this route ? I have done Harihar -Honnali last year, and road was good.

I am not aware of Honnali - Shimoga, though
My last trip was over a year ago. I first went on that road in 1998 and on and off after that; the road was never inspiring.
Old 9th September 2008, 09:45   #263
Senior - BHPian

Girish you are right about BUSes take that route. I havenot travelled yet in that route. One more route is Chitradurga - Chenngiri - Shimoga (around 100km). I have travelled in this route 5 years back to attend wedding in Shimoga from Bellary and then travelled to Bangalore in the afternoon. I don't know current status of the route.

I suggest If one wants to take shimoga route to go to karwar, Goa and enjoy scenic road, try exploring Bangalore - Chitradurga (200km can cover in 3 hours) - HolalKere - Channagiri - Shimoga(110km in 3 hours or less, don't know about road condition although it looks smooth from Chitradurga and Shimoga end). This is right road to reach Shimoga who come from Chitradurga side. I feel Mines lorries might be taking this route.

I remember TBHPian who came from Mumbai/Pune side has taken Harihara - Honnali - Shimoga route last year and he said good road with very less potholes. Over all good road he said. This is the right road who come from Hubli side. I feel Mines lorries might be taking this route too.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 9th September 2008, 10:14   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I suggest If one wants to take shimoga route to go to karwar, Goa and enjoy scenic road, try exploring Bangalore - Chitradurga (200km can cover in 3 hours) - HolalKere - Channagiri - Shimoga(110km in 3 hours or less, don't know about road condition although it looks smooth from Chitradurga and Shimoga end). This is right road to reach Shimoga who come from Chitradurga side. I feel Mines lorries might be taking this route.

I remember TBHPian who came from Mumbai/Pune side has taken Harihara - Honnali - Shimoga route last year and he said good road with very less potholes. Over all good road he said. This is the right road who come from Hubli side. I feel Mines lorries might be taking this route too.

Regards,

Ravi.

I have been on NH13 from Chitradurga to Shimoga a couple of years ago, and the road had pot-holes at many places, although you can maintain good speeds. Road is quite lonely.

Distance particulars are as follows:

Chitradurga (NH4 junction)-Hollalkere 30 kms-Chennagiri 32-Shimoga 45, totalling 107 kms. I took 1 hr 40 mts on his route to reach Bhadravathi.

At Chennagiri, you can turn left and go direct to Bhadravathi, 35 kms.

Happily, mining lorries do not take the Harihar-Shimoga route!
Old 9th September 2008, 17:40   #265
BHPian

Bangalore-Goa

I took the road to Goa through Hubli and Karwar. The road was in good shape. Did the trip in April. Started from Bangalore at 7:00 pm, stopped in Hubli for the night and left the next morning from Hubli through Karwar to Goa.
Old 16th September 2008, 15:29   #266

Anyone travelled Blr - Goa recently

Hi - I am planning a road trip to Goa on the 4th Oct - planning to leave Bangalore around 4 AM - with wife and 2 kids 5yrs and 2.5 yr olds.

I would appreciate of someone can help me plan the route - I have seen many posts here and all of them talk about different routes - however if someone has done this trip recently can best guide as to which route to take -

I have a santro XL that I am taking with me.

Regards, Saurabh
Old 16th September 2008, 20:03   #267
Senior - BHPian

I suggest take Bangalore - tumkur - Chitradurga - Hubli - Ankola - Karwar - Goa. Expect 50km bad roads but easily managable in Santro too.

While coming back take Goa - Sawantwadi - Amboli - Belgaum - Hubli - Chitradurga - Tumkur - Bangalore. Expect 50km bad road in this too but easily managable in Santro.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 16th September 2008, 20:57   #268
BHPian

Quote:
I suggest take Bangalore - tumkur - Chitradurga - Hubli - Ankola - Karwar - Goa. Expect 50km bad roads but easily managable in Santro too.

While coming back take Goa - Sawantwadi - Amboli - Belgaum - Hubli - Chitradurga - Tumkur - Bangalore. Expect 50km bad road in this too but easily managable in Santro.

Regards,

Ravi.
This route is the best as if now and you can take the same karwar-hubli route on your return journey also. Just avoid the Karwar - Hubli Stretch in the night between 10 PM and 6 AM as the manganese trucks take over the road and it can be dangerous.

Have a safe trip.
Old 18th September 2008, 09:35   #269

Ram

Hi,

I am planning to drive down to Goa on the Oct 3 with my wife and son in my Wagon R. I have seen a number of updates posted on this forum and am fairly clear about the route to choose from Bangalore to Goa. As for the return route, I am planning to go to Gokarna and then to Bhadravati nr Shimoga. I would appreciate if anyone could help with the road updates on the route after Gokarna upto Honnavar / Shimoga.

Ram
Old 22nd September 2008, 16:56   #270

Quote:

Regards,

Ravi.
Thanks Ravi - I am still not sure about Hubli - Karwar route - I hear the road from Hubli to KArwar via Ankola is not good - as the road condition is very pathetic. Do you think driving to Belgaum is better then detour towards Goa. Pls suggest

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks