Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2014, 11:59   #2851
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

^^ Second Parag's point.

Though compared to Mapusa route traffic was bit higher on Old Goa route felt it was faster since the roads are wider and traffic was fast moving.

For Calangute my pick would be this route

As Parag mentioned there are two routes which you can follow to reach towards Panjim from Old Goa side.

One is the NH 4A bye pass, displayed as 748 on Google Maps and other is 4A which is mentioned in the link above. I have selected 4A since the section which pass through river side and along churches are picturesque.
Old 22nd November 2014, 14:45   #2852
BHPian

Hi guys,
I may travel to goa tonight/ tomorrow morning and my tentative stay is at vagator. Wanted to know the ideal route stop overs and timings for the same. I did blr candolim stretch via Charla in April and after entering goa border it took me 2 hrs + to reach candolim.

Thanks in advance
Old 23rd November 2014, 20:25   #2853
BHPian

Planning to go to Goa and Hampi/Hospet during Christmas break (Dec 26 - Dec 29) with my wife and son. On 26 and 27, I have planned Hampi and Hospet and the other two days at Goa. I will be traveling till Chitradurga and take towards Kudligi (SH13) to reach Hampi. I plan to travel via Gadag, Dharwad and Alnavar to reach Goa.

Which are the recommended hotels (preferably with Vegetarian restaurant) in both the places?
Old 23rd November 2014, 21:24   #2854
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I would suggest you all avoid the Old Goa road at all coasts as the Exposition of St. Francis Xavier started yesterday and there are a lot of diversions in place plus very heavy traffic. The newspapers reported about 12,000 people visited the shrine yesterday so you get an idea. Use the Chorla to Mapuca route instead.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2014, 23:00   #2855
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
the Exposition of St. Francis Xavier started yesterday and there are a lot of diversions in place plus very heavy traffic.
S
Will there be traffic snarls /deviations due to the function on NH 4A byepass also ?
Old 24th November 2014, 09:08   #2856
BHPian

Hi mpkSuhas,

I can't say for sure but basically Old Goa (NH4A) is closed off and all traffic (except for shuttle buses) will be using the NH4A - the by pass.
Also, please note that the IFFI (Film Festival) is also on in Panjim which will not help matters. In fact, this led to a major traffic jam yesterday evening.
You'll have to take the final call.
If it was me I would come via Chorla to Mapuca and then onto Calangute. Mapuca to Calangute is barely 20 minutes.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 12:18   #2857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Did Bangalore - Candolim - Bangalore with a one week stay in Candolim last week.
Google Map link.

Hi,

I am planning to go to Goa from Bangalore to Candolim via Belgam.

Can you please send me a Google map link of the route for reference? With NH4A being blocked for the exposition, it would be better to go via this route.

Last edited by aah78 : 24th November 2014 at 19:56. Reason: Post edited for grammar & spell-check. Please quote only relevant portions of posts. Thanks!
Old 25th November 2014, 17:56   #2858
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
I am planning to go to Goa from Bangalore to Candolim via Belgam.
Hi Ranga,

This is the route I took.

Few points -
It took me around 3.5 hours from Belgaum to Candolim.
After crossing Belgaum, check for Jambotti (and NOT Goa / Panaji). Else you may be directed to NH 4A by mistake.
Roads are good through out apart from last few KM's around Candolim / Calangute.
Instead of the route mentioned in the map which we took, it may be easier to proceed further on NH 17 and then take right towards Candolim for last few KMS. It is longer by couple of KM's but roads are much better and wider.
Old 26th November 2014, 00:15   #2859
BHPian

We plan to leave Bangalore on the 30th Nov post lunch and stop over at a hotel for the night mid-way. Our destination is Margao, and its me, wife and my 2 year old daughter. Our ride would be a tata Indica or a Ford Ikon. What route would you guys recommend and also a decent place to stay just for the night?
We had done the Tumkur-Arsikere-Shimogga-Sagar-Honnnavar-Karwar-Colva in 2012 in an Innova with our 3 dogs, but that route is 12hrs journey average.
Old 26th November 2014, 01:13   #2860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
We plan to leave Bangalore on the 30th Nov post lunch and stop over at a hotel for the night mid-way. Our destination is Margao, and its me, wife and my 2 year old daughter. Our ride would be a tata Indica or a Ford Ikon. What route would you guys recommend and also a decent place to stay just for the night?
alstonlobo, the recommended route to reach Margao will be Bangalore--Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Margao. the road is great and the travel time will be about 10 hours (with usual breaks).. you could take a halt at Hubli (400 Kms or about 6-6.5 hours from Bangalore considering that you will be driving on a sunday and also the toll booths and time of the day). Hubli to Margao will be about 200 Kms roughly through yellapur-Kalghatgi-Ankola-Karwar route and will take another 4.5 - 5 hours depending on the time of day you drive.
Hubli is a metropolitan city where you might reach about 8-8.30 PM ( if you start from Bangalore at about 2 PM post lunch) and there are quite a few good hotels. You need not enter Hubli city per-se as the diversion is prior to entering the Hubli city and you could do good to find accommodation prior to the diversion.
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 10:17   #2861
BHPian

Hi Friends,

I am planing for 4 days trip from Banagalore Sarjapur road to Palolem Goa on Dec last week, kindly suggest the best route with good roads, as going to Goa for the first time . And any idea how is Cafe del Mar Palolem and Papillon beach Hut Palolem for Couple.
Old 27th November 2014, 14:50   #2862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
alstonlobo, the recommended route to reach Margao will be Bangalore--Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Margao.
ashkamath thanks for the suggestion.

We will take this route.....
Old 1st December 2014, 19:31   #2863
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am back from my road trip and I did Blr-Hubli-Kalghatgi-Ankola-Karwar-Vagator stretch. I started at 7 AM and was driving pretty slow initially but caught up speed later in the day. I reached my stay at Vagator at 8 PM (approx 700 kms). With this experience I can say that of destination is North Goa one should take Chorla route as there was traffic all through Goa plus its 120 odd kms. However, roads where good though out.

On my return did the trip via Gokarna which is just 25+ kms from Ankola turn. While returning started from Om Beach at 4PM and reached HSR at 2AM. Gokarna interior roads are narrow but easily do-able but recommended for night drive at all as there are very few signages. Again I did slow speeds as it was an evening/night drive.

Regds
Old 1st December 2014, 23:06   #2864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster2 View Post
Hi Friends,

I am planing for 4 days trip from Banagalore Sarjapur road to Palolem Goa on Dec last week, kindly suggest the best route with good roads, as going to Goa for the first time . And any idea how is Cafe del Mar Palolem and Papillon beach Hut Palolem for Couple.
Last week we made a 2 day trip to Palolem. Same route as suggested in the thread Bangalore-Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Palolem. No bad stretches and overall a good drive.

We started at 12.30 AM and were in Palolem at 9AM. 3-4 breaks including dinner. Hubli to Karwar should be covered in day light.
Incidentally we stayed in Cafe Del Mar. Beautiful location, great sea food and good family place.
Room service was a little slow and needed 2-3 reminders. I guess you really wont be spending much time in the hotel room if you are in a place like that.
Old 2nd December 2014, 12:32   #2865
BHPian

Bengaluru- Kumta- Goa- Bengaluru, Which Route?

Hi Folks! Have a trip planned for X'Mas to Goa. The Route to Goa is with a night stop over at Kumta and then heading to Goa (Candolim).Return it is direct drive from Goa( Candolim) to Bengaluru.
Kindly provide me some update on the best route and also some Pit stop options on route. Will be leaving Bengaluru (Hebbal) at 5a.m and also return will be leaving Goa by 6a.m.
*The vehicle planned for this trip is a Eco Sport.

Last edited by Sportsmind : 2nd December 2014 at 12:37.

Most Viewed