Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2015, 09:47   #3076
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
Can you please suggest for lunch options on Bankapur-Karwar route to Goa ?
Hope it's not the Bankapur-Sirsi route ? That's not the standard Bangalore-Karwar route, I guess the road conditions are not great!

You better stick to NH4 for Bangalore-Tumkur-Chitradurga-Davanagere-Hubli. Then get onto NH63 towards Yellapur (left turn towards Yellapur from the bypass at the toll plaza). This will lead you directly to NH17 near Ankola where you turn right and go towards Karwar, excellent roads all the way.

On the way back you can try the alternate route via Honnavara.
That would be Karwar-Ankola-Honnavara-Jog-Sagar-Shimoga-Arsikere-Tumkur (Honnavar-Tumkur on NH206).

*All old Highway numbers, I'm conversant with those compared to the new ones which are confusing!

Last edited by NPV : 19th June 2015 at 09:52.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 10:00   #3077
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Friends, I am overwhelmed with your details on the Bangalore-Goa Route. I have decided to stick to the standard route Bankapur-Karwar-Goa. I have one more question regarding good stoppage points on the way from Bangalore for Breakfast and Lunch on the way. I am contemplating the Neelamangla HP Bunk Kamath for Bfast. Can you please suggest for lunch options on Bankapur-Karwar route to Goa ?
Bankapur-Karwar as in : Bangalore-Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar

- Breakfast : Kamat at Ranebennur (~ 330 km)
- Lunch: Kamat at Ankola

Make sure you start at 4AM to be in Ranebennur Kamat by about 8:30. You can do good average speeds to make it to this place in 4/4.5 hours. A constant cruise at just about three digits is good enough

For Ankola Kamat please note, after you hit NH17 from NH63, instead of turning to Goa, you should turn towards Ankola town. Kamat is about 2km from this point.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 10:41   #3078
Distinguished - BHPian

You have another Kamat (385 kms) on the right hand side with safe median to make a U Turn.

For Lunch you can also hit Shweta Lunch Home at Karwar. Back to Back Kamat may just remind you of your Office Cafeteria
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2015, 19:17   #3079
BHPian

I am Traveling from Pune to Panjim via Chorla Ghat, then onto Karwar.
I would like to return to Pune via Jog falls. What would be the best route
from Karwar to Jog falls in terms of good roads and scenic beauty.
Old 21st June 2015, 22:37   #3080
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhalu View Post
I would like to return to Pune via Jog falls. What would be the best route from Karwar to Jog falls in terms of good roads and scenic beauty.
Karwar to Jog would be NH17 via Ankola to Honnavara. Here you turn left onto NH 206 and go to Jog falls (you have to take a small deviation from the highway to the falls). For your return to Pune, you may need to head back the same way via Karwar.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2015, 22:54   #3081
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhalu View Post
I am Traveling from Pune to Panjim via Chorla Ghat, then onto Karwar.
I would like to return to Pune via Jog falls. What would be the best route
from Karwar to Jog falls in terms of good roads and scenic beauty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
For your return to Pune, you may need to head back the same way via Karwar.
For return, no need to come back to Karwar. You can do:

Jog-Sagar-Sirsi-Yellapur-Hubli bypass-Belgaum-Pune.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 09:33   #3082
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

How are road conditions on the Sagar-Sirsi-Yellapur stretch ? Does this join back the Hubli-Ankola NH 63 (old number!) at Yellapur ?
Old 22nd June 2015, 09:44   #3083
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
How are road conditions on the Sagar-Sirsi-Yellapur stretch ? Does this join back the Hubli-Ankola NH 63 (old number!) at Yellapur ?
The roads are quite good and green!

Here is one log by @NKP

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...lli-falls.html

And yes the Sagar-Sirsi road joins the NH63 at Yellapur.
Old 22nd June 2015, 12:22   #3084
BHPian

Quote:
Bankapur-Karwar as in : Bangalore-Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar
Hello Ampere, I was thinking of Bankapur - Mungod-Gunjavati-Yellapur route via the State Highway. Is it in a bad condition ? I will be driving with 4 adults 2 kids in NHC Zx. Please advice.
Old 22nd June 2015, 12:44   #3085
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello Ampere, I was thinking of Bankapur - Mungod-Gunjavati-Yellapur route via the State Highway. Is it in a bad condition ? I will be driving with 4 adults 2 kids in NHC Zx. Please advice.
No it does not make sense. You don't gain any time. The road is narrow and rough at some places. Even if you go all the way to Hubli, take the bypass, get on to NH63 and drive via the NH to Yellapur, it would take the same time, as you can drive faster. NH63 is also in fantastic condition. You may get slowed down a bit while crossing Hubli, but beyond that its quick.
Old 22nd June 2015, 21:46   #3086
BHPian

Quote:

thanks ampere and NVP shall follow the route Sirsi Siddapur yellapur and
onto NH63 and then NH4 to Pune from Hubli bypass
Old 29th June 2015, 11:59   #3087
BHPian

Going to drive down to Goa this Thursday and coming back on Sunday. Two of us will be going by car - Mitsubishi Lancer; and 2 guys are riding down on their Desert Storms. Few questions:

1. Fastest route?
2. Since we've got two bikers can you suggest good places to stop at around 150-200kms mark?
3. Is 4am a good time to start from Bangalore to reach Utorda, Goa by 2pm?
4. While coming back, there's no time pressure, can you suggest a nice scenic route back to Bangalore?
5. If there are any good roadside eateries do let me know? Actually consider this to be the most important question :P

Thanks in advance.
creative420 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 12:35   #3088
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
1. Fastest route?
Bangalore-Hubli-Ankola-Karwar-Goa (For south Goa)
Bangalore-Hubli-Belgaum-Chorla-Goa (For north Goa)

Quote:
2. Since we've got two bikers can you suggest good places to stop at around 150-200kms mark?
Kamat Ranebennur after 300km
Kamar Sira

Quote:
3. Is 4am a good time to start from Bangalore to reach Utorda, Goa by 2pm?
Ideal time to start. But 10 hours of biking can be fatigue inducing. For cars its Ok.

Quote:
4. While coming back, there's no time pressure, can you suggest a nice scenic route back to Bangalore?
Bangalore-Karwar-Ankola-Honnavar-Jog-Shimoga-Bangalore

Quote:
5. If there are any good roadside eateries do let me know? Actually consider this to be the most important question :P
On the 4-lane its usually Kamat. Katwar town has Amrut for sea food.
On the NH17 again Kamat at Ankola.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 13:23   #3089
Distinguished - BHPian

Adding to what Ampere says and knowing that maximum folks have opted for this route recently, You can as well take the Hubli Bypass - Alnavar - Ramnagar - Mollem route too.

The condition of this road has improved over the last few months and you will have zero qualms about this post return.

The last known good stop to break would be 385 kms away from Bangalore (Kamat before Hubli) and after this you need to spend 2.5 hours before you hit Dudhsagar Resorts & Spa (Just in case you need breaks every 2.5 hours).

Also, NH4A via Mollem would be a biker's delight for the wider than Chorla roads and excellent tarmac soon after hitting the border.

With a 4AM start from anywhere in Bangalore, you will easily make it to your destination by 2pm with all the breaks (at least one breakfast, one refueling & one lunch).

Take it from me, Have done this thrice in the last 1 year alone and without exceeding 110kmph all through and peacefully.

If you want to take Chorla (forgetting the fact that Belgaum has better Stopover options):

Crossing Belgaum city is a time consuming affair and its a fact experienced by many. Earlier there was no good road to reach a point on Chorla route without getting into Belgaum. But now you have!!

Hubli Bypass - Alnavar - Khanapur - Jamboti - Chorla - Goa.

The 15 kms stretch between Khanapur and Jamboti is also done up recently and saves an easy 1 hour for you compared to entering Belgaum and eating there!

Remember - Unless you are too specific about particular hotel, you don't have to take the above routes.

I have done these with wife and my daughter of 5 years only because I have planned my breaks pretty well and never had to bother about anything else.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 14:27   #3090
BHPian

Quote:
No it does not make sense. You don't gain any time. The road is narrow and rough at some places. .
I just completed my visit to Goa and your guidance was of immense value regarding the routes. Two updates from my side.
i) I took the standard Bangalore-Hubli-Yellapur-Karwar-Goa route while going. But the 'itch' to explore something made me take the Yellapur-Mundgod-Bankapur route via SH6. I had a fully loaded NHCZx with low ground clearance. Believe me this route was doable. The road from Yellapur-Mundgod was a narrow road but pothole free and fresh tarmac. Completely doable at around 60-70km/hr. From Mundgod to Bankapur, apart from few bad stretches(nothing treacherous) it was OK to drive. The guys going from Bangalore can take this route. The landmark to take a left is just after the first toll booth after Haveri.
Word of Caution : It's a narrow road, so please be prepared for some maniac bus drivers and local bike stuntmen. . Secondly, you must be prepared to give way for oncoming traffic and move on to road shoulders which sometimes are deep. Just plan it properly.

ii) The ghat section from Idgundy to Yellapur while climbing up has developed some seriously big potholes. Drive carefully while climbing up from Karwar to Yellapur side. One good thing is that Yellapur-Idgundy side of the road (down the slope) is in a good condition.
adi_gt is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks