Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2016, 14:33   #3406
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.k View Post
How safe are the roads from Hubli/Belgaum/Dharwad towards Goa safe at night. Are there enough chai or food joints though the night on NH4?I will be starting this evening from Coimbatore towards Candolim.
Good question and the answer depends on who are you driving with. If all males, then there are no issues - Plenty of Tea Shops and Dhabas that remain open easily till 3AM all over NH4.

If with Family, your last good options are 2 24/7 CCDs - Shiggaon (360 kms) and Opposite to Dharwad High Court (438 Kms). The second one will come handy if you are driving till Belgaum.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 10:39   #3407
BHPian

Dear experts, I am planning for a trip to Goa from Bangalore, sometime in March. Plan to leave early morning 4:30-5 am and for the return journey, start back by 10am from Goa. I would be staying near Calangute beach and hence destination is North Goa. I have gone through the last 12 pages of this thread and I am confused. Hence, posting my queries here:

1. Which would be the best route to take? Google maps shows this:

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-goa-route.jpg

2. What are the restaurants (I'd be with my family - no kids)

3. Need good refueling options please.

Thanks for your help - as always.
Old 18th February 2016, 11:06   #3408
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
1. Which would be the best route to take? Google maps shows this:
For Calangute, I would suggest either of these 2 options:
  1. Bangalore - Hubli - Belgaum - Chorla - Sanquelim - Old Goa - Panaji - Calangute
  2. Bangalore - Hubli Bypass - Alnavar - Khanapur - Jamboti - Chorla - Sanquelim - Old Goa - Panaji - Calangute

The first option will take you through Belgaum City and if you are delayed with the start for any reason, Belgaum City makes sense for an ideal lunch Break at Sankam Residency or Ramdev Hotel or any other.

The Second option simply helps you avoid driving to Belgaum altogether and reach a common point (Jamboti) from where both these options reach Calangute via Chorla.

For North Goa, these are the fastest and easiest options unless you want to deviate and drive through some serene single carriageway roads.
Quote:
2. What are the restaurants (I'd be with my family - no kids)
Plenty all around.

Assuming you start at 5:00AM -
  • Kamat, Just before Ranebennur Bypass (300 Kms)
  • CCD, Shiggaon (360 Kms)
  • Kamat Before Varur (16 kms before Hubli Circle and ~380 kms from Base)
  • CCD Opposite to Dharwad High Court, Attached to HPCL (440 kms from Base)
  • Sankam and Ramdev Hotels (Belgaum, 500 Kms)
  • Wildernest Resorts, Chorla (Just around Chorla Ghats)

Quote:
3. Need good refueling options please.
Refer to this post where I have pointed all of these (Restaurants and Fueling Stations) all along this route with a Googlemaps link.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3828255
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 18:57   #3409

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
  1. Bangalore - Hubli Bypass - Alnavar - Khanapur - Jamboti - Chorla - Sanquelim - Old Goa - Panaji - Calangute
The Second option simply helps you avoid driving to Belgaum altogether and reach a common point (Jamboti) from where both these options reach Calangute via Chorla.
On the return from Calangute for an early morning departure (say 6:30am), via Chorla, Jamboti, Khanapur to (a) MK Hubli or (b) Kittur and then on to NH4/AH47?

Or since early morning go through Goa to Karwar, Ankola, Yellapur, Kalghatgi to Hubli bypass and then to NH4/AH47?

Thanks in advance,
Old 19th February 2016, 19:07   #3410
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Develish View Post
On the return from Calangute for an early morning departure (say 6:30am), via Chorla, Jamboti, Khanapur to (a) MK Hubli or (b) Kittur and then on to NH4/AH47?

Or since early morning go through Goa to Karwar, Ankola, Yellapur, Kalghatgi to Hubli bypass and then to NH4/AH47?

Thanks in advance,
All 3 are fine for a 06 30am start. In fact, you can actually enjoy the Karwar Ankola route since you will start early and won't face much traffic reaching Karwar. So go for the last one if you want to. Its a lovely route anyway.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 09:34   #3411
Distinguished - BHPian

Any decent place to stop near Chitradurga? Driving to Hampi and want to stop near Chitradurga before taking SH 13 as I don't expect to find any on SH 13.
Old 25th February 2016, 09:47   #3412
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Any decent place to stop near Chitradurga? Driving to Hampi and want to stop near Chitradurga before taking SH 13 as I don't expect to find any on SH 13.
Since you will hit NH13 and not really continuing beyond Chitradurga you can't really make it to Mysore Café which is located just at the end of Chitradurga.

So your options are Kamat at Sira, CCD after that, Naveen Regency on the Service Road of Chitradurga bypass.
Old 25th February 2016, 09:50   #3413
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
I think one option is Aishwarya on the service road.
If you don't mind going about 2-3Km inside Chitradurga (we visited the Fort so it was ideal) you can go towards the fort and have breakfast at Lakshmi Bhavan Tiffin Room, it is one of the best local eateries, serve excellent Khali Dosa, idli, vadas
If you go to this place, you will be entering through one of the arches of the outer walls in front of the main fort and then make a right turn towards another arch usually used to exit from the fort (this arch leads to a junction near the bus stand). Just before the exit arch is Lakshmi Bhavan. Another option may be Mysore cafe also nearby.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 10:00   #3414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
So your options are Kamat at Sira, CCD after that, Naveen Regency on the Service Road of Chitradurga bypass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
If you don't mind going about 2-3Km inside Chitradurga
Thanks Parag & NPV. Will take a call depending on time.
Old 26th February 2016, 09:59   #3415
Senior - BHPian

Any improvement in the Mollem, Londa, Alnavar route? A friend riding back from IBW took 8.5 hours to reach Bangalore through this route and reported being able to do 70 kmph on some of the rougher sections.
Old 26th February 2016, 10:56   #3416
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Any improvement in the Mollem, Londa, Alnavar route? A friend riding back from IBW took 8.5 hours to reach Bangalore through this route and reported being able to do 70 kmph on some of the rougher sections.
GD, There were reports that few sections have improved as they got some attention but not entirely sure.

However, read a few posts back, there is a lovely forest route that takes helps you connect between Anmod and Khanapur and avoid the Ramnagar-Anmod part which is reported to be bad.

Few Bhpians have also taken this route recently.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/An...6952!3e0?hl=en

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-anmod_alnavar.jpg
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 19:11   #3417
Senior - BHPian

Hi Parag,

Appreciate your help.

I heard the new route from Alnawar to Anmod is closed between 6PM to 6AM since it is a forest route and it is a reserved forest. Anyways if the Alnawar Ramnagar Anmod route is driveable it will be my first choice since I may hit this patch in the evening and do not want to get lost in jungle if the route is closed . It will be great if anybody can share more information on the older route Alnawar-Ramnagar-Anmod.

Regards,
Old 1st March 2016, 15:09   #3418
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
It will be great if anybody can share more information on the older route Alnawar-Ramnagar-Anmod.
In reality, this section which has been bad is not really terrible and at times it also depends on what car you are driving (precisely the ground clearance). This is mainly to pass those potholes which are indeed huge.

Last I drove was during the last week of September and this was through the night. I turned left from Hubli bypass at 3-00AM and hence I would have passed the ghats/bad patches between 03:30 and 0430AM.

Traffic is thin but not deserted as there are a lot of KaSRTC buses which are seen on this road in both directions. Apart from this, there are usual trucks that take this road too.

In terms of safety, this one isn't bad at all and considering you will do at dusk, its all the more easier to pass this bad section.

Lastly, I did hear from various sources that the bad patch is repaired to an extent that larger potholes are covered (Not sure how authentic is this information).

Also, if you are fine with a different route, you can always take the Yellapura - Ankola - Karwar route too. At least we know how it stands in comparison with the Anmod route.
Old 1st March 2016, 17:21   #3419
Senior - BHPian

Hi Parag,

Yeah I had tried the Haveri-Sirsi route last time (January) and devimane ghat is great. Only problem is that this route takes nice 11-12 hours compared to Anmod route of 10 hours. My destination is south Goa as usual and Anmod route used to be best for me. And yeah I will be driving Santro with total 4 well built passengers including me so good chance to hit those pothole edges on this Anmod route.
Will try to get more info from my sources in Goa and update here. Thanks.

Regards,
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2016, 09:20   #3420
BHPian

In Goa right now, Vagator to be specific. I got here from Dandeli and the route I took was Dandeli - Ganeshgudi - Supa - Ramnagara - Anmod - Mollem - Ponda - Panaji - Vagator

Since I took the above route, I will only highlight the updates from Ramnagara towards Goa.

Ramnagara to just before Anmod is now excellent two lane road, you can do some great speeds here. Post this the same road condition, quite a bit of diversions due to ongoing road works all the way till Goa border, post that it is simply brilliant all the way to Panaji.

My return is via Chorla, so can't comment about the Ramnagara Dharwad section, but from my last travel to Goa in June 2015, it was great although lots of speedbreakers near towns.

Regards,
Aniketh

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
drhoneycake is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed