Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2016, 18:12   #3616
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Hello Guys,

Planning for a trip next week to Jog Falls, Murudeshwar and then Goa from Bangalore.

Please suggest the best route and how are the conditions, is it worth visiting Jog (wifey is insisting).

Plan is -
Oct 1 - Bangalore - Jog - Murudeshwar
Oct2- Murudeshwar - Goa
Oct 5 - Goa - Bangalore

Thanks in advance
Old 24th September 2016, 22:50   #3617
Senior - BHPian

Pls try Bangalore Tumkur Arsikere Shimoga Sagar Jog Honnavar Murudeshwar route. This is slow route but according to me ideal for your purpose. Not aware of the current ghat section condition of this road. Used this route a few years back to reach honnavar.
Murudeshwar to goa is simple straight NH 17 and should be easy.
Goa to Bangalore is either via chorla or anmod ghat depending on your stay in north or south goa respectively.
Old 24th September 2016, 23:22   #3618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The route via Ramnagar and Anmod will be good. Stick to that as it has less twisties compared to Chorla route, is wider too.
Thank you, paragsachania! I'll take the Ramnagar/Anmod route then. Thanks for sharing the food-stop options as well.
Old 25th September 2016, 19:03   #3619
BHPian

Colva - Belgaum

Has anyone recently done the below route, if so how are the conditions.
Colva - Mollem - Anmod - Khanapur - Belgaum.

Had done the Chorla route few times, wanted to try this route.
Old 26th September 2016, 10:06   #3620
BHPian

Re: Colva - Belgaum

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianNomad View Post
Has anyone recently done the below route, if so how are the conditions.
Colva - Mollem - Anmod - Khanapur - Belgaum.

Had done the Chorla route few times, wanted to try this route.
Within a month's time I have driven thrice on this route, recent being last week. Roads are fairly good till Belgaum. A particular patch of 100 meters just before Mollem toll is in worst condition. Look out for couple of rough patches in Ghat section once you enter Karnataka. Road is pristine condition if you travel through Ramanagar. Otherwise you can also drive through Bhimgad wildlife Sanctuary which will cut down your travel time at least by 20-25 mins (Road is equally good but narrower than NH4-A).
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 16:03   #3621
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

I will be travelling to Karwar next week and looking for the best possible (Shortest +good roads) to get there. the plan is to spend few days in Karwar, then a day in Murudeshwar and then return to Bangalore after visiting Jog Falls. Appreciate your help as always.

Thanks!!
Old 27th September 2016, 16:16   #3622
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Hello,

I will be travelling to Karwar next week and looking for the best possible (Shortest +good roads) to get there. the plan is to spend few days in Karwar, then a day in Murudeshwar and then return to Bangalore after visiting Jog Falls. Appreciate your help as always.

Thanks!!
  • Bangalore - Hubli Bypass - Kalhatgi - Yellapura - Ankola - Karwar (Longest)
  • Bangalore - Bankapura - Mungod - Yellapura - Ankola - Karwar (Shortest)

Both the roads are in good condition while the one via Mungod will have patchy surfaces here and there it is narrow and usually devoid of any traffic at least till you hit Yellapura. However, from my past experiences, this has always been a good time saver against the one via Hubli.

From Karwar you can take the usual NH passing Ankola - Kumta - Honnavar to reach Murudeshwar.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 16:29   #3623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
  • Bangalore - Bankapura - Mungod - Yellapura - Ankola - Karwar (Shortest)

Parag Bhai, would this be the accurate one as per google?

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Sp...4812!3e0?hl=en
Old 27th September 2016, 16:33   #3624
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Parag Bhai, would this be the accurate one as per google?

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Sp...4812!3e0?hl=en
Precisely yes. The turn off for Mungod from NH4 will be soon after Bankapura Toll booth.

Also, Mungod has a Buddhist Monestry that hasn't earned as much popularity as Coorg (obviously) and this little town has good settlement of Tibetians. You can spend an hour here at the Monestry as well if time permits. It will be on your right hand side after crossing Mungod town and you won't miss it.
Old 27th September 2016, 20:04   #3625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Pls try Bangalore Tumkur Arsikere Shimoga Sagar Jog Honnavar Murudeshwar route. This is slow route but according to me ideal for your purpose. Not aware of the current ghat section condition of this road. Used this route a few years back to reach honnavar.
Murudeshwar to goa is simple straight NH 17 and should be easy.
Goa to Bangalore is either via chorla or anmod ghat depending on your stay in north or south goa respectively.
Thank you Ranjiv,

We are staying at Vagator (south goa), please do suggest a good return route as well.

Anyone else is aware of the condition of the ghat section in the route suggested above? Anything to worry over?

Thanks in advance.
Old 27th September 2016, 22:37   #3626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthpotluri View Post
We are staying at Vagator (south goa), please do suggest a good return route as well.
For you then Anmod ghat is the route. Please reach Mollem via NH-4A and continue via this ghat. Just search for Mollem-Anmod-Ramnagar-Dharwad-Bangalore route on GPS or google maps. This is a straight and easy route.
Recent post here by Ertigiat mentioned about a few rough patches near Karnataka side of this ghat. But surely they will not be as bad as they were a year and half back. This is an excellent and fastest route between Goa and Bangalore.
Regards

Last edited by rajivtelang : 27th September 2016 at 22:40.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 12:05   #3627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthpotluri View Post
Thank you Ranjiv,

As suggested by Rajiv, Vagator - Mollem - Anmod - Hubballi - Bangalore is the route for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
For you then Anmod ghat is the route.This is a straight and easy route.
This is an excellent and fastest route between Goa and Bangalore.
You will not encounter much traffic if you are driving towards Mollem from Vagator, but things would be different if you wish you take Karwar route or even Chorla Route. You might come across some traffic between Vagator and Ponda (depending on your time of start) but thereafter you should not face any traffic issues till Nelmangala. Anmod ghat road is in much much better shape than what it used to be a year back.

If you intend to start early from Goa then you should be able to reach NH-4 (Hubballi Bypass) within 3 hours. Thereafter you can reach Bangalore within 5 hours.
Old 30th September 2016, 14:09   #3628
BHPian

Folks,

Planning a trip to Goa from Bangalore on the Oct 8th weekend. As i have to visit south goa, I am planning to take the Karwar route onward. For the return I would request for suggestions as I would be starting from Calangute and I have never tried any route other than Hubli -> Karwar. Please advice considering present road conditions.

Thanks
Cheers
Rahulb22
Old 30th September 2016, 14:32   #3629
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
as I would be starting from Calangute and I have never tried any route other than Hubli -> Karwar. Please advice considering present road conditions.
You can return via Panjim Old Goa Sanquelim Chorla Belgaum Dharwad-Hubli Bangalore. Roads remain excellent end to end. Usual dual carriageway from Belgaum to Bangalore barring 30 kms of Dhawad-Hubli bypass.

Chorla ghats remains in good condition.

For Calangute, I would consider this was a good route to return back.
Old 1st October 2016, 13:16   #3630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumards View Post
I'll be driving from B'lore to Panjim in a couple of weeks with my family. We plan to leave from HSR layout ~4am and would like to reach Panjim by 5pm (max) with short breaks for breakfast, lunch, tea, & loo breaks.

Google maps suggests this route: Bangalore - nh48 - Dharwad - sh34 - Ramnagar - nh748 - Anmod/Mollem/Ponda/Panjim.

- Is there a better route? This would be my first road trip to Goa. So I'm looking for a smooth/fast drive even if it means a longer route.

- Does NH48 bypass the Hubli & Dharwad towns?

- What places would you recommend for breakfast, lunch, and loo-break stops?
I just did a trip to Goa and I live pretty close to HSR. For the onward journey the route was Bangalore - Hubbali - Dharwad(NH-48) - Anmod (SH-34, NH 748) - Canacona (SH-7, NH-66). This is about 630 kms. Canacona is towards the southern end of Goa. Started at 4:45 AM and reached at 2 PM including stops for breakfast and lunch. The roads are very good overall.

The return journey was via Karwar - Ankola (NH-66) - Yellpur - Mundgod - Bankapur (NH-52, SH-6) - Ranebennur - Bangalore (NH-48). This is about 590 kms. This too is a very good route but has some very narrow single lane stretches. Started from Goa at 12 Noon and reached Bangalore at 1100 PM with breaks for lunch, coffee and dinner.

Most Viewed