Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2009, 18:24   #361
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
Things to watch out for- a big bump somewhere between Davangere and Ranebennur. Took it at 140 kph and the car was 3 feet in air.Not really proud of it though.
The dip in the road followed by a hump is on Harihar bypass.
Old 27th January 2009, 18:40   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Dharwad doesnt come in that route which you travelled.

Assuming you did Dharwad - Peenya which is close is 500km and based on my experience you can never do that distance in 4hr 45 min no matter what car you drive !! considering the road conditions.

I hope there is some typo there. Kindly clarify !!

Abhi
you are right.I always get confused between Hubli and Dharwad.I took the bypass before Hubli and got onto NH4 towards Bangalore.Distance was 402 kms from that toll gate to Bangalore.Dharwad never did come on my route.
Old 27th January 2009, 19:07   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romins View Post
Driving alone to Goa for New Year - sounds crazy?
Chitradurga -Bangalore (250km) was covered in 2hrs in my Santro.
Grrreatt!!!!That is really awesome.cheers:
Old 28th January 2009, 11:58   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore- Hiriyur -> 200km - 3hrs in the night
Hiriyur -Hubli ->250km -3hrs during day

Return route: Goa-Karwar-Hubli-Tumkur-Jayanagar via NICE road -> 750km -12hrs. Chitradurga -Bangalore (250km) was covered in 2hrs in my Santro.
Oh Really ? or is it a typo ? if 2 hrs then I doubt it. Just 2hrs to bangalore from chitradurga in a santro is really unbelievable. Avg KMPH is 125, so for you to reach bangalore you should be driving 150kmph many a times. Let it be even Chitradurga to peenya, But I just can't believe this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Assuming you did Dharwad - Peenya which is close is 500km and based on my experience you can never do that distance in 4hr 45 min no matter what car you drive !! considering the road conditions.

I hope there is some typo there. Kindly clarify !!

Abhi
+1 to it. I totally agree with you here Abhi

Last edited by sushrutha : 28th January 2009 at 11:59.
Old 28th January 2009, 12:17   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Driving alone to Goa for New Year - sounds crazy?
Bangalore- Hiriyur -> 200km - 3hrs in the night
750km -12hrs. Chitradurga -Bangalore (250km) was covered in 2hrs in my Santro.

Bangalore to hiriyur is 160 kms and bangalore to Chitradurga is 200 kms.I've studied around there hence I know for sure.
Old 28th January 2009, 12:25   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

Let it go, guys. It is Possible.

Quote:
14000rpm : On the return, did the entire journey in 10 hrs flat.Dharwad to Bangalore (till the ring road near Peenya) 4.45 hrs only!
akroy : Assuming you did Dharwad - Peenya which is close is 500km and based on my experience you can never do that distance in 4hr 45 min no matter what car you drive !! considering the road conditions.
14000rpm : you are right.I always get confused between Hubli and Dharwad.I took the bypass before Hubli and got onto NH4 towards Bangalore.Distance was 402 kms from that toll gate to Bangalore.Dharwad never did come on my route.
Abhi, I would not doubt 14k-rpm's timing so much. It is possible to do that 400km in that time. Have done better than that, actually. Heck, have even done 275 km between BLR-Davangere in about 3 hrs 30 min - In A Bus ! (11:15 am -2:45 pm).

Another point you may be missing here is - shorter the drive, lesser the breaks. I do a slower / steadier 90-100 kmph, and take a break every 2.5- 3 hrs. If @14000 was doing faster speeds, then he would have needed may be 1 break, say for 15 min ? Then his average speed is still less than 100 kmph.
Quote:
14000rpm : My ride was an Alto.Things to watch out for- a big bump somewhere between Davangere and Ranebennur. Took it at 140 kph and the car was 3 feet in air.Not really proud of it though.
I would say that he may not have slowed down for rough patches.

@14000, what time was this drive (just in case I missed it)

Last edited by condor : 28th January 2009 at 12:30.
Old 28th January 2009, 12:29   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Abhi, I would not doubt 14k-rpm's timing so much. It is possible to do that 400km in that time. Have done better than that, actually. Heck, have even done 275 km between BLR-Davangere in about 3 hrs 30 min - In A Bus ! (11:15 am -2:45 pm).

Another point you may be missing here is - shorter the drive, lesser the breaks. I do a slower / steadier 90-100 kmph, and take a break every 2.5- 3 hrs. If @14000 was doing faster speeds, then he would have needed may be 1 break, say for 15 min ? Then his average speed is still less than 100 kmph.

I would say that he may not have slowed down for rough patches.

@14000, what time was this drive (just in case I missed it)
late morning.started from Goa early in the morning.
Old 28th January 2009, 13:01   #368
BANNED

Have done this route like 100 times, once every month before marraige and once in 3 months after.

The Chitradurga - Peenya route takes about 3 - 3:45 hours to complete. Considering the toll booths and the traffic coming into tumkur. Anytime of the day takes the same time.

Before the Ramnagar - Anmod route became history i have driven down that quite often. The last being in Sept 2007 in the Bolero. This has to be the best road to reach Goa within 12 hours - any vehicle. Sadly the Karnataka Government just does not care, dont know why.

The least time i have taken from Bangalore to Goa is 9 hours 45 mins - nonstop, in the Bolero. Distance 685 kms.

Started at 20:00 from Koramangala and reached Miramar-Panjim at 5:45 am next day.

The maximum time taken - 16 hours in 2007 when i took the now turned to a myth route - ramnagar in the Bolero. Its so horrible you wont even know where to go at so many places. One such place is a 90 degree turn with a lake right infront. The onward road does not exist and it looks like you need to drive into the lake to go any further. Look closely on the left and you see the remnants of a milestone some 500 mts away you point your vehicle towards it and just drive on.

Also who remembers the state of the Anmod ghat around the sametime - late 2007- early 2008? Same as the ramnagar route only advantage you atleast had a great view.
Old 28th January 2009, 14:45   #369
Senior - BHPian

Some updates on the roads,
Bangalore-Shimoga :Pretty good. Most of the potholes near Bhadravati is filled up and the drive till Shimoga is good.
Jog-Honnavar -> This section is not good at all to drive. Very narrow roads and road is not in good shape. Sides of the road has big dips and maynot be good for your car underbody if you have to go lil' off road to give way to on-coming vehicle. Avoid this section and instead take Sagar-Sirsi-Devimane-Mirjan road. But road widening work is going on and may be it'll be good after few months.
Honnavar-Kumta : OK roads. Recently repaired but not very smooth.
Kumta-Ankola : Repaired in many places so not as bad as it used to be.
Ankola - Gokarna Pass -> Bad in few sections.
Gokarna Pass- Karwar : Bad in few sections but overall OK.
Karwar-Palolem : Good roads all the way. (Goa roads were recently laid it seems)
Palolem - Panjim : Good roads mostly except a stretch of few kms just after Cancona municipilaty sections ends.

While returning,
Mirjan-Sirsi : Somewhat good but the road is detoriating. Note: There was heavy fog on the route and the visibility was very very less. We were driving at 30kmph on that stretch in foggy sections. Luckily found some volvos who were doing around 60-70kmph(dunno how they've managed to do that kind of speed) and tailed them till Sirsi.
Sirsi - Haveri : Initial 20-30km is bad and needs repair. Rest they are doing road widening and so needs to be careful. Probably this whole route will be widened soon.
Haveri -Ranibennur : Although 4 laning is not completed we didn't find it that bad like last year. May be because traffic was less yesterday.
Rannibennur- Davangere -Chitradurga: Same as above. Lots of diversions but still fast.
Chitradurga - Bangalore : Excellent most of the time but few stretches fly-overs/bypasses are not completed(e.g. Chitradurga, Tumkur etc.). There are three stupid bumps without any signs at the starting of Hiriyur Flyover. Be careful about them. God knows whose brilliantly stupid idea to put speedbreakers on a highway without any signs.
Regards,
Kaushik

PS : Even I doubt at the 2 hrs driving time for Chitradurga to Blr. Yesterday I did it in 3hrs and was driving between 130 -145 kmph most of the time. Max. speed was 157kmph according to GPS. But with the kind of traffic on the route and the incomplete stretches I highly doubt that having an average speed of more then 100kmph is possible. Plus add the 3 toll gates enroute.

Last edited by kaushik_s : 28th January 2009 at 14:53.
Old 28th January 2009, 14:46   #370
BHPian

I am planning to do Bangalore-Goa in Feb. I am travelling with 2 kids (<4 years). I am planning to go all the way to Belgaum on NH-4, Take a night's break in Belgaum and then take NH-4A to Goa.

The route is based on my readings of this thread but it is very confusing because of so much data and so many different routes which folks have taken and suggested

Hopefully this is a good choice. I did not want to drive all the way to Goa in a single day because of the kids.
Old 28th January 2009, 16:26   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Condor, 400km can be done in that time. I assumed it as 500km (I assumed Belgaum - Peenya). 14Krpm has already clarified me on that.

Abhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhasin View Post
I am planning to do Bangalore-Goa in Feb. I am travelling with 2 kids (<4 years). I am planning to go all the way to Belgaum on NH-4, Take a night's break in Belgaum and then take NH-4A to Goa.

The route is based on my readings of this thread but it is very confusing because of so much data and so many different routes which folks have taken and suggested

Hopefully this is a good choice. I did not want to drive all the way to Goa in a single day because of the kids.
Why do want to travel all 500km and then take a break? Instead you can take the break at Goa itself. make sense right?
Read my travelogue of Goa. we did pretty fast through Sirsi route.
You can also choose snaronikar's recent Goa travelogue/route if your accomodation in goa is northwards from Panji.

Abhi

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th January 2009 at 17:59. Reason: see note in post
Old 28th January 2009, 17:39   #372
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
There are three stupid bumps without any signs at the starting of Hiriyur Flyover. Be careful about them. God knows whose brilliantly stupid idea to put speedbreakers on a highway without any signs.
But those are Karnataka specials! What would driving in Karnataka be like without unmarked speedbreakers?
Old 28th January 2009, 20:12   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Oh Really ? or is it a typo ? if 2 hrs then I doubt it. Just 2hrs to bangalore from chitradurga in a santro is really unbelievable. Avg KMPH is 125, so for you to reach bangalore you should be driving 150kmph many a times. Let it be even Chitradurga to peenya, But I just can't believe this.
Bangalore-Chitradurga is 200kms. Very much possible in 2hrs in low traffic conditions. Did Chitradurga bypass(Indian Oil Petrol Pump)-Bangalore(Fraser Town) while returning from Pune 3 weeks back in 2hrs flat. My log says that I left Chitradurga at 9:50 PM and was home at 11:50 PM. This is inclusive of the 2-3 toll booths ,heavy truck traffic on the Tumkur-Nelamangala stretch and also the incomplete Nelamagala-Peenya stretch.
@romins says that he took the NICE road after Nelamangala, so the possibility is even higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
But those are Karnataka specials! What would driving in Karnataka be like without unmarked speedbreakers?
Totally agree.What is driving in Karnataka without unmarked speed breakers
Old 12th February 2009, 09:46   #374
BANNED

Did a search for Bang-Goa and what do you know? The same thread that I had started 2 years ago came up as the first.

At that time after 16+ hours one way, I had sworn never to drive to Goa again, and I did fly twice BUT now with BIAL located so far [for me], and the entire home to hotel likely to take 6 hours or so, I am again tempted to drive.

Hope I dont regret it but NOW which would be the fastest/best route? Am planning only 3 days in Goa so would like to be able to do it in 10 hours or so - much more and I dont see the point of the trip at all. Is it possible?
Old 12th February 2009, 10:08   #375
BANNED

Missed the edit time but also:

Also I spend on flight, cab from home to airport, cab in Goa to hotel AND I need to rent a car there - so its cheap to drive and 'cheap' is my middle name

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks