Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2016, 12:29   #3736
BHPian

Thank you Vivek & KD007. Anyone has contact information of travel agents/jeep drivers in Dudhsagar ?
Old 15th December 2016, 15:14   #3737
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quick one please - can we pay toll on NH4 now by electronic means (card/wallet)? Have a weekend trip to Sirsi coming up & I have only a couple 2000rs notes on me at present. Want to try to go cashless as much as possible this time.

How is the experience between Blore (starting at peenya) to Haveri (Ranibennur is the last toll I presume) toll plazas for cashless payments?
Old 16th December 2016, 11:32   #3738
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansumaan View Post
Anyone has contact information of travel agents/jeep drivers in Dudhsagar ?
No contact information but I here's what I gleaned from a friend who visited recently:

Drive up to Collem/Kulem. There is a forest department office and taxis nearby. Talk to the cabbies and hire a cab - roughly works out to about Rs.400 per head or about Rs.2500 if you want the jeep to yourself/family.

The forest department folks limit the number of vehicles per day that are allowed inside, so good idea to be reach there at least by 9am.
They jeep ride goes very close to the base of the waterfall (and a short trek is needed) and is an exhilarating experience.

*Once you get into the Jeep, do not get down anywhere en route other than the last point near the base of the waterfall, it could be dangerous - my friends spotted a leopard right next to the Jeep trail on their way back.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2016, 14:31   #3739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Quick one please - can we pay toll on NH4 now by electronic means (card/wallet)? Have a weekend trip to Sirsi coming up & I have only a couple 2000rs notes on me at present. Want to try to go cashless as much as possible this time.

How is the experience between Blore (starting at peenya) to Haveri (Ranibennur is the last toll I presume) toll plazas for cashless payments?
They are accepting credit cards in toll booths beyond tumkur. Even tempo & truck drivers were using cards. No mobile wallets though.

Couldn't check at Peenya & nelamangala tolls az it was crowded and hence paid with the change I had (20 n 34).

It takes twice the avg cash transaction time when using credit card from my view. Data connection matters too I guess. Cash is fast at a toll booth.
null is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2016, 05:29   #3740

I have an urgent trip to make from North Goa to Bangalore. It will be my first time to Bangalore.

Whats the best route starting from Panjim to hit the NH4 as I plan a 5 am start on Monday morning. Is it a good idea to start early as I have no idea on road safety travelling so early from Goa. My family will be with me. I am worried as I have never travelled this route. Is driving to Belgaum a better option or Hubli, keeping in mind that the sun will be out only around 6.30. P.s I am not a night driving person. Please help.
Thanks in advance.
Old 18th December 2016, 10:48   #3741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriansarita View Post
I have an urgent trip to make from North Goa to Bangalore. It will be my first time to Bangalore.
Panjim--Ribander bypass--Ponda--Mollem--Anmod ghat--Ramnagar--Dharwad--Bangalore. Irrespective of the start time, this is the fastest and best route from Panjim to Bangalore, more suitable for journey during wee hours as well. Going to Belgaum would be an unnecessary detour.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd December 2016 at 07:06. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 18th December 2016, 20:42   #3742
BHPian

Totally agreed with Vivek. In fact couple of days back I did travel to Hubli from Margao. I was able to reach Hubli Airport by 8 AM with start of 5 AM from Margao. You should be entering Bangalore by 1.30 PM~ 2 PM with 5 AM start.
Old 18th December 2016, 22:56   #3743
BHPian

Toll booths from Davangere to Peenya were choked with min 10+ vehicles in each lane. The two between Chitradurga and tumkur took 30 min each with all lanes operational (+2 lanes from opp direction opened for clearing the pile up). Operator said it is because of card payments taking infinite time and almost all cars were paying by card.

Generally Sunday evening traffic on this route (towards Bangalore) is bad, but today was exceptionally worse, thanks to a ton of trucks along with high speed recklessly driven cars (returning from goa mostly) criss crossing the lanes between trucks at speeds of 100+km. I have told my parents that they should not plan any visits requiring return on Sunday evening from now on.

BTW, want to highlight this tiny restaurant in harihara - Vaishnavi Restaurant - with awesome tasting north Indian veg fare. An ideal place for lunch or dinner. Don't expect fine dining standards, but it is a neat and tidy place, way above dhaba levels. Give it a try for some excellent food. (Psst.. a roti costs just 7rs and is almost 10inches wide - huge) :P. Have added a label for this location on Google maps now for everyone's reference.

Last edited by null : 18th December 2016 at 22:58. Reason: Addition
null is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 22:24   #3744
rbp
BHPian

I will be travelling to South Goa from BLR on Friday. Plan is to leave Bangalore on Thursday evening and halt at Shimoga [In laws place]. Leave Shimoga early morning on Friday and drive all the way. Last year when I went to Goa I took the Honnavar route, now if I do the same query on Google it is showing me the following

Shimoga - Sagar - Talaguppa - Siddapur - Sirsi - Kumta - Karwar.

This route works up to 262 kms, where as the Honnavar route isn't even shown as an option on gmaps, the Honnavar route according to the map is 10 kms less. I am confused which route I should be opting for, the Sirsi route or Honnavar route, the Honnavar route I know has lots of ghats, not sure of the Sirsi route and road conditions.

Please help .....
Old 21st December 2016, 09:57   #3745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
I will be travelling to South Goa from BLR on Friday. Plan is to leave Bangalore on Thursday evening and halt at Shimoga [In laws place]. Leave Shimoga early morning on Friday and drive all the way. Last year when I went to Goa I took the Honnavar route, now if I do the same query on Google it is showing me the following

Shimoga - Sagar - Talaguppa - Siddapur - Sirsi - Kumta - Karwar.

Please help .....
From Shimoga it is Sirsi -> Mirjan -> Ankola -> Karwar

The Sagar - Talaguppa - Honnavar - Kumta and then Ankola route is slightly a roundabout route to Karwar from Shivamogga(Shimoga) but a shade faster than the other route.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 10:05   #3746
Distinguished - BHPian

On this Saturday (Dec 24), I plan to take Bangalore--Dharwad--Ramnagar--Anmod Ghat--Mollem--Ponda route. going through few posts backwards, it seems like good route to take. Its been ages since I took Anmod or Kalghatagi-Karwar routes! This time for a change, I would be skipping the Chorala-Sanquelim route and instead pick Anmod ghat stretch.

Leisurely departure from Bangalore (7am it means ) is on cards. With risk of crowded toll booths, holiday going cars on road and late start in the day, we are almost going against the tide and rules of travel! Only thing that is for sure is - we are in holiday mood, No deadlines to chase, no rush whatsoever!
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 19:50   #3747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
On this Saturday (Dec 24), I plan to take Bangalore--Dharwad--Ramnagar--Anmod Ghat--Mollem--Ponda route. going through few posts backwards, it seems like good route to take. Its been ages since I took Anmod or Kalghatagi-Karwar routes! This time for a change, I would be skipping the Chorala-Sanquelim route and instead pick Anmod ghat stretch.

Leisurely departure from Bangalore (7am it means ) is on cards. With risk of crowded toll booths, holiday going cars on road and late start in the day, we are almost going against the tide and rules of travel! Only thing that is for sure is - we are in holiday mood, No deadlines to chase, no rush whatsoever!
I am also planning to drive down the same route to go North goa(Candolim). Have never done such a long route, Ever!. Planning to halt at Hubali for the night and then proceed next day.

Guys - Are there any hotel options beyond Huballi? Closer towards Goa? Was tempted to halt at Karwar, but might become a little too much with a 5 year old in tandem.
Old 22nd December 2016, 19:58   #3748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinr30 View Post
I am also planning to drive down the same route to go North goa(Candolim). Have never done such a long route, Ever!. Planning to halt at Hubali for the night and then proceed next day.

Guys - Are there any hotel options beyond Huballi? Closer towards Goa? Was tempted to halt at Karwar, but might become a little too much with a 5 year old in tandem.
Beyond Hubli there is only Karwar or Belgaum with stay options depending on the route you take and both are just about 3 hours away from Candolim.

Karwar-Hubli:2.5-3hrs
Belgaum-Hubli:2hrs
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 23:17   #3749
BHPian

Dudhsagar resort. Almost near Goa though.
Old 23rd December 2016, 10:17   #3750
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinr30 View Post
This being a peak holiday season for the area, getting proper hotel may be difficult unless you book in advance. Try with HVK CHD if you get something on that route.

I too have a 4 year old and 10 year old with me. And we have always done the Bangalore Goa stretch in under 10 hours at all times. Its absolutely doable with ample breaks for kiddo. Starting a little early in the morning would give you big benefit as kiddo will be almost half asleep! Before he/she knows, you will be somewhere near Chitradurga. A good 45-60 minutes break in Apoorva resort will freshen up and you can afford to take next break around Hubli. After hubli, if you take the Karwar route, somewhere around halfway from jarwar, you can take a break for another 45-60 minutes combined with lunch (better if you home pack it) Next large break in Karwar at sea shore park. And then hit your destination. At the max you will need 12 hours come what may.

If this is not something you want to try, at least target to reach Karwar - thats a great place to spend a night if you get some good booing closer to beach/ CBD.

I will be departing from Bangalore tomorrow as said earlier - 7am! I will update about the route in couple of days.
abirnale is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed