Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2016, 12:05   #3766
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Returned from Goa yesterday. I had a horrible experience on Anmod road. There is an unmarked huge road hump just about 1.5 kms beyond Dharwad-Ramnagar toll booth. My Honda City jumped and the road hump bore a hole through the engine oil sump and disabled the car immediately. Please be aware of this nasty road hump. Many other cars experienced this issue right after mine, but they were ok (cars were not damaged). Got the car towed, with family of wife and two kids and myself sitting in the damaged car. Left the car at Lakeshore Honda. Very bad experience.

Took a taxi and reached Goa next day (stayed at Gateway Hotel).

Total damage due to this incredibly bad experience is the lost confidence, self-doubt in driving, 35K INR, plus realization of how the road authorities make our lives miserable at every km of drive.

Please take care and drive slowly. For those of you who are not used to twisty and ghat roads, Karwar route is more tamer than Anmod ghat, which I found too twisty. Couple of drivers almost lost their turns and would have rammed us. Saw two fatal accidents too.

Not to sound alarming or depressing or downbeat, this is what I could see. Flying seems to be safer option.

Only bright side, FASTag was absolutely awesome. My drive back from Hubli, I did not pay a single rupee anywhere and saved almost 1.5 hours of drive time! Free pass at every toll booth. Priceless. Make sure you always stay in the left lanes and indicate to toll guys that you have the fastag. They will open up the lane for you!!
bsdbsd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2016, 12:51   #3767
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Please take care and drive slowly. For those of you who are not used to twisty and ghat roads, Karwar route is more tamer than Anmod ghat, which I found too twisty. Couple of drivers almost lost their turns and would have rammed us. Saw two fatal accidents too.
Sorry to hear this.

Have not been on this for a long long time. But yes if you are heading to one of those 4/5 star resorts in south Goa; Yellapur/Karwar is a much easier option. In fact when with family, I wont even prefer the Bankapur short-cut.

Also looks like the car was fixed before your return. How long did it take?

Last edited by ampere : 31st December 2016 at 12:53.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2016, 13:07   #3768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Sorry to hear this.

Have not been on this for a long long time. But yes if you are heading to one of those 4/5 star resorts in south Goa; Yellapur/Karwar is a much easier option. In fact when with family, I wont even prefer the Bankapur short-cut.

Also looks like the car was fixed before your return. How long did it take?
Thanks Ampere. Left Bangalore on 24th and the incident happened on 24th at 1PM (Saturday). Service adviser said he needed two weeks but he completed the job on 27th evening (That's two days NOT including the Sunday, the 25th). Not sure now what to believe (he had said the part was available only in Delhi and MP). I completed my vacation in Goa on 30th, made the family fly back, I went to Hubli in a taxi, and drove back.

In addition, I would want to advise all the travelers (drivers or otherwise), in carrying a original govt issued photo ID with all times. You never know when it will be needed (and enough cash!).

Useful car towing numbers (around Hubli and Dharwad) :

- 91 95133-19637.
- 91 99721-49747.

I never publish others numbers without their permission, but I am publishing the above in the interest of traveling public.
bsdbsd is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st December 2016, 16:26   #3769
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Returned from Goa yesterday. I had a horrible experience on Anmod road. There is an unmarked huge road hump just about 1.5 kms beyond Dharwad-Ramnagar toll booth.
Sorry to hear that! The Dharwad-Ramnagar tolled road is indeed well done but also has plenty of speedbreakers passing each small village.

While most of the speedbreakers are typically having a flat top like any pedestrian crossing bump we see in Bangalore, there are certainly few speedbreakers right before of after a fast section along the curves only because they have been regular accident spots. On such roads, the moment I know I can reach 3 digit speeds, I expect a speedbreaker ahead.

Quote:
Karwar route is more tamer than Anmod ghat, which I found too twisty.
Absolutely agree. The Karwar route doesn't really have any such nasty sections like Anmod and for South Goa it makes immense sense.

Anmod has been consistently bad that ever since it was repaired, it really went on to become one of the most preferred one too - Thanks to less traffic and this also is the shortest option to reach Goa. Unfortunately, this one also isn't that safe today with most of them taking this route as I see the transformation and witness good private traffic on this road.

Regular Goans also preferred this route even when the roads were bad 2 years back whenever driving down from Mumbai/Pune only because it makes the entry to Goa faster than any of the other the 2 options - Karwar or Chorla and also for the fact that roads soon after the Ghats end (Mollem) are smooth as silk and fast.

Quote:
Not to sound alarming or depressing or downbeat, this is what I could see. Flying seems to be safer option.
Indeed. Driving is one of the most riskiest activity that one takes up in his/her life. If you are comfortable flying and apprehensive about driving, it should always be your choice first (flying).

And many thanks for sharing those numbers, it will indeed be helpful for many driving in that sector.

When it comes to mobile connectivity and passing petty villages, all ghats are same and have no concerns in terms of availability of assistance. Beginning of this year we were driving with another car in tow that suffered a brake fluid leakage and we could find a good FNG at Ramangar town itself.

There is regular traffic on all 3 roads with lesser trucks in Chorla. So both Anmod and Karwar options are bankable.

Quote:
In addition, I would want to advise all the travelers (drivers or otherwise), in carrying a original govt issued photo ID with all times. You never know when it will be needed (and enough cash!).
This must be a practice on long drives even if it is within the state. Have the originals inside your luggage and produce them only when asked. I always make it a point to carry all the originals whenever I head out for a drive.

Last edited by paragsachania : 31st December 2016 at 16:32.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2016, 21:43   #3770
BHPian

Many thanks for your insightful post, packed with essential travel wisdom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
...there are certainly few speedbreakers right before of after a fast section along the curves only because they have been regular accident spots. On such roads, the moment I know I can reach 3 digit speeds, I expect a speedbreaker ahead.
Good observation and a thumb rule. What I don't understand is that why we should be aware of every km of the road worrying about what hits us next. This takes the fun out of driving.

Quote:
Anmod has been consistently bad that ever since it was repaired, it really went on to become one of the most preferred one too - Thanks to less traffic and this also is the shortest option to reach Goa. Unfortunately, this one also isn't that safe today with most of them taking this route as I see the transformation and witness good private traffic on this road.
People driving to Goa - strongly take a note of the above. Anmod ghat road is not safe. Not because I met with an incident, but overall, the road is unscientific, narrower, bendier and twistier by a significant percent than Karwar route, and generally unsafe in every aspect. If I am in the minority, so be it, but you have been warned.

Quote:
Indeed. Driving is one of the most riskiest activity that one takes up in his/her life. If you are comfortable flying and apprehensive about driving, it should always be your choice first (flying).
Amen to that. Its becoming increasingly risky due to the proliferation of private vehicles. With everyone now in possession of a car, people are using unique ways to differentiate themselves on the road. All the High end cars and SUVs seem to have speed limiters that prevent them from going at less than 150 kms/hr under all travel conditions. Travel in general has become an annoyance.

I want to close out with this note:

1. Humanity is the #1 thing we need to pack. Dont hesitate to help others. When I was disabled, at least 20 cars stopped by and enquired about our well being. It was a Hyundai executive who immediately summoned help.

Thanks and be safe.
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2017, 02:51   #3771
BHPian

Sorry, I beg to differ with you guys. There is nothing so seriously wrong with Anmod ghat route to label it as "unsafe". The erratic driving behaviours by some ( or many ) road users is pretty much the same as you see in any other ghat roads. By the logic of saying Anmod as unsafe, Chorla would be outright dangerous then. Anmod has long straight stretches on flat terrains with distant visibility and with considerable wide two lanes even at sharp curves where in two vehicles can cross each other quite comfortably ( with some caution excerised ofcourse ). Come Chorla, this is not the usual case. Due to narrow roads all through, you got to proceed extra cautiously over the curves. There are about a few turns where a bus and car come to a full halt before negotiating each other. Certainly not in case of Anmod ghat given the wide roads.

As regards increase in traffic levels, that could be the temporary spike owing to the peak season in Goa from Nov to March. Though I agree, the overall scores of people driving down to Goa from nearby and far off places over the last 3-4 years ( say even Delhi, Kolkata etc ) has increased than earlier due to the rapid improvement in highway infrastructure across the country.

I would infact say the traffic levels got redistributed once Anmod ghat was revamped last year. For about 3 years, Chorla had been the single most famous route to be taken to Goa by the virtue of its supersmooth roads. It handled the traffic inflow from 4 major metros viz. Mumbai/Pune/Bangalore/Hyderabad and the routinely high Goa-Belgaum-Goa traffic. Amboli route was taking care of Bombay-Poona traffic whenever it was in very good condition. Bangaloreans took it for heading to North Goa and Old Goa whereas it was a common entry for those coming from Hyderabad be it south or north or old. But now the burden from Chorla is reduced following repairs of Anmod ghat and Amboli ghat. I have been a regular on these routes both day and night and can easily make out the difference, now that the compulsory right fork at Peeranwadi cross, Belgaum ( for wanting to travel on super smooth roads i .e Chorla ) is a thing of the past. People take the left fork as well these days ( NH4A ) for destinations in Ponda and South Goa.

No offence meant to anyone but just stating my views. Safe or not is upto individual's discretion. IMHO guys, Anmod is not really unsafe. May be just relatively unsafe compared to Arebail ghat route ( Yellapur- Karwar ) as the latter is less curvy but not as in generally unsafe in every aspect. Pitch it against Chorla , Anmod is anyday much safer route to "drive" as well as in being less desolated even at wee hours of night. As for the close shaves, they are lurking around everywhere, more with narrow roads, isn't it ?

Anyways, I am off to Belgaum tomorrow from Mumbai after long hours of duty and might just head out on Chorla/Anmod just for the sake of breathing fresh air if I find time. Will try to post updates if anything significant.

Last edited by vivek95 : 1st January 2017 at 02:59.
vivek95 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st January 2017, 11:35   #3772
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Sorry, I beg to differ with you guys. There is nothing so seriously wrong with Anmod ghat route to label it as "unsafe". The erratic driving behaviours by some ( or many ) road users is pretty much the same as you see in any other ghat roads.
Right Vivek. I am sure the comparison is only to say Anmod is more twistier than the Kalhatgi- Yellapur - Karwar route. Else Anmod is just like any other ghat with its own share of twist and turns and post repairs, its indeed become fast too.

Quote:
By the logic of saying Anmod as unsafe, Chorla would be outright dangerous then.
Couldn't agree more. Chorla is narrow and has lot more twists and turns when compared to Anmod. Chorla also witnesses regular accidents (if not fatal).

Chorla has lesser truck and bus traffic when you compare that to Anmod that has regular traffic of all types all through the day and night. This is one reason why there are those construction/mine trucks which are driven very rashly on Chorla ghats due to absence of such traffic.

Quote:
considerable wide two lanes even at sharp curves where in two vehicles can cross each other quite comfortably ( with some caution excerised ofcourse ).
This is so true. I don't recollect a single curve here where 2 vehicles couldn't pass. Overall, this is built and designed that way and hence it eventually becomes fast.

But I do have witnessed accidents on the curves and that is mostly due to driver errors and nothing else.

Quote:
Bangaloreans took it for heading to North Goa and Old Goa whereas it was a common entry for those coming from Hyderabad be it south or north or old.

Earlier I used to regularly take Chorla but now Anmod for onward and Karwar for return has been my fixed choice.

I would also like to add one more point - Drive on the same road on a day which is not part of the usual long weekends/Holidays and you will certainly come back with a different (positive) opinion of the same road you drove last time.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2017, 15:39   #3773
h14
BHPian

Traveled last weekend and the roads were good. We took the Bangalore-Hubli-Dharwad-Londa-Ponda-Panjim route.

The Bangalore chitradurga was good. Chitradurga to Dharwad was ordinary I should say. Unmarked speed breakers, deteriorating surface and bad patches ensure you have a rough ride. To add to it the exorbitant toll fees too.

But Dharwad to Panjim was very good. There are some railway overbridges which are stopped mid way of construction and apart from that the roads are good. Unlike many, I found this Dharwad - Panjim (SH34 & NH748) very comfortable in both night and day driving. Maybe due to my driving style I didn't find it difficult. Onward was night/wee hours between 2-5am and return was between 11am-2pm types.

Traffic was also comparatively less. Adding some pics of the NH748, it will give an idea on the road condition

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img20161230wa0006.jpg

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-p_20161230_064933_1_p_1.jpg

Last edited by h14 : 2nd January 2017 at 15:58.
h14 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2017, 16:18   #3774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Sorry, I beg to differ with you guys. There is nothing so seriously wrong with Anmod ghat route to label it as "unsafe".
Agree with you. I took Anmod ghat road thrice recently and did not find it 'unsafe' as such. Yesterday I returned from Goa via Karwar - Yellapur - Bankapur - NH48. In fact, I found the Yellapur - Bankapur (SH6) section is very narrow and may avoid in future.
Old 2nd January 2017, 16:57   #3775
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Returned from Goa yesterday. I had a horrible experience on Anmod road. There is an unmarked huge road hump just about 1.5 kms beyond Dharwad-Ramnagar toll booth. My Honda City jumped and the road hump bore a hole through the engine oil sump and disabled the car immediately.
Just realised, we met at the exact spot. I was driving that Orange XUV who pulled over next to your car and enquired about towing arrangement if needed. I generally carry a tow tape in the car for such unforeseen instances. Towing takes time and if someone can really help pull to the next available hotel/ city, at least family gets to rest a little.
abirnale is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 11:10   #3776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Just realised, we met at the exact spot. I was driving that Orange XUV who pulled over next to your car and enquired about towing arrangement if needed. I generally carry a tow tape in the car for such unforeseen instances. Towing takes time and if someone can really help pull to the next available hotel/ city, at least family gets to rest a little.
. Many thanks /u/abirnale. Much appreciate it. I fully remember. I had seen your earlier post about you leaving for Goa on that day. I wanted to give you my phone number as I was leaving earlier than you (you had mentioned about a leisurely start). Tables turned and how! Thanks again and HNY 2017.
bsdbsd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 17:48   #3777
BHPian

I just concluded my trip through Anmod ghat. I was about to share my irritation and I see a post about Anmod being labeled Unsafe. No offence, but I totally disagree. As mentioned by Vivek there has been increase in traffic levels & at the same time there has been increase in erratic driving too. Anmod ghat is my usual route to either Belgaum or Hubli and I travel at least twice a month through this ghat. It, at times is frustrating to see drivers being impatient while in ghat sections. I bet the difference of reaching atop hill or Mollem will not exceed more than 5 mins. One might even see vehicle right behind him at check post which he overtook risking everyone’s life along the section. Sir, understand plight of local like me who has to face the antics during peak season. Sometimes I want to yell at them and express my anguish. But as one bad experience doesn’t make a particular section ‘Unsafe’, one bad driver doesn’t make everyone a bad driver.

Anyway, Parag Sir & Vivek have already provided insight of conditions in Anmod ghat. I better not right anything more about it. But couple of suggestions to travelers (Though these have been mentioned in the forum from time to time),
  • Drive in right gear and at optimum speed.
  • Being in right gear always helps. Be it acceleration or deceleration.
  • I would recommend driving at 40-50Kmph in the ghat section. Not only it will be safer, it will also help reduce nausea of your family members/kids.
  • Do not attempt overtaking at blind curve.

Happy Driving.
Ertigiat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 14:00   #3778
BHPian

I am planning for a Bangalore - Goa run next weekend. I plan to start quite early - about 3 - 3:30 am in the morning from Electronic City.

My question is, would I experience major fog issues on the route esp. since I start early morning?
Old 6th January 2017, 14:05   #3779
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphukan View Post
My question is, would I experience major fog issues on the route esp. since I start early morning?
I have often left from Bangalore as early as 0400am and usually encountered fog between Hiriyur and Chitradurga but again irregularly and that has never been consistent even during winters.

Beyond that, in any of the ghats (Anmod, Yellapura, Chorla) based on whatever route you take, since it will be nearing noon and not cloudy, you don't have to worry about fog there. It is mostly during rainy season that fog plays a major role in your travel times around here.

This is an image of fog between Tumkur and Chitradurga exactly last year around same time when I drove to Mumbai on Dec End:

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-01-fog01.jpg

Last edited by paragsachania : 6th January 2017 at 14:10. Reason: Added Image
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2017, 00:31   #3780

Quote:
Returned from Goa yesterday.
Oh yes.Reading through your post I realised I enquired with you for any help when your car was just started to being towed. I was in a white Honda city. I was returning from Goa that day.Anyways happy to read you had gone to Goa and hope you had a great time.

Mod's note. Please do not:

1. quote entire long posts
2. type..like..this..

in the best interests of readability. Thanks.

Last edited by theMAG : 7th January 2017 at 20:43.
shadab.upes is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks