Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2017, 18:19   #3796
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Some minor road updates and sharing a pic of our new car.

By God's grace, we happened to be proud owners of Volkswagen Polo day before yesterday ( VW Belgaum ). After a spin on NH4 post delivery, I went on a long drive traversing the scenic forests of Western Ghats on NH4A Belgaum--Goa highway, Jamboti--Khanapur and Chorla--Belgaum roads. Pleased to report that NH4A and Chorla roads are in a pristine condition. Initial 2-3 km part of NH4A nearing Belgaum exit is very rough, but further on its a driver's delight !

Khanapur--Jamboti stretch is in a decent condition with some rough patches interspersed but overall the road is perfectly motorable.

Polo posing on NH4A
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-1486104813_tmp_img_20170202_225011.jpg  

Last edited by vivek95 : 3rd February 2017 at 18:21.
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 18:28   #3797
BANNED

I (once again) did the Bangalore - Goa trip, this Jan 26th long week-end & here is my short update

Route taken : Bangalore - Hubli - Ramnagar - Ponda - Anjuna - Ponda - Ramnagar - Hubli - Bangalore

I Left home @ 3:15 AM from North Bangalore and took 9 hours 45 minutes to reach Anjuna with one breakfast halt @ Kamat, Varur. The road stretch between Peenya & Tumkur is 2 lane divided road with average road surfacing. The roads have seen better days. The Tumkur - Chitradurga stretch is an excellent 3 lane road with good road surfacing. I would say its the best strech in the entire trip. But do look out for those annoying rumblers at the exit of each flyover around Tumkur town. Once you get past the Chitradurga toll post the roads all the way to Hubli is average. By average road conditions (above) I mean the ride is not smooth with a lot of undulations and a few surprise rumblers sprinkeled around the villages. There are also a couple of speed breakers you need to watch out for.

The strech between Hubli to Ponda via Ramnagar is a single lane undivided road. However its a well surfaced and passes through dense greenery. Its a pleasure to drive the Anmod ghat stretch as long as you keep th needle hovering around / below the 80 mark and don't get impatient behind a slow moving truck / bus. There are speed breakers around every village but most of the are well marked and the few that dont have marking have clear road signs. So none should come as a surprise.

Road toll is Rs 550 each way and Goa state entry tax is Rs 250. My Vento TDI consumed around Rs 5,500 worth of diesel including the trips in and around Goa. In all the expense for surface transport is around Rs 6,850 (5500 + 550 + 550 + 250). This is cheaper than return ticket for 2 by a KSRTC Volvo which stands at Rs 7,200 (1,800 x 2 x 2).

The return trip was a good 11 hours 30 minutes due to dense traffic and 3 intermediate stops. The traffic cops were doing a good business of flagging down cars around Davenegree - I saw 3 interceptors interspersed on the strech between Davnagree town and subsequent toll post (towards Bangalore).

Last edited by srikanths1 : 4th February 2017 at 18:38.
srikanths1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 11:07   #3798
RGP
BHPian

There are 4 of us driving from Bangalore to Goa tomorrow in 2 cars. Both cars will have 2 bikes fitted on racks (not the overhead ones), so we are looking for the smoothest route to follow. Any suggestions based on current road conditions?
TIA.
Old 9th February 2017, 12:48   #3799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGP View Post
There are 4 of us driving from Bangalore to Goa tomorrow in 2 cars. Both cars will have 2 bikes fitted on racks (not the overhead ones), so we are looking for the smoothest route to follow. Any suggestions based on current road conditions?
TIA.
Which place in Goa are you guys going? I would recommend you to go via Belgaum - Amboli ghat - Sawantwadi and return via Ponda - Molem - Ramnagar - Dharwad. Both nice drives with fabulous views of ghats.

If you are staying in South Goa, say Palolem, then go via Hubli - Yallapur - Karwar.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 12:49   #3800
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Both cars will have 2 bikes fitted on racks (not the overhead ones), so we are looking for the smoothest route to follow. Any suggestions based on current road conditions?
TIA.
I think Chorala or Anmod are perfectly fine. If you want an effortless cruising on 4 lane highway as much as possible, stick to Bangalore-Belgaum (now NH48) and then Chorala. Gives you more straight-line drive except that city crossing would be little time consuming based on the time you be there.

The mungad-alnavar-anmod has some speed breakers which may make you take frequent breaks to check your cycles on rack and their grips/ ties. But otherwise nothing to be worried as such.
abirnale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 12:52   #3801
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Which place in Goa are you guys going? I would recommend you to go via Belgaum - Amboli ghat - Sawantwadi and return via Ponda - Molem - Ramnagar - Dharwad. Both nice drives with fabulous views of ghats.

If you are staying in South Goa, say Palolem, then go via Hubli - Yallapur - Karwar.
Amboli is certainly an unwanted long route for someone driving from Bangalore Fauji. Unless one wants to spend extra time on roads before reaching Goa. The fact that you will hit NH17 only above Goa (Sawantwadi) and then drive down to enter Goa from North to reach your destination.

It is a scenic route no doubt but Anmod Option is indeed the route here that they need to stick to. Or otherwise if it's south Goa, then th Kalhatgi Karwar option.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 12:52   #3802
RGP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Which place in Goa are you guys going?
Thanks. We are going to Panaji.
Our priority is a smooth drive as we have the bikes hooked up, so the road condition is more important than the scenery.
THe suggested routes seem fine - any recent update on the road conditions?
Old 9th February 2017, 13:05   #3803
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Our priority is a smooth drive as we have the bikes hooked up, so the road condition is more important than the scenery.
For Panaji, take Belgaum Chorla Sanquelim route. The most preferred for Panaji from Bangalore and you will realise that if you only scrolled back and read last 3 to 4 pages right on this thread.

Your other alternative is of course Dharwad Alnavar Ramnagar Mollem Ponda Panaji.

Road conditions of both these routes is excellent and you need not worry. For less curvaceous route, the Mollem route is the one for you.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 14:03   #3804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Amboli is certainly an unwanted long route for someone driving from Bangalore Fauji. Unless one wants to spend extra time on roads before reaching Goa. The fact that you will hit NH17 only above Goa (Sawantwadi) and then drive down to enter Goa from North to reach your destination.

It is a scenic route no doubt but Anmod Option is indeed the route here that they need to stick to. Or otherwise if it's south Goa, then th Kalhatgi Karwar option.
I agree.

Quote:
Then go with what Parag is saying above.
Old 9th February 2017, 14:08   #3805
BHPian

@RGP Others have already replied, just wanted to add that Dharwad--Alnavar--Ramnagar as well as Belgaum--Chorla section have frequent speedbreakers. From the foothills of Chorla ghat, you will encounter frequent speedbreakers again besides narrow roads. If you are really concerned about speedbreakers, take the Dharwad-Ramnagar-Anmod ghat route for more peaceful drive as it has much wider roads and slightly less number of speedbreakers. Only the Dharwad-Ramnagar stretch will give you frequent speedbreakers but further of Ramnagar i. e Ramnagar--Anmod ghat--Mollem section, has nicely laid down rumblers ( noticed during my last week drive ).

Last edited by vivek95 : 9th February 2017 at 14:11.
vivek95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 18:44   #3806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Returned from Goa yesterday.
Noted this section near Ramnagar from your post when I prepared the itinerary.

Visited Goa by end of January, it was a pleasant journey except the annoying behavior of the Toll booth staffs (at 4-5 places) trying to fool drivers while returning balance.

Have a habit of cross checking each penny before moving the vehicle an inch even if traffic is building up, it really helped.
Scorpion 10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 09:55   #3807
BHPian

Hi, I am driving to Old Goa next week.

Is Chorla route more curvaceous than Mollem route? Our previous trip was through the Mollem route and we found it to be extremely curvy and was planning to try the Chorla route this time around.

Also for Chorla route do I have to go till Belagavi? Google shows a left turn from MK Hubli some 30 kms before Belagavi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
For Panaji, take Belgaum Chorla Sanquelim route. The most preferred for Panaji from Bangalore and you will realise that if you only scrolled back and read last 3 to 4 pages right on this thread.

Your other alternative is of course Dharwad Alnavar Ramnagar Mollem Ponda Panaji.

Road conditions of both these routes is excellent and you need not worry. For less curvaceous route, the Mollem route is the one for you.
Old 24th February 2017, 10:08   #3808
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Is Chorla route more curvaceous than Mollem route?
Chorla is more curvy, have absolutely no doubt about that. Plus, Chorla is narrower than the Mollem route which is also fast compared to Chorla.

However, Chorla will have less freight traffic compared to Mollem.

Quote:
Our previous trip was through the Mollem route and we found it to be extremely curvy and was planning to try the Chorla route this time around.
For the sake of trying a different route and for a fact that Chorla route makes better sense to reach Old Goa you can indeed take Chorla.

Quote:
Also for Chorla route do I have to go till Belagavi? Google shows a left turn from MK Hubli some 30 kms before Belagavi.
There are multiple options:
  • Via Belagavi - Works best if you want to take a break here for lunch, crossing Belagavi is going to add time but still not that bad today
  • Via MK Hubli - This avoids Belagavi and hits Jamboti on Chorla route that you otherwise would pass when do via Belagavi

Based on the time of your departure, your necessity for breaks, you can decide between the 2.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 13:48   #3809
BHPian

What would be the best route to North Goa (Vagatore) from Bangalore ?
Old 12th March 2017, 11:23   #3810
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
What would be the best route to North Goa (Vagatore) from Bangalore ?
The straight one would be Hubli-Belgaum-Chorla-Mapusa-Vagator. Gives you good option to break in Belgaum before you head into ghats.

Most Viewed