Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2018, 12:13   #4081
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
The alternate road via Bankapura - Mungod if not very good is very scenic and lonely and at times, quite narrow. Not each of will like it but at the same time not each one would hate it too.
Thanks!! I have done this route about a couple of years back when the road was narrow and one had to almost get off the road to let an oncoming vehicle pass. But there was hardly any traffic and super scenic view. Wanted to know the present road condition from bankapur to yellapur? Also, which will be faster, time-wise?
Old 4th April 2018, 13:14   #4082
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Thanks!! I have done this route about a couple of years back when the road was narrow and one had to almost get off the road to let an oncoming vehicle pass.
This is still the case even today. No changes there.

Quote:
Wanted to know the present road condition from bankapur to yellapur?
The overall condition is 'Good'. There are small sections that are uneven and patchy but this should not be the reason to skip this.

Quote:
Also, which will be faster, time-wise?
Quoting my own post when I had done some assessment if this is really a time saver or not:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

The Mungod Route:

It is indeed a time saver. Sample this, we turned right at Yellapura exactly at 1522 Hours by the clock and hit NH4 at Shiggaon at 1630 Hours. This is almost 70 mins with very sedate driving (say 70kmph max) as daughter was sleeping and it was a new road, narrow with few sudden turns and small speedbreakers. I don’t think if one takes Yellapura – Hubli Bypass – NH4 route, you can reach any faster to Shiggaon where we joined NH4.

The petty speedbreakers here at few villages should not bother you at all. None of these are car breakers! If you miss them, you can still pass them over without breaking a Bone or a suspension component. Anyway, you will hardly be able to do anything more than 70-80 kmph as the roads is less in wider and you will hardly get a straight stretch to belt some good speeds.

Should you take this deviation at all ?

Well, my answer would be a firm YES if you are looking for a calmer, scenic & definitely FASTER option to hit Yellapura from Bangalore.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 14:41   #4083
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

thanks again!!
Will exit NH4 at delhi darbar and take the bankapur > yellapur> karwar route. This is AS onward journey is always more exciting and mind is receptive to explore. On the return leg, will come via the usual hubli route.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 20:08   #4084
Senior - BHPian

Need some information on the Shimoga-Sagar-Honnavar-Goa route. Is this route still in good shape? Did any BHPian try it recently?
My plans are to visit Belur-Halebeedu on 2-3rd May, reach Kadur and then via Shimoga take above route.
If this route is bad, please suggest any alternate route as well from Belur-Halebeedu to reach Goa. I need to be there on 4th evening.
Old 10th April 2018, 23:44   #4085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Need some information on the Shimoga-Sagar-Honnavar-Goa route. Is this route still in good shape? Did any BHPian try it recently?
My plans are to visit Belur-Halebeedu on 2-3rd May, reach Kadur and then via Shimoga take above route.
If this route is bad, please suggest any alternate route as well from Belur-Halebeedu to reach Goa. I need to be there on 4th evening.
There are no issues with the route but one thing which you need to worry is about the traffic between Kadur and Shimogga.

After Jog Cross almost till you reach Gersoppa the road is narrow and bit patchy.

Post Honnavar roads are nice, however be prepared to face lot of truck traffic till Ankola and then its all ice on the cake.
meetbadri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2018, 12:01   #4086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaymishra View Post
Alert and a Question though!
I traveled from Bangalore to North Goa yesterday, started at 05:10 AM and reached Hotel/Apartment at 02:30 PM.
After entering GOA about 15 mins from the entry point there was the traffic police team with the speed Gun and while I thought I was traveling at a very descent speed I was booked at going 4KMPH more than the prescribed limit of 60Kmph.
They charged me for over-speeding and confiscated driving License giving some reasons that I never understood.
Question
1. Is there any tolerance limit as to what speed over prescribed limit is allowed (ex. I was told in US you can go 10% over the speed limit)
2. Why confiscating of driving license? they told it will be sent to Bangalore RTO in a weeks time and I can collect from there. They gave an acknowledgement receipt.
Update :- I am visiting Bangalore RTO office almost daily and still awaiting my license to be sent by Goa Traffic Police. I was told by the Indira Nagar RTO that once they receive the DL they will put for suspension. All these trouble for going slightly higher than the limit. What should I/we learn from this?
Old 21st April 2018, 22:10   #4087
Senior - BHPian

I am planning a trip to Goa next month. Google maps shows the usual route with Anmod and Mollem. I see the the road between these two seems to be a forest reserve. Are there any time restrictions for this road. Do they close the road at night in case I happen to cross this after sunset.
Old 21st April 2018, 22:32   #4088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaymishra View Post
Alert and a Question though!

They charged me for over-speeding and confiscated driving License giving some reasons that I never understood.
Question
1. Is there any tolerance limit as to what speed over prescribed limit is allowed (ex. I was told in US you can go 10% over the speed limit)
2. Why confiscating of driving license? they told it will be sent to Bangalore RTO in a weeks time and I can collect from there. They gave an acknowledgement receipt.
Not really answering your question, but 3 weeks back I was stopped on the Silk Board > Electronic City elevated expressway. The speed limit is 80kmph and I was going at 83 kmph.
They still fined me Rs 300/- , But that was it I was let go.
No confiscation of license or anything. He said the Speed gun showed that my speed was 83.
Fillmore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2018, 17:38   #4089
BHPian

A word of caution to all those who are planning to visit Goa, the locals are really disappointed with the tourists as they don't bother maintaining cleanliness and litter the places they visit and are also reckless. So much so, the guides and the locals in general mock and make pun of the tourists directly. They are also becoming intolerant towards tourists as they disregard the place. So, the cops are extra vigilant towards those automobiles that are bearing non-Goan registration plates. Also, this is due to a lot of them entering Goa without proper documentation and drive the way they drive in their own neighborhoods causing traffic jams and chaos within the city. Cheers and enjoy the sun
Old 23rd April 2018, 13:03   #4090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumzup View Post
A word of caution to all those who are planning to visit Goa, the locals are really disappointed with the tourists as they don't bother maintaining cleanliness and litter the places they visit and are also reckless. So much so, the guides and the locals in general mock and make pun of the tourists directly. They are also becoming intolerant towards tourists as they disregard the place. So, the cops are extra vigilant towards those automobiles that are bearing non-Goan registration plates. Also, this is due to a lot of them entering Goa without proper documentation and drive the way they drive in their own neighborhoods causing traffic jams and chaos within the city. Cheers and enjoy the sun
I second this, last month i was in south Goa with my partner and faced similar treatment. The locals are intolerant to people in beach wear in their neighbour and some even openly commented "will you roam like this in your place". Beware of local sentiments and maintain discretion.
Old 23rd April 2018, 21:12   #4091
BHPian

Planning to go to Goa for the long weekend. All these years I've taken Bangalore-Belgaum-jamboti-cholra ghat route. Since North goa was on the agenda always and then south goa for a day. This time I'm planning to spend 2 days in South goa and I'm Keen to come via the konkan route, any suggestions?
Old 23rd April 2018, 21:19   #4092
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhansali_hardik View Post
This time I'm planning to spend 2 days in South goa and I'm Keen to come via the konkan route, any suggestions?
Take the Hubli-Dharwad-Ramnagar-Londa route onwards and return via the Karwar-Hubli route.
Old 23rd April 2018, 21:47   #4093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Take the Hubli-Dharwad-Ramnagar-Londa route onwards and return via the Karwar-Hubli route.
Can you tell where post londa, through mollem, ponda and then panji? And also for the return could you point out a few pins to follow on maps
Old 24th April 2018, 02:50   #4094
NKN
BHPian

Will be driving with family from Bangalore( Rajaji Nagar)- Goa(Benaulim) next week. What is the best route to take, Google maps is providing only 1 option, BLR- Tmkr- Davengare-Dudhsagar- Varca. Is this the best option as it looks like a considerable amount of ghat section before reaching Goa
The plan is to start early at 2:30- 3:00 am with me driving most of the way and wife taking over while i rest for a couple of hours in the morning, what are some good restaurants to stop by for breaks especially with kids
Old 24th April 2018, 11:31   #4095
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhansali_hardik View Post
Can you tell where post londa, through mollem, ponda and then panji? And also for the return could you point out a few pins to follow on maps
Take the Mollem-Ponda route, but if you're heading to south goa, you can avoid going to Panaji and deviate after Borim towards Camorlim as shown in below map where @NKN is headed to Benaulim, you can go further south on NH 66 if you're going to Agonda, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKN View Post
Will be driving with family from Bangalore( Rajaji Nagar)- Goa(Benaulim) next week. What is the best route to take, Google maps is providing only 1 option, BLR- Tmkr- Davengare-Dudhsagar- Varca. Is this the best option as it looks like a considerable amount of ghat section before reaching Goa
The plan is to start early at 2:30- 3:00 am with me driving most of the way and wife taking over while i rest for a couple of hours in the morning, what are some good restaurants to stop by for breaks especially with kids
You can take the Dharwad route onwards and return via Karwar (or take the same route back).
Onward route - Link

With a 3am start, you will have daylight by the time you reach Anmod ghats, shouldn't be an issue.

*Restaurants may be an issue on this route with your 3am start, maybe you can try Dudhsagar resort.
Alternatively, take the Hubli-Yellapura route and you have some options in Yellapura like Shanbhag, etc, maybe even Banana County resort a small deviation away from the main road.

Last edited by NPV : 24th April 2018 at 11:37.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed