Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2018, 22:51   #4111
BHPian

For my return to Bangalore from South Goa, Google is suggesting the following route, seems to be the shortest time wise, seems like a preferred route suggested in this thread too, right?

For the best route in current traffic visit https://goo.gl/maps/sf2HWpHZQMP2

Last edited by anandtheleo : 8th May 2018 at 22:52.
Old 9th May 2018, 07:28   #4112
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
Please can you mention the locations for Speed Guns? Were this around cities or on Tolled expressways?
1. Near Kamat Upachar, Varur
2. Some 20 Kms before Haveri
3. Their favorite spot - near Davangere
4. Around Chitradurga
5. Near Sira

I did not spot any gun in Goa though.
Old 9th May 2018, 07:39   #4113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Left Chennai at 6PM on 30th April and reached Goa yesterday morning around 10:30AM (Door to door distance was 980km). No police checks anywhere en-route in KA, perhaps because we drove through in the thick of the night and exited at day break. Stuck to speed limits in Ghat section and after entering Goa as well, there were police checks at 2 to 3 places, but wasn't stopped anywhere.
Return trip: Left Goa at 9PM on 5th April & reached Chennai around 1PM on Sunday. Took the Anmod route, no speed guns nothing for the entire stretch, but for couple of police checks at Goa/KA border.
Old 9th May 2018, 13:26   #4114
BHPian

Planning Goa trip for around a week starting May 15. I will be leaving Bangalore and will stay in Dharwad for couple of days. The first place to visit will be Palolem and after a couple of days in North Goa. My wife and son will accompany me.

1. I will be taking my new i20 for my travel. Will there be frequent checks for non Goa registered cars?
2. I do not yet have my RC and PUC. Are they mandatory for a new car in Goa? I do have the insurance, DL, tax receipt and invoice.
3. How about car parking facilities in resorts around Palolem?

Any pointers / suggestions welcome
Old 9th May 2018, 14:43   #4115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Planning Goa trip for around a week starting May 15. I will be leaving Bangalore and will stay in Dharwad for couple of days. The first place to visit will be Palolem and after a couple of days in North Goa. My wife and son will accompany me.

1. I will be taking my new i20 for my travel. Will there be frequent checks for non Goa registered cars?
2. I do not yet have my RC and PUC. Are they mandatory for a new car in Goa? I do have the insurance, DL, tax receipt and invoice.
3. How about car parking facilities in resorts around Palolem?

Any pointers / suggestions welcome
Congrats on the new car!!
1. I was checked only once when I went in January and that too I was asked only my license
2. I suppose it is a risk to go without the original RC especially out of state as you never know how the cops might behave. I personally will not travel out of state without original RC, but again, I am risk averse :-)
3. Leave it to others to answer as I have no experience there
Old 10th May 2018, 15:25   #4116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post

I did not spot any gun in Goa though.
Returned from Goa via Anmod route. Spotted a speed gun for vehicles towards Goa around here:

https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/...2!4d74.1727003

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
They mainly check PUC because that is the one document that is usually forgotten
Old 21st May 2018, 08:38   #4117
Senior - BHPian

Just returned from Goa. Encountered no speed checks or other cops on the way. On the return I was stopped and all papers checked just outside Hubbali.
Old 21st May 2018, 11:24   #4118
BHPian

Left Bangalore yesterday at 5.00 am. Left Bellandur and took the Ring Road to Tumkur Road junction and then turned right on the Highway. The Ring road between Hebbal and Tumkur Road was pretty crowded at that time too and turning right on Tumkur road was horrible mess.

Rest of the road was pretty clear - being a Sunday morning - and all Fastag lanes worked on all toll booths.

Reached Hubbali and took a left to Yellapur on the highway. There is short private toll road before you hit NH 53 all the way to Karwar. From Karwar, the road into South Goa is under construction and patchy all over till you get in to Goa.

No decent joints after Hubbali. Even otherwise this road is sparse with good joints unlike Mysore Road, Old Madras Road etc.

With multiple stops for coffee, breakfast, lunch etc. given the kids, we reached the Hotel by 3.00 pm. Altogether 620 kms covered.

No checks of speed guns on the way. Perhaps being a Sunday.
Old 22nd May 2018, 08:29   #4119
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangalore - Goa(Colva) - Bangalore:

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-maps.jpg

Onward:
Bangalore - Hubli - Dharwad - Aravatagi - Anmod - Goa (Colva)
  • Roads are good all through except one or two places where some road construction work was going on.
  • 4 level crossings and I got stuck in 3 of them
  • Almost no eateries on the Dharwad - Goa stretch.
  • I started from Bannerghatta road at 2:45 AM and reached Colva by 10:45 AM
Some construction work going on, this is after few Kms from Dharwad

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_20180518_082107508.jpg

Some nice 2L roads
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-1.jpg

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-1a.jpg

Return:
Goa (Colva) - Karwar - Ankola - Yellapur - Mundgod - Bankapur - Haveri - Bangalore
  • Roads are good minus the 4L construction work around Karwar, but this doesn't slow you down though.
  • Till Karwar its little traffic heavy.
  • Ankola - Yellapur is a wide 2L stretch and it was fast.
  • Yellapur - Mundog is a narrow 2L stretch with nil traffic. I loved this stretch
  • Saw couple of AC hotels in Yellapur, otherwise didn't see much options.
  • Spotted at least 4-5 speed guns after Haveri, they were not stopping the vehicles though.
  • I started from Colva around 11:15 AM and reached Bannerghatta road by 9:30 PM. It was traffic heavy post Tumkur.
4L construction around Karwar
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_20180520_123739803.jpg

On the Ankola - Yellapur stretch
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-1b.jpg

Yellapur - Mundog
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-2.jpg
arun_josie is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 21:28   #4120
BHPian

Gens - Off to a family vacation to Goa this Thursday. We will be staying at Panjim.

Please can you suggest the apt route that I take.

Many Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 05:04   #4121
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarter Mile View Post
Gens - Off to a family vacation to Goa this Thursday. We will be staying at Panjim.

Please can you suggest the apt route that I take.

Many Thanks
Take Hubli Alnavar Ramnagar Mollem Ponda route.

The other choice is to do via Chorla but given the fact that the first route above is now immensely popular for those driving from Bangalore, stick to that to avoid any confusion.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 12:50   #4122
BHPian

I had a vacation planned with my family, in Gavi and Alleppey in the middle of June. All bookings done long time back as well. However, the situation in Kerala has made us put off those plans. Briefly considered going to Ooty as an alternate destination but then, we've been to Ooty a number of times in the last few years.

Luckily we had some rooms available in Goa (Club Mahindra) and I wasted no time in booking them. Did not want to end up not going anywhere after having planned a road trip for quite some time! Besides, a road trip to Goa has been on my mind for a number of years.

It'll be a 3 night / 4 day stay in Goa. I am planning to start from Bangalore on a weekday evening, halt at Sankama Hotel at Devangere overnight and reach Goa the following day. While returning I might just drive back in a single day, with breaks for lunch / tea.

Will be staying in Colva so the best route I think would be the one via "Hubli-Alnavar-Ramnagar-Mollem-Ponda". I can see from the recent posts that the roads are in good condition on this route.

I need some recommendations for a good place for tea/lunch break, with clean washrooms:
1. Between Bangalore and Devangere
2. Between Hubli and Colva
red.devil_19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 21:48   #4123
Senior - BHPian

Visited Goa on 14th June for a family function. Returned today. Took Anmod route both ways. Some updates.

1. Route is nice as usual except for a couple of huge craters in ghat sections on Karnataka side. They are really big and could not judge the depth since they were filled with muddy water. Only one side of the road was a bit driveable around the craters by making sure none of the wheels fall inside.
2. The rains are on but not continuous, some fog in the ghat section even at 8AM.
3. Speed gun seen on the Mollem-Ponda route, make sure to remain at 60KMPH in that section. Also keep all the papers ready since there was random check.
4. People have started stopping and clicking snaps/selfies in the ghat section. Be careful since there is a lot of non-disciplined behavior seen from many people. e.g. wrong side parking, occupying the narrow road with parked cars etc.

Anmod route is still very much recommended for south Goa.
rajivtelang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 22:46   #4124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post

1. Route is nice as usual except for a couple of huge craters in ghat sections on Karnataka side. They are really big and could not judge the depth since they were filled with muddy water. Only one side of the road was a bit driveable around the craters by making sure none of the wheels fall inside..
Thanks for the update

What's with these interior national highways, NH4-A in this case ? It's just 2 years since the road was repaired and craters have already started cropping up. The Belgaum--Chorla ghat--Goa road which was built in early 2013 continues to remain in absolute pristine condition. Not a single pothole, let alone crater, as of last month when I drove down. Since I constantly keep a tab on this road, I know for sure that the Chorla road has not undergone any major repair until now. KRDCL Karnataka truly did a brilliant job 5 years ago
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 11:01   #4125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
What's with these interior national highways, NH4-A in this case ? It's just 2 years since the road was repaired and craters have already started cropping up.
Goa side of ghat remains excellent as usual. Even the tar looks much better. Not sure if they have secondary grade used on KA side.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks