Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2009, 17:27   #406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
Thanks guys for all the help. Did Bang-Hubli-Belgaum-Sawantwadi via Amboli ghats-Goa, and back and except for maybe a few km before sawantwadi, roads were excellent. Great drive. Going and coming took approax 11 hrs each way, and was 690 km. BTW got 17kmpl in my Laura [AT]- fantastic huh? Never got this much before - so its a sign of good roads I presume?

Also came back via dobspet, doddbalapur, yelahanka. Thanks Kumar.
Fantastic FE for an AT. from where to where did you measure 690Kms??
GD
Old 25th March 2009, 23:30   #407
Senior - BHPian

Kumar Sir and Spitfire can you please tell me where exactly is the chorla ghat situated in the first map. I was thinking of taking this route as it seemed shorter than the gadinglaj, ajra, amboli ghat, swantwadi route. I would have thought Chorla Ghats were somewhere on the Khanapur, jamboti, bicholim, mapus route since there is a chorla mentioned on it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1175428

[quote=hvkumar;1175453]The route in the first map is the Chorla Ghat route which Spitfire says should be taken if "you are riding a elephant". But even that route is apparently in a good condition now.
quote]
Old 26th March 2009, 00:42   #408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Then you'll love this stretch. Especially from Sagar to Honnavar and from there to Goa....beautiful stretch of road there!
Nope, Sagar to Honnavar, not that great. Sagar to Jog is in good shape but Jog to Honnavar was not that great shape, specially the road is still narrow and the have broken sides in places.Shimoga to Sagar was in OK condition. I did this during January end this year.
Old 26th March 2009, 11:04   #409
Senior - BHPian

hmm guess the roads been the same way for a while...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Nope, Sagar to Honnavar, not that great. Sagar to Jog is in good shape but Jog to Honnavar was not that great shape, specially the road is still narrow and the have broken sides in places.Shimoga to Sagar was in OK condition. I did this during January end this year.
Old 26th March 2009, 11:09   #410
Senior - BHPian

Ravi,

Bangalore - Tumkur - Haveri - Sirsi - Kumta - Karwar - Goa : bit hot weather (Tumkur - Sirsi) but you get more 4 lane roads.

How long this route might take doing a decent speeds? and does this route has bad patches?

I know the route via honavara very well am sure it would take some time because of bad patches...lots of winding roads and also narrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
I suggest choose between

Bangalore - Tumkur - Shimoga - TaalGuppa - Siddapura - Sirsi - Kumta - Karwar - Goa : not so hot climate you will pass and good road but would take extra time if you prefer to slow down in curvey roads as this route has more of curvey roads around sagara-kumta. there is direct road to Kumta from siddapura but road was bad 3 years back and I didn't heard of road repair yet.

or Bangalore - Tumkur - Shimoga - TaalGuppa - Jog Falls - Honnvara - Kumta - Karwar - Goa : not so hot climate you will pass and good road but would take extra time if you prefer to slow down in curvey roads as this route has more of curvey roads around sagara - honnavara.

or Bangalore - Tumkur - Haveri - Sirsi - Kumta - Karwar - Goa : bit hot weather (Tumkur - Sirsi) but you get more 4 lane roads.

Distance wise same but via haveri you can save 1 hr. time for sure. If you prefer to use AC take via haveri else If don't like AC usage take via shimoga.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 26th March 2009, 11:30   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Ravi,

Bangalore - Tumkur - Haveri - Sirsi - Kumta - Karwar - Goa : bit hot weather (Tumkur - Sirsi) but you get more 4 lane roads.

How long this route might take doing a decent speeds? and does this route has bad patches?

I know the route via honavara very well am sure it would take some time because of bad patches...lots of winding roads and also narrow.
I did this route last year during monsoon. That time the condition of road from Mirajan till Goa was very bad. Still I could complete it in 13 hours including break of one and half hours. And yes it was done at a comfortable speed. I'm grateful to Abhi and Ravibhatt for suggesting this route as driving on those rural road of Sirsi and ghat road is an awesome experience.
Old 26th March 2009, 11:44   #412
Senior - BHPian

Javed, thanks for the info..

AM used to Sirsi - Mirjan have done that route many times...last November when i took that route felt it has deteriorated a bit. yes this stretch takes time.
Old 26th March 2009, 11:48   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed, the roads are not that great between Sagar-Honnavar. But its a beautiful ride/drive!

@Lohit: If you're riding, the bad roads won't be too much of a bother. I started at 5.30AM and was in a hotel in Madgaon by about 7.30PM so about 14hours (with ample breaks in between) in total spent for about 650+ kms is pretty okayish time!
Old 26th March 2009, 12:10   #414
Senior - BHPian

Praful, am driving. yes i will take this route anyday if am riding
Old 26th March 2009, 15:05   #415
Senior - BHPian

BTW, one more thing, they were doing widening work in Sirsi to Haveri section, so there were small ditches by the side of the most of time on that route. So I fear that now they may be doing the same thing to Sirsi-Mirjan section :-(
Old 27th March 2009, 02:15   #416
BHPian

Quote:
So I fear that now they may be doing the same thing to Sirsi-Mirjan section :-(
I doubt this Kaushik. The Sirsi-Mirjan section (devimane ghat) is quite broad and 2 vehicles can easily pass-by.
It is not under repair.. It is in fair condition.
Old 29th March 2009, 17:49   #417
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Fantastic FE for an AT. from where to where did you measure 690Kms??
GD
Indiranagar to Arpora
Old 29th March 2009, 19:47   #418
Senior - BHPian

Update Between Haveri - Goa:

1. Haveri - Sirsi = 73km would take around 90 minutes, decent speeds with 10 min break.
2. Sirsi - Devimane ghat - mirjan - Ankola = 90 need around 2 hours with 10 min break.
3. Ankola - Karwar - Panaji = 150km you can cruise in 4 hours with 30 min. break.

There are bad patches in between but not much hardly 1km at a time.

Bangalore to Haveri (335km) I feel one can cruise in 5 to 7 hours based on their ability with 30 min break.

Ravi.
Old 1st April 2009, 09:49   #419
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot Ravi for the updates, I am planning to take same route to Goa on 9th April with my little Santro.

Is there a landmark on NH-4 at Haveri for making a turn for Sirsi? I heard this patch of NH-4 is quite outside from the older highway with incomplete road work and least boards showing distances or route information. Thanks.

-Rajiv Telang
Old 1st April 2009, 11:00   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Thanks a lot Ravi for the updates, I am planning to take same route to Goa on 9th April with my little Santro.

Is there a landmark on NH-4 at Haveri for making a turn for Sirsi? I heard this patch of NH-4 is quite outside from the older highway with incomplete road work and least boards showing distances or route information. Thanks.

-Rajiv Telang
Enter Haveri town and the first big junction (with a police man), you turn left. It is also next to the bus stand.

Now the Haveri bypass also bisects the Haveri-Sirsi road, but I don't recollect seeing either an intersection or an underpass in the bypass, but am sure that there must be a turn off in the bypass also, which goes to the west of the Haveri town in the South-North direction (and the Sirsi road should bisect it in the East-West direction)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks