Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 7th October 2019, 09:30   #4576
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Returned after a Bangalore-South Goa (Cavelossim)-Bangalore trip.

Thanks for the forum. I took following route per suggestions. These matched our taste of travel as well.

Bangalore- Goa (02nd oct)
Took Bangalore(Hosakote)-Chitradurga-Shimoga-Sagara-Jog Falls-Honnavara-Karwar-Cavelossim
Started at 0530Hrs (took 1.5Hrs to hit peenya highway), Took a breakfast break before Chitradurga. Post Chitradurga, its 2 line road, but quality is mostly good. 45 mins stop at Jog Falls. Post that till Honnavara the roads decent for the monsoon that passed by.
Took a power nap & short snack break in between. Once you hit NH44 (old NH 17), the roads are good, though there are diversions due to 4 lane work in progress.
Reached Cavelossim by 1730 Hrs.
Total time 12 hours; Travel time Under 10 Hrs.

Note: Fuel stations are scarce once you leave Sagar and until you hit NH44, so plan your fuelling accordingly.

Goa-Bangalore (05th Oct)
Took Cavelossim-Karwar-Yellapur-Kalghatgi-Tadas-Chitradurga-Bangalore.
Started at 1300Hrs, Had heavy down pour and slow moving truck traffic as we went up the Yellapur ghat section. However, the entire stretch till you hit NH48 (old NH4) is scenic. Took a snack break near Kalghatgi. Once you hit highway and till you go past Chitradurga, the Six lane work in annoying & stressful (heavy trucks, diversions, speed breakers). Took a dinner break at "Hotel Sarvodaya", ~10kms after Chitradurga. I'd recommend this hotel- Courteous, Clean and good food. Hit Yeshwantpur by 2310Hrs and reached home (Hosakote) by 0010 Hrs.
Total time 11 Hr 10 mins; Travel time Under 09 Hrs 30mins.

Last edited by murajith : 7th October 2019 at 09:31.
murajith is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 16:57   #4577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murajith View Post
Returned after a Bangalore-South Goa (Cavelossim)-Bangalore trip.
Hi, I am planning to drive down to Goa in the 2nd week of Nov. This is the first time I am driving to Goa and the recent flooding in north Karnataka and Goa area has made a little nervous since I will be travelling with my wife and 3yr old kid and I am the only driver. Hence looking at the best route to Goa. I will be taking a stop at Jog waterfalls and continue the next day to Goa otherwise it will be a bit tiring for the kid. While returning also I plan to take a stop somewhere but may not be Jog since I have already covered it. Somewhere about half the distance between Goa and Bangalore would be ideal. So is there any difference between Route1 and Route2 which you took? Which one is better? There is also another section which goes through the ghat section (Chorla Ghat). Is that option safe to take. Please comment on road conditions in that stretch

Last edited by ampere : 10th October 2019 at 19:00. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 7th October 2019, 18:07   #4578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adutta2k View Post
Hi, I am planning to drive down to Goa in the 2nd week of Nov. This is the first time I am driving to Goa and the recent flooding in north Karnataka and Goa area has made a little nervous since I will be travelling with my wife and 3yr old kid and I am the only driver. Hence looking at the best route to Goa. I will be taking a stop at Jog waterfalls and continue the next day to Goa otherwise it will be a bit tiring for the kid. While returning also I plan to take a stop somewhere but may not be Jog since I have already covered it. Somewhere about half the distance between Goa and Bangalore would be ideal. So is there any difference between Route1 and Route2 which you took? Which one is better? There is also another section which goes through the ghat section (Chorla Ghat). Is that option safe to take. Please comment on road conditions in that stretch
Sir, What is your destination in Goa?

Lot of things depend on your destination.
Old 7th October 2019, 18:46   #4579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
Sir, What is your destination in Goa?

Lot of things depend on your destination.
I am planning to go to Palolem
Old 7th October 2019, 19:41   #4580
BHPian

Quote:
If you are looking for a stop in Jog you can plan for onward route as

Bengaluru --> Tumkur --> Hiriyur --> Tarikere --> Shimoga --> Sagar --> Jog --> Honnavar --> Kumta --> Ankola --> Palolem.

While returning back you can take left at Ankola towards Yellapur and take a rest at Davangere. Route would be as follows.

Palolem --> Karwar --> Ankola --> Yellapur --> Hubli --> Haveri --> Davangere --> Chitradurga --> Tumkur --> Bengaluru.

Yellapur was the place which was most affected with the flood however, the roads are in drive-able condition and can be done with a normal hatch or sedan.
meetbadri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 16:22   #4581

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I guess for south Goa, the best option is still Hubli-Ankola-Karwar. Thats clean and hassle free.
Based on Amp's feedback, I returned to Goa to Bangalore today via the route he recommenced. Which is South Goa (Colva) - Karwar - Ankola - Yellapur - Kalaghatgi - Hubli - Bangalore.

I left at 6:30am from near Colva and reached Hubli bypass by 9:45am and Nelmangala toll by 2:45pm.

A big Thank You to Ampere.
Old 8th October 2019, 16:46   #4582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakirank View Post
No, this road is open and you can use it.
Incredibly useful response, if ever there was one. Thank you for very clearly outlining the road conditions. Because of your inputs, I have cancelled my Goa vacation and will be looking for somewhere else. Thanks again.
Old 8th October 2019, 18:41   #4583

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTJ View Post
Based on Amp's feedback, I returned to Goa to Bangalore today via the route he recommenced. Which is South Goa (Colva) - Karwar - Ankola - Yellapur - Kalaghatgi - Hubli - Bangalore.

I left at 6:30am from near Colva and reached Hubli bypass by 9:45am and Nelmangala toll by 2:45pm.

A big Thank You to Ampere.
I forgot to add the details of the road conditions. Here you go.

Colva - Karwar: Typical Goa roads, except that they are patchy here and there, but the single lane slows you down more than the road surface.

Karwar - Ankola: Road condition is better, but there is some 4-laning going on and there are deviations along the route, but this does not slow you down.

Ankola - Yellapur - Kalagatgi: The road conditions are by far the best compared to the Kalaghatgi - Castle Rocks route OR the Khanapur - Chorla ghats route.

There are rough sections in the Arabail ghats where the road surface is peeled off because of excessive usage by trucks. But this is heaven compared to the other route options at this time.

Kalaghatgi - Hubli: Except for the road work going on in Kalaghatgi town, the rest of the road is pretty good compared to the other route options.

Hope this helps someone who is looking for the reliable, safe & possibly fastest (not necessarily shortest) to get to South Goa.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th October 2019 at 09:58. Reason: Typo
GOTJ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 22:20   #4584
BHPian

Hi friends,

Just returned after a 4 days trip to North Goa (Baga). After carefully going through the recent travelogues here , I made my own assessment and set off accordingly !

ONWARD : Bangalore-Hiriyur-Tarikere-Shimoga-Honnavar-Karwar-Ankola-Panjim-Baga.

Start : 4.45AM Arrival : 6.00 PM ( 2 pit stops of approx 1hr total)

Bangalore - Hiriyur : Good going , and best to use maximum possible speed to make up time.

Hiriyur - Tarikere-Shimoga : The left exit at Hiriyur is a little tricky, and you need to take the 3rd one, which exits into the service road, continue till you get a signal showing left to Hosadurga. This road stretch was good but a single road , with decent traffic .

Shimoga - Honnavar : Other than some congestion at Shimoga , a good single road highway, with pockets of heavy traffic .

Honnavar - Karwar : NH66 on paper, but not really worthy of an NH. Interspersed with Potholes and diversions as road widening /laning in progress.

Karwar - Baga : This stretch really tested our patience. 125 km needed 3.25 hrs to cross !!! Traffic inside Goa, narrow highway, flyover works around Mudgaon and Panjim !

All in all a gross miscalculation on my part !

RETURN : Baga-Chorla-Khanapur-Bidi-Kittur-NH 48 - Bangalore.

Start : 6.00 AM Arrival : 4 PM ( 2 pit stops of approx 1hr total)

Baga - CHorla : Except for some small portions , very good roads and the ghat section was a breeze in my Terrano.
CHorla - Khanapur : Again, good road, except for 3-4 km stretch of pitted road.
Khanapur - Kittur : Good roads again, with very few bad patches.

Kittur - Bangalore (NH 48) : The diversions between Hubli and Chitradurga were irritating, but overall was smooth and an average speed of 80 - 100kmph was possible.

CONCLUSION : Avoid crossing Panjim diring your onward or return, and you can make good time. Chorla route is definitely the best route , IMO, for North Goa.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th October 2019 at 11:24. Reason: Removing additional spacing for improved readability
Old 8th October 2019, 22:23   #4585
BHPian

Quote:
There is also another section which goes through the ghat section (Chorla Ghat). Is that option safe to take. Please comment on road conditions in that stretch

I just reached Bangalore after starting off from Baga , via Chorla. Its good and safe, with very less traffic , and the road condition is great ( barring small patches on the ghat, and then onwards to NH48) .
Old 8th October 2019, 22:25   #4586
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
Avoid crossing Panjim diring your onward or return, and you can make good time. Chorla route is definitely the best route , IMO, for North Goa.
This is the precise reason why south and north Goa destination suggest different routes. One via Karwar while the other via Chorla/Ponda/Amboli etc.

Last edited by ampere : 8th October 2019 at 22:47.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 08:53   #4587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTJ View Post
Colva - Karwar : Typical Goa roads, except that they are patchy here and there, but the single lane slows you down more than the road surface.

Karwar - Ankola : Road condition is better, but there is some 4-laning going on and there are deviations along the route, but this does not slow you down.

Ankola - Yellapur - Kalagatgi : The road conditions is by far the best compared to the Kalaghatgi - Castle Rocks route OR the Khanapur - Chorla ghats route.

There are rough sections in the Arabail ghats where the road surface is peeled off because of excessive usage by trucks. But these is heaven compared to the other route options at this time.

Kalaghatgi - Hubli : Except for the road work going on in Kalaghatgi town, rest of the road is pretty good compared to the other route options.

Hope this helps someone who is looking for the reliable, safe & possibly fastest (not necessarily shortest) to get to South Goa.
Quote:
I am planning to go to Palolem
Thanks for the inputs from 'GOTJ'.

Your route should be B'lore - Hubli - Kalaghatgi - Yellapur - Karwar - Palolem.

If you intend to limit your visit only to South Goa then no changes in return route are recommended.

In case you also want to visit North Goa then I would recommend, your itinerary should be such that you need not have to come back to South Goa.

You can drive towards B'lore via Chorla - Kittur - Chitradurga.

The reason behind this recommendation is road condition of NH-66 which is main connecting corridor between Southern & Northern part of Goa.
Ertigiat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 14:26   #4588
BHPian

Hi guys,

Planning Goa on 17th Oct, leaving at about 4 pm and stay overnight somewhere on the way. Traveling with a 2-year-old, and stay is at Calangute. What is the best route to take onward and return? Return is on 20th and would leave goa by 2 pm latest, do not plan to halt during the return leg. Please suggest the best route to take with fewer twisties. Thanks in advance.
Old 10th October 2019, 13:57   #4589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream1188 View Post
Hi guys,

Traveling with a 2-year-old, and stay is at Calangute. What is the best route to take onward and return? Please suggest the best route to take with fewer twisties. Thanks in advance.

Just returned from Baga, hence can say without reservations that you should take the BLR-Chitradurga-Dharwad bye-pass-Kittur-Bidi-Khanapur-Chorla-Calagute. Though there are a few rough patches in Chorla ghat, its not threatening, and the traffic is light throughout . If you want to stop overnight, Hubli would be best, and an early start (7.00 AM) would reach you to Calagute by around 10.30.

You can use the same route back, and you should be in Blr by around midnight.
SAPVEN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 16:05   #4590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream1188 View Post
Hi guys,

Planning Goa on 17th Oct, leaving at about 4 pm and stay overnight somewhere on the way. Traveling with a 2-year-old, and stay is at Calangute. What is the best route to take onward and return? Return is on 20th and would leave goa by 2 pm latest, do not plan to halt during the return leg. Please suggest the best route to take with fewer twisties. Thanks in advance.
Since your destination is Calangute recommended/shortest/probably best route at the moment is Bangalore - Davangere (Halt) - Hubli-Dharwad bypass - Kittur - Chorla - Calangute.

Davangere halt is recommended assuming you live in Easternmost part of Bangalore (Whitefield) and your start time for journey/current road widening work between Chitradurga-Hubli.

Next day if you start by 6 AM, you should be at Calangute around 2 PM.

Return route will also remain unchanged but I will recommend halt between.

Looking at your schedule (traveling alone will account for 4 days, 17/18 return on 20/21), I think flight will be a far better option.

Bangalore to Goa flight

Goa to Bangalore Flight

I have taken liberty to add one more day to your schedule.

You can rent a car when you are in Goa,
Ertigiat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed