Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2019, 08:38   #4711
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
Anmod (via Tinai Ghat)
Posting a screenshot from an FB forum that has details. You can still avoid Tinai ghat and reach Anmod. Check posts in the last few pages for more details.
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-goa1.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalsu View Post
Hubli Bangalore route very tedious
Apparently the number of diversions have reduced to 12 based on recent updates from last week. If palolem is your end destination, would suggest you go via Shimoga if you want to avoid construction in Chitradurga - Hubli stretch. Details from my post in Nov - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post4687119 (Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries)
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 11:10   #4712
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
We will be driving to Goa and our destination is Calangute. Requesting suggestion on routes.

We plan to start on 20 December evening and stay overnight in either Chitradurga or Davanagere. Please suggest hotels in Chitradurga or Davanagere for overnight stay with family.
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-sankama-botique-hotel.jpg

Sankama Boutique Hotel is definitely a popular option to stay when in Davanagere because it also offers excellent access to and from the highway as you can notice in the screenshot with an acceptable detour and a loss of 3 precious minutes . If your requirement is of a decent transit hotel, it fully makes sense to spend your bucks here because even the food tastes better here.

Many BHPians have stayed here ever since this was suggested as an option by Klub_Class few years before.

Last edited by paragsachania : 9th December 2019 at 11:12.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 11:18   #4713
BHPian

Did the return journey yesterday from Anjuna. Did not want to suffer the Anmod Ghat dust again so opted for Anjuna - Karwar - Ankola - Yellapur - Kalghatgi - Tadas - Shiggaon - Bankapur - Nelamangla route. As rakirank mentioned, there are some bad sections in Arabail ghat (usually the mid-sections of curves) but if you take it slow, there is no cause for worry. Kalghatgi has some road works going on but its manageable. I lost a lot of time between Anjuna - Karwar due to Zuari bridge construction and some other deviations. On the other side, the Canacona bypass is open and its a total breeze (reminded me of the time when NICE road used to be level).

Since you are going to Palolem, this route would be the ideal choice IMO as its the shortest and from what I have read and seen, the least damaged.

P.S : I found the diversions from Hubli - Blr to be more leveled and wider than Blr - Hubli. Lost lesser time
Freebird82 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 12:47   #4714
BHPian

Folks- Need to go to South Goa (family, large SUV) in a week. Based on the previous posts - Yellapur-->Ankola-->karwar-->South Goa is the preferred choice. My doubt is how to reach Yellapur from Bangalore.

1. Few years back I had taken Bankapur-->Mundgod-->Yellapur. based on Recent posts- that road is closed (but I also saw one post saying there is a dirt path). If its shorter is it worth? Gmaps seems to suggest this as well

2. I have seen posts for Shiggaon-->Dhundsi-->Tadas-->Kalahatgi-->Yellapur - is this correct? There seem to be very small roads?

3. Go till Hubi-->Take 52 to Kalaghatgi - is this much longer?

So looking for the right choice of the route. Road condition manageable with the SUV.
Old 10th December 2019, 13:10   #4715
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asinghal View Post
So looking for the right choice of the route. Road condition manageable with the SUV.
Going via Hubli is an option, but you have to endure road widening work and diversions between Chitradurga and Hubli.

Alternatively, you can go via Shimoga-Honnavara-Kumta-Ankola-Karwar.
Bangalore-Shimoga can be done via Hiriyur-Hosadurga-Ajjampura-Tarikere-Shimoga or Chitradurga-Shimoga (this has some potholed section of about 20km), not too bad I think.

*Avoid night driving on the Honnavara-Karwar stretch.

Last edited by NPV : 10th December 2019 at 13:11.
Old 10th December 2019, 14:11   #4716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird82 View Post
Just finished Blr - Arpora trip so thought would update on the conditions.

Since Palolem route was too long, took a chance on Hubli - Ramanagar - Anmod - Panjim route. The road is open, about 4 km stretch post Castle Rock is pretty bad with stalled construction leading to totally mud roads, one ways etc. Will take about 30 mins to navigate however I did not come across any grounding/undercarriage scraping. I drove an Elantra just for reference.

Apart from above & the diversions between Hubli-Chitradurga, the roads are very nice throughout. The drive through Alvanar - Ramnagar forests more than make up for the Anmod ghat delay IMO.
Uploaded a few videos capturing the Anmod Ghat route conditions. Hope this is helpful for people deciding on their route options. The videos start just after the Gharli village junction.

Quote:
Folks- Need to go to South Goa (family, large SUV) in a week. Based on the previous posts - Yellapur-->Ankola-->karwar-->South Goa is the preferred choice. My doubt is how to reach Yellapur from Bangalore.

1. Few years back I had taken Bankapur-->Mundgod-->Yellapur. based on Recent posts- that road is closed (but I also saw one post saying there is a dirt path). If its shorter is it worth? Gmaps seems to suggest this as well

2. I have seen posts for Shiggaon-->Dhundsi-->Tadas-->Kalahatgi-->Yellapur - is this correct? There seem to be very small roads?

3. Go till Hubi-->Take 52 to Kalaghatgi - is this much longer?

Option 2 is correct. Between Tadas & Kalghatgi you have Village roads that can just about accomodate two vehicles side by side. The roads themselves are in decent shape (except the patch that passes through villages) & is overall about 18 km stretch. Can be easily covered in abt 30 mins.

Option 3 will probably add another 45-50 mins (Shiggaon to Hubli) & then Hubli to Kalghatgi.

Will try to upload dash cam vids of that stretch by tonight.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 10th December 2019 at 19:46. Reason: Merged back to back posts on request, thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 17:36   #4717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird82 View Post
Option 2 is correct. Between Tadas & Kalghatgi you have Village roads that can just about accomodate two vehicles side by side. The roads themselves are in decent shape (except the patch that passes through villages) & is overall about 18 km stretch. Can be easily covered in abt 30 mins.
I have used this route two years back, posted here (Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries) with a video. Much better than Bankapur - Mundgod - Yellapur route.

Last edited by airbus : 10th December 2019 at 17:37. Reason: Minor correction.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 22:56   #4718
BHPian

Attaching 2 clips of Kalghatgi - Tadas section. This is a fair representation of how the entire stretch is.

Last edited by ampere : 10th December 2019 at 23:02. Reason: removed quoted post
Freebird82 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 23:03   #4719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
I have used this route two years back, posted here (Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries) with a video. Much better than Bankapur - Mundgod - Yellapur route.
Thank you folks. Whats the best way to join NH48 from Tadas?
Old 10th December 2019, 23:11   #4720
BHPian

We just did Bangalore -Goa and return and it took us 11.5 hours in a Creta Diesel.

Route taken was Bangalore-hubli-kittur-Khanapur- Chorla- Mapusa -Baga.

Same route back. It was a breeze. No bad roads except a few small stretches near Khanapur.
CorsaLove is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 13:00   #4721
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you folks. Whats the best way to join NH48 from Tadas?
As you reach Tadas village from Kalghatgi (SH-1), take a left onto Kumta-Hubli road. This will take you to the service road Junction which has an underbridge opening. As a landmark, you will cross Gayari Tapobhoomi Temple (on the right) Tas -about 500 meters before the junction. Take the right under the bridge to the Opposite service road and you will exit on to the Pune-Blr highway.Name:  Tadas  AH47.png
Views: 1330
Size:  134.6 KB
Old 13th December 2019, 14:49   #4722
BHPian

Guys, I am planning to start at 4am tomorrow to Palolem Goa. Need to double check about the route options from Bankapur- Yallapur- Karwar. And what are the food options for lunch on this route ?
Old 13th December 2019, 15:29   #4723
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
Guys, I am planning to start at 4am tomorrow to Palolem Goa. Need to double check about the route options from Bankapur- Yallapur- Karwar. And what are the food options for lunch on this route ?
After Yellapur and before Karwar, near Ankola you will find a Kamat, but it's on the way towards Mangalore. You will have to take a left (instead of right towards Karwar) as you exit the Yellapur highway, to reach Kamat. It's about 1 km from the junction.

You could also stop at Karwar's Amruth, if you enjoy costal cuisine. Amruth is a restaurant I very highly recommend!
Old 13th December 2019, 15:41   #4724
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
Guys, I am planning to start at 4am tomorrow to Palolem Goa. Need to double check about the route options from Bankapur- Yallapur- Karwar.
Please read up on recent posts on this thread - I think there was a mention of road closure on the Bankapur route. If it's still closed, you can do Hubli-Yellapur (the diversions between Chitradurga-Hubli have reduced but still need to endure them plus the speed breakers, from what I know, the completed sections are nice though).

Last edited by NPV : 13th December 2019 at 15:43.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 13:22   #4725
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post
We just did Bangalore -Goa and return and it took us 11.5 hours in a Creta Diesel.

Route taken was Bangalore-hubli-kittur-Khanapur- Chorla- Mapusa -Baga.

Same route back. It was a breeze. No bad roads except a few small stretches near Khanapur.

Is Chorla route open?

Not related to Bangalore - Goa route, but I am going to do Pune - Goa, but I am interested in recent update about Chorla ghat road. A lot of confusing news about what roads are open and what not recently.

Most Viewed