Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2009, 17:03   #481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
YIPPEEE!!!

Thanks for the info.

Hopefully it holds up till Ganesh time.

You still driving up and down in that 800?
Till Ganesh? ... well let's hope! This is not the hotmix type of road though they're doing the regular one . Not sure if they will hotmix over this road!

I still drive up and down (as always ) but not in the 800, drive the esteem, the 800 is just a profile pic I did go up and down twice in the 800 though.
Old 1st June 2009, 18:04   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Has anyone one travelled on the Sagar-Siddapura-Mirjan-Karwar-Goa route? How is the condition of the Siddapura-Mirjan section? Both Maps of India and Google maps show this route
I did this route in the last week of March, 09. Siddapura - Mirjan road is really good. At the same time, I took Honnavar - Gersoppa - Sagar route while coming back. Comparing both, Siddapur - Mirjan route is better than Honnavar route.
Old 1st June 2009, 18:14   #483
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
Till Ganesh? ... well let's hope! This is not the hotmix type of road though they're doing the regular one . Not sure if they will hotmix over this road!
Then dont expect it to hold through the monsoons. That small stretch is the only bug bear on the whole route.

Quote:
I still drive up and down (as always ) but not in the 800, drive the esteem, the 800 is just a profile pic I did go up and down twice in the 800 though.
Ha ha, i used a 800 for exactly 6 months before i got fed up and got a Bolero. Have done about a dozen trips Bangalore - Goa in the 800.
Old 1st June 2009, 18:23   #484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomBatt View Post
I did this route in the last week of March, 09. Siddapura - Mirjan road is really good. At the same time, I took Honnavar - Gersoppa - Sagar route while coming back. Comparing both, Siddapur - Mirjan route is better than Honnavar route.
If I'm not mistaken, we join NH 17 at Kumta, right?
Old 1st June 2009, 23:48   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
update: a small birdie tells me the kittur-khanapur stretch is being re-laid and now becomes the fastest road to goa from blr !

cheers,

amit
@techn0l0gist, thanks for the update. Could you give details of the route ?.

Is this Kittur-Bidi-Nandgad-Khanapur ? Is the entire stretch between Kittur and Khanapur good now ? (traveling on 5th june)

cheers,
Old 2nd June 2009, 19:20   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-47 View Post

Is this Kittur-Bidi-Nandgad-Khanapur ? Is the entire stretch between Kittur and Khanapur good now ? (traveling on 5th june)

cheers,
yes, this is the same route - i did not travel on it, i heard from someone who came that way - i think it should be good enough by now
Old 2nd June 2009, 19:38   #487
BHPian

Quote:
We join NH-17 at Mirjan ! which is some 10-15 km away from Kumta, ie you have to drive back if you want to go to Kumta.
Old 4th June 2009, 08:30   #488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-47 View Post

cheers,
Please keep us updated on the road conditions. I presume you will be travelling bangy to goa?
Old 4th June 2009, 10:30   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomBatt View Post
I took Honnavar - Gersoppa - Sagar route .
Quote:
Nopes, if we take this route we join NH-17 at Honnavara
Old 4th June 2009, 12:09   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Nopes, if we take this route we join NH-17 at Honnavara
That was not the route I was asking about. I was talking about the road from Siddapur to NH 17. I know the Sirsi to NH 17 road joins at Mirjan. Google maps, Yahoo maps & mapsofindia shows a direct road from Siddapur to NH17. This road is the SH48.

Since I am travelling via Shimoga, I don't think it will make sense to travel via Sirsi. It is a longer in distance. My options are either Shimoga-Sagar-Jog-Honnavar-NH17 or Shimoga-Sagar-Siddapura-NH17.

I have travelled earlier in the Jog-Honnavar route, so I want to try out the new route (at least for me) i.e. the Siddapur NH17 road. I just want to know the condition of the road.
Old 4th June 2009, 12:20   #491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That was not the route I was asking about. I was talking about the road from Siddapur to NH 17. I know the Sirsi to NH 17 road joins at Mirjan. Google maps, Yahoo maps & mapsofindia shows a direct road from Siddapur to NH17. This road is the SH48.

Since I am travelling via Shimoga, I don't think it will make sense to travel via Sirsi. It is a longer in distance. My options are either Shimoga-Sagar-Jog-Honnavar-NH17 or Shimoga-Sagar-Siddapura-NH17.

I have travelled earlier in the Jog-Honnavar route, so I want to try out the new route (at least for me) i.e. the Siddapur NH17 road. I just want to know the condition of the road.
Yes, the road from Siddapura joins NH17 at Kumta town - via the Aginashini Ghat - a lovely route.
Old 8th June 2009, 13:07   #492
Senior - BHPian

Continuing on my earlier query, for the return journey from Goa, I want to visit Dudh Sagar falls and Dandeli WLS on the way.

From what I have heard from different sources is that to reach Dudh Sagar falls, we may have to take NH4A from Ponda till Mollem and hire a jeep to visit the falls. I also heard that those driving SUVs can make it in their own vehicles. I will be driving an Innova (obviously not an SUV). Upto which place can I take the Innova? It would be wonderful if someone could give detailed info about Dudh Sagar.

The next agenda is Dandeli. How do I reach Dandeli from Dudh Sagar? Google maps shows that I can take NH4A till Londa, from there to Yellapur via Alnavar. Is this a feasible route? or are there any alternate routes till Yellapur & Sirsi. Maps of India shows a route from Londa to Yellapur via Supa & Dandeli. How is this route?

What are the road conditions on this route Panaji-Ponda-Mollem-Dudh sagar falls-Dandeli-Yellapur-Sirsi-Shimoga?

Since I will be going to Hassan, I do not want to go via NH4 as it will be a very big roundabout. So, my aim would be to reach Shimoga and thereon to Hassan after visiting these 2 places.
Old 8th June 2009, 16:22   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Google maps shows that I can take NH4A till Londa, from there to Yellapur via Alnavar.
Google maps for the area around londa don't have all the roads, e.g. google maps doesnt have the road from Kittur to bidi , so use them with caution.
Old 9th June 2009, 00:21   #494
BHPian

Caution for people going to Goa in June

Just came back from 4 day vacation to Goa. Company tour so no cars but had taken a 35 seater bus and it took 16 hours to and fro.

Took Bangalore - Hubli - Karwar - Panjim and same in the return journey.

The roads are good except for the usual Chitradurga bypass stretch and ankola to karwar road is a little rough and pot-holed now.

For everyone visiting Goa in June - Please make sure your carrying complete rain gear and your wipers and defogger are working right. Its pouring heavily in Goa (especially North Goa) and the roads are filled with water completely. In 4 days, there were two days were the rain did not stop for even 10 minutes the entire day!

Fortunately we hired a 2 Scorpios and Innova there so could wade through easily but could see the small cars and sedans having a tough time near the calangute - baga area.

PM me for any details if you need.

Last edited by CorsaLove : 9th June 2009 at 00:22. Reason: missed a word
Old 9th June 2009, 08:05   #495
Senior - BHPian

Corsa, you were unfortunate in your timing in your Goa visit. there was a storm in the area. now weather is fine with occasional rains. sea is rough as can be expected at this time of the year. is the work onthe haveri chitradurga stretch completed?

AK 47, how was the roads on your trip.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks