Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2020, 20:58   #4981
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

@aroonanand, I'm thinking of Bangalore to Goa too, with my wife and daughter, in about 2 weeks. No bookings done though. Can you let me know what dates you're looking at? Is the plan to do a stay in between, or drive in one day to Goa? Would going together make sense?

Anyone else in the same boat?
Old 6th December 2020, 22:43   #4982
BHPian

Just back from a weekend ride to Goa. The best route consensus is Dharwad- Anmod -Mollem -Panaji . Most of the road is well made with a slight 7 kms detour near Tinai ghat. Rest of the Ramanagar road is freshly laid concrete. Lovely curves. We took this road on our way back after listening to other riders. The police at the Mollem checkpost suggested the Khanapur route saying it was better but we didn't risk it.

The first journey we took the also very scenic Belgaum-Tilarinagar- Mapasa route due to a friend's suggestion. But even though less traffic, the road is narrow and surface pretty broken and resulted in a jarring ride. Surprisingly both routes km to km were almost the same!
mh09ad5578 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 12:28   #4983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
Planning to go post Christmas (26 Dec - 01 Jan) with wife and toddler. Hotel has been booked at the Holiday Inn on Mobor beach. I plan to start early on 26th Dec and hope to reach Goa by evening. On the way back, the plan is to start around noon and break for the night at Shimoga. I have booked Royal Orchid Shimoga for the night stay.
Old 7th December 2020, 12:35   #4984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh09ad5578 View Post
Just back from a weekend ride to Goa. The best route consensus is Dharwad- Anmod -Mollem -Panaji . Most of the road is well made with a slight 7 kms detour near Tinai ghat.
Can you please show the exact route you took using Google Maps. I am not sure where Tinai ghat is and what kind of a diversion is this.

Is this the road that we need to turn into after Hubli-Dharwad bypass? I believe all these roads were under construction.
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 12:54   #4985
BHPian

Quote:
@aroonanand, I'm thinking of Bangalore to Goa too, with my wife and daughter, in about 2 weeks. No bookings done though. Can you let me know what dates you're looking at? Is the plan to do a stay in between, or drive in one day to Goa? Would going together make sense?
I am scheduled to leave on 17th early morning (plan is non-stop to Goa; staying at Royal Orchid and Novotel for 3N each) and return on 23rd (plan is to leave after late breakfast, and halt overnight at Royal Orchid Shimoga for the night); do let me know if you end up travelling on either of these dates

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Can you please show the exact route you took using Google Maps. I am not sure where Tinai ghat is and what kind of a diversion is this.

Is this the road that we need to turn into after Hubli-Dharwad bypass? I believe all these roads were under construction.
+ 1, this would be useful to me too
Old 7th December 2020, 13:12   #4986
BHPian

Recently friends and family have done a trip to goa and the below are the route which they took

Bangalore- Hubli - Dharwad - Londa - Goa(Arombal)
Road Conditions: The route till Dharwad was good with road works, but Dharwad to Goa was very bad with bigh poth holes and the journey took more than what they had anticipated.

While coming they took the (Arombal) Goa - Karwar - Hubli - Bangalore again the routes were bad from Karwar to Hubli but drivable conditions.

so please plan and add few extra hours if you are travellign this route.
Old 7th December 2020, 16:34   #4987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
I am scheduled to leave on 17th early morning (plan is non-stop to Goa; staying at Royal Orchid and Novotel for 3N each) and return on 23rd (plan is to leave after late breakfast, and halt overnight at Royal Orchid Shimoga for the night); do let me know if you end up travelling on either of these dates
Thanks @aroonanand. 17th is unlikely for me work-wise. We'll plan to start likely 20th morning if we go. Would prefer to travel along with others, may cancel plans if we can't find anyone around these dates. Keeping dates flexible since I have 2 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodrolok View Post
Planning to go post Christmas (26 Dec - 01 Jan) with wife and toddler. Hotel has been booked at the Holiday Inn on Mobor beach. I plan to start early on 26th Dec and hope to reach Goa by evening. On the way back, the plan is to start around noon and break for the night at Shimoga. I have booked Royal Orchid Shimoga for the night stay.
Thanks @Bhodrolok. Like I mentioned above, plans are a bit flexible and uncertain.. we're not sure of traveling in one day as well, not done that kind of long drive for a long while now. Can I get in touch with you if we decide to tag along?
Old 7th December 2020, 20:01   #4988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post

This is the Dharvad - Ramnagar - Anmod route with the Tinai bypass - https://maps.app.goo.gl/6wkNQBg1pSeSQSMo8. It seems to be the default route chosen by maps. Not sure if it will show the same route via the link or if gets dynamically plotted for each user.

Essentially from NH48, you turn off with Dharwad on your right (There is a lake by the right of the highway just as you come down a slope). Pass through a toll, then turn left and follow the road through Mugad - Godholi - Ramnagar till you hit a broad stretch of new road (no marking yet with lots of digging/ clearing off the roads to the sides) then keep going - the Tinai bypass is about 12 kms before Anmod (right turn almost 100 degrees. It is a narrow road. You can tell you are on the right road if you hit a railway crossing less than a km after taking the diversion). The bypass comes to an intersection where you need to turn left which eventually joins back to Anmod where you then turn right, head down the ghat and arrive in Goa.
Crhysis is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 00:48   #4989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crhysis View Post
This is the Dharvad - Ramnagar - Anmod route with the Tinai bypass - https://maps.app.goo.gl/6wkNQBg1pSeSQSMo8. It seems to be the default route chosen by maps. It is a narrow road. You can tell you are on the right road if you hit a railway crossing less than a km after taking the diversion)
Perfectly explained! Follow this and you shouldn't have any issues!
Old 8th December 2020, 09:28   #4990

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh09ad5578 View Post
Just back from a weekend ride to Goa. The best route consensus is Dharwad- Anmod -Mollem -Panaji . Most of the road is well made with a slight 7 kms detour near Tinai ghat. Rest of the Ramanagar road is freshly laid concrete. Lovely curves. We took this road on our way back after listening to other riders. The police at the Mollem checkpost suggested the Khanapur route saying it was better but we didn't risk it.

The first journey we took the also very scenic Belgaum-Tilarinagar- Mapasa route due to a friend's suggestion. But even though less traffic, the road is narrow and surface pretty broken and resulted in a jarring ride. Surprisingly both routes km to km were almost the same!

Many thanks for your post and route endorsement @mh08ad5578. We are leaving tomorrow morning to Betalbatim (near Colva) and my experience a year ago - in a fortune - was absolutely HORRIBLE.

However, does anyone have route information on the forest road on the Yellapur > Mundgod > Bankapur road ? In January last, the approach to the bridge midway had been washed out and we had to drive across the dry river bed.

That is our preferred return route.

Stay well guys, and stay safe.
ArjunVS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 10:55   #4991
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @Bhodrolok. Like I mentioned above, plans are a bit flexible and uncertain.. we're not sure of traveling in one day as well, not done that kind of long drive for a long while now. Can I get in touch with you if we decide to tag along?
Absolutely! More the merrier.
Old 10th December 2020, 09:17   #4992
BHPian

Ok looks like the most preferred route is Dharwad - Mollem. Surprisingly I’ve always taken the cholra - jamboti through Belgaum in the past 10 trips over the last 9 years or so and looks like the conditions post Karnataka borders have gone just more worse over the years! It’s the longest route one can take, but it used to be the fastest and scenic. The winding roads after VTU in Belgaum are really scenic!

The never ending diversions have evolved with the trips taken to Goa and Pune over past few years and I’ll miss them for sure! (If they do go away, which is unlikely)
bhansali_hardik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 11:54   #4993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crhysis View Post
This is the Dharvad - Ramnagar - Anmod route with the Tinai bypass
I guess this makes sense if one is headed to central/northern parts of Goa. For southern parts, going via Bankapura - Mundgod - Yellapura - Karwar should work better, right?
Old 10th December 2020, 15:25   #4994
BHPian

Haven't driven via Karwar over the last 18 months at least. But used to use it a lot before. Road is generally better than Chorla and Anmod route. Someone who has travelled via Karwar recently could share light on the state of the road. But it is definitely the longest in terms of time for sure, by at least an hour. So depending on where you are going in South Goa, Anmod might be shorter. Chorla is in such bad condition, that it will takes just as long as the Karwar route and be tiring as well.

Last edited by Crhysis : 10th December 2020 at 15:28.
Crhysis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 15:58   #4995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArjunVS View Post
However, does anyone have route information on the forest road on the Yellapur > Mundgod > Bankapur road ? In January last, the approach to the bridge midway had been washed out and we had to drive across the dry river bed.

That is our preferred return route.

Stay well guys, and stay safe.
Hi,
My last trip : BLR-GOA-BLR
Travel up : 11th Nov
My horse : Creta Petrol
Riders: Me, Wife and our four year old daughter
Total travel time (Door to Door) : exact 9hrs
Break : 2 short breaks of 15 mins each (for incar breakfast near Mungod water front and to attend nature's call)
Route : HAL Old Airport Signal - Cubbon Road-Yeshvanthpur - Tumkur - Chitradurga - Davangere - Bankapur Toll - Diversion towards Mungod - Yellapur - Ankola-Karwar-Margao
Start time: 1:30AM
Arrival in Margao : 10:30AM

Road conditions : Blr till Chitradurga its a 3 lane breeze, from there till Bankapur toll , about 10 diversions however most are motorable and you can maintain 60-80kmph. About 3 diversions in very bad shape. Reached Bankapur toll at sharp 6AM as planned, wanted some light before I leave NH. Easy to miss diversion at Bankapur toll towards Mungod. Mungod to Yellapur is SH, some sections are narrow and mostly forest areas, quite isolated and very mild traffic movement. Two sections where bridges are being built and some rough patches, but managable as there isn't much traffic. Enjoy Tibetan monstry visit on the way if permitted. Certain sections of roads are narrow, so be prepared to steer off incase of heavy incoming vehicle. I could say 90% smooth drive till Yellapur. Yellapur ghat section (Arabol) bends are washed out, but manageable if you are careful negotiating them. Approx 10-12 bends. Post that till Ankola is smooth drive. Ankola till Palolem, mix of 2 and 4 lane work in progress. Across border and you are in for a carpet finished Goan roads.

Took same route on return, this time on 16th Sunday and with two additional occupants (my parents). Took 11hrs door to door with two breaks of 30 mins each for breakfast and lunch. Left Goa at 7AM and arrived 6PM. As usual got stuck with too much traffic at toll booth and it rained heavily that evening in Blor.

Planned to follow suit tonight (BLR-GOA), anybody else in game ?
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-20201111_063924.jpg  

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-20201111_070134.jpg  

sary is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks