Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2021, 10:40   #5131
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
How about COVID related checking at both Goa and Karnataka borders? Did anybody stop you while going/coming asking for negative RT-PCR test reports?
I covered Bangalore -> Panaji -> Bangalore this past weekend. Followed the route via Tumkur->Devangare->Mundgod(SH-6)-> Yellapur -> Karwar via national highway again -> Panjim via south Goa.

The roads were well and good except very few bad patches on SH-6 before Yellapur. And yes, like mentioned previously in this thread that the roads are narrow from Mundgod to Yellapur but there isn't much to worry if you maintain speed less than or around 80 KPH. It'll take you from the forest with a beautiful sight of Sprint season(most of the trees shedding their leaves).

No COVID checking as-such till last week. While returning from Goa, there wasn't even strict Liquor checking as well
Old 26th March 2021, 13:09   #5132
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravarag View Post
I covered Bangalore -> Panaji -> Bangalore this past weekend. Followed the route via Tumkur->Devangare->Mundgod(SH-6)-> Yellapur -> Karwar via national highway again -> Panjim via south Goa.

The roads were well and good except very few bad patches on SH-6 before Yellapur. And yes, like mentioned previously in this thread that the roads are narrow from Mundgod to Yellapur but there isn't much to worry if you maintain speed less than or around 80 KPH. It'll take you from the forest with a beautiful sight of Sprint season(most of the trees shedding their leaves).

No COVID checking as-such till last week. While returning from Goa, there wasn't even strict Liquor checking as well
That was my favorite route until this year I got bored by the repetition. This time did BLR > Chikmagalur >Sharavati >Dandeli >Goa and back and it was a revelation! It was 900km one way and a very enriching experience compared to dead soul-killing experience of NH48. While you will experience great driving from Mundgod to Karwar via Yellapur - It is only 1/5th the entire journey. Via the route i took however it was comparably better than the Yellapur stretch almost all the way for 700kms or more. The trick is to avoid the regular Shimoga route and hit the interior roads that are almost invisible on Google maps.

Last edited by Ragul : 26th March 2021 at 13:25.
Old 30th March 2021, 16:04   #5133
BHPian

Just got back from my Goa trip. I had to go via Belgaum and return via Hubli since I had personal work at both these places.

Below is the route I took.

1. Onward Journey

Bangalore - Belgaum - Chorla ghat - Margao - Patnem beach. I had booked my stay at a beach in Patnem beach. Route was good all along, except for some minor rough patches.

2. Return Journey

Patnem - Karwar - Yellapur - Kalaghatagi -Hubli. Roads are very good all the way. The last 8 Km before Hubli is rough. Yellapur, Karwar has some decent pure veg hotels for lunch.
girimajiananth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 17:20   #5134
BHPian

Hi All,

Planning for a goa trip on May 31, this is going to be with my family (Mom, Dad, wife, sister and 4 kids) need suggestions on below

1. I am planning to take Blr - Chitradurga - Davangere - Dharwad - Belgaum - Goa route, any places to visit on the way?
2. Any not to miss places in goa (apart from beaches)
3. Budget stays (preferably service apartments or individual houses)

I intend to stay there for 2-3 days
Old 8th April 2021, 20:37   #5135
BHPian

https://goo.gl/maps/joWm6FWydnwzmNfR9

I travelled on this route (Harihar - Halageri - Hirekerur - Soraba - Siddapur) from Davangere to Siddapur. Exited NH 48 at a place called Makanur Just after Harihar (there is huge sign board indicating diversion to Sirsi) Excellent road throughout with very less traffic - Except for a small strech inside a village called Koda Cross. There are few well marked Speed Breakers.

If interested, One can visit Jog falls also on this route.

I feel, this route is better than Chitradurga - Shivamogga - Honnavar as I came back to Bengaluru via Shivamogga - Chitradurga.

In Siddapura, Hotel Gangotri is Nice stop for Lunch/Breakfast.

Last edited by BomBatt : 8th April 2021 at 20:39. Reason: Could Not Embed the map
BomBatt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 09:10   #5136
Senior - BHPian

On Saturday 10th April, I drove form Bangalore to Sanquelim. Departed from Bangalore around 10am in the morning and reached home by around 7pm.

The route taken is: Bangalore - Davangere (NH48) - Shiggaon - Tadas - Kalaghatagi - Haliyal - Adjacent to Dandeli - Castle Rock - Anmod - Mollem Ghat - Surla - Valpoi - Sanquelim.

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-temp.jpg

This route is fantastic to drive - some very minor pothole roads but nothing major. Even a low slung sedan can make it through this road. After you leave NH48, the roads become single lane, country side beautiful views. Passes through western ghats and KTR ranges. There are a couple of railway crossings around Dandeli/ Castle Rock - that may take 10-15 minutes extra but otherwise nothing really to worry about. This route is specifically superb considering the flora and fauna you get to see/ experience. Monsoon would be the best season on this road.

if you aren't rushing to destination and game for an hour as extra time/ buffer, this is the road you can take regardless your destination in Goa - to go to South, continue to Ponda and for a north, take right to Surla/ Valpoi/ Sanquelim section.
abirnale is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 07:57   #5137

We rode from Bangalore to Goa on 14th April. Just followed Google Maps to Agonda. No COVID checking -- pleasant drive.

This thread was super helpful. Thanks to all!
Old 15th April 2021, 10:06   #5138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritamps View Post
We rode from Bangalore to Goa on 14th April. Just followed Google Maps to Agonda. No COVID checking -- pleasant drive.

This thread was super helpful. Thanks to all!
Do you mind adding more details? The route that was taken, the condition of the route, timings etc?
Old 16th April 2021, 10:33   #5139

Drove to Palolem beach (South Goa) on 12th April by taking the following route
Bangalore - Davangere (NH48) - Shiggaon - Tadas - Kalaghatagi- Yellapur- Ankola- Karwar- Palolem

Journey Time: 10 Hours Departure from Koramangala, Bangalore at 6 AM and reached Palolem at 4 PM with liberal number of stops (almost 90 minutes in total)

Road Condition: Overall Good and generally pothole free. The SH section between Shiggaon and Karwar is without medians . Expansion work on the highways and patch work on the stretch between Tadas-Kalaghatgi is on.

Amenities : Poor after you divert from NH 48 until Karwar. There are hardly any good places for lunch and no clean washroom facilities. We managed to grab a bite at Ramdev Veg Dhaba. Lots of parking space ; Hygiene and Food Quality is poor

On the return journey did a small diversion after Yellapur . The route followed was Palolem-Karwar-Ankola-Yellapur-Mundgod-Bankapura-Haveri(NH48)-Bangalore.

Journey Time: 10 Hours Departure from Palolem at 10:30 AM and reached Koramangala, Bangalore at 8:30 PM with 3 stops (almost 60 minutes in total)

Road Condition: The stretch between Yellapur to Haveri is better than the Yellpaur-Shiggaon stretch (the Kalaghatagi route). You drive through nice patches of forests between Yellapur and Bankapura if you take this road. Enjoyed the Drive

Amenities : Poor after Karwar: Recommended to have your food/breaks at Karwar or after you hit NH 48 only

Vehicle used: BMW X1(E 84)

Other hiccups: During the onward journey , just 3 kms before Kalaghatagi, the left wheel started grumbling! On visual inspection, everything appeared normal. As we limped towards Kalaghatagi, found a roadside garage(Unique Car Care) and tyre shop. Put the vehicle on the ramp and removed the wheel. The culprit was a pebble that got stuck between the Rotor shield and the Rotor Disc. (Got stuck to the shield as it was dipped in Tar and must have happened when we went on a road where road work was in progress) .
Vipinprasad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 12:33   #5140

I’ve been staying at Siolim for a month now, took the Bangalore - Hubli bypass - MK Hubli - Khanapur - Jamboti - Chorla Ghat to reach North Goa. Given I drive the low slung 320d, I was super worried but then the Chorla ghat section is perfectly done up and did not scrape the underbody even once during the entire drive. I think it’s the quickest way to reach North Goa as of now. Drove down just as the second wave was starting; however no checks.
anandbharathi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 18:11   #5141
BHPian

Members, Any update on the Chorla route?

Need to plan for an upcoming trip, not confirmed though.
Old 7th July 2021, 15:31   #5142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinmayd View Post
Has anyone visited the Tibetan camp in Mundgod? How much time would it take to explore the place and what about food options? If the camp is worth a detailed exploration i plan to spend the night in Karwar and proceed to North Goa the next day. Any thoughts?
Had been to this place few times while travelling to GOA, it wont take more than 1 hr to roam around and you can capture nice pics indoor and outdoor.
SVMBLR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 16:47   #5143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
We visited north Goa(Baga) during the long weekend in mid January (14 to 17 Jan). Wife & I, in our Figo 1.5 TDCI.

• Started from Bangalore on 13th Evening, halted at Davenagere, a journey of 4 hours 30 mins. I would not do this stretch again at night, since there are some diversions, and some areas are somewhat deserted. If you run into some trouble, it would be worrisome especially if you are with family. One stop for dinner.
  • Started next day at 7 AM, and reached Goa in the evening, after visiting Tambdi Surla on the way.
  • The route taken was Dhawrad - Anmod - Goa, shown in attached picture.
  • Now the biggest mistake I made - missed the diversion at Tinai Ghat. I am not sure whether Google missed it or it was me . Basically, you have this new concrete road, very wide, without markings yet completed. Suddenly, you reach a place where literally the road stops. That means, there is no road, concrete or otherwise. Very bumpy, with huge undulations. If you see this, that means you missed the diversion, which is a SMALL road on the right, before this. If you are in an SUV, this stretch is probably manageable, but my Figo did scrape its underbelly on one occasion, pretty badly I must say. This continues will Anmod, with some stretches of concrete completed in between. It was a bit unnerving. My suggestion - DO NOT go through this stretch at night. Take the diversion as I have shown in the maps.
  • Return journey was the same route, but this time we took the diversion, and even though the latter stretch had potholes, my God was it heaven compared to the Anmod Tinai section. Also, the diversion takes you through a nice forest road.
  • Reached Bangalore in the evening on Sunday, as usual mad rush to get into Bangalore, and people going crazy with overtakes, and trying to squeeze into non existent gaps.
My main gripe is that the under construction stretch between Tinai & Anmod had no markings urging us to take a diversion, or any warning signs. If someone drives off the concrete and into the crater like stretches at night (it can happen, it is that abrupt), it can be very dangerous.
Hello wantarangerover,

Do you have any update on Tinai Ghat (NH 748) to Anmod Check Post road condition ! Hope this concrete road work would have been completed by now..
Old 9th July 2021, 19:31   #5144
BHPian

I do not have any updates unfortunately. Some other member had mentioned that the road along the deviation was also under repair, but it could also be completed by now.

Perhaps someone else can chip in with latest updates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVMBLR View Post
Hello wantarangerover,

Do you have any update on Tinai Ghat (NH 748) to Anmod Check Post road condition ! Hope this concrete road work would have been completed by now..
wantarangerover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 11:01   #5145
BHPian

Hi,

is there any restrictions ( E-PASS etc) travelling from Bangalore to GOA ?

Most Viewed