Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2021, 21:57   #5191
K2K

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

I'm supposed to drive down to Goa on 30th Oct. Will try to post an update if the plan comes to fruition.

Regards
K2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
What is the status of RT-PCR requirement for crossing into Goa from KA and back?
Both sides need to see RT-PCR or only return trip back into KA?

I am planning a long drive on Diwali week Nov 1st - its still a month away and things could change but just checking in advance.

Thanks
Mod note: Please see rule #11 in our Announcement/Team-BHP Rules

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 30th September 2021 at 11:06.
Old 30th September 2021, 11:12   #5192
BHPian

Hello Team,

What is the current best route between Belgaum and Panjim.

Contemplating between Chorla and Anmod.
Old 30th September 2021, 11:23   #5193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianNomad View Post
Hello Team,

What is the current best route between Belgaum and Panjim.

Contemplating between Chorla and Anmod.
For Panjim as destination, it's definitely Chorla.
Old 30th September 2021, 13:55   #5194
BHPian

Hi all,

Am planning to travel to South Goa (Agonda) with family on 9th Oct. I was suggested Bancapore-Mundgod-karwar-Goa route but I hear certain sections are in a very bad shape and not suggested in a low slung sedan - Honda City.

I see similar feedback on this thread as well. So will it make sense to take longer route from Bancapore-Tadas-Kalaghatgi-Yellapur-Kawar. And will this be fine in a City. Any other route that one should take? I hope to start early morning (4 am) and be there by 2 pm. Too ambitious?

Will be with 2 small ones Is RT-PCR being checked for kids? Adults are fully vaccinated and am not very keen on a swab being shoveled up kids nostrils or throats. So would appreciate if there is anyway to avoid it.

~sm

Last edited by serious_maniac : 30th September 2021 at 13:56. Reason: Typos
serious_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 13:58   #5195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious_maniac View Post
Hi all,

Am planning to travel to South Goa (Agonda) with family on 9th Oct. I was suggested Bancapore-Mundgod-karwar-Goa route but I hear certain sections are in a very bad shape and not suggested in a low slug sedan - Honda City.

I see that on this thread as well. So will it make sense to take longer route from Bancapore-Tadas-Kalaghatgi-Yellapur-Kawar. And will this be fine in a City. Any other route that one should take? I hope to start early morning (4 am) and be there by 2 pm. Too ambitious?

~sm
Take the longer route avoiding Bankapur Mungod. That is a better option because the Mungod to Yellapur section is extremely narrow and you will need to get down from the road to cross oncoming traffic.

Regarding your start and end time, they look very reasonable and achievable with all your breaks provided you start no later than 0400.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 14:45   #5196
BHPian

Need clarification on certain stretches. I'm driving to Goa this week. Onward journey is from Bellur (Mandya district, not to be confused with Belur) to Goa. I initially planned to take the shiradi ghat to Mangalore and then to drive along the coast. But I just learnt that there is a possible night ban for vehicles other than emergency vehicles on Shiradi ghat (6pm to 6am). I will be leaving Bellur at 9pm. Return journey will be from Goa to Mysore (will take this route Goa-Mangalore-Madikeri-Mysore which I'm used to driving at night). So the confusion now is as to which route to take for onward journey :
1. Bellur - Hassan - Belur - Agumbe - Udupi - Karwar - Goa
Not sure whether there is night ban on Agumbe ghat section

2. Bellur - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Shiradi - Mangalore - Karwar - Goa (unsure about night ban on Shiradi ghat)

3. Bellur - Kunigal - Tumkur - Davangere - Hubli - Goa, not keen to take this route since I'm not a fan of driving continuously in 4 laned highways.

4. Bellur - Arsikere - Kadur - Shimoga - Ankola - Karwar - Goa (I've never driven on this route in the morning hours itself, so am a little hesitant to do this stretch at night)

5. Bellur - Channarayapatna - Holenarasipura - Kushalnagar - Madikeri - Mangalore - Goa (longer distance, but well versed with the roads)

I'll be driving my Grand i10 Nios and will be accompanied by the wife who will drive post sunrise. Night drive cannot be avoided due to the limitted leave at our workplace. So in order to spend a decent amount of time at Goa, we have to drive predominantly at night time. Thanks in advance.
Old 4th October 2021, 16:04   #5197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osteon206 View Post
Need clarification on certain stretches. I'm driving to Goa this week. Onward journey is from Bellur (Mandya district, not to be confused with Belur) to Goa. I initially planned to take the shiradi ghat to Mangalore and then to drive along the coast. But I just learnt that there is a possible night ban for vehicles other than emergency vehicles on Shiradi ghat (6pm to 6am). I will be leaving Bellur at 9pm. Return journey will be from Goa to Mysore (will take this route Goa-Mangalore-Madikeri-Mysore which I'm used to driving at night). So the confusion now is as to which route to take for onward journey :
1. Bellur - Hassan - Belur - Agumbe - Udupi - Karwar - Goa
Not sure whether there is night ban on Agumbe ghat section

2. Bellur - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Shiradi - Mangalore - Karwar - Goa (unsure about night ban on Shiradi ghat)

3. Bellur - Kunigal - Tumkur - Davangere - Hubli - Goa, not keen to take this route since I'm not a fan of driving continuously in 4 laned highways.

4. Bellur - Arsikere - Kadur - Shimoga - Ankola - Karwar - Goa (I've never driven on this route in the morning hours itself, so am a little hesitant to do this stretch at night)

5. Bellur - Channarayapatna - Holenarasipura - Kushalnagar - Madikeri - Mangalore - Goa (longer distance, but well versed with the roads)

I'll be driving my Grand i10 Nios and will be accompanied by the wife who will drive post sunrise. Night drive cannot be avoided due to the limitted leave at our workplace. So in order to spend a decent amount of time at Goa, we have to drive predominantly at night time. Thanks in advance.
I would suggest Tumkur - Davangere- Bankapur -Yellapur-Karwar-South Goa (no night drive restrictions apart from RTPCR Negative /Vaccination) Certificate )
SVMBLR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 16:12   #5198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVMBLR View Post
I would suggest Tumkur - Davangere- Bankapur -Yellapur-Karwar-South Goa (no night drive restrictions apart from RTPCR Negative /Vaccination) Certificate )
Thank you SVMBLR . I will most probably take this route itself considering all the other routes have ghat sections in the same region and hence might have similar restrictions.
Old 4th October 2021, 21:55   #5199
BHPian

I had been to Gokarna via the Yallapur- Ankola road from Hubli. There is a slight deviation before Ankola which takes a single lane road with bad patches throughout for about 20 kms till you touch the NH66. I have a 5 year old who had continuous bouts of car sickness throughout this stretch. I am planning for a Goa trip from Hubli on the 2nd week of Nov'21. Any idea which would be the best route to take since my aim is to avoid ghat section. I know this is not possible but the least ghat section route would be my preference. Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 5th October 2021, 20:42   #5200
Senior - BHPian

Planning a trip to Calangute, Goa from Electronic City. Car is Octavia

Appreciate any feedback on the Chorla ghat road condition. Is it easily doable in a sedan?

Alternatively I am planning to take the tried and tested longer route Hubli - Yellapur - Karwar - Calangute. This will add around 120 kms extra.

Not taking Mundgod - Yellapur route due to more kms of village roads. Have never taken Tadas - Kalaghatgi - Yellapur route before, so not sure of it.

Would anyone have a suggestion for better route? Travelling with a 3 year old kid. Thanks in advance.
Old 6th October 2021, 10:36   #5201

Travelled to Goa last week

Car : Elite i 20

Onward Journey :Bangalore - Chitradurga - Bankapura - Yellapur - Karwar - South Goa

Time taken - 14 Hours - Drove leisurely - with lot of breaks

Road Condition :

Bangalore to Bankapura - Good Roads , there were few deviations but nothing to complain about

Bankapura to Yellapur - Narrow road , many potholes , you will have to go down the road shoulder to let vehicles from the opposite side pass , if you are driving an SUV then no problem , but for me personally i found driving this stretch frustrating

Yellapur to Ankola - Road is okay , near the ghat section there are sections of broken road , but the rest of the sections are fine

Return Journey :

South Goa - Karwar - Yellapur - Hubli ( Stayover for the night ) - Bangalore

Road Condition -

Left South Goa in the evening

Yellapur to Hubli - Road is in good condition , was much easier to travel than the Bankapura - Yellapur road

Hubli to Bangalore - Highway was very comfortable to travel , there were few deviations due to road construction , but its managable

Hope this helps, Happy Driving
Melvin0412 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 12:00   #5202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin0412 View Post

Car : Elite i 20

Onward Journey :Bangalore - Chitradurga - Bankapura - Yellapur - Karwar - South Goa
Hope Vaccine certificate will suffice both while entering Goa and Karnataka in the return leg ?
Old 6th October 2021, 12:36   #5203

Yes if you have Vaccination ( Both the doses ) and the second dose should be atleast 15 days prior it will do , for both entering and returning from Goa and Karnataka , also make sure your Pollution certificate is up to date , they checked me at the border for it
Melvin0412 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 13:51   #5204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin0412 View Post

Yellapur to Hubli - Road is in good condition , was much easier to travel than the Bankapura - Yellapur road
Only thing to add, I would not recommend driving the Yellapur-Hubli stretch at night, it is a 2 lane road and there are just too many trucks heading to the ports at night and driving is very challenging and tiring.
Old 7th October 2021, 10:25   #5205
BHPian

We are planning to travel to North Goa (Siolim) from Sarjapur Road on Oct 10th and stay there for a week. This is the first time we are driving to Goa, and we will be in 2 cars - A Jetta and a Hexa (2 families).

1) Which route is the best to take in current conditions (considering Jetta)?

2) All of us are double vaccinated except 2 kids. Should we get RT-PCR for them before travel? Is that needed for return as well?

3) Thinking of breaking the journey and taking a day's break both sides. Any recommendations on the places/hotels?

Most Viewed