Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2021, 13:55   #5206
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleton View Post

1) Which route is the best to take in current conditions (considering Jetta)?

2) All of us are double vaccinated except 2 kids. Should we get RT-PCR for them before travel? Is that needed for return as well?

3) Thinking of breaking the journey and taking a day's break both sides. Any recommendations on the places/hotels?
1. The Chorla Ghat route seems to be the favoured one at the moment. All routes to Goa currently (barring the karwar route) are in rough state , in varying percentages. So this one also should be similar.
2. I understand that the officials on the border are applying discretion. BTW - its not mandatory RT-PCR but any ICMR approved test. You can even do the "at home" test, but the reliability of that test is iffy. You can take a chance, and if asked there, you can get it done at the border itself. But it would mean additional time and exposure. I am headed to Goa in 2 days, and have kids with me. I am planning to get it done here and go ir-respective as I dont want to risk exposing kids to the rush and infection at the border check point.
3. Logical points would be in and around hubli. If you want a leisure drive, you can take the karwar route and stop around Sagar/Shimoga and vist Jog falls. But unless the kids are too young and need to stop, Goa should be ok to get there in a day.

Hope this helps

Last edited by v-drive : 7th October 2021 at 13:57. Reason: spellings
v-drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 14:53   #5207

Hi, did a trip to north Goa (Candolim) in the last week of September, Started from Fraser town at 3.15am and entered Goa at 12.30pm.

Took the Hubli Dharward by pass road - Alnavar - Londa and then took a deviation after Ramnagar thru Tinai Ghat to avoid the bad stretch of Anmod ghat.

This is the route which shows up in Google maps as the shortest route, the duration shows as 12 odd hours, but surprisingly i was able to do this stretch in 9.5 to 10 hours comfortably with normal speeds and a few breaks.

Roads are excellent throughout, barring a few deviations near chitradurga. The Tinai ghat stretch is mostly smooth too.

We were stopped at Goa border for COVID vaccination certificates and RTPCR negative reports for kids. Everyone entering Goa had to park the car and wait in a Queue to enter the Vaccination and RTPCR registration numbers. Those without Vaccination certificates or RTPCR had to go thru mandatory Testing at the check post itself.

I was contemplating on returning thru Chorla Ghats, but i was told by the manager at the resort that the condition of Chorla ghats after the rains was not great, and so decided to return back the same route we went thru. No COVID checks at Karnataka border, we were passed thru after the customary "Any Liquor" question, and on seeing the family in the car.

Drive back was very smooth and comfortable, started from Goa at around 12pm reached Nelmangala at 11.45, took quite a few breaks on the return leg and there was very heavy rain right from Hubli to Tumkur that slowed us down a bit.

Hope this helps!
Regards.
Zed32 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 15:58   #5208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed32 View Post
This is the route which shows up in Google maps as the shortest route, the duration shows as 12 odd hours, but surprisingly i was able to do this stretch in 9.5 to 10 hours comfortably with normal speeds and a few breaks.
Usually for such distance and with start timings like 0400am, one can easily better estimation of Googlemaps with breaks and without really hitting super fast speeds. That has been my experience so far.

Quote:
We were stopped at Goa border for COVID vaccination certificates and RTPCR negative reports for kids.
How strict are the authorities when it comes to checking negative RTPCR for kids? I have a plan to drive next week. While we parents are fully vaccinated, our daughter aged 11 is obviously not and this negative RTPCR confusion has been on my mind since last 2 days. I have got mixed opinions on this from those who I asked.
Old 7th October 2021, 16:34   #5209

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Usually for such distance and with start timings like 0400am, one can easily better estimation of Googlemaps with breaks and without really hitting super fast speeds. That has been my experience so far.

How strict are the authorities when it comes to checking negative RTPCR for kids? I have a plan to drive next week. While we parents are fully vaccinated, our daughter aged 11 is obviously not and this negative RTPCR confusion has been on my mind since last 2 days. I have got mixed opinions on this from those who I asked.
Yes, starting early has been an advantage always, it feels like you get to cover more distance quicker, and its better that the kids are usually sleeping at this hour and getting some rest.

We were first asked how many occupants in the car, and when i mentioned 2 adults and 2 kids we were immediately directed to a parking spot, and once i got in the queue the officials were just writing down the registration number of the certificates and RTPCR reports, along with the vehicle registration number, contact number and where in goa we are headed too.
Since i had the RTPCR reports for the kids i just submitted them. Here they did not specifically ask me how many people in the car.

It gave me the feeling that they were more vigilant about elders and 15 days should have passed from the 2nd dose of vaccination.

hope this helps!

regards.
Zed32 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 16:34   #5210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed32 View Post

Took the Hubli Dharward by pass road - Alnavar - Londa and then took a deviation after Ramnagar thru Tinai Ghat to avoid the bad stretch of Anmod ghat.

Roads are excellent throughout, barring a few deviations near chitradurga. The Tinai ghat stretch is mostly smooth too.
Thanks, this helps. Were you in a sedan / hatch or in a SUV? Asking this, as I am planning for Calangute and google is showing this route. I am still not convinced on the road condition of ghats (considering low ground clearance of Octavia) and planning to take Hubli - Karwar which will add 100+ kms more, but atleast I know what to expect.
Old 7th October 2021, 17:31   #5211

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Thanks, this helps. Were you in a sedan / hatch or in a SUV? Asking this, as I am planning for Calangute and google is showing this route. I am still not convinced on the road condition of ghats (considering low ground clearance of Octavia) and planning to take Hubli - Karwar which will add 100+ kms more, but atleast I know what to expect.

I was driving a Fortuner, and yes that helped allot, We didn’t feel the bad patches too much, but I think the general condition of the route I took is not something to worry about, you will just have to navigate a few bad stretches carefully and you should be largely okay.

Personally, I wouldn’t miss the Ghat section, specially at this time of the year, where the landscapes are lush and green after the monsoon and you have natural waterfalls flowing. Just need to keep it slow and take in the breathtaking views the Ghats have to offer and enjoy the drive! 😊

Never taken the Karwar route so can’t comment, but I had a friend who drove up this route a fortnight back and he was very happy overall, he drove a skoda superb. But his destination was South Goa so that route made sense. For north goa IMHO the Hubli Dharwad by pass route or the choral Ghats is a better option.

Regards
Zed32 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 18:07   #5212
BHPian

Hello Guys, I will be travelling with my wife next week to Goa from Bangalore. Is the RT-PCR test mandatory at Goa border? We both are fully vaccinated and will be carrying vaccine certificates along. Is there any more precautions to be taken while driving from BLR to Goa (Calangute)?
Old 9th October 2021, 10:09   #5213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
Hello Guys, I will be travelling with my wife next week to Goa from Bangalore. Is the RT-PCR test mandatory at Goa border? We both are fully vaccinated and will be carrying vaccine certificates along. Is there any more precautions to be taken while driving from BLR to Goa (Calangute)?
If you are fully vaccianted and 15 days have passed, then no need to have a RT-PCR.
No more precautions (COVID related) apart from that. Ususal COVID related i suppose

Enjoy
v-drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 11:28   #5214

Bangalore to Palolem : Route update Oct 2021

Hello, I made a recent trip to Goa and would like to share route details and road conditions along the way.

I had opted for the scenic Anshi National Park : Hubli - Haliyal (SH:28)- Dandeli (SH:46)- Anshi (SH:34)- DadeBag (NH:66)- Canacona

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-image-003.png

The route till Dandeli was nice with occasional hiccups

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_0858.jpg
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_0867.jpg
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_0872.jpg
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_0877.jpg

Dandeli via Anshi to Canacona was average but very scenic with hardly any traffic nor speed bumps

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_0878.jpg
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_0880.jpg
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_0881.jpg
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_0883.jpg
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_0885.jpg
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_0887.jpg
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_0893.jpg
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_0900.jpg

for my return trip I had selected Karwar - Gokarna (NH:66)- Sirsi (SH:69)- Haveri (SH:2)- Bangalore (NH:48)

* WARNING * SH:69 road is a mess, very bad shape all the way to Sirsi

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-image-001.png
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-image-002.png

we were considering Gokarna and Yana along the way to choose this route. Please avoid.

Had a cup of tea and idli at abhiruchi - tasty food and decent staff.

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_0903.jpg
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_0910.jpg
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_0913.jpg
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_0915.jpg
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_0923.jpg
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_0925.jpg
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_0928.jpg
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_0931.jpg

Route after Sirsi was okay till Haveri SH:2

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_0937.jpg

after that its NH:48 all the way to home.

- Johnny
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_0882.jpg  

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_0918.jpg  

janardan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 13:27   #5215
Distinguished - BHPian

Need help with Shimoga-Goa route. Google maps suggests the following options to reach NH66:

1. Shimoga - Sagar - Badala - Kolageri - Kumta NH66

2. Shimoga - Sirsi - Vajagadde - Vaddi - Ankola NH66 (Seems to be a very rural road, Vajagadde-Vaddi route is visible only if I zoom in)

This route is not even suggested, and if I select it manually, I don't see much difference in travel time.

3. Shimoga - Sagar - Valagaddu - Honnavar NH66 (I wonder why Google does not even give this route as an option)

I will be traveling during day time and won't be needing any food/rest breaks till I reach NH66 - which route will offer a pleasant (relatively ;-)) drive? I would prefer "average through out" to "great + horrible stretches". Thanks.
Old 9th October 2021, 13:37   #5216
BHPian

Could someone please confirm if we should get -ve RTPCR test for kids (under 18) to travel to Goa ?
Old 10th October 2021, 17:54   #5217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
1. Shimoga - Sagar - Badala - Kolageri - Kumta NH66
Decided to follow the above Google recommended route and it was decent, hardly any traffic - had a good drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Could someone please confirm if we should get -ve RTPCR test for kids (under 18) to travel to Goa ?
They are checking only for adults, just once at the border.
androdev is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 18:22   #5218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
They are checking only for adults, just once at the border.
Double Vaccine certificate will do right ? Is -ve certificate for adults mandatory ?
Old 10th October 2021, 20:15   #5219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Double Vaccine certificate will do right ? Is -ve certificate for adults mandatory ?
Yes, the print out of certificate that shows both doses are taken. I entered Goa from Karwar side. It took hardly a minute to get past the check post - rolled down the window, handed over the certificate copies of wife and mine. Cop checked the names on the certificates, asked who is X and Y and we were good to go. No questions about my kids in the car.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 20:51   #5220
BHPian

Hi,

If this is a repeat, sorry about that. Got a little overwhelmed reading all the options to reach Goa from Bangalore. We are planning a December trip from Bangalore to South Goa, in all probability to Cavelossim Beach.

Qtn 1 = Route. Google maps shows Bangalore > Neelamangala > Tumkur > Davangere > Bankapura > Yelapur (not through Hubli) > Ankola > Karwar > Cavelossim. Just checking if this route is okay.

Qtn 2 = Place to halt for the night. We are planning to amble on to Goa, instead of rushing it, and we therefore need to halt. Any suggestions on cities / town on the way. Would this necessitate us going up to Hubli, as opposed to the above suggested route.

Thanks !

Last edited by vinodrkn : 10th October 2021 at 20:52. Reason: Typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks