Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2021, 14:04   #5251
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

I see a lot of queries and concerns and confusions around the Amnod stretch. Just wanted to make few things clear here.

The route via Anmod is still recommended to enter Varca/Benaulim/Colva area and this should be your ideal route:
- Take the exit on Hubli-Dharwad Bypass for Alnavar-Ramnagar (popularly known as "Goa Road") which is 26 Km from the entry toll booth
- Continue to drive on this road crossing Alnavar and Ramnagar
- Post Ramnagar, you must deviate towards Tinai (Bhimghad Sanctuary)in order to avoid the bad stretch from here till Anmod checkpost
- Take the first right onto Tinai here
- Take the next left towards Anmod checkpost
- Take the right at Anmod checkpost towards Mollem
Note: You will not be allowed through Tinai between 2100-0600.

The reason why you are taking the above detour is to avoid the bad sections on the regular highway that leads to Anmod. Instead, you take a small detour via Tinai and reach Anmod via an alternate (and better) road. The below image illustrates what is being referred to here. What is marked in red is what you need to avoid and take the detour into Tinai and reach the other end:

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-tinai-detour.jpg

The route that you will still take:
Dharwad Bypass - Alnavar - Ramnagar - Tinai Turn off - Anmod Checkpost - Mollem - Goa (Destination)

So, it is still the Anmod route that is being referred to here but you only need to take a small detour into Tinai and avoid the bad stretches.

Here is a short clip from the Tinai section captured last Monday:

Last edited by paragsachania : 18th October 2021 at 14:26.
paragsachania is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 14:12   #5252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Note: You will not be allowed through Tinai between 2100-0600
I think vehicles are allowed to use the Bhimgad WLS road only from 6 AM to 6 PM, isn't it?

Quote:
I may be wrong on the evening timings, but for the morning it is certainly 6am. A friend started from Mapusa at 3am and had to wait for an hour almost at Anmod checkpost to be allowed into Tinai towards Dharwad.
Checked with a relative in Margao. According to him, entry to the WLS from both ends (Anmod and Khanapur) of this road is prohibited for vehicles from 6 PM to 6 AM. If you have already entered the WLS before 6 PM, you are allowed to cross it, even if it's after 6 PM by the time you exit it. However, it's always better to err on the side of caution and plan the journey so that one has exited the WLS before 6 pm.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 18th October 2021 at 14:35.
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 14:18   #5253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I think vehicles are allowed to use the Bhimgad WLS road only from 6 AM to 6 PM, isn't it?
I may be wrong on the evening timings, but for the morning it is certainly 6am. A friend started from Mapusa at 3am and had to wait for an hour almost at Anmod checkpost to be allowed into Tinai towards Dharwad.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 10:26   #5254
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I see a lot of queries and concerns and confusions around the Amnod stretch. Just wanted to make few things clear here.

The reason why you are taking the above detour is to avoid the bad sections on the regular highway that leads to Anmod. Instead, you take a small detour via Tinai and reach Anmod via an alternate (and better) road.
Crystal clear now, Parag . The Tinai road looks excellent unless you are faced with substantial traffic from the other side.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 11:33   #5255
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

Planning for a trip to Goa from Chennai between the 30th to 6th of November. Will reach Bangalore on the afternoon of 30th and am planning for an early start on the 31st morning. Destination is Novotel, Cavelossim.

Would the best route be Bangalore - Bankapura - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - Cavelossim? Read through the last few pages and saw that its better to do a Bankapura - Tadas - Kalaghatgi - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar route. Does this still hold good?

We will be in 3 vehicles, 2 S-Crosses and 1 City. 3 families and 3 kids, who are used to long drives in cars. Thank you.
Old 19th October 2021, 14:05   #5256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Would the best route be Bangalore - Bankapura - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - Cavelossim? Read through the last few pages and saw that its better to do a Bankapura - Tadas - Kalaghatgi - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar route. Does this still hold good?
Bangapura -> Mundgod -> Yellapur -> Ankola -> Karwar would be the normal route. The Mundgod section would be narrow but won't be an issue.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 15:08   #5257
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Planning for a trip to Goa from Chennai between the 30th to 6th of November. Will reach Bangalore on the afternoon of 30th and am planning for an early start on the 31st morning. Destination is Novotel, Cavelossim.

We will be in 3 vehicles, 2 S-Crosses and 1 City. 3 families and 3 kids, who are used to long drives in cars. Thank you.
For Cavelossim, I would still take the route shown by paragsachania. Its a lot simpler IMO
manku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 15:52   #5258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

For destination being Cavelossim, you can consider the Anmod route itself. That works best.

Route Conditions for those taking Anmod route:

Dharwad - Alnavar - Ramnagar:
  • Good roads with regular placement of large speedbreakers
  • Bad roads around ROBs at 2 locations
  • Post Ramnagar till Tinai turn-off, wide concretized roads
  • Tinai Ghat - Good roads with very small patchy section(s)
  • Anmod checkpost till Goa Border - Good Roads
  • Goa Border and beyond - Excellent Roads

For those considering taking the Kalhatgi-Yellapura-Ankola route, especially for south Goa destinations, it would be better to stick to either Tadas Kallhatgi or Hubli Bypass Kalhatgi over the Bankapura option. This is because the Bankapura Mungod Yellapura which actually cuts shorts the distance and helps you connect direclty at Yellapura may not be suitable for those who don't like narrow roads. Especially the Mungod to Yellapura stretch is really narrow that if you are stuck behind a vehicle, chances are less that you will overtake that. And now with rains, the sides of the roads would also have become quite soft/slushy too.

Here's how narrow that section is (this was in March):

paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 19:48   #5259
BHPian

Hello folks,

I am driving to Benaulim Goa from Bangalore this 21st and returning on 24th. I am planning to take the Bankapur - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar route both ways. Is this the preferred route?

There would be four of us, three of whom are fully vaccinated. We have done the RT-PCR for our son aged 16 to enter Goa. Do we need any such test to enter back into Karnataka?

Also what are good breakfast/lunch places near Ranebennur/Haveri and Ankola/Karwar?

Any pointers would be helpful.

Thanks,
Prasad
Old 19th October 2021, 21:28   #5260
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnredkar View Post
Hello folks,

I am driving to Benaulim Goa from Bangalore this 21st and returning on 24th. I am planning to take the Bankapur - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar route both ways. Is this the preferred route?

There would be four of us, three of whom are fully vaccinated. We have done the RT-PCR for our son aged 16 to enter Goa. Do we need any such test to enter back into Karnataka?

Also what are good breakfast/lunch places near Ranebennur/Haveri and Ankola/Karwar?

Thanks,
Prasad
For lunch, Amrut at Karwar is excellent. Expect high wait times after 1:00pm though. Parvathi is also a great place for food ( no decent washrooms though).
m8002? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 00:45   #5261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is because the Bankapura Mungod Yellapura which actually cuts shorts the distance and helps you connect direclty at Yellapura may not be suitable for those who don't like narrow roads. Especially the Mungod to Yellapura stretch is really narrow that if you are stuck behind a vehicle, chances are less that you will overtake that. And now with rains, the sides of the roads would also have become quite soft/slushy too.
One may check driving time requirement using Google map. At Bankapur toll gate, search for direction to Yellapur and you will find multiple route options. Please check time estimation for both the route options that is Bankapur - Mundgod - Yellapur and Bankapur - Tadas - Kalaghatgi - Yellapur. If the time difference is not much, I would prefer Tadas route.

Last edited by airbus : 20th October 2021 at 00:46.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 09:42   #5262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
One may check driving time requirement using Google map. At Bankapur toll gate, search for direction to Yellapur and you will find multiple route options. Please check time estimation for both the route options that is Bankapur - Mundgod - Yellapur and Bankapur - Tadas - Kalaghatgi - Yellapur. If the time difference is not much, I would prefer Tadas route.
I have done this multiple times by using the most common start and end points for multiple routes. The Anmod route still ends up showing the shortest time.

However, this alone should never be taken as the decision making criteria to choose a specific route. It is always the route conditions that take precedence over anything else, and needless to say, the latest updates shared by those who travelled.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 14:01   #5263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnredkar View Post
Hello folks,

Thanks,
Prasad

Just returned from Bernaulim yesterday evening. Took the Dharwad - Ramnagar - Tinai - Anmod route. I'd suggest you stick to this route for Bernaulim / Colva. Please also read post #5251 by Parag Sachania.

For Breakfast, try Apoorva resorts near Davangere. Vaccination certificates are checked at Mollem upon entering Goa (carry printouts). RTPCR for your child should be ok as well. Same holds for returning upon entering Karnataka.
loki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 14:54   #5264
BHPian

Additional question: Has anyone recently taken the Haveri - Sirsi - Ankola route to Goa that was recommended to me? How is the road condition now?
Old 22nd October 2021, 07:27   #5265
BHPian

Hi folks
Planning to do Chennai - Goa via Jog falls as below
Day 1 Saturday 6 AM - 7 PM
Chennai - Bangalore - Tumakuru - Hiriyur - Hosadurga - Tarikere - Shivamogga ( night stay )

Day 2
Shivmogga - jog falls - Honavar - kumta - Ankola- Karwar - Palolem

Kindly let me know if you see any red flags in this please. Also, how are the roads between Bangalore and Shivamogga ??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks