Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2022, 12:12   #5581
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Just to summarise the current conditions of the BLR-Dharwad-Mollem route. Requesting others to add any more thoughts
I just did this stretch on Sunday and here is a summary of the drive and road conditions.
  • Left Hebbal at 6:30 AM and reached Le Meridian, Candolim at 4:30 PM. 2 breaks of 40 minutes and 20 minutes each.
  • Heavy traffic till Dobaspet after which it thins out a bit. This a 4 lane stretch that had a lot of slow moving trucks on both lanes. Dodbaspet to Tumkur is again a 4 lane stretch with one speed breaker on the highway, 7 kms before Tumkur.
  • Tumkur to Hubli is an excellent 6 lane highway with no diversions and speed signage marked for 100 KMPH. There are stretches where the limits suddenly drop to 80 and I couldn’t figure out any compelling reason for that.
  • Speed checks by interceptors between Chitradurga and Rannebennur, 3 as I counted. I was doing 100 on cruise control and was flagged down by an idiot cop who jaywalked onto the middle lane in an attempt to stop me. I moved to right lane and did not bother to stop as I was within speed limits and breaking hard would have resulted in a possible rear ending.
  • Hubli Dharwad stretch is a dual lane carriageway with no dividers, lots of morons who come charging at you on the wrong side. Best to keep it under 80 for this stretch. Lots of blind spots as a result of roads rolling up and down.
  • Dharwad Ramnagar Ponda has decent dual lane carriageway with no dividers and concrete stretch on Karnataka side and excellent tarred stretch on Goa side. Be aware of steep drops on 3 different locations where the concrete roads end suddenly and there is a deep fall to the unpaved stretch. It feels like climbing down and then up a stair in your car. This is in and around Ramnagar once the concrete stretches start. Also the level crossings have uneven surface with speed breakers ending in hidden potholes on the drop side.
  • Goa has speed limit set at 60. No speed checks in Goa and traffic was/is very thin in Goa. No RTPCR checks though there were strict checking of non GA cars in both Goa and Karnataka check posts for outbound traffic, possibly to catch folks carrying alcohol across state borders.
I stopped at Apoorva for breakfast at 9:30 AM. Service is very slow and the food is OKish. If there are better recommendations for food around this area, please share them.

Last edited by SR-71 : 10th May 2022 at 12:20.
SR-71 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 19:17   #5582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Well, it depends on what time you start and where you want to have lunch. Hubli itself is one option but it is too close to Karwar (and maybe too early for lunch at Hubli). But there are a few good options in Hubli if you prefer that.

Else from Hubli to Bangalore, on NH48, there are a few usual options that are discussed here (Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries)

My usual stop is Apoorva Resorts near Davangere (https://goo.gl/maps/zEgsmsqHncwFLa5o7). This is a place with spacious parking, clean and spacious restaurant, and clean restrooms. However, this will be on the opposite side when you are driving from Hubli to Bangalore. If you could find appropriate U-turns, this is still a good option.

A couple of good options for you (on the correct side while driving from Hubli to Bangalore, i.e. on your left hand side), near Chitradurga, are these:

1. Sarvodaya Veg: https://g.page/sarvodaya-veg?share

2. Upadhya Ruchi: https://goo.gl/maps/d2G1n2dHkv6sXogb8

thank you sir,

This is really very helpful information and will help me in planning.

My plan is as follows

Mumbai - Kolhapur (overnight stay)
Kolhapur - Karwar (2 night stay - JLR property)
Karwar - Bangalore (2 night stay, have a social obligation to fulfill)
Bangalore - Kolhapur (1 night stay) - is this doable ?
Kolhapur - Mumbai

Our initial plan was to cover these places via flights but they are exorbitantly costly and the trains take too long to cover these distances (leaves from office are a luxury), hence contemplating a drive.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 10th May 2022, 20:34   #5583
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
My plan is as follows

Mumbai - Kolhapur (overnight stay)
Kolhapur - Karwar (2 night stay - JLR property)
Karwar - Bangalore (2 night stay, have a social obligation to fulfill)
Bangalore - Kolhapur (1 night stay) - is this doable ?
Kolhapur - Mumbai
This plan is totally fine and doable quite easily.

In fact, I would drive Mumbai to Karwar in one day (quite doable if you start from Mumbai early in the morning). Similarly, Bangalore-Kolhapur is very easy in one day. Most people drive Bangalore to Mumbai the same day if they start early at around 4AM from Bangalore. It all depends on what time of the day you start from the respective starting points.

So yes, your plan is quite doable. You can even speed it up if you are an experienced driver and start early. But please do not push yourself. If you are not comfortable driving long distances, and/or just want to take it easy, your plan is perfectly fine. Just go ahead with your plan and with what you feel comfortable with.

Drive safe and have a good trip!
Old 11th May 2022, 06:32   #5584
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
I just did this stretch on Sunday and here is a summary of the drive and road conditions.
Superbly captured, nothing much left to add here .

A few random thoughts:
Was lucky with 3 interceptors at Davangere, Haveri & Mollem. First was still setting up, second was haggling with another party & the third, a cab flashed his lights, and on a premonition, I slowed down from a cautious 80 to a sloth-like 60.

Be in a peaceful & composed state of mind on the ghat section. Ideally, follow (at a litt distance) a local vehicle and observe his braking and line taken. Those concrete - tarmac - concrete transitions can be catastrophic if you miss them.

Very sharp drop-offs on the edges, do not get too close. Also, crab across the level crossing speedbreakers very carefully. Doable but needs judgement. Let any impatient vehicles pass and don't get hurried.

Goa roads are excellent mostly. Watch out at intersections as some are not adequately signposted and unclear which is the primary vs secondary road.
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 10:37   #5585
BHPian

I am driving from Bangalore to Goa (Benaulim). Since my car is a Dzire with average ground clearance, what is the best route?
Old 16th May 2022, 11:02   #5586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudden123 View Post
I am driving from Bangalore to Goa (Benaulim). Since my car is a Dzire with average ground clearance, what is the best route?
The route discussed above via Mollem wildlife sanctuary will work for you. Both I and fellow member @Itwasntme did this stretch on low slung sedans. Please lookup the posts above for pointers.
SR-71 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 16:55   #5587

Any latest update if RTPCR is needed to travel from Bangalore to Goa? My younger daughter is partially vaccinated and that’s the concern.
Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 19:45   #5588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimsim View Post
Any latest update if RTPCR is needed to travel from Bangalore to Goa? My younger daughter is partially vaccinated and that’s the concern.
Thanks
Travelled from Goa to Bangalore two weeks ago. No rtpcr checks anywhere. Only bottle checks while entering KA. That too exempted if you are with family.
Old 24th May 2022, 18:11   #5589
BHPian

Just did the Panjim-Bangalore drive via Anmod on May 23, 2022. Would like to elaborate on this and have broken this into a few sections.

Panjim – Mollem Checkpost (57km section)
A combination of divided 4 lane roads and undivided 2 lane roads. Roads are well demarcated with line markings. Watch out for cattle on the road & interceptors, mostly in the Khandepar to Mollem section. Usually in the early mornings, one interceptor team awaits you at Kundai Madkai Circle! Also watch out for 10 blind curves in the Dharbonda to Mollem section. A nice place to stop is ‘Hotel Amigos Family Bar and Restaurant’ at Dharbondara and most reliable fuel pump before exiting Goa is ‘Chaitanya Petroleum Indian Oil Petrol Pump’ at Dharbondara. Petrol at 97.53/L

Mollem checkpost – Anmod (20km section)
An undivided 2 lane asphalt road, well laid out with line markings till the Goa Border. Beyond that the asphalt road turns into a poorly laid RCC road to Anmod sans line markings. Watch out for a few unbanked curves, unfinished road shoulders, metal rebars along the road and one cranky dip on a curve. Stop safely for valley views & booze check at KA side.

Anmod – Gharli (23km section)
An unfinished undivided road, work of which has been put on hold by the High Court. Poorly laid concrete in some sections and extremely uneven surface to drive on. Incomplete portions have been asphalted in some areas to enable connectivity and this seems to be giving way. The monsoon will test this section soon. Watch out for a major road dip immediately after a bridge crossing, dips where the concrete road ends (low cars might have to take it easy), some unfinished road patches, one railway crossing and not to forget a lot of incomplete road infrastructure.

Gharli – Dharwad Toll Gate (58km section)
An undivided 2 lane asphalt road, which is operated by GVRMP Dharwad Ramnagar Tollways, that narrows down in forest sections. Watch out for unbanked curves, table top pedestrian crossings at villages, plenty of speed breakers, three railway crossings with two unfinished flyovers languishing for close to a decade. All this for a toll of INR 55! A nice place to stop is ‘Hotel Taj’ 11km from Gharli, which usually gets overwhelmed when crowded.

Dharwad Toll Gate – Gabbur Toll Gate (27km section)
An undivided 2 lane asphalt road, which is operated by NICE. The only section of the national highway that is without a median and unfit to be called a highway! Though the upgradation work has been announced, they are yet to hit ground. From reports, this section will be handed by NICE to NHAI only in 2024. Watch out for everything on this section! Drive safe!

Gabbur – Tumkur start (335km section)
Every driver’s delight to drive on this section. Watch out for two incomplete flyovers at Motebennur and Chattra.

Tumkur bye pass (12km section)
A divided 2 lane asphalt road. The only section of the national highway that has a traffic signal at Kyathasandra Cross! No signs of any upgradation. A big shout out to NHAI who recently renovated this section only for the potholes to appear again!

Kyathsandra/Tumkur/ Chokkenahalli Toll Gate – Neelamangala Toll Gate (35km section)
Every driver’s patience can be tested on this section. Watch out for numerous median openings, trailers and tractors crisscrossing. No signs of any much needed upgradation.

Neelamangala Toll Gate onwards
Every driver’s ordeal to get home depending upon the time you enter!

Last edited by chorispao : 24th May 2022 at 18:22.
chorispao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 08:32   #5590
BHPian

I happened to read through a FB post in taigun owners page and I could relate that he is talking of this Anmod section.

Here is his quote
Quote:
Was reluctant to post this for some time now, but i have to, so that others can take precaution while driving.
Accident happened on the 30th of April. Was on the way from Goa to Pune on a 5 day family vacation. me, wife and my son. the accident happened at Anmod Ghat 7:40am in between Goa and Karnataka border. 16km uphill after Goa border.
A downhill oncoming Tamil Nadu registered Toyota Glaza was speeding on a curved part of the ghat and encroached into my lane and crashed into the driver side. Just a few turns earlier i had noticed fast oncoming vehicles, coming downhill and too close to my lane which was scary and so i started being carefull and slower, but unfortunatly i couldn't escape this Toyota driver.
The damage on my Taigun was on the drivers side both driver and back passenger doors were grazed and dented and back trye ruptured. we actually didn't feel much inside the car but a tud. anyway the Toyota's front tyre and axle broke and the engine protection was damaged, he couldn't move his car.
I was so furious at this guy, i was scolding him so much, anyway he realised his mistake and apologised and the other 2 occupants of his car, his friends helped to change my tyre to the spare one.
after that i checked my Taigun and all was fine, no faults shown, so i continued drving to the nearest VW in Belgavi. they checked and found that the rear axle was a degree bend and my alloy rim was lightly damaged and could not be used anymore. Anyway i had to leave my Taigun at Belgavi for repairs and had to rent another car to continue on my vacation. The axle, back door, tyre and rim had to be replaced. the front door was repaired. it is still in the workshop and will only get back the car end of this week....
what an aweful experience. The whole idea of the vacation was a road trip with Taigun and family.
so the only lesson from this is please drive safe and slow and don't be too overconfident and those who like to drive recklessly..please don't, you are endangering yours and others lives.
But i have to say that i am very happy with the build quality of the VW Taigun and would recommend this car as being a very safe car.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-281170469_10228802016938212_363187937349945698_n.jpg  

Attached Images

redcruiser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 02:11   #5591
BHPian

Got back from a 4 day trip to Palolem beach. Took the Bankapur - Mundgod - Yellapur - Ankola route both ways. Road is fine entire stretch. There is a km long gravel stretch being repaired near Mundgod but is entirely manageable. I guess this will be my default route for Palolem/ Patnem/ Agonda. Although i still will prefer Dharwad - Mollem in case im heading to Colva/ Bernaulim.

Departed Blore on Tuesday at 5.30 AM - took 8 hrs with 2 stops - Apoorva for Breakfast and Indraprastha, Yellapur for a quick bio break. Avoid Indraprastha as the loos were extremely unclean

Left Palolem on Saturday at 11 AM - took 9.5 hrs to reach home with 2 stops - Coastal Crown in Yellapur for lunch (only decent place in Yellapur) and Upadhya Ruchi for Chai.
Old 29th May 2022, 16:49   #5592
BHPian

I happened to login to my FastTag account for something & decided to retrieve the toll charges for Bangalore-Goa-Bangalore trip. It works out to Rs 1,165. This is from Hebbal to Candolim. FastTag amounts Rs. 1,045/- and does not include the Rs.60 you pay cash each way for the Dharwad - Ramnagar stretch.

Name:  GoaTolls.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  72.3 KB
Old 29th May 2022, 18:51   #5593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
I happened to login to my FastTag account for something & decided to retrieve the toll charges for Bangalore-Goa-Bangalore trip. It works out to Rs 1,165. This is from Hebbal to Candolim.
Well, I too calculated the amount and if you go via NICE road you will end up paying more than one rupee per kilometer. That's insane according to me. Same story for Mumbai trip. I paid around 2600/- to-fro and the actual distance traveled was approx 2100km. Is that fair after paying few lacs for road tax for (car's) life time? (car's life is too short, just 15 years )

Last edited by rajivtelang : 29th May 2022 at 19:07.
Old 30th May 2022, 16:53   #5594

I am set to travel to North Goa (Mandrem) from Bangalore on Thursday 2nd June. As this is my first long drive with my family (wife and pet), I decided to stop over at Hubballi and resume my journey to North Goa next morning on 3rd June. I am driving a Suzuki Dzire Petrol.
I am still confused about the best route to take for my journey from Hubballi to North Goa.
Which is the safest, hassle-free route even if it is a little longer, as I do have enough time on my hand on the second day between Hubballi and North Goa?

The routes I have been researching are as below:
1) Hubballi - Dharwad - Anmod - Mollem - Panjim - North Goa (Mandrem)
2) Hubballi - Dharwad - Belgavi - Jamboti - Chorla - Bicholim - North Goa (Mandrem)

Also, if the Chorla route is better, can you please help me with exact driving directions to North Goa (Mandrem) from Hubballi's M Visweswarayya Marg onwards. Not sure if I should really enter Belagavi city before going to Jamboti on my way to Chorla.
Thanks a lot!
Old 31st May 2022, 03:24   #5595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpthomas View Post
Which is the safest, hassle-free route even if it is a little longer, as I do have enough time on my hand on the second day between Hubballi and North Goa?
I've done both routes in the last 6 months. Without a doubt, please stick to Dharwad - Ramnagar - Anmod - Mollem. Comparatively better quality / wider roads in general. And options of refreshments/ bio breaks at Ramnagar.

Chorla has several narrow sections. If you still consider Chorla, you don't need to go all the way to Belagavi. You can turn off at MK Hubli and go via Khanapur.

Last edited by loki : 31st May 2022 at 03:29.
loki is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks