Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2009, 10:50   #601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
HI,

I am planning for a week long vacation(7 days). I intend to spend 3 days in Goa and rest of the time midway.
Browsing through the last few posts, I could figure out that the best way to go would be
Bangalore -> Shimoga -> Jog -> Honavar -> Murudeshwar -> Honavar -> Gokarna -> Karwar -> Goa.

But the twist for me is that I need to attend a marriage in Mysore. I was thinking of continuing for Goa from mysore.
Since its a pleasure trip, I intend to take it easy and not rush to the destination.
I intend to see Jog falls, Murdeshwara temple, Om Beach, Karwar(Are there any places of interest here?)and finally Goa.

The plan that I have come up with:
Day 1: Start from Mys@5am. Route: Unknown. Visit Jog falls. Night Stay in Murdeshwara. Distance: Unknown.
Day 2: Visit Murdeshwara temple and beach. Start for Gokarna by 10am. Distance ~80kms. Visit Om Beach. Drive down to Karwar. Night Stay in karwar.
Day 3: Start@5am. Reach Goa by noon.
Day4: Goa
Day5: Goa.
Day6: Start from Goa by 11 am. Which route to take back?Dont want to drive down the whole distance in 1 day. Any other route that I can take which will cover some other place where I can stay?
Day 7: Reach bangalore by 10pm.

Appreciate if you could please help me plan the trip.

Regards,
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnandi View Post
Hi Mohit,
I am also scheduled for a vacation in Goa during the 4th week of Sep (7 days), but am in two minds now due to the swine flu scare. So, if you finally go and once you are back, do update this thread as to what is the situation there and if everything is in normal condition. That would encourage a lot of people here to go to Goa.

I am also planning for a vacation in GOA around 4th week of september or 1st week of october ! thats when everyone is having off days i guess

I will be doing this in my palio 1.2, and would like to have your help in deciding the route !!
We are 4 guys and hence no problem with safety aspect i hope, and i am planning for a route to be scenic and pleasurable because our plan is to leave bangalore early by 2 or 3 AM, and cover good distance before we stop for scenic beauties on the way.. which route to choose? If anyone else is also travelling around this time, i am open to team up and its great to have company of fellow bhpians on a pleasure trip

Please post up some info on the route guys !
Old 27th August 2009, 11:46   #602
Senior - BHPian

[quote=kri$hna;1452321.........cover good distance before we stop for scenic beauties on the way.. which route to choose?
Please post up some info on the route guys ![/quote]

scenic route= via shimoga. fast route = via hubli and ankola. period. previous post carry way too much info on both these routes.
Old 27th August 2009, 12:18   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post

Please post up some info on the route guys !
I have decided to take Karwar route while going and NH4A+NH4 while coming back.

I will be starting from Mysore on Sep 21@5am. Visit jog falls and they stay put in murdeshwara for the night and then proceed towards gokarna, goa the next day.

Let me know if it overlaps with your plans, we can definitely sync up.

Regards,
Old 27th August 2009, 12:34   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
I have decided to take Karwar route while going and NH4A+NH4 while coming back.

I will be starting from Mysore on Sep 21@5am. Visit jog falls and they stay put in murdeshwara for the night and then proceed towards gokarna, goa the next day.

Let me know if it overlaps with your plans, we can definitely sync up.

Regards,
Karwar falls in both shimoga route and the GQ route i guess.. confused about which route u r referrinh to ..

I will confirm my trip plan timings in a day or two ..
Old 27th August 2009, 12:58   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
Karwar falls in both shimoga route and the GQ route i guess.. confused about which route u r referrinh to ..

I will confirm my trip plan timings in a day or two ..
Mysore-KR Nagar-Hassan-Belur-Chikmagalur-Lingadahalli-Tarikere-Shimoga-Sagar-Jog Falls->Honavar -> Murudeshwar

is the route that I think I will take.
Old 31st August 2009, 12:06   #606
Senior - BHPian

@Ravi, goandude and all GA BHPians,

Any latest updates on road condition and weather? Conting down to 18th September
Old 31st August 2009, 20:43   #607
Senior - BHPian

Visiting Siddapur and then Goa

Hi All,

I need to visit Siddapur and then continue to Goa. The obvious route that I need to take from Bangalore is via Shimoga. Could anybody please help about the road condition between Bangalore - Shimoga and then to Siddapur?

Also please let me know how to proceed to Siddapur from Shimoga as there could be multiple small roads and being in monsoon season they could be in bad condition. I have a little santro car which is expected to be full with my relatives.

Thanks in advnce
Rajiv
Old 31st August 2009, 21:15   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Hi All,

I need to visit Siddapur and then continue to Goa. The obvious route that I need to take from Bangalore is via Shimoga. Could anybody please help about the road condition between Bangalore - Shimoga and then to Siddapur?

Also please let me know how to proceed to Siddapur from Shimoga as there could be multiple small roads and being in monsoon season they could be in bad condition. I have a little santro car which is expected to be full with my relatives.

Thanks in advnce
Rajiv
I Rajiv, I remember that one can go from Shimoga to Siddapur via Sagar.
Sagar- Siddapur road is direct. By car it is an hour drive from sagar.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 31st August 2009 at 21:17.
Old 1st September 2009, 11:25   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could anybody please help about the road condition between Bangalore - Shimoga ?
The road condition between Bangalore - Shimoga is in good condition, slightly inconviniece between Bhadravathi-Shimoga due to 4 lane conversion. Also Just beware of the sudden road humps between Tumkur-Tiptur
Old 1st September 2009, 18:00   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Also please let me know how to proceed to Siddapur from Shimoga
Rajiv, from Shimoga, Sagar is 72 kms. Continue another 16 kms till you reach Talaguppa. From here there is a junction. Take right deviation (straight goes to Honnavar via Jog) SH-93 which goes to Sirsi via Siddapura.

For your onward journey to Goa, you can continue on the same SH-93 to Sirsi - Mirjan - Karwar.

Road condition throughout is OK. I have travelled on this route on my Sparky without any problems.
Old 3rd September 2009, 16:14   #611
Senior - BHPian

Planning for Goa wanted to know how is the road condition for the route. Which would less crowded and which one would be scenic? Planning to do this on bike []

Route 1: Bangalore > Tumkur > Chitradurga > Davangere > Kittur > Panaji

Route 2: Bangalore > Tumkur > Tiptur > Shimoga > Honavar > Ankola > Panaji
Old 3rd September 2009, 16:20   #612
Senior - BHPian

Scenic and less crowded IMHO would be route 2. Have done the Bangalore Goa on bike a long time ago (1990). Am sure Spitfire can give you the current road conditions since he travels on these routes pretty often !
Old 3rd September 2009, 16:40   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Planning for Goa wanted to know how is the road condition for the route. Which would less crowded and which one would be scenic? Planning to do this on bike []

Route 1: Bangalore > Tumkur > Chitradurga > Davangere > Kittur > Panaji

Route 2: Bangalore > Tumkur > Tiptur > Shimoga > Honavar > Ankola > Panaji
Route 1 is shorter (635 km) and faster (10 hrs). BAD road for 14 km after Londa. moreover you do 71% of the drive on NH 4.

Route 2 is marginally longer in distance but significantly longer in time. due to 2 laned roads, frequent speed bumps and villages.

I found route 1 very scenic this time of the year. would not say so in summer.
sorry didnt see that you plan to do it on a bike. in which case the advantage of HN 4 would not be there and the truck traffic would make you sick. for you route 2 will be better. much less traffic.

Last edited by goandude : 3rd September 2009 at 16:44.
Old 3rd September 2009, 16:47   #614
BHPian

Condition of NH 4A?

Can anyone give us the information on the condition of NH 4A?

It was notoriously bad earlier and one of the worst road or I can say no road on this stretch to Goa.

This road is a deviation from NH 4 and comes after Dharwad. And as soon you enter Goa State the road is good again. So, in between a stretch of about 40 kms. approximately is prone to deteriorate in Monsoons.
Old 3rd September 2009, 19:49   #615
Senior - BHPian

There is still rain everyday, So another 5 feet would make Linganamakki reservoir full. If there is heavy rain for couple of days expect water would be released and JOG falls would be nice to watch! This might happen in 3rd week of September although chances are less.

About scenic route via Shimoga is very beautifull one and less tiresome. But nh17 condition is not smooth but not very bad.

Ravi.

Most Viewed