Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2024, 18:07   #6166

Re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
For piece of mind in peak rainy season and considering low GC of your car I recommend following route
Bangalore-Tumkur-Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Goa. Irrespective of your destination of north or south Goa I prefer this road in rainy season. The ghat is not a heavy one, roads in Goa are buttersmooth and other ghats are not recommended in rainy season for low GC cars. This route is a bit longer but with less anxiety while driving.
We did thought of our SUV as an alternative, but its new (for us) and I am still not confident driving it for that long. Hence the Xcent. Thanks for the route suggestions, will follow the same.
Old 10th July 2024, 18:48   #6167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biswasin View Post
We did thought of our SUV as an alternative, but its new (for us) and I am still not confident driving it for that long. Hence the Xcent. Thanks for the route suggestions, will follow the same.
One quick update. You do not have to go all the way to Hubli. There is a new bypass before Gabbur on NH48/4. That will take you directly to Hubli Ankola road. Please follow gmaps for the same.

Ghats cannot be avoided to reach Goa. This ghat is the lightest one in terms of the gradient in my opinion with wider roads compared to other Anmod or Chorla ghats.

With SUVs too you cannot judge the depth of a pothole if filled with muddy water. Avoid entering potholes and just watch cars ahead how they negotiate on road as best practice in rainy season.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th July 2024 at 11:38. Reason: Spacing for readability
rajivtelang is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 11:02   #6168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
For piece of mind in peak rainy season and considering low GC of your car I recommend following route
Bangalore-Tumkur-Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Goa. Irrespective of your destination of north or south Goa I prefer this road in rainy season. The ghat is not a heavy one, roads in Goa are buttersmooth and other ghats are not recommended in rainy season for low GC cars. This route is a bit longer but with less anxiety while driving.
Question - does one need to go till Hubli or can one switch from Tadas to Kalaghatgi? I am headed to Anjuna early July and want to avoid unexpected issues in Anmod during rains. I will be taking my Micra instead of vRS so I am OK with ground clearance perspective.
Old 11th July 2024, 13:01   #6169
BHPian

Hi All
Had to travel to Goa at short notice and opted for the KSRTC Airavath. As we touched Hubli at 4am this morning July 11, the drivers had received notifications to divert via Karwar. Given to understand that the 11km stretch between Anmod & Tinai is in bad shape i.e pits & flooding. Will update the group on Sunday. The Hubli - Ankola road is OK, with the usual tarmac issues and now is the best option to Goa.
Regards,
Chorispao
chorispao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 18:18   #6170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
Question - does one need to go till Hubli or can one switch from Tadas to Kalaghatgi? I am headed to Anjuna early July and want to avoid unexpected issues in Anmod during rains. I will be taking my Micra instead of vRS so I am OK with ground clearance perspective.
Cannot comment on Tadas Kalghatgi road since not taken for long. I prefer NH in rainy seasons to be safe.
rajivtelang is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 21:25   #6171
Senior - BHPian

Have to head to Dabolim the day after - is the Mundgod - Yellapur forest road in ok shape, or better to turn off from Hubli? Saw that the Mollem route has major potholes/some flooding so avoiding.
Old 18th July 2024, 08:25   #6172
BHPian

I returned from Karwar on 17 July. There were landslides near Shirur village in Ankola taluk with unfortunate loss of life.

In Karwar City, police are stopping cars and advising not to take Karwar to Ankola road as there were some flooding/water logging near or after Naval base area.

We took Karwar-Dandeli road, it is very scenic road and 70% of the roads are good. About 50KMs before Dandeli the road surface is bad. Overall a very pleasant drive.
vaspro is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th July 2024, 14:06   #6173
Senior - BHPian

Our drive on the 17th via Bankapur-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar was finally very pleasant and without any hiccups. Lovely weather and beautiful green everywhere. The road was good except in patches. Raining heavily today again so unnsure how it'll be today - a little before the naval base there seemed to have been waterlogging the day before we travelled - had drained out in a few hours of the rain slowing down.
Old 18th July 2024, 18:40   #6174
Distinguished - BHPian

News today:

Landslide disrupts traffic on Goa-Karnataka route; IMD issues 'orange' alert

Read more at: https://www.deccanherald.com/india/k...-alert-3110599
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2024, 11:29   #6175

Which route is currently (around 28th July) better for Bangalore to Goa considering the landslides, water logging etc?
Old 22nd July 2024, 08:36   #6176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorispao View Post
Hi All
Will update the group on Sunday.
The last two weeks has seen a spell of pounding rain in the coastal area and ghats and the 11km stretch Anmod-Tinai was pitted and flooded. On my return to Bangalore on the KSRTC Airavath (July 21) via the Anmod Ghat, the flooding issues have been resolved, but the waterlogged pits remain! Even small cars (low GC) were able to manage through this section. Just that this section need some patience to manoeuvre. Quite concerning are the three bridges in this 11km section which are badly pitted and the return of the Anmod 'rim bender'. Rest is all good to go.
Regards,
Chorispao
chorispao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 09:30   #6177
BHPian

Dear Tribe,
I am starting from Bellandur in Bangalore on 25th night to Palolem, it will be an overnight drive.
Kindly suggest -
1. Which route would be the safest to go. (given the heavy rains/landslides situation)
2. Where all can I take pit stops for a quick tea/coffee break or maybe even a nap in case I feel very sleepy.
3. What all precautions do i need to take? Or what do I need to be careful about?

Kindly suggest!
Thank You and Best Regards
Old 22nd July 2024, 09:41   #6178
BHPian

Hi All,

Even I need to make a trip from BLR > South Goa during the 2nd week of Aug.
As of now the best route I believe is.

Bangalore-Tumkur-Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Goa.
or as per Google Maps
Bangalore-Tumkur-Bankapura >[ Bypass Hubli ] > Mundgod > -Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Goa.

Please let me know if there are any other options, or any other pointers to take into account ?

Ps: I will be driving a Maruti XL6 with family.

Thanks
Fillmore
Old 22nd July 2024, 10:52   #6179
BHPian

Refer to Dr. A.D post # 6162 on this thread, best way to get to South Goa is Bangalore>Hubli Bye pass>Yellapur>Baleguli Cross>Karwar>South Goa.
Regards,
Chorispao

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIL2_HGi10 View Post
Dear Tribe,

1. Which route would be the safest to go. (given the heavy rains/landslides situation)

Thank You and Best Regards
chorispao is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed