Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:09   #706
BHPian

agumbe to karwar via shimoga

How about Agumbe to karwar via shimoga instead of Agumbe to karwar via udupi. Though i know it is longer route, i am ok if the route is scenic, good roads, and less traffic.
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:15   #707
BANNED

Where are all the folks who went to Goa over the last weekend? We had half of Bangalore visiting Goa that weekend. Can those folks give some details for the others.
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:25   #708
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, I would also like to know how is the weather in Goa these days. I would be in Goa for 3 days starting Sunday not taking the car though.
Old 23rd September 2009, 19:11   #709
Senior - BHPian

The roads to Goa as we traversed:

Bangalore-Dobbspet-Tumkur-Tiptur-Arsikere-Shimoga-Sagar-Jog-Honnavar-Kumta-Ankola-Karwar-Goa

the route is pretty ok, the roads from Sagar to Honnavar is slightly damaged
Kumta to Ankola is very bad almost till Karwar, once you enter Goa it is a cool drive.

Return:

Goa-Ponda-Londa-Dandeli-Haliyal-Dharwad-Hubli-Haveri-Chitradurga-Hiriyur-Sira-Tumkur-Dobbspet-Bangalore

Road stretches from Londa to Dandeli is quite bad due to mining lorry movement, Dandeli is an awesome drive.

Once you reach Dharwad and get on to the GQ, no problems till Haveri and Ranibennur, here onwards it is a continous alternating from one lane to another with good and bad stretches thrown in in equal numbers. Chitradurga onwards it is again a breeze to drive on.
Old 23rd September 2009, 19:43   #710
BHPian

Hi Luke,

thanks for the update.
Your opinion on the following route, considering i need to hit south goa:

Bangalore-tumkur-sira-chitradurga-bhadravati-shimoga-sagar-yellapur-ankola-karwar-south goa (663kms) This way i avoid the bad stretch of Kumta-ankola (though 40odd kms longer, i get to save my car.)
Old 23rd September 2009, 21:20   #711
Senior - BHPian

Hi Abhinav, the route you are considering is also not so great ie. between Sagar-Yellapur-Ankola, this is as per some locals we asked at Sagar.

The road through the ghats after Jog is really not all that bad, the bad stretch is really after Kumta and Ankola, or betweem Ankola and Karwar, can't exactly remember as it was getting dark and we kept losing sight of the car behind us and had to slow down a lot.
Old 24th September 2009, 08:09   #712
BHPian

thanks again luke, though i thoroughly confused as to which route to take now.
I am in half a mind to go all the way via hubli-belgaum-amboli-sawantwadi-northgoa-southgoa (this is 720 odd kms) against 660 odd kms compared to the shimoga-yellapur-ankola-karwar route (courtesy google maps)
Old 24th September 2009, 08:18   #713
Senior - BHPian

Back from Goa

Hi All,

We are back from Goa, it was an amazing trip especially with my 8 month son and a friend family. Each of us celebrated the 4 days like never ever in past.

Met TBHPian Amohit with his Wifey on their Esteem and we drove together after Shimoga to Jog and surprise meet in Vagator beach for water-scooter. It was an amazing drive, they would return this weekend only.

Onward Route
--------------

Bangalore > Tumkur > Gubbi > Tiptur > Arasikere > Kadur > Birur> Tarikere > Shimoga > Ayanur > Anandapuram > Sagar > Talaguppa > Jog falls > Mavingundi > Honavar > Kumta > Mirjan > Madangeri > Ankola > Karwar > Paloem > Mashen > Poinguinim > Concolim > Margao > Panaji > Anjuna Bardez

Return Route
-------------

Anjuna Bardez - Sawantwadi - Ambolighats - Belgaum - Kittur - Darward - Huballi - Ranibennur - Davangere - Chitradurga - Tumkur - Bangalore

Both ways had 10% bad patches though the return travel took more distance but almost same time. From NICE rd till Tumkur, there are hell lot of diversions with unscientific humps and poth holes which cant be avoided in both routes. Once we enter Shimoga route from Tumkur, there are lot of surprise humps but not huge ones.

Shall share you more details shortly (yet to make the calculations). Spl thanks to Ravibhat, Laluks, Goandude, Spitfire and all who helped to make this trip wonderful with no hazzles at all .
Old 24th September 2009, 09:48   #714
BHPian

Well then can someone also mention the time taken to get there and back in all routes. This would help in deciding when to leave. We Plan to get to baga before sunset.
Old 24th September 2009, 10:59   #715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Hi Abhinav, the route you are considering is also not so great ie. between Sagar-Yellapur-Ankola, this is as per some locals we asked at Sagar.

The road through the ghats after Jog is really not all that bad, the bad stretch is really after Kumta and Ankola, or betweem Ankola and Karwar, can't exactly remember as it was getting dark and we kept losing sight of the car behind us and had to slow down a lot.
Luke, Sagar to Yellapur via Talguppa-Siddapura-Sirsi was very good when I went to Goa in July. Our very own Ravibhat had told me that Yellapur to Sirsi was in a bad shape. I had decided to take a risk on that route and was surprised to find it relaid. This was during the start of the monsoon. But, I do not think it would have been damaged badly by now. From Yellapur to Ankola, I don't know the conditions.

Abhinav, if you are planning to take the Yellapur-Ankola route go via Hubli and turn towards Kalghatgi-Yellapur. It will be faster and shorter as well. From what I have heard till now, it is good but the only drawback is the mining trucks.
Old 24th September 2009, 11:35   #716
BHPian

hey addy, im confused all over again..... my requirement is good roads at the slight cost of time/distance.
now i seem to have 2 choices -
bangalore-hubli(nh4)-yellapur-ankola(nh63)-karwar-goa(nh17) 669kms
bangalore-belgaum(nh4)-amboli-sawantwadi-north-south goa - 710kms

(distances courtesy google maps, hope they are right)
Old 24th September 2009, 12:11   #717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavj01 View Post
hey addy, im confused all over again..... my requirement is good roads at the slight cost of time/distance.
now i seem to have 2 choices -
bangalore-hubli(nh4)-yellapur-ankola(nh63)-karwar-goa(nh17) 669kms
bangalore-belgaum(nh4)-amboli-sawantwadi-north-south goa - 710kms

(distances courtesy google maps, hope they are right)
both are good.if south is your destination take the yellapur road.

if north is your destination upto Panjim,take the amboli route.

the only difference is that via amboli,you would get an extra 100kms of nh4(hubli-belgaum) and the belgaum-amboli stretch is a ghat section so do it before sunset,road is ok,rough tarmac at some places otherwise ok.
Old 24th September 2009, 12:15   #718
BHPian

thanks again ranjit,

im planning to leave bangalore around 1-2am so i should be clearing ghats before sunset.
I am heading south goa (carmona, near benaulim). i dont mind the extra 100kms as long as time difference aint too much and roads are better.

For yellapur, hubli-yellapur better option than via shimoga rite?
Old 24th September 2009, 12:22   #719
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavj01 View Post
I am heading south goa (carmona, near benaulim). i dont mind the extra 100kms as long as time difference aint too much and roads are better.
Take the Karwar route. You will traverse 3/4th of Goa if you come down Amboli - Sawantwadi - Panaji to get to Carmona.

Carmona once you cross Karwar is within 50-60 kms. Total distance from Blore would be around 610-620 kms. If you come via Amboli add another 150, time taken even if the road conditions are bad on Karwar route will be almost same if not lesser.
Old 24th September 2009, 12:25   #720
BHPian

thanks spit fire, so... my route finalized to bangalore-hubli(nh4)-yellapur-ankola-karwar-carmona

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks