Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2009, 01:21   #796
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys, am just back from Goa. HORRIBLE "to" Goa trip and a good "from" Goa drive! Took Mangalore - Udupi - Ankola - Yellapur - Ramnagar - Calingute while going and Calingute - Mapusa - Sawantwadi - Amboli - Belgaum - Hubli - Chitradurga - Tumkur - Bangalore. Will have a detailed travelogue posted by weekend with pics.
Old 6th October 2009, 01:25   #797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
Original plan was
Bangalore-Shimoga-Ankola-Karwar-GOA.
Actual was. 100 KM extra with some really bad patch becos of the Mining truck.
Bangalore-Shimoga-Ankola-Yellapur-Dandeli-Ramnagar-Molem-Goa.

From Dandeli there was a route which join to Dandelli too.
The ramnagar-Molem-Goa does not exist as a route since a long time.It has been discussed on this thread earlier as well.NH4A(Belgaum-Londa-Molem-Panjim) to Goa is doomed and is just not recommended at all.Even the mining trucks cannot traverse this route

Belgaum-Amboli-Panjim is a good route.
Old 6th October 2009, 13:09   #798
BHPian

I drove from Hyderabad to Goa on the 27th and was in Goa till the 1st morning. Then went to my hometown Kumta on 1st .. On 3rd most of the roads near Koppal, Raichur had washed away, so decided to drive to Bangalore.. Drove thru Honnavar, jog, Shimoga and Tumkur. Roads narrower on the Gersoppa ghats.Small patches here and there.. But still managed to drive within 8.5hours and I had heavy rains from Kumta to Shimoga.
Now I am flying to Hyderabad this evening. Leaving my car at Bangalore for some days
Old 6th October 2009, 15:05   #799
Senior - BHPian

@Swiftnfurious, How's the condition of the Haveri-davengere-chitradurga part? What's the distance from amboli to belgaum and is this portion of the road wide.
@ranjitp! any idea if this amboli changad belgaum section is better than amboli-ajra-tawandi ghat section? big difference or not so much?
Old 6th October 2009, 16:13   #800
Distinguished - BHPian

@deutscheafrikar - Haveri - Davengere - Chitradurga is pretty ok from my opinion. I finished the entire 550 kms from Belgaum to Bangalore in 8.5 hours with a 30 min break. Amboli to Belgaum is also quite decent - you may hv bad stretches for around 10 kms max [when i say bad roads, my swift's under body didn't scrape at all]. I have not travelled the Shimoga route, but if I have to travel to Goa next time, I will take the same route via Belgaum - Amboli.
Old 6th October 2009, 23:27   #801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
@Swiftnfurious, How's the condition of the Haveri-davengere-chitradurga part? What's the distance from amboli to belgaum and is this portion of the road wide.
@ranjitp! any idea if this amboli changad belgaum section is better than amboli-ajra-tawandi ghat section? big difference or not so much?
Hi DF,I guess you meant Chandgad.Belgaum to Amboli via Chandgad is around 75kms.This is the Belgaum-Sawantwadi Road.

Distance wise:

Tavandi Ghat to Belgaum turn off for Belgaum Sawantwadi road is approx 85kms.Belgaum-Amboli is around 75kms.Total of 160kms.

Tavandi-Amboli via Nipani-Uttur-Ajra is approx 75kms.

I would still recco the Nipani route vis-a-vis the Belgaum-Chandgad,its too much of a round about route,an extra distance of almost close to 70-80kms(Tavandi-Belgaum-Amboli forms a perfect equilateral triangle).For people coming from Blore/Hubli side the Belgaum-Chandgad route is reccomended,not for the Mumbai/Pune people,unless there is a compulsion to visit Belgaum or the call for exploring a new route.The Nipani route is not a bad route,a friend travelled the same route and he says its perfectly ok except for a 10kms stretch which is rough tarmac not potholed.
Old 7th October 2009, 10:11   #802
Senior - BHPian

Yes Ranjitp1, You're correct. I was only exploring the options. I think it's better to go the nipani-ajra route than the belgaum ajra route. Thanks
Old 7th October 2009, 11:24   #803
BHPian

Wow! Thanks! This is good news. I am planning on a trip to coastal maharastra in two weeks. Will take the Blr-Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Malvan route. Planning to spend the whole week along the west coast and then another week in Mumbai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Hey guys, am just back from Goa. HORRIBLE "to" Goa trip and a good "from" Goa drive! Took Mangalore - Udupi - Ankola - Yellapur - Ramnagar - Calingute while going and Calingute - Mapusa - Sawantwadi - Amboli - Belgaum - Hubli - Chitradurga - Tumkur - Bangalore. Will have a detailed travelogue posted by weekend with pics.
Old 7th October 2009, 17:11   #804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
The ramnagar-Molem-Goa does not exist as a route since a long time.It has been discussed on this thread earlier as well.NH4A(Belgaum-Londa-Molem-Panjim) to Goa is doomed and is just not recommended at all.Even the mining trucks cannot traverse this route

Belgaum-Amboli-Panjim is a good route.
We didnt had any choice buddy. We was stuck at Ankola due to the road blockage. Then we took the diversion towards Yellapur. Till Ramnagar it was fine with some bad pathces. But after that around 20-30 KM was really horrible due to the mining truck...
Old 7th October 2009, 23:10   #805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
We didnt had any choice buddy. We was stuck at Ankola due to the road blockage. Then we took the diversion towards Yellapur. Till Ramnagar it was fine with some bad pathces. But after that around 20-30 KM was really horrible due to the mining truck...
haha I can empathise with you cos I did the same route from Belgaum to Panjim and horrible is an understatement,disappearing light,well-sized craeters,the last thing is to have a car breakdown or a flat tyre there..phew
Old 8th October 2009, 22:32   #806

Hi folks,

I have planned my road trip on this route Bangalore-Goa. I will be rolling out on Wednesday night next week that's the 14th of Oct. I know the routes but I'd like to know from someone who has travelled on this route within the past week or so.

I suppose the shimoga and yellapur routes are ruled out. how about sawantwadi route?

Because as we know that there have been torrential rains lately. And after reading so many experiences and opinions and suggestions from various people i am a bit confused.

Thanks,
Agastya
Old 9th October 2009, 02:09   #807
BHPian

Anyone know the current condition of the Bangalore - Goa route via Kittur ? Would like to know if its drivable or not ! Normally It would take 9 hours non stop , how much does it take these days with the bad roads?

I've stopped my BLR-GOA-BLR weekend drives since the roads got bad after the rains and have been traveling by flight so I'm clueless !

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 9th October 2009 at 02:11.
Old 9th October 2009, 12:10   #808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agastya_Drifter View Post
Hi folks,

I have planned my road trip on this route Bangalore-Goa. I will be rolling out on Wednesday night next week that's the 14th of Oct. I know the routes but I'd like to know from someone who has travelled on this route within the past week or so.

I suppose the shimoga and yellapur routes are ruled out. how about sawantwadi route?

Because as we know that there have been torrential rains lately. And after reading so many experiences and opinions and suggestions from various people i am a bit confused.

Thanks,
Agastya
the best route for you in the given conditions would be BLR-HUBLI-BELGAUM-AMBOLI-SAWANTWADI-PANJIM.Roads are good from Belgaum to Sawantwadi,it is a distance of around 75kms.I saw a post from you on a diff thread that you are contemplating taking the Londa-Ponda route,the road does not exist anymore fr a stretch of 25kms between Londa & Molem.
Old 9th October 2009, 14:33   #809

thanks Ranjit. Your note should give me a lot of courage now. how about the stretch between chitradurga and belgaum, any idea if it is really bad?
Old 9th October 2009, 14:42   #810
BANNED

Please stick to Bangalore - Chitradurga - Haveri - Hubli - Dharwad - Belagavi (Belgaum) - Amboli - Sawantwadi - your destination in Goa.

I have been travelling regularly on NH4 since 2007 and the Chitradurga to Haveri stretch has changed only very slightly after the recent rains. Just ensure you don't attempt to set speed / time records on the bad patches.

Last edited by hrag : 9th October 2009 at 14:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks