Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2010, 21:18   #991
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viveklk View Post
You will also hit a beauitiful Amboli ghat with a waterfall adjacent to the road.
Not sure about the waterfalls at this time of the year!
Old 23rd February 2010, 23:07   #992

If I understand correctly, the best road to go to Goa is Bangalore - Tumkur - Shimoga - Honavar - Karwar - Goa route. By good I mean driveability. Scenery is does rank very high on the priority list as the intention is to reach Goa the quickest.

Kindly advise all you well informed ones!

P.S. Has the Kali river bridge opened?
Old 24th February 2010, 06:18   #993
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishdes View Post
If I understand correctly, the best road to go to Goa is Bangalore - Tumkur - Shimoga - Honavar - Karwar - Goa route. By good I mean driveability. Scenery is does rank very high on the priority list as the intention is to reach Goa the quickest.

When I last heard it was open after the repairs.
Old 24th February 2010, 09:20   #994

The Kali bridge was opened sometime back. It came in the TOI and other papers.

The Shimoga Honnavar route is pretty good. But it makes sense only for South Goa maybe upto Cancona or thereabouts. For Panaji or North Goa beaches- Calangute,Baga et al- NH4 and NH4a to Ponda is better.
Old 24th February 2010, 11:56   #995
BHPian

Quote:

If quickest is an important factor then you should take Bangalore-Tumkur- Hubli-Karwar-Goa route. Though there are apprehensions on road condition between Chitradurga to Haveri of late.
I have found this option much better in terms of time on all my Bangalore-Karwar-Goa trips. I have lost count of number of times i have travelled on both these stretchs.

T-BHPians who have travelled in last 1-2 weeks on Bangalore-Hubli stretch can provide better updates.
Old 24th February 2010, 22:45   #996

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen View Post
The Kali bridge was opened sometime back. It came in the TOI and other papers.

The Shimoga Honnavar route is pretty good. But it makes sense only for South Goa maybe upto Cancona or thereabouts. For Panaji or North Goa beaches- Calangute,Baga et al- NH4 and NH4a to Ponda is better.
So if one plans to go via NH4 NH4A route, what is the point to move from NH4 to NH4A?
Belgaum, Dharwad, kittur or MK Hubli? All seem fine on Google maps but road condition can't be seen

I am a bit biased towards the Shimoga Honnavar route right now and would need a pretty good reason to go otherwise.
Old 24th February 2010, 23:04   #997

Forgot to mention the Haveri - Chitradurga route. It's still not fully ready with some painful stretches, scratched my poor punto's underbelly a few times :( But better than last time I did this stretch in Sep 2009

I did Bangalore - Pune - Bangalore Up 12th Feb and Down 14th feb

Funnily enough the Up journey took 12.5 hours and down took a painful 14.5

I still feel that rather than Chitradurga - Haveri the Tumkur Bangalore stretch is hell. It's a torture on the knees with the clutch (especially after Nelamangala)

Sorry for going OT, but then it does answer the Haveri Chitradurga question :P
Old 24th February 2010, 23:22   #998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So if one plans to go via NH4 NH4A route, what is the point to move from NH4 to NH4A?
Belgaum, Dharwad, kittur or MK Hubli? All seem fine on Google maps but road condition can't be seen

I am a bit biased towards the Shimoga Honnavar route right now and would need a pretty good reason to go otherwise.
Please read the post #967 to understand the road condition of both roads, via Shimoga-Karwar-Madgaon and via Hubli-Kittur-Bidi-Londa-Ponda

i travelled to goa via these roads on Jan end.
Old 27th February 2010, 00:53   #999
Senior - BHPian

Dharwad - Londa - Ponda route

Can anyone provide the latest updates on this route please?
Old 27th February 2010, 12:50   #1000
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Can anyone provide the latest updates on this route please?
Thats what was previously mentioned. Dont go through that route. Take the NH4A through South Goa.
Old 27th February 2010, 15:29   #1001
BANNED

Hi,
We, me and Hariya are leaving for Goa tonight at 00:00HRS from BIAL and will most probably take the the Shimoga-Karwar-Goa route unless the forum feels there is a better route than this to reach Goa as fast as possible.

Suggestions and advice most welcome. In case anybody is travelling tonight and wants to do a convoy, I am open and willing to it.
Old 1st March 2010, 12:19   #1002
Senior - BHPian

I just did a round trip to Goa in my Swift Vdi last weekend. I took 2 different routes for the onward & return journeys.

Onward:

Bangalore-Hassan-Chikmagalur-Sringeri-Agumbe-Haladi-Kundapura-Karwar-Panjim. Total distance 720 kms

I had to go to Hassan to pick up friends, hence the long route. The road conditions are very good except for a few kms between Agumbe & Haladi. This route also took longer because there are almost 180 kms of ghat roads between Chikmagalur-Kundapura. This section itself takes up a lot of time. After Kundapura, the NH-17 is very good all the way to Panjim.

Return:

Panjim-Karwar-Gokarna cross-Yaana-Sirsi-Sagar-Shimoga-Arsikere-Hassan-Bangalore.

I had initially planned my return through the Honnavar-Jog-Sagar route. But, when we neared Gokarna cross, we saw a board showing direction to Yaana. After deliberating a bit, we asked about road conditions at a nearby shop. They said that it was very good except for some 10 kms. The distance to Yaana from NH-17 was 39 kms. Initially, the road was good for a few kms, then the nightmare started (in patches). For every 2 kms of good roads, there used to be 5 kms of bad roads all the way to Yaana. When climbing on the ghat section, there was no road at all, but my car handled it very well.

Yaana-Sirsi road is a pretty good single lane road. Sirsi-Siddapura-Sagar-Shimoga is also very good except for a couple of rough patches. After Shimoga, we missed the Bhadravati by-pass and went straight into town. Bhadravati-Arsikere stretch is good. Arsikere-Hassan stretch is good upto 20 kms before Hassan. The last 20 kms to Hassan was pathetic.

Overall, the total distance covered in 4 days was 1700 kms.
Old 2nd March 2010, 00:10   #1003
BHPian

My team just returned from their Goa trip. I was not able to make it

The Spicejet flight booked to and fro got cancelled a week back so I drafted the quickest option for them.

From here to Hubli by Jan Shatabti and from there I arranged a TT and an Inova for 15 people.

They took the Hubli-Kittur-Bidi-Londa-Ponda and say that the route was good except for 3-5 Kms and ghats! Otherwise the Inova made it in 4 hours flat from Hubli to Panjim and the Tempo Traveller took 45 minutes more.

Last edited by CorsaLove : 2nd March 2010 at 00:12.
Old 4th March 2010, 14:50   #1004

Driving experience to Goa from Bangalore

Travelled from Bangalore to Goa and return in my Punto MJD a month ago. (Last week of Jan to be precise). I took to the Belgaum-Amboli-Sawanthwadi route both ways. I had to go to North Goa, close to Baga.

Bangalore to Goa:

Bangalore-Tumkur-Chitradurga-Haveri-Hubli-Dharwad-Belgaum-Amboli-Sawanthwadi-Mapusa

Started at 6:30AM from Bannerghatta road and made it to my destination around 7:30 PM with 4 breaks (around 2 hrs break time). Total distance covered - 690kms.

Bangalore-Tumkur : Good roads beyond Nelamangala. Nightmare till there! Heavy traffic all along though.
Tumkur-Chitradurga : Awesome roads. (Barring Tumkur by-pass).
Chitradurga-Haveri : Road still under construction. Decent till Davangere. Ranibennur by-pass is not ready yet.
Haveri-Hubli : Awesome roads after Bankapur Toll gate.
Hubli-Belgaum : Hubli Dharwad by-pass is kind-of-ok. Dharwar to Belgaum is a treat. Excellent road sense and low traffic.

I made it to Belgaum by 3:00 PM with Breakfast+Coffee+stretch break. 538kms with an average speed of 71kmph showing up on the on-board display.

Belgaum-Amboli : Exited Belgaum to get onto SH121. Decent road. 70kms in 1.5 hrs.
Amboli-Sawanthwadi : Ghat section. Sharp descent. Very Scenic. 30 kms in 55 mins (with a tea break)
Sawanthwadi-Mapusa : Joined NH17 at Sawanthwadi. Good roads again.

Return:

Took the same route on the return trip as well. Was able to gain some time in the Mapusa-Sawanthwadi-Amboli-Belgaum stretch (around 45mins, as I was driving fresh in the morning). Lost the advantage due to a flat tire at Hubli.

On a whole a good driving experience for the first long drive on my car. I would suggest this road if you are getting to North Goa or Panaji. The roads are good all through (except the Chitradurga-Haveri Stretch, Nelamangala-Bangalore and parts of Tumkur By-pass).
Old 5th March 2010, 00:46   #1005
Senior - BHPian

Goa - Bangalore via Londa/Khanapur/Kittur/Dharwad

Guys,

Am planning to drive Goa-Bangalore via Londa/Khanapur/Kittur/Dharwad/Davangere/Chitradurga

Latest updates on the route condition (especially Londa/Khanapur/Kittur/Dharwad section) would be much appreciated.

If anyone has dared to try the Londa - Alnavar - Dharwad route, please provide an update.

Last edited by cool_dube : 5th March 2010 at 00:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks