Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2007, 12:50   #91
BHPian

Thanks... I want to avoid too much driving into ghats... as parents will go along... hope to post the exp.. after I come back will go the route u suggested..
Old 8th December 2007, 22:28   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, a small update on the BLR-Karwar/Goa route:

Instead of
Harihar - Malebennur - Honnali - Ko Halli - Anandapuram - Sagar

use: Harihar - Malebennur - Honnalli - Shikarpur - Gowthampura - Anandapuram - Sagar

So, the route will be:
BLR-Davangere- Harihar - Malebennur - Honnali - Shikarpur - Sagar - Karwar - Goa

You can trace both routes in the attached snapshot from Mapmyindia.com. Hope it is clear, & helps.
Old 18th December 2007, 18:14   #93
BHPian

travelled over this weekend...
Took the (1)Tumkur-Davangere-Ranibennur-yellapur-ankola-karwar-goa while going and (2) Goa-Karwar-Hubli-Chitradurga route while coming back.
Bangalore to hubli and back...the stretch is good except for a few stretches where the road is bad...1 km at a time.
the hubli - karwar - goa route is mostly ghat but motorable.
I'd strongly suggest Bangalore-Chitradurga-Hubli-Karwar-Goa route if you are not familiar with the route.
condor-thank you for the directions earlier...really helped me etch the map in my head
Old 18th December 2007, 18:16   #94
BHPian

Also if you are travelling through Karwar on a sunday, try and drop in at the Naval base....you might be lucky to spot a navy frigate/ship and tour it.
the Navy folks had opened up the naval base for public this weekend and we were lucky to get a guided tour on a actual (in service) naval frigate/vessel.
Old 18th December 2007, 20:24   #95
Senior - BHPian

Hi arepalli99,

looks like both the routes you mentioned are same. I am bit confused how you reached Ranibennur - yellapur in route (1) or do you mean Ranibennur - sirsi ?

Ravi.
Old 19th December 2007, 21:50   #96
BHPian

(1) Bangalore-Tumkur-Chitradurga-Davangere-Sirsi-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Goa
(2) Goa-Karwar-Hubli-Haveri-Chitradurga
Old 26th December 2007, 13:13   #97

@condor, I will be traveling at night tomorrow, Do u think the route u suggested is manageable without any help for directions, Im sure i wont find anyone to check for directions in d middle of d nit.....Or is the hubli route is better for the night?
Old 26th December 2007, 20:47   #98
BHPian

Back from Karwar

Came back from Karwar yesterday... it was a 4 day trip (22nd -25th Dec)...

We took Bangalore - Tumkur - Shimoga - Sagar - Sirsi - Mirjan - Karwar route both the ways.

Before and after Arsikere (before 5 km and after 11 km) there are two 5 km stretch which is really bad. Otherwise the route is ok.

Note that you have to turn left towards Kumta (Mirjan) when milestone shows 2 km to Sirsi, we missed it!

We started from Bangalore (Bannerghata Road) at 4:15 am in the morning, reached Shimoga at 9:15 am with a 15 minute bio break in between. After having breakfast started from Shimoga at 9:45 am, had a break at Sagar for half an hour to meet a friend and reached Karwar at 2:45 pm. 10.5 hours for 540 km with 1 hr 15 min break. BTW we were driving in a Safari Dicor.

On the way back, we visited Gokarna, Yana (13 km dirt road each way from SH, and then heard we had to trek for 2 km for which we didn't have time), took a night break in Jog falls.

- Arindam Ray

P.S. I wanted to thank you all before going to the trip, however my membership got approved later.
Old 26th December 2007, 22:09   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
abhinethra @condor, Do u think the route u suggested is manageable without any help for directions, Im sure i wont find anyone to check for directions in d middle of d nit.....Or is the hubli route is better for the night?
Abhinetra, if you are travelling at night, go via Hubli. It is easier with directions - it will be NH4 all the way to Hubli, take Hubli by-pass, and then you will see directions marked to go towards Karwar. The left turn after Hubli is a few km after the toll gate, and may be marked as 'Karwar' or "Kalghatgi".

Another advantage for you if you go via Hubli is that by the time you will finish the night part of your journey, you would be past Hubli, some where near Karwar.

To go via Harihar - Malebennur - Honnali - Shikarpur - Sagar, you may need a little help at the points where you will turn.
Old 26th December 2007, 22:14   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Update on the route to Karwar, going via Davangere- Harihar - Malebennur - Honnali - Shikarpur - Sagar: This route is good - friends did this route for a BLR-Karwar drive today.
Quote:
arindamray : Before and after Arsikere (before 5 km and after 11 km) there are two 5 km stretch which is really bad. Otherwise the route is ok.

BTW we were driving in a Safari Dicor.
Arindam, are the two stretches generally bad, or bad even for a Safari ?!
Old 27th December 2007, 14:57   #101
Senior - BHPian

I am in Ankola right now, last week travelled from bangalore to sirsi by Sugama bus via chitradurga.

New Toll collection after Tumkur started in NH4. Roads are very good untill chitra durga and after that also better condition now.

They did some road repair work last month it seems.

Started Bangalore @11pm and reached sirsi by 7am. Road condition seems better for sure or at least for bus journey.

I visited Saatodi Falls via yellapur. Road condition all 80km very bad except for good 20km.

I visited Yaaana too road is again bad but motorable.

Last 3 km in yaana road work is going on in yaana so we need to walk in road to visit the place. Come Next year we can reach yaana by vehicle untill last mile.

I met people from Bangalore who came in blue Safari Dicor in Yaana. I guess thats Arindam Ray ? If so nice to meet you before you posted a comment in TBHP

Sirsi to kumta devimane ghat is good they did repair job.

NH 17 is better as well patch up work is done now.

Its better than what it was in September month.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 27th December 2007, 17:28   #102
BHPian

Best way is to Fly.....

I just returned back to Chennai at 5.00 a.m in the morning from Goa.

The roads are so bad, it took 15 hrs for me to reach Candolim(Goa) from Chennai and 14 hrs 30 mins on my way back to Chennai.

On my way to Goa I took NH 63 from Hubli to Ankola and on my way back I drove all the way to Belgaum from Panaji and drove south again to Bangalore...

Bad stretches on my way: Thumkur bypass, Davangere to some 30km after Ranibennur, Yellapur to Ankola and about 25 km once you enter Goa.

The NH63 from Hubli to Yellapur is nice, but the roads after that to Ankola are bad.
Be prepared to loose one hour in traffic at Ranibennur if you are passing it during the day.

Bad stretches on my way back to Chennai: About 35km stretch before Londa(No roads at all, Tar totally worn out and deep pits) and the bad stretches as I mentioned above on NH4.

Lost close to an hour at Belgaum city because of traffic.

Hope this helps!
Old 27th December 2007, 20:51   #103
BHPian

@condor: it was even bad for Safari, in the sense we had to slow down to 5 -10 kmph. Obviously there was no chance of underbody damage
Old 27th December 2007, 20:55   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post

I met people from Bangalore who came in blue Safari Dicor in Yaana. I guess thats Arindam Ray ? If so nice to meet you before you posted a comment in TBHP
Mine is Black... We reached there at around 5:15 - 5:30 pm.
Old 27th December 2007, 23:28   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
iceman-kimi : About 35km stretch before Londa(No roads at all, Tar totally worn out and deep pits)
iceman, this stretch is known to be bad. That's exactly why we are using the other routes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks