Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2010, 13:46   #1186
BHPian

Good Route

Issigonis

HVK is the guru. Konduskar for diesel is as reliable as they get. I always fill at mapusa as my tank has a good capacity of 65 liters. Havnt filled on the way.

If you start at 5am you will be comfortably placed to do lunch at sankam at belgaum. fabulous food. atleast the breakfast was very good

Not much places along the nh4 till belgaum. You can stop on the expressway for breakfast if your like after the 1st or 2nd toll naka

or better still you can have breakfast at sayaji on the pune bypass. 296/- inclusive of tax for a very good spread and excellent and obviously clean loos too. since its a buffet you can be in and out in 30mins

Leave no later than 5am though. That is the key
Old 10th August 2010, 23:11   #1187
BHPian

Route update from Belgaum to Goa:

We took the Anmod ghat route:
Belgaum - NH4A - Khanapur - Ramnagar - Anmod - Ponda - Calangute

Total distance ~ 175 kms.
Time taken: 3 hours

Road condition was excellent. Traffic was just adequate to keep us company. Few trucks on the road. Took the same road while coming back.

Thanks asdon for your inputs. Snaps below:
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-map.jpg  

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-road.jpg  

Old 10th August 2010, 23:29   #1188
BHPian

Great snaps!!! keep them comming..
Old 11th August 2010, 11:16   #1189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi.Knight View Post
Route update from Belgaum to Goa:

We took the Anmod ghat route:
Belgaum - NH4A - Khanapur - Ramnagar - Anmod - Ponda - Calangute

Total distance ~ 175 kms.
Time taken: 3 hours

Road condition was excellent. Traffic was just adequate to keep us company. Few trucks on the road. Took the same road while coming back.

Thanks asdon for your inputs. Snaps below:
When did you drive on the Khanapur-Ponda NH4A?Just wanted to know as somebody whose travelled this week has reported that the road has gone back to being a moon surface with huge potholes between Londa & Anmod.Wonder when would they find a permanent solution to the NH4A crumbling.
Old 11th August 2010, 11:38   #1190
Team-BHP Support

The snaps looks very inviting! On the way back you must have felt like the "Return of the Jedi" ! cruising through rain and green forests!
Old 11th August 2010, 15:24   #1191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
When did you drive on the Khanapur-Ponda NH4A?Just wanted to know as somebody whose travelled this week has reported that the road has gone back to being a moon surface with huge potholes between Londa & Anmod.Wonder when would they find a permanent solution to the NH4A crumbling.
We drove on this route last Sunday (8 August). We did not encounter any bad stretch as you have mentioned. The road got a bit rough close to Ramnagar, but that was a very small patch (less than 1 km).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The snaps looks very inviting! On the way back you must have felt like the "Return of the Jedi" ! cruising through rain and green forests!
Very much
Old 11th August 2010, 15:31   #1192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi.Knight View Post
We drove on this route last Sunday (8 August). We did not encounter any bad stretch as you have mentioned. The road got a bit rough close to Ramnagar, but that was a very small patch (less than 1 km).
Wierd, issigonis drove from Bombay to Goa on the same route as you did and reported bad roads!!!! He was the guy who tipped me off on the bad road sections in Anmod area, where he hit his underbody in some potholes. Another friend who drove the same way last week in a Scorpio was quite pleased with the roads though.
Old 24th August 2010, 15:34   #1193
Senior - BHPian

Any news on what is the state of the NH206/NH17 route given the current rainy season.

I was thinking of a Goa getaway for the September 10th long weekend. Would be really good if the road condition has not deteriorated much over the past few months!
Old 24th August 2010, 16:47   #1194
Senior - BHPian

My best pick: bangalore-tumkur-shimoga-jog falls-sharavati valley-honnavara-kumta-karwar-goa. While coming back take Amboli-belgaum route. Distance wise both routes are almost same and shortest ones. If driving time rather than enjoying nature is priority on the way then plan taking NH4 both the ways.

Have a nice time.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 24th August 2010, 19:50   #1195
Senior - BHPian

Avoid Amboli until the rains stop.The roads are still in an iffy condition there.
Old 27th August 2010, 21:19   #1196
BHPian

Ok! There have been too many suggestions, I am planning a trip to Goa mid September, I loved the NH 4, apart from Chitradurga to Hubli. I can still manage that. Now, I would rather drive the Highway than Shimoga route, but is the road really good? How long does it take to drive from Hubli to Goa. Would seriously appreciate the input. Guys here really made my life easy when I drove to Pune last month, now I have come back to you guys for help.
Old 31st August 2010, 16:48   #1197
JLN
BHPian

Bangalore to GOA Road Trip in Sep mid - Which Route?

Has anyone done a road trip from Bangalore to Goa recently? If yes, can you recommend the best possible route and how much time should I realistically plan for the drive. Will it be possible to reach Goa (Candolim area) by sunset if I leave Bangalore by 5:00 AM in the morning and take the Shimoga route 9with a quick stop to see Jog falls)?
Old 5th September 2010, 20:16   #1198
Senior - BHPian

I'm planning to do blore-goa next week. I'm assuming NH4 to tumkur then NH206 and then NH17 is the way to go? I do not want to go on the horrible stretch of NH4 between davangere and haveri.
Old 5th September 2010, 20:34   #1199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
I'm planning to do blore-goa next week. I'm assuming NH4 to tumkur then NH206 and then NH17 is the way to go? I do not want to go on the horrible stretch of NH4 between davangere and haveri.
'Horrible'?? Not really mate. It was certainly the case a year or before that.
I regularly do Bangalore Pune and as of today I would call the stretch almost done except the Railway crossings after Ranibennur. Also, Ranibennur has a functional bypass now. Altogether, the deviations too have declined in number due to good progress. I'm referring to 3 weeks before today!!
Passing through this undone stretch is not as bad anymore nor would you realize how soon you get out of it.

Last edited by paragsachania : 5th September 2010 at 20:35.
Old 5th September 2010, 20:39   #1200
Senior - BHPian

That is nice to know. My last experience was over a year ago and that was truly horrible. There's nice 4 lane road and then suddenly you have a huge crater in front of you and no road.

Most Viewed