Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2009, 16:07   #376
BANNED

OK-plans changed and need to get to north Goa. So am planning NH4 to Belgaum but from there should I take NH4A to Panjim? or the Sawantwadi route. Lots of suggestions for the Sawantwadi route but am a bit unsure of how to find it [any tips?], and its also pretty far north right? Mybe a very long drive?

I suppose the Dharwad-Londa route is out of the question?
Old 16th February 2009, 16:15   #377
Senior - BHPian

From Belgaum take via Sawantwadi which is better unless recently road repair work is done via NH4A.

Else try out via Dharwad towards NH4A which is not reliable road had bad stretches but we never know latest situation.

Ravi.
Old 16th February 2009, 16:22   #378
BANNED

Ravi,

Actually I just PMed you.

How long would the sawantwadi route be? and how do I locate it? on the map it looks pretty circuitous and I cant even locate Amboli on the map.
Old 16th February 2009, 16:31   #379
BANNED

Ravi,

Is this the route?

Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-belgaum-mapusa.jpg  

Old 16th February 2009, 16:44   #380
BANNED

From Belgaum take the route via Khanapur to Londa - Anmod - Mollem - Ponda - Panaji.

Dont take Chorla Ghat unless you are riding a elephant.
Old 16th February 2009, 16:54   #381
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
From Belgaum take the route via Khanapur to Londa - Anmod - Mollem - Ponda - Panaji.

Thats nh4A right? If thats good it solves a lot of my problems. Why does everyone suggest Amboli-Sawantwadi from Belgaum?

Last edited by deepakvrao : 16th February 2009 at 16:58.
Old 16th February 2009, 17:33   #382
Senior - BHPian

Deepak, people are suggesting Sawanthawadi route as that route is very scenic, have better facilities and probably take similar time too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

Ya infact you can take Kittur - Khanapur route. Kittur is between Hubli and belgaum.
Chorla Ghat is in shambles since years.

Abhi
Old 16th February 2009, 17:46   #383
BANNED

Abhi,

Thanks for so much help.

Is this the Kittur-Khanapur road - Sh31 which is shown on this map? And is this the Sawantwadi route - shown in the second map? Via Chandgad and Banda with Sawantwadi in between?
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-kittur.jpg  

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-sawantwadi.jpg  

Old 16th February 2009, 18:01   #384
Senior - BHPian

I dont think it is SH. It was a normal road and initial few kms are single laned as well.

Abhi
Old 16th February 2009, 18:16   #385

I do not recommend Khanapur to Londa - Anmod - Mollem - Ponda - Panaji because Londa to Anmod was very bad when I travelled on 23-Dec-08.

May be, can read more on The Thoughts...: Travel

- Hariprakash
Old 16th February 2009, 18:29   #386
Senior - BHPian

Deepak,

If it is North Goa you want and scenic route then Just near nippani (after belgaum) you take a left before the road winds down to (there are some cafes on both sides with fancy boards. This road has a 10 to 12 km of bad patch but the rest is very good it takes you via amboli ghat a good view in the morning in these months then straight to sawantwadi and if you want to shorten the drive and also get a good drive NH23 from dharwad to ankola and the a fantastic coastal route via gokarna etc. It is the best road and is world bank built athough these day I hear some say it has gone bad and others say it is fixed was like going through Europe.
Old 16th February 2009, 20:22   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Deepak,

If it is North Goa you want and scenic route then Just near nippani (after belgaum) you take a left before the road winds down to (there are some cafes on both sides with fancy boards. This road has a 10 to 12 km of bad patch but the rest is very good it takes you via amboli ghat a good view in the morning in these months then straight to sawantwadi and if you want to shorten the drive and also get a good drive NH23 from dharwad to ankola and the a fantastic coastal route via gokarna etc. It is the best road and is world bank built athough these day I hear some say it has gone bad and others say it is fixed was like going through Europe.
Update from jan 26 '09, dharwad (or hubli whichever u get earlier on NH4)- Ankola-karwar-goa route is fantastic.I thoroughly enjoyed driving on that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
OK-plans changed and need to get to north Goa. So am planning NH4 to Belgaum but from there should I take NH4A to Panjim? or the Sawantwadi route. Lots of suggestions for the Sawantwadi route but am a bit unsure of how to find it [any tips?], and its also pretty far north right? Mybe a very long drive?

I suppose the Dharwad-Londa route is out of the question?
via Belgaum route is the more unpredictable of the 2 routes.
Old 16th February 2009, 21:06   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
Update from jan 26 '09, dharwad (or hubli whichever u get earlier on NH4)- Ankola-karwar-goa route is fantastic.I thoroughly enjoyed driving on that route.
You are talking of Hubli - Ankola NH63

Abhi
Old 17th February 2009, 08:50   #389
BANNED

Ok-if its sawantwadi, then which of these two maps is the right one?
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-ravismap.jpg  

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-mymap.jpg  

Old 17th February 2009, 09:15   #390
Senior - BHPian

Both maps are correct. Except that take the route marked in the second map which is via Chandgad, Amboli till Savantwadi on Nh17, and from there via Banda and Mapusa to Panaji.

The route in the first map is the Chorla Ghat route which Spitfire says should be taken if "you are riding a elephant". But even that route is apparently in a good condition now.

Quote:
If it is North Goa you want and scenic route then Just near nippani (after belgaum) you take a left before the road winds down to (there are some cafes on both sides with fancy boards. This road has a 10 to 12 km of bad patch but the rest is very good it takes you via amboli ghat
As far as the route suggested by canonball is concerned, the route particulars are as follows:

After crossing Belgaum town on Nh4 when coming from Bangalore, you hit Sankeshwar town bypass in 47 kms. First choice is to turn left here towards Gadliganj, and go to Savantwadoi via Amboli. Second choice is to go further down Nh4 17 more kms and climb up to the top of the Tawande Ghat - exactly at the top of the ghat, you will see 2 hotels Satyawati Palace and Hotel Kaveri. At this point, turn left for Gadliganj and Savantwadi.

Last edited by hvkumar : 17th February 2009 at 09:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks