Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2009, 09:22   #391
BANNED

Thanks all - I think I am set. Will give feedback after returning. Just ordered a mapmyindia CD too - should help too.

Kumar,

So what cannonball has suggested is a turn off further north than my two maps is it? Is it worth risking the Chorla ghat? Saves about 40km.

Last edited by deepakvrao : 17th February 2009 at 09:23.
Old 17th February 2009, 17:52   #392
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The route in the first map is the Chorla Ghat route which Spitfire says should be taken if "you are riding a elephant". But even that route is apparently in a good condition now.
Oh thats good to hear. That road is very beautiful and the lone tea stall on that route has the best wada pav found anywhere in the world.

What about the route fromTillari?

@deepakvrao: Where in North Goa are you going?

Coming into North Goa from Sawantwadi is better then coming to Panaji and then making your way up North of Goa.
Old 17th February 2009, 19:12   #393
BANNED

SF,

Going to Arpora [Baga], so Sawanthwadi or Chorla Ghat route is ideal.

On another note - had ordered my mapmyindia software yesterday at 4:30pm and it was delivered this morning at 11:30 am - just amazing speed of delivery from Delhi. Yet to try it though.
Old 9th March 2009, 19:50   #394
BHPian

Update on NH4A on 22nd Feb 2009

For the latest update on NH4A road conditions please see the picture posted on following
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1205908

Overall I just loved this route compared to regular Amboli (Which is faster) except the sad 10km patch excuse of what they call road.
Old 14th March 2009, 16:58   #395
BHPian

hello folks .this thread has loads of info and i almost got lost .can anyone just tell me whats the best route i can take from Blore to Goa.i plan to take a stopover at Kumta as i have to visit a relative there.and on min terms of good road .and on my return leg plan to come via Hubli with a stop over there, any info would be highly appreciated .

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 14th March 2009 at 18:49. Reason: see note in post
Old 14th March 2009, 21:49   #396
Senior - BHPian

I suggest choose between

Bangalore - Tumkur - Shimoga - TaalGuppa - Siddapura - Sirsi - Kumta - Karwar - Goa : not so hot climate you will pass and good road but would take extra time if you prefer to slow down in curvey roads as this route has more of curvey roads around sagara-kumta. there is direct road to Kumta from siddapura but road was bad 3 years back and I didn't heard of road repair yet.

or Bangalore - Tumkur - Shimoga - TaalGuppa - Jog Falls - Honnvara - Kumta - Karwar - Goa : not so hot climate you will pass and good road but would take extra time if you prefer to slow down in curvey roads as this route has more of curvey roads around sagara - honnavara.

or Bangalore - Tumkur - Haveri - Sirsi - Kumta - Karwar - Goa : bit hot weather (Tumkur - Sirsi) but you get more 4 lane roads.

Distance wise same but via haveri you can save 1 hr. time for sure. If you prefer to use AC take via haveri else If don't like AC usage take via shimoga.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 16th March 2009, 12:11   #397
Senior - BHPian

Back from Shimoga,
still some potholes between Shimoga & Tarikere, But quite managable by any sedan.
Bangalore - Shimoga, whole route has become slightly rough due asphalt chipping. It's not as smooth as before
Old 21st March 2009, 06:51   #398
BANNED

Thanks guys for all the help. Did Bang-Hubli-Belgaum-Sawantwadi via Amboli ghats-Goa, and back and except for maybe a few km before sawantwadi, roads were excellent. Great drive. Going and coming took approax 11 hrs each way, and was 690 km. BTW got 17kmpl in my Laura [AT]- fantastic huh? Never got this much before - so its a sign of good roads I presume?

Also came back via dobspet, doddbalapur, yelahanka. Thanks Kumar.
Old 24th March 2009, 22:55   #399
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Visiting Goa via Karwar in April 2009. Planning to take Haveri, Sirsi, Kumta route. Please recommend. I have a Santro.

-Rajiv
Old 25th March 2009, 07:31   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Hi,

Visiting Goa via Karwar in April 2009. Planning to take Haveri, Sirsi, Kumta route. Please recommend. I have a Santro.

-Rajiv
Recommended

No issues at all.

Abhi
Old 25th March 2009, 13:51   #401
BHPian

I took abhi's advice on this.
2nd his Recommendation.
Old 25th March 2009, 15:12   #402
Senior - BHPian

How are roads from Shimoga to Honnavara? also NH17??

Shimoga to Sagara the road was very rough in last November not sure of the condition now?
Old 25th March 2009, 15:35   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
How are roads from Shimoga to Honnavara? also NH17??

Shimoga to Sagara the road was very rough in last November not sure of the condition now?
I covered Bangalore-Goa-Mumbai in the last week of decemeber last year.

Sagara to Honnavar the road surface was pretty much Ok back then, there would be an odd pothole here and there but nothing too bad. Shimoga to Sagar is not in a very bad state IIRC. But if you're looking for GQ'esque roads, you will not get it there!

NH-17 till you are inside KA is not that good, the road surface is broken at few places, but then there are some really good patches in between too. Once in GA the roads are a bliss.

Last edited by praful : 25th March 2009 at 15:37.
Old 25th March 2009, 15:43   #404
Senior - BHPian

praful, Thanks for the update

am used to bad roads and my beast does not mind rough patches
Old 25th March 2009, 15:48   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
praful, Thanks for the update

am used to bad roads and my beast does not mind rough patches
Then you'll love this stretch. Especially from Sagar to Honnavar and from there to Goa....beautiful stretch of road there!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks