Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2009, 17:43   #526
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ravi and goandude. I heard rains will be declining by september and thought of enjoying a pleasant goan week during Sept end with off season benefits (was trying to utilize some hotel voichers which will expire by Sept 30th 2009).

Should I replan? I was targeting 18th to 21st Sept 2009 being a long Weekend
Old 23rd July 2009, 18:11   #527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Thanks Addy. What route do i take from Sringeri to Agumbe (Koppa or Karkal)? I was checking the google maps and got confused. Then Post Agumbe one route goes towards manipal and the other goes towards Tirthehalli. Which one is this ?

The plan is completely flexible and only aimed at enjoying the drive and relaxing in Goa for a while, then back. So if there are any other suggestions please feel free to provide your inputs
There is a direct route from Sringeri to Agumbe. It is narrow & has a lot of twisties. It should be around 30 kms. There are adequate signboards indicating direction to Agumbe. No need to go to Koppa. KSRTC buses going to Agumbe take the Koppa route because the buses are to big for this route. Google maps does not show a lot of routes.

After Agumbe, take the road towards Manipal. After you descend the ghats, you will reach a village called Someshwara. After Someshwara, you will get a fork. Straight goes towards Manipal, right goes to Shankarnarayana, Haladi, Baindur, Kundapur. Take a right towards Shankarnarayana and travel towards Baindur. You will travelling parallel to the ghats.

The road conditions are good for atleast 80% of the way. No need to worry on that front.

Fellow BHPian lohithrao has added a few pics of this place. Check out this link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1395720-post765.html

Last edited by addyhemmige : 23rd July 2009 at 18:16.
Old 23rd July 2009, 21:00   #528
Senior - BHPian

Awesome Thanks a zillion bro. This will be the route them. Cant wait for September end.
Old 5th August 2009, 10:15   #529
BHPian

Bangalore to Goa

I am planning to travel to Goa in September 2009 in my Scorpio. I would like to know which route to take, Via Shimoga - Honnavar or Via Hubli>Ankola. I also would be breaking my journey at either Kumta or Hubli, can anuone suggest a good place in Hubli.
Old 5th August 2009, 13:55   #530
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion: Take blre - shimoga - jog falls - sharavati valley - honnavara - Kumta and stay in hotel Panduranga international at Kumta(around 480km).

Leave Kumta to Goa. While coming back take Sawantawaadi-Amboli-Belgaum-Hubli-Bangalore(around 650km). My experience and mind says avoid routes via Hubli-yellapura or Sirsi unless you want to cover places there.

To stay in Hubli think about dharwad also which has decent hotels/restaurants.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 5th August 2009, 19:51   #531
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh1968 View Post
I am planning to travel to Goa in September 2009 in my Scorpio. I would like to know which route to take, Via Shimoga - Honnavar or Via Hubli>Ankola. I also would be breaking my journey at either Kumta or Hubli, can anuone suggest a good place in Hubli.
Try hotel Hans or Hotel Naveen. Both are on your left hand side on the Hubli-Dharwad highway. You can't miss them.
Old 6th August 2009, 10:21   #532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post

My experience and mind says avoid routes via Hubli-yellapura or Sirsi unless you want to cover places there.

Ravi.
Hi Ravi,

Any specific reasons? I was planning to use this route for my September travel which is my first trip to Goa and the drive will be on my Palio with my wifey, kid along with my friend and his wife (Full pack).

Narrowed down to the below two routes after researching google map and
offcourse TBHP. Not much sure of the latest road conditions.

Route 1
---------
Bangalore - Tumkur - Chitrdurga - Davangere - Ranibennur - Haveri - (Huballi) - (Dharwad)(left) - (Khanapur)(left) - Molem - Tisk - Curti - Patto Colony - Panaji

Route 2
---------
Bangalore - Tumkur - Chitrdurga - Davangere - Ranibennur - Haveri(left) - Sirsi - Mirjan (after Kumta) - Karwar - Paloem - Cuncolim - Panaji

I was planning to start bit early like 2AM targetting to reach by 2PM with 3 or 4 small breaks. We need a hassle free travel since the kid is too young. Please guide!!!

Last edited by jacs : 6th August 2009 at 10:30.
Old 7th August 2009, 08:56   #533
Senior - BHPian

Hi, can anyone update me on the condition of goa - karwar and karwar - yellapur - hubli. Im doing goa bangy on 10th and return on 16th. thus the requirement to know the road conditions. I find this route the quickest of the lot around 700 kms of which 400 of NH4. Unless of course there is a relaid NH4A..(wishful thinking) then Goa ponda Londa Kitur would be shortest and fastest route.
Old 7th August 2009, 09:25   #534
Senior - BHPian

It depends how best we utilize 4 lane road. The one who drive real fast in 4 lane road choose via Hubli-kittur-Londa route or via belgaum - amboli. The one who love drive in forest choose via Shimoga. Between Shimoga - Honnavara - Karwar (250km) there will be at least 50km patchy/bumpy roads.

Only advantage via shimoga is shorter distance and one can check JOG falls and Sharavati valley on the way and love greenary.

The person who would like to cover it fast I suggest take via hubli-belgaum or kittur/londa.

Hubli-Yellapura-Ankola-Karwar road although not silky smooth I heard better than previous year's condition. But its longest route(extra 50km).

Haveri-sirsi-devimane ghat has 30 odd km bad roads but not bad at all. Its one of shortest routes too. ghat roads will cut down speed but one can enjoy ghat section scenary.

Ravi.
Old 7th August 2009, 11:58   #535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
It depends how best we utilize 4 lane road. The one who drive real fast in 4 lane road choose via Hubli-kittur-Londa route or via belgaum - amboli. I'm in a hurry and scenery is not important this time.

Only advantage via shimoga is shorter distance and one can check JOG falls and Sharavati valley on the way and love greenary.

The person who would like to cover it fast I suggest take via hubli-belgaum or kittur/londa. How is this road?

Hubli-Yellapura-Ankola-Karwar road although not silky smooth I heard better than previous year's condition. Cheers But its longest route(extra 50km).

Haveri-sirsi-devimane ghat has 30 odd km bad roads but not bad at all. Its one of shortest routes too. ghat roads will cut down speed but one can enjoy ghat section scenary. It takes longer time.

Ravi.
Thanks Ravi, My remarks in Bold. but I was looking for the fastest means to get to bangy. and the condition of the Londa Ponda Kittur road. Anybody been through this road recently?
Old 7th August 2009, 12:21   #536
BANNED

I too would prefer taking the Shimoga route and all the bad stretches have been relaid. Somehow this route has always been the quickest and the most exciting for me.

One doesn't even have to hit Hubli or Dharwad if your taking the GQ. About 10kms from Hubli you can take the bypass and direct go via the Ankola ghat section. The Ankola ghat section allows some spirited driving though. But the section between Chitradurga to Haveri isn't great.

Also the Londa-Ponda-Castle Rock-Belgaum route is also been relaid and is a wonderful stretch to drive.
Old 7th August 2009, 13:06   #537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Also the Londa-Ponda-Castle Rock-Belgaum route is also been relaid and is a wonderful stretch to drive.
You mean that . so LOnda POnda Khuapur Kittur would be fastest from Goa to NH4? Because one does not have to go north right upto Belgaum.
Old 7th August 2009, 13:21   #538
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
So LOnda POnda Khuapur Kittur would be fastest from Goa to NH4? Because one does not have to go north right upto Belgaum.
If the road is good that is. If not it makes sense to go via Karwar. Considering the rain in thos parts last month, I am not sure any relaid road on the Karnataka side will hold. But miracles are possible

Where you starting from? North or South Goa.

If North take Sawantwadi - Belgaum route. Considering the Londa section is bad.

If South take Karwar - Ankola route. Would take the sametime anyways with probably an hour saved to the max.

PS: I havent been to Goa by road for the last 11 months.

Last edited by Spitfire : 7th August 2009 at 13:22.
Old 7th August 2009, 15:53   #539
BANNED

When I was coming back from Goa last year the locals said the shortcut to Kittur (SH-31) Dharwad (SH-93) were in pretty bad shape (unmotorable actually) and advised me to take the longer Khanapur-Belgaum-Dharwad route. So not sure about the status of the Kittur route.

But since 2 months back I was coming back from Bombay, we took the Belgaum route and I must say NH-4A (I think) was in fabulous shape.

If not stick to NH-63, Yellapur, Ankola, Karwar (NH-17).

But my favourite route is the NH-206.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 7th August 2009 at 15:57.
Old 7th August 2009, 16:03   #540
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
But since 2 months back I was coming back from Bombay, we took the Belgaum route and I must say NH-4A (I think) was in fabulous shape.
You drove through Goa on the way back?

Most Viewed