Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2009, 18:53   #631
BHPian

Hi All,
I am also planning to go to Goa from 9/28 to 10/2.
9/26 - Bangalore to Chikmaglur (one day stay)
9/27 – Chikmagalur – Jog falls - stay at Kasarkod or Kumta or Gokarna for just night stay. Please suggest a decent hotel int his area(or any other city)
9/28 - <to be finalized> to goa.
Old 6th September 2009, 20:22   #632
Senior - BHPian

I suggest stay at Panduranga International, Kumta which is very good in that area with good food and it is side of nh17.

By the way water is released in Linganamakki and in couple of days If more than 1 lac. csq water released then expect flooding in JOG. However this time water is released before damm is full completly to avoid flooding! There is lot of potential for more rain in next 1 week so I feel next 2 weeks JOG will be beauty to watch!

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 7th September 2009, 01:59   #633
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
I still prefer Shimoga route If one is not bothered about travel time. Only drawback in Shimoga route is one has to pass many town hence sped will cut down and few sudden road humps. Lot of curvy road means you need to be extra careful.
Ravi, I don't know why people say this. I took around 12hrs to reach Goa via this route after stopping at Jog for half an hour and added to that plenty of stops for photography and really slow speed driving in the ghats. On plain land I could hold a steady speed of 120-140kms throughout. IIRC, the travel time through Hubli-Ankola is also nearly the same. You lose out on time from Chitradurga-Haveri and the extremely long Ankola ghats section.
Old 7th September 2009, 09:54   #634
Senior - BHPian

I totally agree Rahul, Most of my relative take route via Shimoga since it would be easy to navigate. But there are few curves and spots where one need to be careful as far as speed is concerned. But overall very nice route to drive even in hot summer.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 7th September 2009, 15:33   #635
BHPian

Latest condition : Chitradurga-Haveri section (NH4)

Those planning to take NH4 route, think again. Diversions on the Chitradurga-Haveri section (NH4) have gone worse due to rains during the last week. Saw many cars crawling trying to avoid big potholes on this section - during my Belgaum-B'lore drive on saturday (6th).

cheers,
Old 7th September 2009, 15:49   #636
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-47 View Post
Those planning to take NH4 route, think again. Diversions on the Chitradurga-Haveri section (NH4) have gone worse due to rains during the last week. Saw many cars crawling trying to avoid big potholes on this section - during my Belgaum-B'lore drive on saturday (6th).

cheers,
Copy-paste from Bangalore-Mumbai thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Last weekend, I drove from Bangalore to Belgaum.

The bad roads which were tolerable have become worse. Specially from the stretch between Chitradurga to Ranebennur. I literally thought my GTX's suspension would fail me. I only picked up speed just 60 kms before Hubli. Before that one has to concentrate all the time for the horrible diversions and the big pile up of potholes.

I don't think this is going to improve any sooner. Piece meal approach with poor workmanship will prevail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Thats some seriously bad news man. To think of it, I was getting mentally prepared for this journey on the last week of this month. Guess I'll have to hire an army tank for Chit - Ranebennur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
The rains didn't help either specially in the diversions. If you recall, red mud and some stones are used wherever there is a diversion. This has gone for a toss because of the rains and you see red water everywhere. Your car will get painted with beautiful colours for sure

I saw lot of cars stranded just before or after the diversions. Yup, army tank is a better bet for the trip.
Old 7th September 2009, 17:01   #637
Senior - BHPian

Its really a bad news on the worse condition of NH4, I was planning Goa- Savanthwadi-Amboli-Belgaum-Huballi-Tumkur-Bangalore route for my return journey during this month end.

Seems I have to stick to Shimoga route for return journey aswell.
Old 7th September 2009, 17:53   #638
Senior - BHPian

I suggest still you stick to Savanthwadi-Amboli-hubli-blre route since first half and last quarter makes you feel forget haveri-chitradurga stretch(max. 40km bad roads). Even via Shimoga there is 40km bad stretch in nh17 and after JOG falls.

There is bad road in every route in every rainy season but scenary will make us forget that.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 7th September 2009, 21:18   #639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I suggest still you stick to Savanthwadi-Amboli-hubli-blre route Regards,

Ravi.
Ravi, would like to know what the NH4A belgaum - goa route, would be like now with the rains
Regards

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 7th September 2009 at 21:19.
Old 8th September 2009, 00:43   #640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Ravi, I don't know why people say this. I took around 12hrs to reach Goa via this route after stopping at Jog for half an hour and added to that plenty of stops for photography and really slow speed driving in the ghats. On plain land I could hold a steady speed of 120-140kms throughout. IIRC, the travel time through Hubli-Ankola is also nearly the same. You lose out on time from Chitradurga-Haveri and the extremely long Ankola ghats section.
The NH206 route is my favourite highway in Karnataka. Low traffic, mostly good roads, lush green scenery, twisties, and ghats. I also did Goa in 12 hours, and I had stopped enroute, and also slowed down on NH17 broken surfaces. Maintaining 110-120kmph safely is quite easy (less traffic helps), so one can enjoy the drive.
But there are some very sharp and abrupt turns w/o markers, and it could be easy to overcommit into some of these corners. So, one needs to watch the road carefully..
Old 8th September 2009, 07:39   #641
BHPian

Sorry to go OT; I am planning a trip to Dandeli if the NH4 is in a bad state any other routes you can suggest.
Old 8th September 2009, 09:41   #642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I suggest still you stick to Savanthwadi-Amboli-hubli-blre route since first half and last quarter makes you feel forget haveri-chitradurga stretch(max. 40km bad roads). Even via Shimoga there is 40km bad stretch in nh17 and after JOG falls.

There is bad road in every route in every rainy season but scenary will make us forget that.

Regards,

Ravi.
Hi Ravi,

I am seeing Bad routes in all posts but how bad is it actually? I am fine as long as no damage to vehicle, have enough patience to stop and proceed in the bad stretches (its an hour or two max in the 12 hour drive rit?).

Considering half of the travel would be in dark, just wanted to ensure safety of passengers and car (still not decided to take Palio or Accent). Could you please show some light here
Old 8th September 2009, 09:43   #643
BHPian

NH4 is probably the best option for you to get to Dharwad. From there to Dandeli however, the road was being re-tarred the last time I went there.
Old 8th September 2009, 10:09   #644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
Sorry to go OT; I am planning a trip to Dandeli if the NH4 is in a bad state any other routes you can suggest.
The road is good, My friends had been to dandeli a few days ago in their Spark ,confirmed from him that the roads are pretty good, took the road 3 months ago and was in very good shape then ..
Old 8th September 2009, 10:34   #645
BHPian

Decent resort/hotel in Panjim region

Hi Folks,

Please suggest good hotels/ resorts around Panjim area. I am planning for a drive from Bangalore to Goa and 3night stay in there and then will travel to Karwar and plan to stay in Devbagh resort.

Budget for Goa hotel/resort - 2k to 2.5k approx per night.

Thanks,
Anup

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks