Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2009, 18:40   #886

Hi

Im planning to drive from Bangalore to Ponda and Quepem, next week. Small car- wagon R. Need driving directions based on road conditions from Hubli/Dharwad.. until then will take NH4. Could someone who has done the trip very recently help?

Thanks
Old 20th December 2009, 19:22   #887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
My gut feel was also to take route 5,

Kumar ji, your idea of looking for car ferries is a great one, i would be watching for such a facility, it would be a great experience, i had taken my old palio couple of time via ferries, but never the new ANHC.

thanks for your inputs.

Route 5 via Amboli, Star. You'll not regret it
I've had my civic ferried twice at Goa. take it at an angle if the gradient is too much, normally ferry fellows help.
Old 20th December 2009, 21:30   #888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Route 5 via Amboli, Star. You'll not regret it
I've had my civic ferried twice at Goa. take it at an angle if the gradient is too much, normally ferry fellows help.
Thanks Laluks for the re-inforcement.

I have already travelled to Goa on NH17 from Mumbai as well as from Mangalore/Udupi. Now i would take the Kolhapur-Amboli road. The onward journey is on Jan 28th afternoon. We plan to travel till Hubli or Dharward and stay there for the night and proceed to Goa on 29th morning.
Old 22nd December 2009, 17:54   #889
BHPian

Goa trip for christmas via Shimoga

I am seriously considering using the Shimoga route for Goa .

I plan to stay in Jewel Rock hotel in Shimoga ( Planning to start from here on 24th Dec -2PM Bangalore ) and reach Goa by 25th afternoon with a stop over in Shimoga on 24th night .

Any suggestions welcome
Old 23rd December 2009, 06:37   #890
BHPian

Is Goa to Karwar bridge over river Kali already closed ?

Planning a Bangalore - Hubli - Belgaum- Amboli - Sawantwadi - Mdgaon with a night break at Hubli. Traveling with Kids.

I expect 8 hours to Hubli and then 6 hours from HUbli to Madgaon via the above route.

Planning to return Madgaon - Karwar - Murudeshwar - Bangalore with a stay at Murudeshwar.

1. Wanted to know if Madgaon - Karwar is doable on 29th Dec due to the bridge being closed !
2. What is the best from Murudeshwar - Bangalore ?
Is it via Talaguppa - Sagar - Shimoga ?

I have no clue about how long it may take from Madgaon to Murudeshwar and also Murudeshwar to Bangalore.
Old 23rd December 2009, 07:41   #891
Senior - BHPian

The Kali River Bridge is supposed to close only in Jan, should be open in end-Dec.

Madgaon to Murudeshwar is around 200 kms and should take you 4 hours driving time.

To take route via Sagar, you will have to return to HOnavar (25 kms from Murudeshwar) and take the road via Jog Falls, Sagar, Shimoga, Tiptur. The 500 kms from Murudeshwar to Bangalore should take you 8-9 hours.
Old 23rd December 2009, 10:04   #892
BHPian

Small change in plans ...

We are planning to stop by in Karwar .

Any good hotels in Karwar ?
Old 23rd December 2009, 11:12   #893
BHPian

South Goa - Shimoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The Kali River Bridge is supposed to close only in Jan, should be open in end-Dec.

Madgaon to Murudeshwar is around 200 kms and should take you 4 hours driving time.

To take route via Sagar, you will have to return to HOnavar (25 kms from Murudeshwar) and take the road via Jog Falls, Sagar, Shimoga, Tiptur. The 500 kms from Murudeshwar to Bangalore should take you 8-9 hours.
thanks. Murudeshwar to Bangalore in 1 shot (~ 8 -9 hours) will be too much of a stretch for me in a day, so I have dropped the Murudeshwar plan.
Instead I am planning to do South Goa -> Shimoga (~6 hours) and then halt for the night and then do Shimoga -> Bangalore the next day.

So my overall trip plan is:

25th : Bangalore to Hubli via NH (~8 hours)
26th : Hubli to Goa via Amboli Sawantwadi (~6 hours)
29th : Goa to Shimoga via Karwar, Honnavar (7 hours)
30th : Shimoga to Bangalore via NH (7 hours)

Last edited by subbarp : 23rd December 2009 at 11:16. Reason: additions
Old 23rd December 2009, 11:59   #894
BHPian

So guys the final verdict on the best route to goa is bangalore-hubli-sawanthwadi-mapusa.
Right? am leaving on 26th morning. i normally take bangalore-hubli-ankola-karwar-goa.
So it is advisable to take the sawantwadi route. right?
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:27   #895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoops View Post
So guys the final verdict on the best route to goa is bangalore-hubli-sawanthwadi-mapusa.
Right? am leaving on 26th morning. i normally take bangalore-hubli-ankola-karwar-goa.
So it is advisable to take the sawantwadi route. right?
Yes this is the safest route.An update on some other forum said that the Londa-Molem-Ponda stretch to have been relaid,though not confirmed.
Old 24th December 2009, 02:05   #896
BHPian

Bangalore to Goa, the most scenic road and in an Indica?

Hello Tbhpians,
A few friends and I plan to hire an Indica (I do not know if it is turbocharged or not) and drive down to Goa for Sunburn. I thought of driving along the coast as much as possible and travelling the most scenic route). We will have GPS through out (On an Iphone and a Magellen Gps). Can someone suggest me the best route with major cities to travel through. We plan to leave anytime, early Sat morning
(as early as 3:00 AM). In short we dont mind driving 15 +or-hrs to reach on the same night i.e. Saturday night.
Although this is my first post I have been reading through the forums religiously each morning as soon as I reach my office. I also refer to your forum or should I say our forum through my cell phone whenever an automobile query pops up amongst friends. I have decided to start posting as much as possible after today. Looking forward to some good advice. Thanks

Mods-Please do the needful if I have messed up anywhere.
Old 24th December 2009, 08:52   #897
BHPian

Hi,
Headed from Bangalore currently halting at Belgaum for a couple of days, will leave for Goa on the 26th morning.

On the routes I am unable to find the "Belgaum > Amboli >Sawantwadi route" on mapmyindia.com. Only the Belgaum Londa Goa route is displayed.

Could anyone please provide directions on how to take the Sawantwadi route ?
Also anyone who took the Londa route recently, does the ghat section have tar on the roads or just red mud with huge craters ?

-Fillmore
Old 24th December 2009, 08:59   #898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpbreather View Post
Hello Tbhpians,
Can someone suggest me the best route with major cities to travel through. We plan to leave anytime, early Sat morning
(as early as 3:00 AM). In short we dont mind driving 15 +or-hrs to reach on the same night i.e. Saturday night.
Although this is my first post I have been reading through the forums religiously each morning as soon as I reach my office. I also refer to your forum or should I say our forum through my cell phone whenever an automobile query pops up amongst friends. I have decided to start posting as much as possible after today. Looking forward to some good advice. Thanks

Mods-Please do the needful if I have messed up anywhere.
bhpbreather welcome to the forum. it all depends on your version of "best". I prefer the (1) fast nh4 to hubli and karwar goa route. more scenic is (2) the tumkur shimoga honnavar route. there is also the (3) nh4 haveri sirsi mirjan route. to confuse you furthur, there is (4) nh4 to belgaum, amboli sawantwadi goa route. all route range between 670 to 700 kms. 11 hours driving on 1 to about 11.5 on 4. others i have not driven for long time so cant comment but they are longer considering the 2 laned roads.
regds
GD
Old 24th December 2009, 09:07   #899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Hi,
Headed from Bangalore currently halting at Belgaum for a couple of days, will leave for Goa on the 26th morning.

On the routes I am unable to find the "Belgaum > Amboli >Sawantwadi route" on mapmyindia.com. Only the Belgaum Londa Goa route is displayed.

Could anyone please provide directions on how to take the Sawantwadi route ?
Also anyone who took the Londa route recently, does the ghat section have tar on the roads or just red mud with huge craters ? red mud with huge craters. avoid at all costs.

-Fillmore
at belgaum get off nh4 go past hotel sankam residency (which is a nice R&R place) go straight through the town past rani chennama circle. (she sits on a horse with the head pointing towards you as you come from nh4) road thereafter is pretty simple to follow without major turn offs. BTW hubli karwar road is very good right upto goa.
Old 24th December 2009, 10:05   #900
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Any idea what this road is? (marked in blue). It starts from Kelagiri Lake in Dharwad and then connects to NH4A. Does not have a NH or SH number in google maps, but looks like a fairly direct route in the map and satellite photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-route.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks