Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2010, 13:28   #931
BHPian

Dont take the Karwar Goa route unless you want to take a detour of 80 kms as the Kali river bridge is closed till february 4/5 ,not sure on the exact date. Other option i understand is pay 400 bucks for getting your car from Karwar to Goa side, there are some small boats for ferrying cars.

Last edited by Rajiv-Bang : 12th January 2010 at 13:30.
Old 12th January 2010, 18:06   #932

NH4 is doable in zen.. parts are bad but nothing which is terrible.. You would have to get off in Kittur and head towards bidi/khanapur and then turn towards goa.. the road just near the border is terrible and you will have to do it real slow... Night driving is a little dangerous.. you need to be careful.
Old 14th January 2010, 01:18   #933
BHPian

Came from Goa to Bangalore on 4-Jan-2010. Started from Goa - Baga at 5:40 AM, reached Bangalore - MG Road by 6:10 PM.

I read that NH 4A is bad but just wanted to give it a try cause this is the shortest route I could see. I have approx travel time here so you can figure out how the road was objectively. There was no traffic. I am sure someone with a more powerful car than indica can easily do it in 10-15 % lesser time.

For Kms between places please use google maps, I did not note
all the kimometers. Okay, here is the road I took:

======================================

*Goa - Baga@5:40 AM - Panjim (NH 4A) - Mollem@7:15 AM (1 Hr 35 Min)
-- NH-4A, Good roads. Stopped for 10 minutes for fuelling and air.

*Mollem-Londa(Ramnagar)@8:25 AM (1 Hr 10 Min)
-- Around 22 Km, NH-4A, 1 hour 10 minutes drive.
-- Roads were generally okay except the below patches.
-- Terrible for 2.5 kms. Took 10 minutes to drive.
-- Bad for another 2.5 kms. Took 5 minutes to drive.
-- It took an hour because of the ghat sections.

*Londa-Khanapur-Bidi-Kittur@9:40AM (1Hr 15 Min)
-- Good NH-4A till Khanapur
-- Acceptable from Khanapur to Kittur
-- Took this road to reach the NH4(GQ) instead of going to Dharwad directly from Londa. Local people advised it as the road between Londa and Dharwad is apparently too bad. The advice turned out to be good.

*Kittur-Hubli@10:25AM (45 Minutes)
-- Excellent GQ

*Hubli-Sira@2:45 PM ( 4 Hr 20 Min)

*Sira-Tumkur@4:00PM ( 1 Hr 15 Min)
-- Stopped for lunch at Sira for 30 minutes

*Tumkur-MG Road@6:10PM
-- Stopped again in Tumkur for Kamat coffee ( 20 Mins)

====================================

Bottom line, You can definitely take this road if you can bear a very bad 5 kms (15 Minutes drive), the town traffic of Ranebennur, energy sapping construction/dust/diversions at Chitradurga.

If you want to avoid Chitradurga and Ranebennur, the option is Shimoga which is no better than Ranebennur for traffic. But you will have to bear with Karwar-Goa small roads and traffic especially if you are traveling to North Goa. While going I took the Shimoga route(scenic), but the return route was much faster overall (By around 2 hours. Give or take an hour depending on how you drive).
Old 14th January 2010, 13:15   #934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv-Bang View Post
Other option i understand is pay 400 bucks for getting your car from Karwar to Goa side, there are some small boats for ferrying cars.
Hi Rajiv,

Can you shre more information on this ferry service

1. From what time to what time this service is operational everyday ?

2. How much time does it take to cross the river over the ferry ?

3. Price i understand from your post is RS 400/- is it true ?

I need to attend a marriage at South Goa on 31st, We plan to take Bangalore-Kolhapur-Amboli-Goa route for onward journey. But i need to return to Bangalore via Udupi. hence i am exploring this option. If suitable, we reach Udupi by 31st night, and leave for Bangalore on 1st morning.

I see that this option is good vis-a-vis 80 KM detour (6-8 ltrs of fuel plus two hours driving time through not so good roads).

Anyone one else who have availed this facility, please share thier experience

Last edited by StarVegabond : 14th January 2010 at 13:25.
Old 14th January 2010, 14:16   #935
BHPian

I recently drove down from Bangalore to Goa. Left Bangalore on 29th December. 4 of us drove down in a xylo from here. Fabulous car!

We left Mekhri Circle at 6am on 29th December and reached Calangute at 5pm(including a stop of 2 hours including breakfast and lunch)

The route I took was Bangalore-Tumkur-Chitradurga-Sirra-Hubli-Ankola-Karwar-Margaon-Panjim-Calangute. Total of 640 odd kms. This route is very quick compared to many other routes I've heard about. Lot of flyovers are under construction but if its a morning drive then the sign boards are clearly visible so driving is not difficult. I think the roads are bad for about a total of 40-50km. Otherwise the roads are good. The onboard xylo information system told me that my average speed was 102kmph and average fuel efficiency was 13kmpl. I suggest everybody to take this route to Goa. It is excellent!

And for the route which idofsuresh has mentioned in post 933, it is a quick one but it is a bit confusing for 1st timers. I took this route on my way back and ended up in a bit of a mess.

We reached Mollem then Ramnagar and took the right at Ramnagar but instead of taking another right we went straight and ended up the worst stretch of roads I have every driven on. I couldnt get the xylo to go above 20kmph and it was a complete forest area we drove through(Dandeli). After driving 250km, we reached a point at Karwar which was only 100km from Panjim! Proved to be a huge mistake. We ended up stayin at Karwar that night and then left next morning and took the normal way back.

Left Karwar>Ankola>Hubli>Sirra>Chitradurga>Tumkur>Banga lore. Left Karwar at 6am and reached Mekhri Circle at 4pm.

Hope this helps

Cheers-Anuj.
Old 14th January 2010, 23:14   #936
BHPian

@Anuj-935: I took the road for first time (post 933), I did okay, just asked for route at the major intersections. No major trouble at all. Importantly, its 40 kms lesser overall, which is a big deal in my car.

Looks like you lost the way completely after Londa and went back all the way to Karwar via Dandeli. You would have done fine if you had followed the route I posted.

If I am going to North Goa, I will take the same road as long as the conditions are same or take the Hubli-Ankola road and reach North Goa directly. If I am going to South Goa, I might take the route you took. Driving between Karwar and Panaji is no pleasure with traffic and small roads.
Old 15th January 2010, 12:48   #937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
We plan to take Bangalore-Kolhapur-Amboli-Goa route for onward journey.
Just an observation(unless you have a need to go to Kolhapur),to go to Goa from Blore,you do not need to touch Kolhapur,u divert off NH4 at Belgaum and go onto the Amboli road from Belgaum.
Old 15th January 2010, 18:36   #938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Just an observation(unless you have a need to go to Kolhapur),to go to Goa from Blore,you do not need to touch Kolhapur,u divert off NH4 at Belgaum and go onto the Amboli road from Belgaum.
Thanks ranjit, for pointing this, i realized this yesterday after posting the question, I was looking at google maps where the direction to Amboli shown was immediately after Belgaum.

Our onward journey plan is now fixed. BLR-BELGAUM-AMBOLI-PONDA

return trip has to be through Karwar, I am waiting for some more information about the ferry service. if anyone can help, it would be great.
Old 15th January 2010, 21:49   #939
BHPian

[quote=StarVegabond;1681809]Hi Rajiv,

Can you shre more information on this ferry service

1. From what time to what time this service is operational everyday ?

2. How much time does it take to cross the river over the ferry ?

3. Price i understand from your post is RS 400/- is it true ?

The price is correct. I am not sure about the operational timings though.This information is from a relative of mine from Karwar about 3-4 days back, will check with him once he is back from his holidays.

I have travelled by the these boats ferrying cars many years back when Kali bridge was not constructed. It should take 20-30 mins.

Ferryboats are better & safer option. I am not sure if they have introduced any of them. These are different from the boats mentioned above. You can see many of these Ferryboats in Goa

Last edited by Rajiv-Bang : 15th January 2010 at 21:52.
Old 15th January 2010, 21:56   #940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The price is correct. I am not sure about the operational timings though.This information is from a relative of mine from Karwar about 3-4 days back, will check with him once he is back from his holidays.

I have travelled by the these boats ferrying cars many years back when Kali bridge was not constructed. It should take 20-30 mins.

Ferryboats are better & safer option. I am not sure if they have introduced any of them. These are different from the boats mentioned above. You can see many of these Ferryboats in Goa
Thanks Rajiv, It would be a great help if you can check from your relative more details. You may let me know before 28th if you can.
regards,
Old 17th January 2010, 10:26   #941
BHPian

StarVegabond

Kali bridge has been opened for 4-wheeler as reported in TOI today.

Rajiv
Old 17th January 2010, 13:32   #942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
StarVegabond

Kali bridge has been opened for 4-wheeler as reported in TOI today.

Rajiv
Thanks Rajiv for this great news, this solves lot many problems for me.
i could not read TOI as i am traveling outside India right now

regards,
Old 17th January 2010, 20:19   #943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuj1237 View Post
Left Karwar>Ankola>Hubli>Sirra>Chitradurga>Tumkur>Banga lore. Left Karwar at 6am and reached Mekhri Circle at 4pm.

Anuj - can you please let me know if the Hubli>Ankola stretch is good? Heard that stretch has lots of truck traffic? Thanks!
Old 18th January 2010, 11:11   #944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
i could not read TOI as i am traveling outside India right now
Off topic
@ star,
Well check this link to read TOI ;-)
Welcome - Times Of India ePaper
Old 20th January 2010, 08:45   #945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_man View Post
Anuj - can you please let me know if the Hubli>Ankola stretch is good? Heard that stretch has lots of truck traffic? Thanks!
The road surface is good. there is a LOT of mining truck traffic. The heavily loaded ones crawl and the empty ones fly. The drivers of these trucks are rash.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks