Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2010, 23:17   #1111
Distinguished - BHPian

Many thanks for the very informative answers guys.

So it looks like sticking to the GQ maybe a boring drive, but the fastest and safest especially after the monsoons.
Old 15th June 2010, 23:27   #1112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojgautham View Post
I would say 11 to 12 hours is reasonable time. I have however travelled non stop from Goa to Bangalore in 7.5 hours. That was done through the Karwar Hubli stretch with only one break of 5 min.
Manoj,

Are you referring to NH63? Karwar-Ankola -Hubli? The other route via Joida / Dandeli though scenic is very painful.
Old 21st June 2010, 20:54   #1113
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

Fundamental questions for my understanding:

There are three main routes to Goa
a. (NH206/NH17)
b. NH4 till Dharwad then go through Londa.
c. NH4 till Belgaum and go via Sawantwadi

Questions:
1. Which is the best route if one needs to reach the same day with a sedate driver like me (speeds < 100)
2. If with those speeds, its not possible to drive in a day, whats the second best option?
3. If I would like to avoid ghat sections, as much as possible NH4, seems to a better choice with break Hubli/Belgaum
(Route either through Londa or through Sawantwadi) Which is a better choice out of these two cases?

Last edited by ampere : 21st June 2010 at 21:01.
Old 22nd June 2010, 09:35   #1114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Guys,

a. (NH206/NH17)

Questions:
1. Which is the best route if one needs to reach the same day with a sedate driver like me (speeds < 100)
2. If with those speeds, its not possible to drive in a day, whats the second best option?
3. If I would like to avoid ghat sections, as much as possible NH4, seems to a better choice with break Hubli/Belgaum
(Route either through Londa or through Sawantwadi) Which is a better choice out of these two cases?
You can also go via Karwar from Hubli NH4-NH63-NH-17. Taking any of these routes you can reach Goa same day comfortably if you start early morning about 6 am even with the speeds you mentioned.

You will not be able to avoid Ghat sections though on any of the sections. My personal opinion (others may differ) is through Sawantwadi is a better option since you are wanting to avoid ghats as much as possible.
Old 22nd June 2010, 10:04   #1115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv-Bang View Post
You can also go via Karwar from Hubli NH4-NH63-NH-17. Taking any of these routes you can reach Goa same day comfortably if you start early morning about 6 am even with the speeds you mentioned.

You will not be able to avoid Ghat sections though on any of the sections. My personal opinion (others may differ) is through Sawantwadi is a better option since you are wanting to avoid ghats as much as possible.
I have traveled by bus on the the NH63 many times. How is the Sawantwadi stretch? How much is the difference in distance?
Old 22nd June 2010, 10:12   #1116
BHPian

Quote:
I have traveled by bus on the the NH63 many times. How is the Sawantwadi stretch? How much is the difference in distance?
You can manage 80 - 100 till Sagar, if you take NH 206, then ghat starts for 60 odd kms where you can manage 60-70kmph, but don't take NH 206 if you are in real hurry, but you can reach goa same day via this route also, but it will take about 11 hrs.
Old 22nd June 2010, 10:31   #1117
J.Ravi

Quote:

a. (NH206/NH17)

Questions:
ampere,

Here are the answers to your queries:
  1. I prefer NH 206/17. The roads are good. In many stretches between Tumkur and Shimoga, the road width is 4.5 m [intermediate lane], but easily manageable.
  2. Bangalore to Goa can be driven easily in 12 hours. In February last, I started from home at Basaveshwara Nagar at 1:30 am and reached Hotel Ginger, Panaji, at 4:30 pm, of couse, with deviations for temple visits en route. Without these deviations, I would have reached in flat 12 hours including breaks. If you are not comfortable driving so long at a stretch, you may consider staying at Shimoga for NH 206/17 option. If you are going by NH 4, you can stay at Dharwad [Hotel Hoysala, Pune-Bangalore Road].
  3. Bangalore and Goa are located on either side of the Western Ghats. So, Western Ghats are to be crossed. Another option would be, one way you can go on NH 206/17 and the other way, via NH 4. Avoid Dharwad-Ramanagar stretch at any cost. You may be interested to know the latest condition of this stretch as reported in today's Deccan Herald:
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-dh.jpg  

Last edited by J.Ravi : 22nd June 2010 at 10:33.

Old 22nd June 2010, 10:43   #1118
Team-BHP Support

Yes the idea was to avoid as much as possible. How long is the ghat stretch on 206? Is it quite twisty by nature? How many hair pins? I think 17 is in good state beyond Honnavar.

NH4 was more like a back-up option.
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:11   #1119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
You can manage 80 - 100 till Sagar, if you take NH 206, then ghat starts for 60 odd kms where you can manage 60-70kmph, but don't take NH 206 if you are in real hurry, but you can reach goa same day via this route also, but it will take about 11 hrs.
I am planning to visit Goa sometime October end via NH206/17 with my family. I am planning to stop over at Sagar/Jog area for one or two days. Suggestions on accomodation in these areas are welcome.
Thanks & Regards,
Sarin
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:26   #1120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Asdon, can you explain on this comment. What do you mean when you say not to take this stretch when in hurry? If I can reach 11 hours, that should be good for me.
Old 23rd June 2010, 04:55   #1121
J.Ravi

Quote:
Is it quite twisty by nature? How many hair pins?
NH 206 is not twisty. Hair-pin bends are very few. Climbing the ghat section is very gradual and not too steep.

Old 23rd June 2010, 05:41   #1122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
NH 206 is not twisty. Hair-pin bends are very few. Climbing the ghat section is very gradual and not too steep.
Then its definitely worth going on this route. Planning some time during mid monsoons.
Old 23rd June 2010, 08:15   #1123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Questions:

I'm a sedate driver, with a Palio 1.2 actually you can't help being sedate!

It took me about 14 Hrs all inclusive of breakfast/lunch/rest breaks from Banashankari, BLR to my resort in Anjuna Beach, Goa. This was in complete dry, the time may go up if its raining.

And the ghats if I may call it that after Jog falls is pretty easy, incline is pretty gradual and the twisties aren't too tough either.
Old 23rd June 2010, 09:50   #1124
BHPian

Quote:
Asdon, can you explain on this comment. What do you mean when you say not to take this stretch when in hurry? If I can reach 11 hours, that should be good for me.
I said it because, traffic on NH 206 is very less, but its a single lane highway so sometimes it becomes tough to overtake KSRTC/NWKRTC buses if they go in convoy, so if you are ok to do 60-70kmph in few sections, then take this route, because they are sections where you can do 120kmph with ease, and you will see straight line road for 5/6 kms, in many protions of NH 206. Ghat section is about 40 odd kms, and it is drivable by 60km avg speed with a little caution. One thing is guaranteed, if you take this route once, you will never take NH4. I am going to Goa on 15th July and taking this route, once you are on NH17, then drive carefully not because of bad road but for blind turns. I did Goa(Margao) in 10 hrs with 1 hr brk in Kumta.
Old 23rd June 2010, 09:53   #1125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarinkumar View Post
I am planning to visit Goa sometime October end via NH206/17 with my family. I am planning to stop over at Sagar/Jog area for one or two days. Suggestions on accomodation in these areas are welcome.
Thanks & Regards,
Sarin
One day break is fine, but 2 days you will get bored in Sagar if you are not planning to do some trecking stuff in some river side. There are 2 good hotels in Sagar, but I can't remember the names, will post the names when I come back from Goa next month.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks